View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
TormakSaber

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 21 2011, 19:57 PM 

Player

A proclamation is issued forth from the Holy City of Kohlingen in the wake of a flurry of diplomatic letters and missives sent to various locations. The proclamation is issued shortly after a small celebration in Kohlingen as the Aurora Borealis stretches across their portion of the island, traveling northeast. Five men meet briefly in the Keep, presumably with the Justicar, and they leave, with disappointed looks on their face. It seems this particular declaration is not meant to be a quiet reply.

A messenger enters Cordor's square dressed in Kohlingen livery. The following declaration is offered after he "takes the soapbox", so to speak. The declaration is also available in print to anyone interested, with copies having been painstaking made by hand by clerks in the City Hall.

"The City of Kohlingen joins the Monolith of Mystra in comdemning the actions of the Arcanum, and their workings in the Ministry of Magic, and also calls for their complete excision from Cordor politics. These actions are utterly reprehensible; the doings of evil men upon innocent blood. These actions go against the very heart of what the Holy City stands for, and cannot be allowed to continue while good men exist to combat it.

The City of Kohlingen urges the Commonwealth to investigate the corruption running so deeply within one of its Ministry's walls. It urges direct action against the Arcanum for an action of war against a traidng partner in such good standing with the City of Water that it has established a large, permanent magical portal between the two sites to facilitate trade. That a fringe orde of Magi, seeding their corruption within the Ministry of Magc, threatens to destroy what the people of Cordor have worked to create is an affront to the effort of good men, of honest men, of hardworking men.

The City of Kohlingen, therefore, offers its full blessing towards taking action against the named organization: The Arcanum, and working towards their full removal from not only Cordor politics, but the City of Cordor herself. The actions of the vile Arcanum run as deep as those of the Red Wizards of Thay, if not deeper, and so they should be removed from Cordor's walls and treated as no more than what they are: Deceitful magicians who seek to usurp, steal, and destroy, and anger the gods while doing so.

We in Kohlingen desire no conflict with Cordor herself: The North and South have always been in good standing with each other. The City takes affront to the actions of the Arcanum, and by extension, the Ministry of Magic specifically."

The messenger steps down from his soapbox and thanks the audience for listening, and makes print available to anyone who desires it. He then makes his way back to the city of Kohlingen.

Merrien

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 21 2011, 20:12 PM 

Player

A certain maidservant of the Vaughn household listens with rapt attention, and asking politely for one of the documents, she hurries home to send a copy to her ladyship at the Monolith.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 21 2011, 20:13 PM 

Player

Somebody listens intently and drops his jaw in surprise! He doesn't hesitate to ask about a copy of the proclamation.

Xaviera

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 21 2011, 23:13 PM 

Player

Xaviera reads the proclamation with interest. If asked, she will say that she has heard rumours of such a group, but little more. As to whether the recent spectactular aurorae are related, she has no idea, but the timing is certainly suggestive. As the announcement appears to be referring to the Monolith of Mystra, the alleged actions on the part of the Ministry of Magic or its employees, if true, would not seem to be of any benefit to the people of Cordor, who have always relied upon the skill and knowledge of the Monolith's mages in times of need; she would expect that the Ministry of Magic and the Monolith should be working together rather than engaging in covert actions at cross purposes. Obviously, in the absence of the Minister of Magic, Joseph Maximilian would be the most appropriate person to comment on these issues, but she will make some inquiries where she is able.

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)

Kal Sar

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 21 2011, 23:25 PM 

Player

Sir Justin Fairfax hears the proclamation. "May the Triad bless and guide us in these times that justice may be done, healing be accomplished and all find salvation in service so that peace be restored." He then heads to the temple of the Triad to pray for that same blessing and guidance.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 22 2011, 3:25 AM 

Player

A blond haired elf winds up with one of these notices and it's taken to Winya Ravana where it sits on a table in the council's meeting chambers. It almost certainly does not get a second glance from the elf.

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 22 2011, 4:47 AM 

Player

The redhead Captain listens, the speech being worth enough to warrant a pause in her currently active schedule. With perhaps a brief smile, she greeted the messenger and thanked him, before taking one of the copies of the speech with her.

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 22 2011, 4:52 AM 

Player

A certain half-elf in greys takes one of the copies, expressionless as he reads it. Rolling it up and stuffing it in his belt, he heads to South Cordor.

NWN Account Name: KnightProtector

Elorathall

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 22 2011, 6:12 AM 

Player

Elor is sure to claim one of the notices as his own, taking it to store in Triumvir's libraries. History in the making, as it were.

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 22 2011, 8:25 AM 

Player

After picking a copy of the declaration Malandria returns to the Grove to sit down a moment with a thoughtful expression. For those seeing her, she does not look suprised however.

When the second archdruid approaches her and asks what the Grove shall do now, Malandria knits her brows sightly as she folds the peace of paper. "We will wait, for now. It is not our time to step into public yet. But we will if it becomes necessary."

