View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
Yossarin

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 28 2007, 20:00 PM 

Player

The Amian Recorder
"An Independent Press for an Independent People"

Front Page Story:

JUSTICE SETS DATE FOR PREJUDICE HEARING

This time last year, the citizens of Cordor went about their business without much thought given to the commercial city's historic Tolerance Policy. Next month, public attention will be fixed on the Policy, which is at the center of a political firestorm involving the Cordorian Guard, the Amian Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and a drow who refused to remove her helmet.

On the 2nd of Bemgusith, Skex'kia Vishlesz entered the northern gates of Cordor City, and was asked by commanding officer Lieutenant Galverson to remove her helm under threat of incarceration. She refused and was arrested, processed, and jailed. Eric Whitacre of the Amian Civil Liberties Union witnessed the arrest and immediately filed a complaint citing a "clear and prejudicial" violation of Cordor's Tolerance Policy.

A public hearing on the case will be held in the Duke's Hall on the 23rd of Culendom, Justice Caesar Smith announced on Monday, the 5th of Bemgusith. The quick response comes amidst a flurry of questions regarding both the legal nature of the Tolerance Policy and the fate of a Lieutenant Galverson, a respected member of the community.

"Historically speaking, the Tolerance Policy has been informal. It has been the spirit of the city, the guiding ideal behind its laws," Cordor Librarian Ellen Arkin said. "In the lawbooks, there's nothing formalized about it. There's only the doctrine drawn up by Duke Montgomery and encased in glass and gold in the City Hall. To what extent that influences the law has solely been in the hands of the elected Justices and the Guard."

Cordor's Tolerance policy was adopted thirty years ago when Duke Montgomery D'Cordor rose to power and was named sole governor of commercial capital's land. At the time, it was seen as a shrewd yet sensible business move to encourage improved trade relations with powers native to the island and foreign investment alike. Overall municipal revenue has increased by nearly five hundred percent since the establishment of the Tolerance Policy. A significant portion of that is attributed to the Policy, economic scholars say.

Although a complaint was filed by the ACLU, Vishlesz remains imprisoned at the Cordor Correctional Facility in the southern district of Cordor. Her arresting officer, Lieutenant Galverson, has been placed on leave for the duration of the hearing.

Eric Whitacre and other members of the ACLU are outraged by the Cordorian Guard's refusal to release the prisoner. "She did nothing to warrant her arrest - no criminal act, no threat, personal or otherwise. The only detail that factored into Lieutenant Galverson's arrest is the fact that she was a known drow. Had it been a hin, or an elf, or even a half-orc, he would not have asked Vishlesz to remove her helmet. This is a sad, sad day for the City of Tolerance," Whitacre was quoted as saying after filing the ACLU's complaint. The Amian Civil Liberties Union is a civilian organization of concerned citizens, many of whom are employed by the merchant's guild and by the city's bureaucratic offices. They have been responsible for upholding fairness, equality, and a doctrine of inclusion for all races, regardless of their stigmas.

"If it had been anyone but a drow, I might have considered what Galverson did overzealous," said Murk Hamwater, an apprentice butcher in South Cordor. "But they're dangerous. I've never understood why the Duke and the city sanction those murderers."

Molly Pennyfeather of the West Cordor Ladies for Luncheons and Looms Society shared a similar sentiment. "It has always seemed to me that those drow had declared war on us a long time ago, but that Cordor couldn't declare war in return. Quite a departure from contemporary wisdom."

Although the case itself deals specifically with Lieutenant Galverson and Vishlesz, legal analysts anticipate that the details of the case will become mired in a critical discussion regarding the extent to which the Tolerance Policy influences the upholding of the city's law.

// Open to PC reactions. Post away. No OOC.

Estara

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 28 2007, 20:48 PM 

Player

Estara, recently returned to Amia after a month or so away, smiles slightly as she sees the news. Finally, a chance to see Ullviri out of the city for good.

She quickly returns to her flat and writes a note, given to the clerk in the Duke's Hall.

