View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 27 2008, 21:49 PM 

Player

Various small boats and messengers deliver letters from the Mayor of Wharftown to the ruling members of various cities. The gist of he letter is the same: a request for aid, but the specifics depend on the town it was sent to.

~~~

One letter reaches the Fortress of Barak Runedar

"Thanes and Master Dwarves,

Wharftown is in a bad way; we've been for too long without our Temple to the Moon Maiden. As the Dwarves are some of the finest architects known to man, I'm writing this letter in an effort to ask you what you would charge us for a supply of stone, and possibly some Dwarven workers to create the blueprints and help construct the Temple. Good food and drink will be provided at the Shanty of course. We in Wharftown have very little in the way of minable and useable stone with which to create buildings, so we come to you for aid. If you could send us back a reply with an estimated cost, that would be much appreciated.

Garth Arnemen, Mayor of Wharftown."

~~~

One letter reaches both Winya Ravana and the Okvale Grove

"Master Elves of Winya (Or) Respectable Druids of the Grove,

This letter reaches you as a request for aid. Too long as Wharftown been without their true place of worship. We wish to rebuild the Selunite Temple and return to our old ways; however, we will require some wood. Not a lot, as the Temple is primarily stone, but we will need to make some benches, pews, and other wooden parts of the Temple. We would use the fine wood in the Forest of Despair, but unfortunately without the established Selunite Presence, we aren't able to get into the Woods to log much, because the hostile werewolves simply attack us on sight. We ask for either your help in making the Woods safe for us to log, or for a part of your own woods for us to use. We will gladly pay you for your efforts.

~~~

One letter reaches the Shrine of Eilistraee.

"Dearest Friends of the Moon Goddess,

We are attempting to rebuild the shrine to our own Moonmaiden. I doing so, we will need to create a few fine religious symbols from Moonsilver. We have lost our stores of Moonsilver due to the Banite occupation, and know not where to get more. We assume that in your worship, you use much of the same metal, and are wondering if we could perhaps buy some from you for our own purposes.

Garth Arnemen, Mayor of Wharftown"

~~~

One letter reaches the Amian Trade Federation:

"Tradesmen and Merchants,

This letter reaches you in a request for aid for our fair town. Wharftown has been without a Temple to Selune for far too long, and we're looking to return to our old ways and rebuild the Temple. We're attempting to secure lines of resources, but there are several good well need imported, specifically things like spices, incenses, and other material goods that the clergy of Selune have asked for so they can consecrate their Temple and build small religious implements. If you could quote us a possible price on importing these goods, we would much appreciate it.

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 29 2008, 12:28 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
"Dearest Friends of the Moon Goddess,

We are attempting to rebuild the shrine to our own Moonmaiden. I doing so, we will need to create a few fine religious symbols from Moonsilver. We have lost our stores of Moonsilver due to the Banite occupation, and know not where to get more. We assume that in your worship, you use much of the same metal, and are wondering if we could perhaps buy some from you for our own purposes.

A reply is sent back with the messenger on fine parchment paper with black ink. It is rolled up and sealed with wax with the Kenlyl Insignia impression, and reads as follows -

Dear Mayor Arnemen,
How terrible for your own Shrine and place of worship to have been destroyed. However, I was not aware Wharftown did, or ever held a place of worship in Eilistraee's honor. Please know that your request will be taken into consideration, and we will be in touch with our final response soon. We will most likely need to arrange a meeting to discuss this proposal, you may write me back directly to arrange a time. Eilistraee guide and protect you until such time as we see one another.

Madison Kenlyl

Kjetta

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 29 2008, 13:29 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
One letter reaches the Amian Trade Federation:

"Tradesmen and Merchants,

This letter reaches you in a request for aid for our fair town. Wharftown has been without a Temple to Selune for far too long, and we're looking to return to our old ways and rebuild the Temple. We're attempting to secure lines of resources, but there are several good well need imported, specifically things like spices, incenses, and other material goods that the clergy of Selune have asked for so they can consecrate their Temple and build small religious implements. If you could quote us a possible price on importing these goods, we would much appreciate it.

*a letter arrives at Garth Arnemen's Office*

Amian Crafter's and Trader's Federation Communique
To: Arnemen, Garth - Mayor of Wharftown
From: Al'Tustra, Partner & Assisstant Manager of the Crafting Department, Cordor.