With that, she stores the sheet in her pocket and makes her way back into the woods, three felines flanking her.

Dieu_Le_Fera

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 23 2011, 14:48 PM 

Player

Thysaeryl sat in the Winya Council Chambers going over the papers in front of her... she didnt need to read them because she was already briefed about this by the Arch-Druid. She was angry though, angry that Winya wasn't informed until after the pieces were put into play. It was a fools hope, to think that a city based on gold on trade would care one moment about corruption in their government as long as the gold kept flowing in and the status quo is maintained.

"That's what they get for involving knights... the initiative is lost and already "The Arcanum" could be making moves to secure their position in Cordor".

"It is by the holy beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning, it is by Java alone that I set my mind in motion."

Gers

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 26 2011, 20:15 PM 

Player

Another letter begins to make it's rounds on the diplomatic circuits of Amia, as well as being posted in prominent locations along trade routes and in cities (other than Cordor, who's council recieves a signed copy via courier instead):

People of the Isle of Amia,

It is with sadness that the Shrine of Eilistraee must address the condemnation of the Cordorian Ministry of Magic and the extremist group of mages that seems to run it, known as the Arcanum. The Arcanum's arrogance, perfidity, and criminal activities have not been limited to strikes against the Monolith, but have affected those who call the Shrine of Eilistraee home as well.

As some of you may recall, I, Jud'Vardas of House Kenlyl, was given to represent the former Duke Montgomery of Cordor in the Cordorian justice system when he was brought to trial by the city. And represent him I did, until I was "encouraged" to drop the case, which was then taken up by another. The method of encouragement was the kidknapping of my wife, the mother of my children, Madison Kenlyl. I was told to drop the case and cease defending the Duke, or my wife would be murdered, as she would be if I attempted to inform the guard. Given she was held under magical thrall of such strength that even skilled diviners could not penetrate it, it is quite likely that she was being held by the Arcanum. I know for a fact that the former, corrupt guard Captain Yance was the one to kidknap her, so they easily would have known had I gone to the guards.

My wife has described her captors as exclusively male humans, in the precise sort of uniform that the members of the Arcanum wear. With their evidenced corruption in attacking the Monolith's residents, I have no doubt that they would attack a female half-elf to get their way, especially given their misogynistic, prejudicial view of anyone that is not a male human wizard.

The Shrine of Eilistraee hereby joins it's voice to that of the Monolith, the Justicar of Kohlingen, and all goodly and honest people who desire to see the Arcanum investigated and it's corruption rooted out of the Commonwealth, for the sake of the common good of the common people. We bear no ill-will or malice toward's Cordor's people or government for the actions of such rogues, but we do ask that you police your own, and that justice is done. Those who rival foolish Karsus in their hubris, as former Minister of Magic Reyes did when he blasphemed the Stormlord and prompted the destruction of Cordor's farms, should not be allowed to wield power as they have thus far: irresponsibly, selfishly, illegally, and murderously.

With sincerity and Eilistraee's blessings,

Jud'Vardas Kenlyl,
Seneschal of Eilistraee's Shrine

*below the signature, Jud's personal mage sigil and the insignia of House Kenlyl can be found embedded in the paper*

Xaviera

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 26 2011, 21:31 PM 

Player

A sign appears in the square in east Cordor one morning, advising the public that an announcement will be made by a representative of the Council at the tenth hour. Shortly before that time, Xaviera, dressed in black and silver, exits the Commonwealth Council Hall to take up a position before the great double doors. She plants her bronze staff on the marble paving of the steps beside her, where it stands upright and unsupported, then removes a sheaf of papers from her bag and sorts through them while the nearby guard stands to attention, hard gaze raking the small crowd that has gathered. After a few moments, she looks over the group and clears her throat, waiting as the gathering becomes silent.

"Citizens of the Commonwealth of Cordor, visitors, honoured guests!" she begins. "My name is Xaviera, and as many of you know, I have recently been elected to the post of Minister of Health and Public Welfare."

The guardsman, fixing his steely gaze on a member of the crowd, mutters "I can call up ten law knights in just three seconds." Xaviera, turning to him, replies sotto voce "Yes, thank you, Guardsman... I hope there'll be no need for that...."

Returning her attention to her papers, the woman people have begun to address as 'Ministress' continues. "Yesterday I attended my first meeting of the Commonwealth Council, held in response to recent letters received from the Monolith of Mystra and the Holy City of Kohlingen. I am sure many of you know about these, as they have been circulating about town." She looks down and shuffles her pages. "I have been asked by the Council to prepare a statement in response to these letters."

Xaviera straightens her back, meeting the gaze of the crowd. When she speaks again, her voice reaches clearly even to those at the back of the group. She beings to read.