To Whom It May Concern,

As a newer citizen of Cordor, I am not quite sure if the legal system of Cordor has lawyers for its officers, but I would be honored to help defend Lieutenant Galverson against the ACLU. I have stayed in Cordor almost all of my time on Amia and I believe I speak for much of Cordor when I say that Tolerance is our policy, but it should not be Unrestricted Tolerance. I believe I can provide solid evidence to not only support the Lieutenant's actions, but also to help refute the points of the ACLU. I, and others I know, have witnessed and been subject to unacceptable drow behaviour in the city limits. Please, let me help.

Sincerely,

Esth'ara'u'laia,
or Estara

Draco Asen

PostPosted: Tue, May 01 2007, 21:19 PM 

Player

Van Greylock scowled at the news, he had grown attatched to the Guard. He wondered silently to himself if his contacts at the Traders Federation could so something about this.

In an attempt to help he sent a letter to the Representives of Lt. Galverson.

"Dear Representives,

I Van Greylock, Arch Wizard of Mystran Talents, Artificer of the Arcane, Trader of the Amian Federdation and possiably Lawwrite. I wish to represent my dear friend Lt. Galverson, who assisted me in climbing to my feet when I arrived. I belive my vocal talents and intellegance may assist him in returning to his ever stoic duty as a guard. Please contact me.

-Archwizard Van Greylock."

Xaviera

PostPosted: Tue, May 01 2007, 23:59 PM 

Player

Xaviera reads the story with interest. "At last," she says. "Finally people are starting to sit up and take notice. Galverson and I have never gotten along, but at least he had the guts to do something about the blasted Lolthites. If the Grove can do it, why can't we?" She opens the chest at the foot of her bed and digs through it for a copy of the petition she filed many months previously.

(see http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17065)

She reviews it, contemplating the many incidents that changed her from a happy, free-thinking supporter of the Duke's edict on tolerance to a vocal opponent of Lolthites and Banites. The Banites foul seduction of Wharftown was common knowledge. And just a week ago, the psychopathic drow palemaster Ana'Rahma had torn out Celas' heart and dumped him in the middle of town. Tolerance had gone too far.

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)

Annashi

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 0:29 AM 

Player

*tosses the newspaper back at Mike the Paperboy, walking off towards the city gate*

"Well seems that my people are finaly growing a backbone. I would hope that I do not deserve the credit for such feelings from Galverson. Tho it is likely. Removing a helmet." *laughs to herself* "Removing a heart was more fun, and I'm sure presented a longer clean-up for the guard."

*Ana'Rahma walks by the post where galverson usualy stands, removing her helmet and bowing deep as she walks passed, keeping her empty white eyes fixed on the guard taking his place, grining slightly*

Jaydn

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 1:06 AM 

Player

Aidan looks at the paper and laughs to himself.

He was starting to be glad that he lived in the Grove. The city of Cordor, he knew, would fall if this kind of behavior continued. Why couldn't people accept the consequences without regret? They were the reason that the consequences occured... *he whistles to Ebrath* Lets go, boy. Cordor probably isn't going to be friendly after this...

Zante

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 5:59 AM 

Player

My name is Valas, I am a protector of the Grove and a follower of Eilistrae. I would like to present some points in response to the Galverson vs. Vishlesz case.

1 - Not all drow are evil. This is something we need to keep in mind. The majority are, though when looking strictly at Amia, I would say more than a third of its drow population are either Eilistreans or simply don't follow Loth and are not associated with Ultrinaan in any way.

2 - Other races can be evil too. Humans, elves, dwarves...you name it. Everyone is capable of committing crimes, no matter their race. But why is it that when an elf commits a murder, only he gets blamed, and when a drow does it, the whole race has to pay?

3 - Drow aren't a threat. Ultrinaan is. All those crimes, raids and murders are committed by a certain group of drow. Same as you wouldn't blame all dwarves if Brogenstein attacked Cordor, don't blame all drow when Ultrinaan does it.