Arnemen,

The Amian Crafter's and Trader's Federation wishes prosperity and peace for Wharftown, and we respond to your news with joy and the promise of the very best of service.

Were you to buy from the Federation, you can be sure to receive nothing but the best wares for your religious needs, imported from our network of grossists spanning all over Toril. No item is too exotic, I can assure you.
Please, send a list of your desired products and we shall reply with our appraisal.

I would like to make a propostion as well: Seeing as Wharftown is in a state of recovery, the Crafting Department would like to offer the possibility of conducting trade with lore as currency; Zeek's Forge was once stocked with the most impressive line of weaponry our crafters have ever laid eyes on, yet the source of these artifacts have eluded us for long.

If you are willing and capable of spilling the beans on this, the Crafting Department will guarantee a discount on all services provided by the Amian Crafter's and Trader's Federation to Whartftown during the construction of the Temple.

Live well, to you and your citizens.
~Al'Tustra

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 29 2008, 16:19 PM 

Player

Lyle, a devout follower of Selune and a well known visitor of Wharftown, sends word to the mayor after hearing the chatter from the local acolytes whilst delivering his usual donation. He quickly wrote out a letter\ and hobbled down to Wharftown to deliver the letter in person. It read:

Mayor Arnemen,

I have not been a follower of the Moon Maiden for more than a few years, and I have never seen Her temple in its full glory. In my previous career as an adventurer and my more current career as a defender of Bendir Dale, I have acquired a modest fortune, which I would be happy to use down to my last copper to see the temple of our Goddess rebuilt. As you may also know, the hin try to support one another down here in Bendir Dale and, while they will not likely donate any funds to the cause and construction, they can help in other ways.

Prior to my arrival in Amia and my business in Luskan, I worked as a construction worker, and would happily set aside my dagger in favor of a hammer to help construct the Temple with my own hands. It is in that area I am confident a few of the more muscled hin would be willing to lend a hand. I can be reached in Bendir Dale, and I look forward to your response.

-Captain Lyle Torrowfire, Fist of the Dale

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 29 2008, 16:29 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
One letter reaches the Fortress of Barak Runedar

"Thanes and Master Dwarves,

Wharftown is in a bad way; we've been for too long without our Temple to the Moon Maiden. As the Dwarves are some of the finest architects known to man, I'm writing this letter in an effort to ask you what you would charge us for a supply of stone, and possibly some Dwarven workers to create the blueprints and help construct the Temple. Good food and drink will be provided at the Shanty of course. We in Wharftown have very little in the way of minable and useable stone with which to create buildings, so we come to you for aid. If you could send us back a reply with an estimated cost, that would be much appreciated.

The Council of Brogendenstein is of course very touched by your appraising words concerning the Dwarven. This matter will surely be addressed during the next Council session on the upcoming Silver Moon. We hope your matter can wait until that, for I cannot give an exact estimate and guesses are on many occasions completely wrong.

We do have no difficulty in supplying the stone and with Wharftown being a coastal town the transporting would be rather easy. You will hear from us right after the Council has had a vote on the matter. Rest assured that no matter the decision, you can always count on the help of individual Dwarves if not the whole of Brogendenstein.

Signed

Rugnar Holder,
Council Member
Silverbeard of the Hammer of Moradin
Beljuril of Dumathoin
Master of the Mines

joeymango29

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 0:13 AM 

Player

//Edit: Was supposed to be a PM to Tormak and I accidently made a post instead.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 4:19 AM 

Player

A reply is sent to Madison Kenlyl:

Dearest Friends of Eilistraee,

You mistake our intent. When we mention our own Moonmaiden, we make reference to the Lady in Silver, Selune, the Light of the Night Sky. We ask your aid, knowing that your worship seems to contain many of the same aspects of our own, at least in respect to materials used and somewhat similar methods of prayer and worship. The Temple is to Selune, not Eilistraee. We apologize if this was misleading.

Garth Arnemen, Mayor of Wharftown

~~~

A letter is sent to Barak Runedar:

Your appraisals have been received and the Priestess of selune has relayed the prices and considerations to me. This letter is to thank you for your help and to tell you that your prices are perfectly reasonable. We accept the offered sum and are able to pay it in full upon service rendered. Food and Drink will be furnished by us for free; it will not come out of your payment, so do not fret.

Our thanks, Master Dwarves.