"The Commonwealth of Cordor wishes to express its shock and dismay at the allegations made by citizens of the Holy City of Kohlingen and members of the Monolith of Mystra's staff in regard to certain alleged actions attributed to employees of the Commonwealth's Ministry of Magic.

The purpose of the Ministry of Magic is to act according to the decisions of the Council and in the interests of the Commonwealth. The Council wishes to state emphatically that it has no knowledge of any of the actions referred to in recent communications from Kohlingen or the Monolith, nor have such violent actions have ever been authorized by the Council.

The Ministry's Secretary, Citizen S. Pelczukr, has further assured the Council that none of the alleged actions have been taken by or at the behest of the Ministry and that he is unaware of who might have been responsible for the alleged acts cited in the Monolith's statement. The Council also notes that the statements attributed to various staff members of the Monolith do not, unfortunately, provide any names or other concrete information that might be used to identify employees of the Ministry or members of the Arcanum.

While it is true that many members of the Ministry are also part of the group known as the Arcanum (as, for example, officials of Kohlingen may also be members of the Triadic Knights), membership in one does not necessarily equate to membership in the other.

'The truth is that our fraternity is traditionally misunderstood when it is politically convenient for us to be misunderstood,' stated Secretary Pelczukr. It is possible that these accusations stem from ideological differences between the Mystrans and the Arcanum, which may have led to unfortunate and misguided attempts by those with certain vested interests to impede the progress of power and knowledge of others."

She raises a finger to command the attention of her listeners.

"Nevertheless, the Commonwealth of Cordor values its longstanding friendship with the Holy City and undertakes to investigate this matter most thoroughly. Secretary of the Ministry of Law Jay Edgar Mover will therefore be appointed by the Council to lead an in-depth inquiry into the activities of the Ministry of Magic during the tenures of Ministers Reyes and Tytalus."

Xaviera looks toward Yaston, who happens to be present.

"As well, the Commonwealth invites First Knight Yaston Sylgerand of Kohlingen to observe and to assist in a review of relevant records and documents, as well as to present any additional information that may be in his possession that might facilitate the identification of any Ministry employees who may possibly have been involved in any alleged wrong-doing.

Finally, the Council commits to disable the portal from south Cordor to the Monolith, at least temporarily, in order to reduce tensions between the two entities.

The Council is saddened that its excellent relationship with the City of Kohlingen has been marred by these specious and unsubstantiated allegations and wishes to resolve these issues with honesty and alacrity. 'I do not expect that we will find anything untoward,' said Minister Maximillian, on ordering the inquiry. 'I believe that the truth will speak for itself.'

The Council looks forward to putting this unfortunate incident to rest and reiterates the Commonwealth's desire to host a visit by the Justicar of Kohlingen. 'We long for his Holiness to visit and see the many changes we have been through,' said Minister Maximillian. 'Our people are eager to have his blessing on their new way of life.'

Thank you, all,"
she concludes. "That is the statement of the Commonwealth Council. Copies will be made available later from Clerk Franton. I may be able to answer some questions briefly," she says, folding her papers and slipping them into her bag.

After a moment, Yaston speaks.
"The Ministry of Justice does not wish to invite someone of the Monolith?" "It was felt that a concerned third party, which supports the, ah, complaints of the Monolith, would be more appropriate," Xaviera replies. "Not a neutral party, but one, mm, slightly less involved, hm?"

The guardsman, tightening his grip on the haft of his polearm, mutters "Give me a reason. Just one reason," before Xaviera shushes him with a wave of the hand.

"Thank you, Minister," Yaston concludes. "I shall look forward to appointments with the Council." "Thank you, First Knight," replies Xaviera. "We'll be in touch with you about the details, Sir Yaston. Things havent been quite all worked out yet."

After a brief pause, several other voices call out. "What is to happen if evidence that proves there was action by the Arcanum against the Monolith? What happens to the Arcanum?" calls a man in the uniform of the Dawnguard. "What happened at the Monolith?" asks a woman in a green dress, coppery wings folded loosely behind her back. A nearby guard, sensing the stir in the crowd, admonishes "The Guard will maintain order, no matter what it takes."

Xaviera turns to the woman who spoke last. "There were apparently several incidents of sabotage and even murder that were alleged to have occurred at the... instigation of the Ministry."

Another interruption, this time from Mike the Newsboy, who takes the opportunity to solicit coins from those at the back of the crowd by calling out, rather apropos, one of the messages he's paid to deliver to the public; "The land won’t be tainted with filth forever. It is the duty as the people to rid the fiends from Cordor at every possible turn. They breach our walls and control our children, teaching them murder, and we do nothing. Defend your land, and your families."

Xaviera takes a deep, calming breath and continues her reply. "Of course, the Ministry is very concerned about these allegations and is eager to respond to them." "That's pretty... grave allegations..." the woman says, nodding several times. "As I said in the statement, the Commonwealth is anxious to have this resolved. I am sure the truth will come out." She smiles to the woman before looking about. "Are there any further questions?" When no more are offered, she smiles and waves to the crowd in general. "Thank you all, then, for taking time from your busy schedules. May you all have a pleasant and prosperous day." Turning, she enters the Council Hall, the guardsman holding open the door for her.