*Once Valas finishes his letter, he sends it to the Duke of Cordor though Speedy's. After some pondering, he makes a copy and sends it to the Amian Recorder as well* .oO(Not only the duke, all Cordor should read this)

Piercing-Dreams

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 8:53 AM 

Player

*Artegal, after reading the paper sttod for a while considering his own opinion on the issue*

"I see nothing wrong with Galversons actions, he is the guard and did what he considered correct, and he did warn the drown in the first place" Artegal mused.

"Yeah, that's right, he did the right thing" *And as suddenly as the thought went through his mind then Artegal feel unworthy* "I hate this feeling"

Your life you own, so don't hold back.
Live free, and live happy.
And chase those dreams you always held.

Dwagin

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 9:42 AM 

Player

*Rras tilted his head forward, reading over the paper, simply folding it up as he quietly sighs an exhale. *

Drow firs'... nex' dragons...

*crumbles it up, pitching it into the trashbarrel*

-Extraordinarily ordinary in the mostest of ways.

WeepingJester

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 18:03 PM 

Player

Linnea unfolds a crumpled up paper and glances at it.

"Um."

She turns it this way and that, tilts her head and inspects it through thoughtfully narrowed eyes. Then she blinks slowly and looks away from the paper in her hands, glancing around her.

The young woman walks up to the nearest person and gently taps him or her on the shoulder. As the person turns, she smiles gently.

"Um. Hi."

She indicates the paper and extends her hand toward the person.

"What does this say? Is it important?"

EvilPig

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 19:01 PM 

Player

*The nearest person just happens to be a young Priestess of Eilistraee reading it over with a furrowed brow.*

It says... there may be some very big changes coming to Cordor, dear. Mainly to do with the Drow.

*And she goes back to reading it more carefully..*

WeepingJester

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 19:19 PM 

Player

Her eyes widen and she peers over the woman's shoulder as if somehow her copy of the paper is more readable than Linnea's. She frowns.

"Um. Good changes or bad changes, miss?"

EvilPig

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 19:24 PM 

Player

Well, no changes or else bad changes it looks like. There's talk of whether or not tolerance laws should apply to Drow. I'm not really sure what to think of it though.

*Calinde' says*

WeepingJester

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 19:27 PM 

Player

Linnea chews her bottom lip and furrows her brow thoughtfully, but keeps her thoughts to herself.

After a moment of difficult contemplation she looks to the priestess with a warm smile.

"You were very very kind to help me. Now I understand what the fuss is about."

She finds a place to sit and drags a hand through her short, unruly hair and ponders the issue in solitude.

Xaviera

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 21:46 PM 

Player

Hearing the exchange, Xavi turns to Linnea and Calinde', smiling. "It's not drow - or, at least, it shouldn't be," she says. "It's Lolthites. Bless all those who follow the Moon Dancer."

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)

Draco Asen

PostPosted: Wed, May 02 2007, 22:29 PM 

Player

Van simply looks around the way, awaiting his response to representing Galverson at his hearing. "Wonder when they will contact me..."

grynxx

PostPosted: Thu, May 03 2007, 3:53 AM 

Player

Freddy Malsent, one of the patients in the infirmary, called out, "Hey, Lllewyn, have you read the latest drama in Cordor?"

Llewyn looked up angrily from his book. "Now why de @#$% would I care what some two-copper newspaper has to say? 'Independent'? Bah! Only as independent as fas as pushing whatever line da owners want. #$%^ imposters."

Of course, once Freddy left the room, Llewyn raced over and read the story, sucking his lip furiously. He placed the newspaper back on Freddy's bed, and walked away, frowning, muttering to himself, "Need to fan dis one. Discontent between Cordor and Ultrinnan might lead to war, and de destruction of Cordor. Yes. We need Cordor to make it so hard for da drow to trade freely, dat dey must come and take what dey need."

He smiles a ghastly smile as he resumes reading his book.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, May 03 2007, 7:40 AM 

Player

Wha he mean not hins? I been locked in or thrown out for less! Like Niggle pickling that damn kobold who did as much back!