~~~

A reply is sent to Lyle of Bendir Dale:

We would happily welcome any help that Bendir Dale wishes to offer, and extend our offer of free food and drink to you and your friends if you come to help construct the Temple. We look forward to your response and dearly hope to see you at the construction site.

~~~

A letter is sent to the Amian Trade Federation, CO: Al'Tustra:

Thank you for your enthusiasm. Enclosed is a list of materials: You will find that it is largely ceremonial spices and potpourri, as well as special glasses, and a flagon of special holy water only created at a single Temple in the mainland. There is also some need for a small shipment of fine wood from trees that do not grow on this island, enclosed is type and amount required.

As for Zeek, I can vouch for him myself. He's worked in Wharftown for all his life, and almost all the goods he sells are created from his own blood sweat and tears in the forge. Due to the Banite occupation, we were forced under corrupt law to export and remove much of his specialty stock to make room for their own goods: Unfortunately we never recovered those stores of materials, and today the weapons are somehwt scarce. Zeek still prides himself on creating all of his own weapons, though, and it's not uncommon for him to ask travelling warriors and merchants to test one out to make sure he's getting it right. That is his secret: God old hard work.

Garth Arnemen, Mayor of Wharftown.

~~~

Garth sits behind the bar, polishing it like always. He'd gotten more responses than he ever could have hoped for. Now he hoped he'd get a response from the Elves... they'd still need wood.

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 5:27 AM 

Player

This letter is sent both to the high prietess of Selune in Wharftown and Mayor Arnemen

(Insert Name),

Between myself and a very amazing friend, we have the coin required to fund the building of the temple as appraised by the Dwarves, coming to just under two million gold, excluding extra money I can still donate. Please contact me when this should be delivered.

-Captain Lyle Torrowfire, Bendir Dale.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 7:48 AM 

Player

A reply is sent to Lyle...

"Captain Lyle Torrowfire,

We are surprised to still be recieving donations this late in the process. We have an insistent donator: Torin Starfall, who, shortly after the Banite occupation, when on collection rounds and raised no less than seventeen million for the creation of the Temple and other accompanying amenities. That is how we are able to send out construction notices so rapidly. The money is coming entirely from his "collective pocket": His, and those who donated.

However, we are not one to turn away aid, and if you still wish to donate, knowing that thus far, what we have accumulated will pay off the Temple in spades, and that your donation may be used for general things around the city, like Zeek's Forge, work at the docks, and general improvement and investment, then we'll happily accept it.

The High Priestess doesn't send a reply, but the next time Lyle is in town, she showers him with thanks, a hug (if he takes it) and a heartfelt blessing from Selune.

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 13:43 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
A reply is sent to Madison Kenlyl:
Dearest Friends of Eilistraee,

You mistake our intent. When we mention our own Moonmaiden, we make reference to the Lady in Silver, Selune, the Light of the Night Sky. We ask your aid, knowing that your worship seems to contain many of the same aspects of our own, at least in respect to materials used and somewhat similar methods of prayer and worship. The Temple is to Selune, not Eilistraee. We apologize if this was misleading.

// whoo, thats what i get for reading DM posts when I first wake up in the morning

"Dear Mayor Arnemen,
Yes, do forgive the misunderstanding. Our stores of supplies will be checked, and anything we can spare will sent your way with Eilistraee's blessings. I will also see about monetary donations. You have our regards and respect for this attempt to rebuild after everything your town has been through, and if we can be of any further assistance, do not hesitate to call on us. We would still like to meet with you in person, if only to make this as less a formal process as possible. Eilistraee's guidance and protection on you until then.

Madison Kenlyl"

soundofastream

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 15:00 PM 

Player

*A letter of reply comes from Winya*

I can't speak on behalf of the Council of Winya but will ask them for you. However, I believe I've got a really good solution. We wood elves are reknown for growing temples...so we'd be happy to grow a temple for you out of trees. It should only take around 50 years or so before we can begin work...once the trees are large enough that is. I would be more than happy to help out in this endeavour. Just let me know and we'll bring over the seeds and start planting.

Yours under the sacred boughs

Nikerym, Amywiethiel
Winya

LordAzack

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 19:05 PM 

Player

* A brown bear walks into Wharftown with a note around its neck. He walks to the mayors office and scratches on the door. The note reads....*

To the mayor of wharftown, My name is Gragori Runger, I am a Druid of the grove in oakvale. I have sent my bear Dash, to aid you in your plight until I can come myself. I agree that the werewolves are a problem, and wish to help as soon as I am able. For now, I am in the Brog helping the dwarves fight off the barbarian hordes. I should return to the mainland within a day or so. As soon as I do, I will come to wharftown, and join my Dash in the fight. I will stop by your office to formally introduce myself when I arrive.