"Thank you, Guardsman," she says, as the portal closes behind her with a heavy thud.

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt

Nivo

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 27 2011, 20:50 PM 

Player

Circulated throughout the diplomatic circuit of Amia. To the leaders of Kohlingen, Winya Ravana, the Shrine, The Grove, and Bendir Dale. A copy as well is delivered to Cordor's Commonwealth Center, care of the Council. This one also finds itself tacked up publicly in Cordor upon prominent message-boards. It is not replaced.

~~~

The Monolith of Mystra firmly reiterates its claims against Cordor's Ministry of Magic:

That the Ministry of Magic instigated an attack upon the Monolith through the use of agents named in our previous statement. Those agents being: Ascalon, and the half-red Rras-Rrari. An attack in which three members of the tower were slain. The remains of the provost of the tower, Zenith al'Nazir, and the tower's engineering professor, Kimli Wakenel, are still missing in the wake of this vile and aggressive act. Furthermore, we reiterate the sabotage conducted by these agents of the Ministry upon the Monolith. Upon our construct guardians, and upon the device known as 'the Machine.' That the sabotage done to the contraption now puts the tower in dire peril, due to the nature of the tampering. Namely, that it has been permanently connected to the ley-lines, and that a massive "wave" of highly concentrated and energized ley-energy, the aurora borealis that can be seen in the skies, now approaches the Monolith. The origin of the aurora borealis? Cordor. This is no simple coincidence. This is a fact. It can not be waved away by vague dismissals and obfuscations.

Citizen S. Pelczukr claims that the evidences provided by the Monolith do not include specifics such as names of members of the Ministry who instigated the attacks. This is an unreasonable and illogical expectation. I remind: The Ministry has been named, in sworn statements, as the instigators of the attack and sabotage upon the Monolith. Members of the Arcanum, the same fraternity of magicians that control the Ministry of Magic, were confirmed to be at the Monolith of Mystra the night of the attack. They lured the tower's chief diviner, Meram, from her chambers under false pretenses, upon the hour of the attack, so she might not sense the vile attack and sabotage recounted by Tuomas Valo and Ascalon in prior statements released by the Monolith. This is no simple coincidence. These are facts. They can not be waved away by vague dismissals and obfuscations.

Furthermore, to expound upon Citizen Pelczukr's claims of "differences" between the Arcanum and the Mystran faith. He is correct. The Arcanum are a racist and sexist cabal of magicians, who show no reverence or respect for the gods. They exclude females and non-humans from their ranks. They believe magic belongs to magicians. They propose an elitist view of magic. They foster hubris and pride in their members. They espouse and idealize ancient Netheril, and the same beliefs that led to the Folly of Karsus. I quote the former Minister of Magic Collin Reyes - the Minister who deigned himself worthy to challenge Talos, and imperiled the entire city of Cordor - who likewise was leader of the Arcanum, from a thesis penned during his senior year at Mystra's Grove. To give context to the following, it should be known that Reyes was responsible for much of the theory and creation of the now infamous portal wands.

"Although some of the administration of this Tower will see my enclosed dissertation as an opportunity to revolutionize rapid transit for the individual or, with tweaking that is not in the scope of my research here, mass transit, ostensibly for the science of it and more directly for crass marketing purposes, I must herewith stand in opposition; magic is for magicians, our gifts for the gifted, the Art for Artists. In the hands of the mundane, the uninitiated, the ignorant, the foolish, or the typical mercenary adventurer, my portal rod design loses its status as a genuine work of artifice and becomes nothing more than a product and I, no longer a Magi, but a peddler of teleporting trinkets."

This is the philosophy that guides Cordor's Ministry of Magic in the present day. It is not for the good of the people of Cordor, nor the good of Amia, and as magicians in service of Mystra and Azuth, the Monolith must challenge this dangerous ideology. The Monolith of Mystra stands in opposition to this fraternity that remains in a position of power in our neighbor-still by the ley-line, Cordor. In opposition alongside the Holy City of Kohlingen and the Justicar, and now, the Shrine of Eilistraee.

It is not conflict with the people of Cordor that we desire. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Arcanum is guided by an ideology that does not respect or value the non-wizard, the non-human, or the female. This is not the ideology that the Commonwealth was founded upon. To be common in health, wealth, and prosperity. It is antithetical to the precepts that founded the Commonwealth, and furthermore, it is antithetical to the wisdom of the gods of magic who teach magic is a gift to be used responsibly for the good of all.

It is also noted by the Monolith that Citizen S. Pelczukr does not deny that the entire Ministry of Magic is comprised of the Arcanum.

This is no mere "misunderstanding."

The Monolith does acknowledge the investigation that has been ordered by the Council of the Commonwealth. Furthermore, while Lord Yaston of the Triadic Knights is a man of the utmost honor and integrity, the Monolith questions if he is fully qualified to review documents of a highly arcane nature alone. We therefore assert the need for further transparency in this investigation, ought it to be seen as a genuine effort on the part of the Council.

Blessings of the Mother of All Magic,

~~~

Dwagin

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 3:18 AM 

Player

A shadow-drenched magi does seem to be spending some time in Cordor, walking about. Stroking his chin, hours, if not days. Just walking about the city streets.