Budly thinks and throws a glance around...spitting and walking away.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Fri, May 04 2007, 0:55 AM 

Player

Ethan Starr, the editor-in-chief of the Amian Recorder, sat at a public desk in their Cordor Central office grunting as he tried to get the stains of press ink out from beneath his soft nails. He had always been fond of his appearance from tip to toe - no one wants to speak to someone that looks like they crawled out of a box in the alley, or even average - and although he loved the rigors of his hard work, he hated having to do the manual labor when the press goes down.

"I can't believe we had to print an entire new batch. That headline story about the ACLU and Galverson is more popular than I had anticipated," he tells his secretary, a buxom blonde reading a periodical on quarterly lingerie sales at Arwen & Aluvard's. "Damn Heinrich for not coming into work today, he's supposed to manage the press. Where the hell is he?"

"A wedding, sir. You gave him the day off," she nodded.

"I did? Was it even his wedding? If he's not the groom, I'm going to be pis-"

Ethan's tirade was interrupted by the flash of black cloth in the doorway, followed by a startled cry from the secretary, who dropped the sales flyer to the floor and backed against a wooden divide anxiously. Someone, probably a male, in a dark outfit and a cowl was holding out a sealed letter to the secretary.

"Wh..what's that, a submission? We have a system for that, its usually easier if you just mail it to us," Ethan began, stepping forward to take the offered letter from the stranger's hand, but it was withdrawn, and a steely glare given his way. It was again extended only to the secretary, who blinked, perplexed, and took it warily between two painted fingernails.

"I'm the Editor here, really, I should be accepting those," Ethan grumbled audibly, but his bellyaching fell on non-existant ears - the delivery person was out the door in seconds. "Let me see that," he commanded, and once he had the letter in his hands, shamelessly broke the seal and read the contents. His glacier blue eyes scanned the document from top to bottom, almost burning behind his small, round glasses.

"By Oghma's annointing inkwell! Look at this," he beamed, shoving the letter into the secretary's hand briskly before scrambling to his desk, unlocking it with a key, and unloading his press kit, notepad and his old school implements of reporting.

After reading it over herself, the secretary gasped in horror. "They can't be serious. Could they?"

The Editor scoffed. "Of course they're serious! That's how they think! Make a copy of it now. We'll deliver it to Franton afterwards, but damnit, we're going to publish that. We'll be the only ones! Exclusive rights!"

She shook her head in disbelief, staring at Ethan. "This is madness!"

Glancing over his shoulder at a caricature of his own image, lounging upon a great quill like a noble playboy, with the words The Power of the Pen beneath it, he turned back around with an ambitious, wide, and toothy smile.

"No. This...is...news!" he cried, launching his foot out in a burst of excitement. His leather chair took the brunt of the blow and unceremoniously toppled to the floor, causing such a loud clatter that the dramatic scene was stalled into uncomfortable silence.

"Right," the secretary said, cautiously making her way to the stenography table. "I'll make this copy immediately, and then take it to City Hall."

An hour later, the secretary from the Amian Recorder slips into the Duke's Hall, and within minutes, a guardsman comes out and cries for Commander Jud'vardas Kenlyl of the Cordorian Militia, who quickly assents and disappears behind Cordor's Wall of Government.

GothicSauce

PostPosted: Fri, May 04 2007, 3:23 AM 

Player

*Bruk Orebender pops open the paper and props his feet up on the sideboard of the cart. Passing the time reading the latest news from cordor*

Oye...thats why the new bloke was at the gate.
Needed doin...Heh...bout time too...

Galverson was within his rights. As a guard he has every right to look someone in the eyes when he talks to em...
tis good to know who yer talkin to.

She shouda took the helm off. What ya hidin las...?

*tips back a bracing shot from his flask*

Good ridence!