*signed in elegant script*
Gragori Runger

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 03 2008, 19:16 PM 

Player

A quick reply is sent to Garth Arnemen

Mayor Arneman,

I was honestly not aware of a Torin Starfall, or really any other followers of Selune on the island aside from those who staff the local shrine. I had only been converted maybe a year or two, and most all my knowledge about the Lady in Silver I have was self-taught, or infered from the lore I could get my hands on. The priestess made it sound like the funds would have to be raised, and that is why I offered up my own funds (thus, essentially wiping out all the money I have available to me). However, if the temple is already paid for in full thanks to Mr. Starfall's efforts I am afraid I would rather return my friend's one million to her hands, and donate maybe one hundred thousand to the high priestess herself to use as she sees fit. Please do not take offense to this, but I barely had over one million to begin with, and, as I am not a resident of Wharftown, would rather devote my funds to fixing up Bendir Dale, as they are not needed for the temple's reconstruction.

-Captain Lyle Torrowfire, Bendir Dale

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04 2008, 0:28 AM 

Player

A reply is sent to Maddie

"Dearest Eilistraeean Friends,

Thank you for your support even after discovering it is not your god we are attempting to revere. You seem markedly different from the large amounts of Drow on and around the island, and though there are some who would rather you didn't, if you wish to help, it will be welcomed. A meeting can be arranged at your convenience. ((But not mine, unfortunately, you'll want to contact another DM, probably Yossarin if he's feeling up to it))

~~~

The Mayor gingerly sends a guard to take the note from the bear, and has it shooed (politely) out of town before it can scare too many of the commoners. Upon reading the note, he nods and smiles, appreciative of the help from the Grove.