Though nearly always under the guise of Invisibility and Shadow-shield, and Mind-blank.

-Extraordinarily ordinary in the mostest of ways.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 4:02 AM 

DM

The new proclamation from the Monolith can be seen being put up at the various indicated places by an energetic, if jumpy copper dragon kin known as Zelly.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 4:52 AM 

Player

After some time, Captain Nevaeh Tarvencia speaks on the matter, and similarly to other notices, a single copy is placed on a noticeboard for each district, and is not replaced. In addition, she decides to vocalize what is written:

"As it seems the Council has chosen to ignore my many requests to present crucial and relevant evidence and information to them and to be involved in, discussing and understanding and finding the truth in these allegations before a response was issued, I feel it is appropriate that I present the information to the people first. I hope that after doing so, the government will not be so quick in the future to declare ignorance and innocence towards any allegations of corruption before reviewing all available and credible information from knowledgeable sources, much less, within their own system.

These members of the Ministry of Magic, called the Arcanum and whom have been acknowledged and confirmed by the Commonwealth of Cordor, have not only committed travesties and crimes of humanity against our neighbors and previous allies, but also against the city itself.

These described members of the Arcanum-- identified in the testimonies of Jud'Vardas of House Kenlyl, the Monolith of Mystra and the Holy City of Kohlingen-- have been frequently involved in covert acts against the city, its people, and even the other Ministries of this Commonwealth. Officially documented events by the Adventuring Division--and what should have been documented by the other divisions as well-- provides evidence of the ill mechanization and agendas of the several (if not all) members Arcanum, and by extension and negligence, the Ministry of Magic and other branches of the Commonwealth government.

Evidence shall best be presented against the members of the Arcanum and potentially the rest of the Commonwealth government in an appropriate setting, but instances of the Arcanum's treasonous and documented activities that may be closely recognized by the people, due to the closeness of it to our hearts, are as follows: The organized and pre-meditated attempted murder and assumed kidnapping attempt of Minister Jonathin Leohnard on the occasion of his resurrection on Moribund by a significant number of Arcanum members, and the Arson of former Minister Hector Carton's West Cordor home and the subsequent murders while the city was locked down in response to this significant security risk. Both of these critical threats against the City of Cordor and our security have not been treated with the same severity as other threats towards our security, if acknowledged whatsoever. Other comparatively smaller infractions and suspicions directed towards the Ministry of Magic, and the brotherhood of the Arcanum have been similarly overlooked, or seemingly dismissed by the Ministry of Law.

It is my hope that this suspicion of inter-government preference will be acknowledged, and as the government of the Council has decided to bring in foreign counsel to deal with these accusations of corruption, that the Ministry of Law itself will be more than accepting of an investigation into its own affairs and relinquish further control of such an investigation of the Ministry of Magic to the invited emissary(ies) from Kohlingen, in order to prevent bias, or potentially, further dismissal. As the Commonwealth does not have a system of checks and balances to evaluate and prevent corruption and suspicious activities amongst its highest ranked officials, to which the most sensitive classified documents and evidence fall exclusively--such evidence as ones collected from the last quiet investigation of the Ministry of Magic--I believe that this is the best option in order to assure complete truth and eradication of any potential corruption that may exist in any branch of government.

Further evidence and suspicious activity regarding former Captain Yance and certain government officials shall be presented in short order. It is my belief-- having seen these events unfold and having reviewed documented accounts and evidence, and having been present for several of these events--that these obvious suspicions, points of contention and suspiciously similar pieces of evidence and accounts could not be ignored or misplaced or overlooked by every member of the Ministry of Law--including Joseph Maximillian and First Clerk Mover-- without purposefully intending to do so. It is my hope that the Council will see the wisdom in openly acknowledging these accusations against the government and government officials in person by conducting a council meeting, and then allow a more in-depth analysis and investigation of the Commonwealth government by First Knight Yaston Sylgerand and whatever other emissaries from the Holy City are permitted. We have been promised openness in government with the institution of the Commonwealth system. If our Council does not see the wisdom of addressing these accusations in person, and continue to refuse hearing evidence and information, and accepting the aid being offered in appropriate manner and timeliness--

...then I do pray that our citizens will demand what has been promised to them, and if it comes to be true, will remove any corruption from our leadership by ourselves. It is our right, our freedom, and entirely within our ability as men and women craving honesty and a better way of life for ourselves, our neighbors, and our community. It is time that we again pursued the future we were promised with vigor, before a past we condemned is repeated.