~Anne Frank

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sat, May 26 2007, 19:21 PM 

Player

The Amian Recorder

Front Page Story:

RESPONSE TO TOLERANCE POLICY FATE ALARMING

Responding to the heavy ramifications of a verdict in ACLU vs. Galverson, both the Cordor community and the island's drow population have reacted, each drawing a clear and divisive line in the sand that leaves the spirit of the Tolerance Policy in dire straits.

On the morning of the 10th of Bemgusith, a public petition appeared on the town board requesting support for a motion to ban drow from Cordor permanently. To date, several copies of the petition have been circulated in Cordor to accomodate well over 1200 signatures.

"It's a radical proposition," Agnes Hill of Hills' Bookstore said. "Thirty years ago, this petition would have been reviled, maybe even torn down by the guard. But we live in a different world today. Things have changed since then."

Mrs. Hill is correct about a change. Compared to thirty years ago, reports of drow incursions have nearly doubled. A recent investigation into criminal backlogs revealed that 42% of particularly violent and heinous crimes are perpetrated by drow, or have evidence supporting drow involvement. This is an increase of nearly thirty percent from thirty years ago, with a very marked rise since the Cordor reconstruction.

"The city does not believe that reconstruction contributed directly to the rise in violent crimes perpetrated by drow," Clerk Franton said in response to a Recorder inquiry. "Other factors such as civil unrest and changes in leadership are more likely contributors."

Alternative reports suggest that reconstruction may have had an indirect effect on the increase.

"In old Cordor, the adventuring class congregated within twenty yards of the city's main gate. There were several altercations between adventurers and drow that would lead to the arrest and rightful prosecution of criminal drow," Veternal Guardsman Geyers said. "Now the adventurers are not within line of sight of the main gates, although our own guard remains ever vigilant."

Geyers also added that the Cordor Guard does not condone vigilante justice, a common accustion levelled at the resident adventuring class.

The citizens of Cordor, however, have not been the only ones to respond to ACLU vs. Galverson. An unknown drow organization delivered an open letter to the citizens and the administration, threatening harsh action if a series of demands are not met. A full copy of this open letter can be found on the Editorials page, 8A.

"Their demands may seem like gross hyperbole to us, but the Lolthlite faith is an empirical religion," said Steven Jaspers, a cultural anthropologist from the Halruuan Institute of Cultural Arcana. "Although they do accept the existence of alternative deities, they believe vehemently that all other deities are not only inferior to Lolth, but destined to subjugation and eventual destruction. To them, the incarcerated [Vishlesz] can only be judged by her own people, under the ocularis omniscia octet, or the Eight Eyes of Lolth."

So far the reaction to this letter has been open shock, but not surprise.

"A civilized city might consider hard diplomacy or at the worst economic sanctions," Hans Guber, garcon of the Silent Corner, said. "If the city doesn't respond to the petition banning drow, the Silent Corner may establish its own policy of non-service to drow clientele."

Neither Duke Montgomery nor any city official could be reached for comment on the petition.

ACLU vs. Galverson is a case set to begin on the 23rd of Culendom; Vishlesz, a drow woman, refused to remove her helmet as requested by former Lieutenant Galverson, and was arrested immediatly. Eric Whitacre of the ACLU witnessed the arrest and has brought a civil justice suit against Galverson for violating the Tolerance Policy by exhibiting "clear racial prejudice" in his handling of the arrest. Vishlesz remains incarcerated for possession of controlled substances.

Interested in bringing headlining news direclty into the hands of the public? Want to make your voice heard in every edition? If you have an independent spirit and would like to contribute to the factual, hard-hitting interest stories of our time, please contact Chief Editor Ethan Starr at the Amian Recorder's office and printing press in Cordor Central, on 454 Inkwell Way. Currently looking for staff writers and beat reporters.

ACLU PROTESTS DROW IMPRISONMENT

Eric Whitacre and thirty vocal members of the Amian Civil Liberties Union, an citizens organization dedicated to upholding the spirit of the Tolerance Policy in Cordor and equal treatment of peoples across the island regardless of race, gender, or creed, gathered together in protest before the South District Prison in Cordor today. This is not the first public protest the ACLU has held against the incarceration of the drow known as Vishlesz; more than a dozen protests have been held since her arrest. Eric Whitacre, the chief prosecutorial witness in ACLU vs. Galverson, has led every one of them.