~~~

A reply is sent back to Nikerym

"Dear Nikerym,

Thank you for your offer. Unfortunately, we in Wharftown are mostly humans, and so 50 yeras is quite a long time for us. We can't afford to wait another half a century for our temple to grow back. The Priestess took a shine to the idea, but was forced to concede that she didn't want to wait that long for a Temple either. again, we thank you for your ideas and for bringing it up with your Council.

~~~

A reply is sent to Lyle Torrowfire

"Captain Lyle Torrowfire,

We're not offended by the removal of your offer at all. As the owner of a business myself, I understand how properly managing your money is a very important thing, especially when that money is going to your own hometown. We still thank you for your offer, and hope to see you at the christening of the Temple when it is built, if not earlier during the construction. Best of luck to improving your own city, the Hin of the Dale have always been a friendly bunch, though we don't often get to travel between each other.

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 06 2008, 21:38 PM 

Player

A small fleet of ships was leaving the Brogendenstein docks, heading for Wharftown with a valuable cargo.

------------------------------------------------------------

The very same fleet anchored at Wharftown's docks some days after the departure. As the other Dwarves began unloading the cargo of carved stone blocks, Rugnar, being there to ensure a safe passage to the precious materials, made his way to the build-site. A sour expression on his face, as traveling by sea is not a very pleasant experience to a dwarf loving the underground. After having greeted the High Priestess and introduced himself, he watched as the first of the blocks were moved to the site and headed to the Mayor's office after asking a commoner for directions.

"The stone is being moved to the site as we speak. Some of the lads will remain here as the workforce. They know what they are doing, and they will work according to the plans, which I'm handing to you. As for the payment, it will be handled when the construction is finished. Farewell for now." and with that he handed the Mayor the architectual plans and headed back to the ships.

In about half a hour they raised anchors and sailed away. On the prow of one of the ships stood an elderly dwarf with an impressively long silvery beard, a sour expression on his face, not very keen on the watery trip back to Barak Runedar....

//So, the stone is now delivered.

soundofastream

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 07 2008, 1:15 AM 

Player

*a note written on bark paper is delivered to Wharftown*

Dear High Priestess

I ask that you wait a while for our People are deliberating over what to do. You present us with a challenge but show that peace is in your heart at least. Many Elves, like myself for instance, call all forests our home and under the stewardship of the Leaflord. That you would take a single living tree would deeply upset us and call upon our wrath.

However, there is a possible solution in deadwood or dying trees only being taken as long as it isn't too much. We will reach a decision soon and inform you.

Yours under the sacred oaks,

Capt. Amywiethiel

soundofastream

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 07 2008, 4:24 AM 

Player

*a note follows soon after*

"Dear Mayor

It would be an honour to protect your people in the Forest of Despair as they collect dead wood or trees recently fallen or trees in their final season. Seeing Elves overseeing this operation will mean the old Treants and angry forest will not attack your people. If however, we start chopping down any young greenwood trees or cut down those in the mature stage of their life, I am certain that'll bring the forets's wrath upon us and do not wish to be responsible for that conflictual situation.

I am sure you can understand the need for such limitations and conditions upon which we will offer our aid.

That said, the offer of aid stands and the Way Watchers will aid with the above priviso."

Leaflord's blessings,

Captain Amywiethiel

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 07 2008, 19:50 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
A reply is sent to Maddie
"Dearest Eilistraeean Friends,

Thank you for your support even after discovering it is not your god we are attempting to revere. You seem markedly different from the large amounts of Drow on and around the island, and though there are some who would rather you didn't, if you wish to help, it will be welcomed. A meeting can be arranged at your convenience. ((But not mine, unfortunately, you'll want to contact another DM, probably Yossarin if he's feeling up to it))

Dear Mayor Arnemen,
We are pleased to inform you that we will be able to pull a portion of moonsilver from our private stocks to send along to you, with Eilistraee's blessings. We are even more happy to tell you of a thread of moonsilver that has recently been discovered in the hills not far from here. We will take the necessary steps to mine it properly, and will be able to send you a bit extra, with this recent development. We look forward to meeting with you to pass along this gift, and pray that your work is progressing smoothly. We also hope that with this gift, a friendly alliance between our Shrine, and your town can be established, past the present neutral grounds we stand on. Eilistraee's protection and guidance on you.

Madison Kenlyl

Carter

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 08 2008, 22:09 PM 

Player

Dear Mayor Arnemen,
We regret to inform you that Winya does not contain nearly enough trees to provide you with the lumber you request, and so the city of Winya Ravana respectfully declines your request.

However, a volunteer group of elves are willing to aid and protect you in the harvesting of wood from the Forest of Despair. If you're willing to trust out abilities to keep you well defended, and are willing to keep your harvest to a minimum, we will be happy to assist you in this.

Before we will assist you, though, we request that you recieve permission from the Druids of the Grove to harvest the wood from the Forest of Despair, and get the same permission from the Tower of Mystra, assuming they wish to claim the forest as their territory. Once these two prerequisets are achieved, please contact me again, and our volunteers will come to your aid when you deem it necessary.

Fairest winds,
Cor'avel Kenyr'rae

Kjetta

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 25 2008, 17:13 PM 

Player

"The Weather" is and has always been a favored topic of conversation amongst Wharftowners, as is the case for most folks living in coastal villages throughout Toril. And thus, the talk of the town dwelled around the odd thunderstorm that "struck right out of the blue" for weeks after the incident. Some of the most eager gossipers suggested that the storm was conjured to halter the construction of the Selunite Temple - though, most agreed that was unlikely, as the sturdy dwarven workers didn't seem to mind much.
"I wasn't planning to 'ave a bath 'til next month or so, but cleanliness is next to godliness, righ'?" was the comment the boisterous overseer had on the ready for those who asked.

HedgieLady

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 27 2008, 6:13 AM 

Player

A note is sent somewhat belatedly to the Mayor, left unsigned, written in a slightly shaky hand.

For wood, might I suggest using bamboo, if it can be found? Bamboo grows very quickly and is therefore a better choice, not having as large an environmental impact. It is a softer wood than some, being in actuality more of a grass than a tree, but used properly, it can make quite lovely furnishings. You might also consider using salvaged wood, from other buildings which may have been torn down or only partially destroyed. If wood panelling for the walls is one of your concerns, look into cork. It makes lovely panels or even flooring, has wonderful insulating properties, both acoustical and thermal, and is also quite environmentally friendly. Cork is the bark from a tree, which can be harvested without cutting the tree itself or doing significant damage. It regenerates within a period of some few years (few in terms of human lifespans, at that), and is therefore a friendlier choice than cutting down some other hardwood trees.

Addressing the subject of wood as it does, it would appear that the writer is from either Oakmist Vale or Winya, though little else can be determined.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]