Penned by my hand this day,

Sincerely,

Captain Nevaeh Tarvencia."

And, added only when she addressed the people in person...

"... My former Captain, the dearly deceased Dame Saelier Zeyriel, told me that our first responsibility as guards and watchmen is to the people we love and swear to protect with our lives, and to the absolute best of our ability. This before any government or regulation or command. Today, I hope that she will be proud.

Lord Firemane bless you and keep you safe."

And once more, after speaking, the Captain would politely let Franton know that she is prepared to speak to the Council, and that members of her division will likely be attending with her, whether it be a private meeting, or the next large council meeting.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 8:13 AM 

Player

There is no need for Neveah's document to be released after it is taken down, for six hours later, several

Special Edition!

copies of the Amian Recorder make their way into the hands of the news carriers who fly through the districts of the city like messengers of the gods themselves, and hop aboard merchant caravans, spreading the word on paper, for one golden Commonwealth Crown apiece!

"Ministry of Magic under fire from the Harper-led Monolith and Noble-loving Kohlingen! A political showdown in the making! Don't miss these opening acts! One Commonwealth Crown for your own copy!"

"Is the Ministry of Magic actually the Ministry of Murder and Mayhem?! Bill Hurst wants you to decide! Every public statement made is reprinted for your reading pleasure here, in these copies!"

And, perhaps more disturbingly...

"Captain Neveah Tarvencia promotes rebellion against the state! With vigor! One of Cordor's own beloved daughters, swept up into scandal!"

Coin leaves hands easily, for now the Amian Recorder's readerbase has continued to grow in popularity, and their capacity to mass produce copies of the paper, and do so rapidly, is a clear sign of this grotesque profiteering. As is Bill Hurst's own burdgeoning waistline and his complaints of indulging a bit too much in richer sauces on his meats to the extent of indigestion.

It gets the people talking about the matter, at last:

"It's just like the Captain of the Adventuring Guard to be a treasonous bitch! She's the daughter of nobility and an adventurer!"

"Treason? No, it's concern! She gave up adventuring a long time ago! I even heard she formally resigned any claim to nobility at the foot of Speaker Maximillian himself!"

"How can you say it isn't treason? She wants us to rise up against the state with vigor! What does that say to you?"

"I don't know...but with Kohlingen against us in this..."

A circle of Commonwealth clerks stand outside the Commonwealth Center, looking harried and suspicious of anyone and everyone.

"Those wizards have gone and done it this time. This is all about some stupid idealogical feud with the Monolith?"

"Naturally. That's all feuds between wizards are: idealogical. Everyone says magic has to be done this way or that way, and of course, only one of them is ever right."

"I'd rather do it the Ministry's way. The Ministry wields its magic for us, for the defense and prosperity of the Commonwealth. They maintain the Weathershroud, they aid the laborers in construction work, they make all these enchanted office supplies so we can do much more efficient work..."

"Yeah, like that ink bottle that refills itself!"

"And my enchanted sextant."

"I'm not so gung ho about the magical coffee, though. Keeps me going all day, but it tastes like lamp oil."

"It sure does. But taste aside, they have our best interests at heart. And who else do we have to defend us against the Harpers, who use magic all the time? A polymorphed seagull? And the Noble's Army - surely they have the money to hire magicians! And the Thayans!"

"My point exactly! I work in the Bureau of the Census and I can tell you that not a damn one of those Monolith people cares about the city enough to get genuine approval for Citizenship. Read this tripe. They want to take the Ministry of Magic down! That's a direct attack on the only magical defense we have against our enemies!"

"I think their rationale is obvious, friend."

"How so?"

"They are the enemy..."

A few city guard grumble while leaving duty, headed to their barracks to gamble and drink, rather than to the local inn. Too many people, too many adventurers, all bustling and begging them for words and opinions.

"This is getting out of hand."

"Minister Xee's got it taken care of, I think."

"We'll see how long that lasts, with Captain Tarvencia trying to rile everyone up."

"I've already been telling the people they should think twice about open rebellion. We have a system for addressing grievances. Just in case they take the fool notion..."

"I trust Xee, I really think she's got this nailed. I was there for her speech. Although I'm not very happy about giving Kohlingen knights a run at us. They're sucking the (censored) of the nobles up there, and I guarantee you they'll treat us like shit."

"What else is new? This is all clearly a sign that the Justicar is getting...too old, if he's falling for cheap tricks like these ones. How can he be so blind as to see that Cordor isn't their enemy? We haven't been at odds for almost a century now."