"I think it is important that we get our message of tolerance across to the citizens of Cordor," Whitacre said in an interview at the protest site. "We know the statistics, that drow crime is up, that incursions are on the race; but we want to ensure that everyone remember that statistics can easily be manufactured. And even if they are not, that what is important is the fair and equal treatment of our bretheren, including the drow. A citywide ban on them, as suggested in that unfair petition, is based purely on race, and in fact fails to take into account the differences in Lolthlite and Eilistreean dogma."

What Whitacre considers most heinous, however, is the fact that Vishlesz, the drow asked to remove her helm by Lieutenant Galverson, remains in the South District Prison. He calls the incarceration "unjust and prejudicial".

Senior Guardsman Colds explains that Vishlesz is still being held in prison for crimes perpetrated following her processing and arrest. "After putting her through processing here in the South District Prison, we discovered several milligrams of a rare biotoxin extracted from the venom sacks of subterranean arachnids. The substance is called "S" on the streets, short for "spider", the source of the toxin. It has been clearly documented as a paralytic used in rape cases or, in some instances, assassinations when delivered in high doses. Without her arrest, the controlled substance would not have been uncovered, and she is currently serving a sentence for possession."

Whitacre disagrees, and calls the charges fabricated, and suggests that the possessed substance may have been planted. "If the Guard releases Vishlesz, they exhibit a lack of support for Galverson's decision, and that will hurt him in the trial. They'll do anything to protect one of their own, even if it means violating the rights of a drow citizen."

Skex'kia Vishlesz applied for citizenship in Cordor two years ago. Initially, she was denied immediate naturalization due to ignorance of the Common Language of the Law, but with the help of the ACLU's naturalization initiative, a service to educate and indoctrinate cultural foreigners to Cordorian standards, she was awarded citizenship just three months prior to her arrest.

"These protests are ludicrous," Joseph Bailey, a warden at the South District Prison said. "Not only is Whitacre and the ACLU dragging the name of the Guard through the mud, they're also completely blind to what's going on in the world around them. Some of the most violent criminals I've locked away here are drow, and I wonder if they would be singing the same tune if I just opened the doors and let them walk free during one of their protests."

ACLU protests have gained the attention of several spectators, and during a recent demonstration outside of the South District Prison, even earned the voices of several members of the adventuring class. The protestors have all been provided with helmets of a drow design, very similar to the helmet that Skex'kia Vishlesz wore when she walked into town, prompting former Lieutenant Galverson to demand she remove it. The protestors openly demand they be asked to remove their helmets, and when asked, adamantly refuse. The Cordor Guard has allowed the members of the ACLU to protest peacefully, and have not arrested any for refusing to remove their helmets when asked, either.

During the most recent protest, Veteran Guard Geyers promised to usher Whitacre in for a private meeting with city officials on the condition that he disband his protests for the time being, in the best interest of public peace, Geyers said.

"We will be heard, and I shall be the measuring stick to judge how concerned the city officials are over the impending death of the Tolerance Policy. The Merchant's Guild is worried about its bottom line and how continued tolerance for the drow could affect it, but the ACLU remains unswayed by materialism. We preach the Tolerance Policy for all. Free Vishlesz!" Whitacre announced, before entering the Duke's Hall to speak with city officials. Demonstrators have disbanded, and there has been no word of a scheduled protest to follow.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 17 2007, 21:23 PM 

Player

The Amian Recorder

VISHLESZ PRONOUNCED DEAD; INTERNAL INVESTIGATION LAUNCHED

At half past two chimes late Thursday night, Skex'kia Vishlesz, an inmate of the South District Prison in Cordor, was pronounced dead after a fight broke out involving three Cordorian guardsmen and another inmate. Vishlesz has been at the center of the controversial ACLU vs. Galverson case.

Justice Caesar Smith today called a prolonged recess in the court proceedings after prosecution motioned for a mistrial, citing a possible conspiracy to destroy their case by assassinating their lead witness. Papers were filed on Monday authorizing Vishlesz to testify in court. Justice Smith ordered an immediate internal investigation into Vishlesz's death to determine whether a mistrial is in order.

"I sincerely doubt any impropriety with the Cordorian Guard, but I would be remiss not to have the matter looked into," he was quoted leaving the courthouse.

At two chimes late Thursday, staff at the South District Cordor Prison responded to an altercation in block 3C between Vishlesz and her cellmate, Theo O'Callaghan. When an officer and three of the staff opened the cell to separate them, Vishelesz reportedly attacked the officer with a concealed weapon. Vishlesz was immediately subdued by force, and was later pronounced dead. The officer sustained no injuries.

"She just wouldn't stop," O'Callaghan said. "She refused to go down. I've never seen anything like it."

An autopsy is scheduled tomorrow morning to determine the cause of death.

Vishlesz has been the focal point of a public debate over the Cordor Tolerance Policy after refusing to remove her helmet when ordered by Lieutenant Galverson, now under legal fire from the ACLU. She was arrested and remains incarcerated on charges of possession of controlled substances. Her refusal to remover her helmet sparked civil unrest, loud protests from the Amian Civil Liberties Union, and a popular petition to ban drow from Cordor that has reportedly been signed by nearly three fourths of the Cordor population, judging from the last census.

Vishlesz has no known relatives.

LOOMING VERDICT STALLED BY RECESS

Although Justice Caesar Smith has called an extended recess in ACLU vs. Galverson, representatives on both sides of the courtroom drama say a verdict is clear. Neither side agrees with what the verdict will be, however.

"I am convinced the courts will uphold the Tolerance Policy by awarding a verdict for the ACLU and our late charge, Vishlesz, gods rest her soul," Eric Whitacre, Cordor Chapter Representative of the Amian Civil Liberties Union said. "Finding Galverson guilty in the case will send a clear message to the Cordor Guard that they do not have carte blanche to violate our natural rights to create and live in a free and tolerant society."

Whitacre went on to say that he would not be surprised if the death of Vishlesz was no accident.

Since the closed-door trial began on the 23rd of Culendom, the prosecution has called several witnesses forward, the majority of them legal analysts and historians testifying to the contest of power between legislator and lawman, and whether the Tolerance Policy as written was intended as legislation or not. The prosecution even turned several heads when they delivered a cordial summons to Duke Montgomery, the penman of the Tolerance Policy. The summons was turned down, as is the privilege of the Duke. Defense questioned the prosecution's assertion that Galverson's request and Vishlesz's temporary incarceration violated her civil rights, leaving the prosecution's case hanging upon the drowess' testimony. In particular, whether she felt as though prejudice led to her arrest.

"The prosecution is clearly trying to obfuscate the facts in this case," Stonewall Jackson, Defense Counsel Chief representing Galverson said. "Fact: Lieutenant Galverson is charged with the task of defending the citizens of Cordor, and helmeted wanderers are always suspicious characters, drow or not. Fact: Vishlesz was later proven a credible threat to security. Fact: The natuer of the Tolerance Policy is irrelevant to determining my client's innocence. It is a separate discussion. Galverson acted fully within his power and without discrimination."

The defense has struggled to separate the questions surrounding the Tolerance Policy from the debate over Galverson's innocence, and have made their point clear in cross-examination by grilling the prosecution's witnesses on the specifics of the case at hand and objecting relevance.

Lando Appleman, a legal scholar sitting in the gallery, gave some insight. "In a criminal case, the defense's arguments would be iron-clad. However, this is a civil case, and its not uncommon for the softer particulars of a trial to not only be discussed, but to affect the verdict."

When asked whether the case had a looming verdict, Appleman said it was too early to tell.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]