"Times are changing, I guess," one of the guardsmen says with a forlorn glance to the bells of the Commonwealth Center, as they chime high noon, almost (but not quite) drowning out the halromaniacal cries from the Clarion of the Commonwealth.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 8:21 AM 

Player

A very uncomfortable-looking Voronwer exists the Temple of Love, smelling strongly of scented body oils, his shirt untucked and half unbuttoned. He looks around briefly then quickly pays the fare for a cart to Bendir Dale...

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 14:35 PM 

Player

The supposedly treasonous daughter of Cordor, Captain Tarvencia, goes to work the next morning and catches an early shift. A few hours after, she heads by the Central Cordor square near the ferry to Moribund and purchases a copy of the publication, with a questionable few coins being slipped to Milly, the local papergirl, (no doubt for nefarious purposes!!!) or perhaps to buy a panini and juice during her mid-morning break.

The guardswoman doesn't seem at all surprised, or further, disconcerted. On her patrol, she perhaps heard the rapidly-spreading chatter and watched the feverish plight to spread the news throughout the city. And now between shifts, she responded casually in the Central plaza.

"I think its only appropriate to start by thanking Bill Hurst to take away time from his busy and glamorous life as Cordor's most eligible bachelor to provide coverage of these happenings in the city, and really spicing them up to make it more interesting. Well worth the gold, I'd say. Careful not to let the wealth and fame go to your head, Bill. It's already gone to your waistline."

She paused briefly, just to smile.

"However, I think I'm at the very least decent at speaking and representing myself accurately. I've made my decisions, and this is one among many that I will own. The Commonwealth was established so that the people, the citizens, would be able to ask for reform when it is necessary. And to get it, I believe that we will sometimes have to be bold and vigorous. If Hurst wishes to continue to misrepresent me, and others wish to call me a treasonous bitch for doing so, I welcome the adversity and whatever other names you can find for me. This conversation needs to start somewhere, and questions and concerns like the ones you have need to be had. I hope you will think of Jonathin Leohnard and ask what happened to him, and why his absence has not been as well addressed as other news and stories.

He has left the Commonwealth on his own."

gorgometh

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 16:16 PM 

Player

A Wiltun Knight soberly muses over an imported copy of the latest publication with the surrounding rumors and "calls to action" from the great powers of the realm.

"It's all about to come crashing down on them and, now more than ever, it's time to leave these gods forsaken islands...but do I see it through to completion?

The vassal places his hand over a now flaring point of pain in his chest.

"Can you blame my heart for desiring the grand finale'?"

Merrien

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 16:19 PM 

Player

A copy of the Captain's posting, as well as a copy of Bill Hurst's latest, are sent to the Monolith by Lady Emma's maideservant, Sarah.

Grymia

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 16:36 PM 

Player

On reading the notices from Hurst and Nev, Tuomas' eyes narrow slightly.

He makes sure they get to Ulrik's attention as well, although it is obvious he is not happy (although more with Hurst then anything else should anyone query).

Xaviera

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 17:05 PM 

Player

Xaviera, approached on the street or in the Temple and asked to comment, has the following to say:

"Clearly there's more here than meets the eye, and I for one am glad that the Council has approved the investigation into the actions of the Ministry of Magic and the Arcanum. These accusations are grave indeed, and in fact the alleged assassination of a dearly-beloved member of the Commonwealth's own Council is nothing short of treason. The job of the Ministry of Magic is to serve the Council, and nobody else. The Council's responsibility, in turn, is to the citizens of Cordor, and so if there is something nefarious going on, it's essential for us to get to the bottom of it."

"I know Captain Tarvencia as a woman of integrity, and I trust her to defend the ideals and the lives of our citizens against all comers. If she has evidence, if the First Knight of Kohlingen has evidence, if Citizen Hurst has evidence, by all means let them make it public so that the public can see what the truth really is."

"It's written in the Amian Recorder, you say?" She laughs. "When I was younger, I accepted coin from people to provide them with... excitement. In those days, a very polite term for what I did was 'entertainer'. Let me say that Citizen Hurst is also in the entertainment business, and that he does a very good job of it. While I appreciate his desire to alert the public to certain threats that he imagines might exist - and perhaps increase the size of his coin purse along the way - it is the job of the Council to determine what the real truth is, and to act accordingly on behalf of the people."

"The people of Cordor chose me to represent them and to speak for them. It is my honour to serve them, and I will do my utmost to see that the people of the Commonwealth are protected and kept safe, whether it be from hostile influences from without or from corrupt forces within."

Glyph

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 18:22 PM 

Player

Otto comes across one of the special edition papers, shaking his head obviously not buying it

"politics...this is hardly about politics."

more paranoid than ever the hin takes a brief look to the sky, before casting mind blank and dashing off into the hills, barely giving the guard time to acknowledge his face.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 19:17 PM 

Player

*cutting through to deliver a letter, Eli pauses as he overhears the man from the Census*
"My point exactly! I work in the Bureau of the Census and I can tell you that not a damn one of those Monolith people cares about the city enough to get genuine approval for Citizenship. Read this tripe. They want to take the Ministry of Magic down! That's a direct attack on the only magical defense we have against our enemies!"

"That so? I happen to work at the Monolith at the present moment and fancy that, I have Cordor Citizenship and a job offer from -your- actual Bureau. As a concerned potential coworker, I would have hoped that one responsible for tracking families and keeping accurate accounts of those with citizenship would be a little more in the know."

Yossarin

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 19:52 PM 

Player

Eli attracts quite a bit of attention with his proclamation, followed by questions.

"If what you're saying is true and you're not just screwing around with us, why do they want to hurt us? Can't they be content to stay on that rock all the way over on Ruathym without meddling in our affairs? They don't have Harpers and noble thugs and Thayans and adventurers trying to storm their gates every hour of the day like we do! Without the Ministry of Magic, we're as good as dead. I'm surprised you don't realize that!"

"If you're with the Monolith, I think you should never have been hired. Whose choice was that?"

"That doesn't matter now, does it? Anything we say, he'll take to them and they'll use against us. You should stop talking."

"No, I think he should start talking. He knows as well as we do that the Ministry of Magic is...unpersonable. But they're the only ones trying to keep us safe. The Monolith hasn't lifted a gods-damned finger, even when we asked! The Ministry of Magic is the first group of wizards I know who actually give a damn about the people of Cordor, and aren't trying to kill us every day with hellballs and curses."

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 20:20 PM 

Player

"If what you're saying is true and you're not just screwing around with us, why do they want to hurt us? Can't they be content to stay on that rock all the way over on Ruathym without meddling in our affairs? They don't have Harpers and noble thugs and Thayans and adventurers trying to storm their gates every hour of the day like we do! Without the Ministry of Magic, we're as good as dead. I'm surprised you don't realize that!"
"Harpers? Have you ever seen a Harper? Otherwise to the best of my knowledge they don't intend to impede at all. They were attacked and want a reason. Also, I think the Ministry may actually be attacking the monolith, I mean, look at the aurora, doesn't harmful magic usually glow like that?"

"If you're with the Monolith, I think you should never have been hired. Whose choice was that?"
"Head of the Census folks in point of fact. I'm sure there is a complaint box somewhere."

"That doesn't matter now, does it? Anything we say, he'll take to them and they'll use against us. You should stop talking."
"Nothing mages can't divine anyways. I imagine the Ministry could very well use your own citizen papers to spy upon you via magic, so best be on your best behavior."

"No, I think he should start talking. He knows as well as we do that the Ministry of Magic is...unpersonable. But they're the only ones trying to keep us safe. The Monolith hasn't lifted a gods-damned finger, even when we asked! The Ministry of Magic is the first group of wizards I know who actually give a damn about the people of Cordor, and aren't trying to kill us every day with hellballs and curses."
"About Cordor alone, but to what end? The Arcanum and the Ministry are responsible for the portal rods from what I hear, precursor to the present portal wands, that first ferried adventurers into your city and past the guards. What interests were at heart with their creation and them being handed freely to adventurers, both good and bad, and not the citizens of this city of trade who could best make use of them for transporting goods to sell and do Waukeen service?"

Yossarin

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 21:20 PM 

Player

DustSpray101 wrote:
"Harpers? Have you ever seen a Harper? Otherwise to the best of my knowledge they don't intend to impede at all. They were attacked and want a reason. Also, I think the Ministry may actually be attacking the monolith, I mean, look at the aurora, doesn't harmful magic usually glow like that?"

"The best of your knowledge isn't very good. If they don't intend to impede they wouldn't be trying to destroy our only means of defending ourselves from our threats."

"Ye gods..."

"What?"

"He's right. The hin is right. Maybe...maybe that light is an attack, but from the Monolith! On us! This is where it started, and now the trail is leading back to the Monolith! This is the Ministry trying to show us the truth!"

"Or it is the Ministry's doing, because they know the Monolith is an enemy of the people..."

Quote:
"Head of the Census folks in point of fact. I'm sure there is a complaint box somewhere."

"Aye, yer mum's box."

"Was that really necessary? We're civilized clerks here..."

Quote:
"Nothing mages can't divine anyways. I imagine the Ministry could very well use your own citizen papers to spy upon you via magic, so best be on your best behavior."

This seems to hit home. One woman and man look at each other, suddenly bothered by something. Maybe a secret. "Could they really do that? Would they really do that? How?"

Quote:
"About Cordor alone, but to what end? The Arcanum and the Ministry are responsible for the portal rods from what I hear, precursor to the present portal wands, that first ferried adventurers into your city and past the guards. What interests were at heart with their creation and them being handed freely to adventurers, both good and bad, and not the citizens of this city of trade who could best make use of them for transporting goods to sell and do Waukeen service?"

Several heads turn towards Eli as his statement gathers quite a bit of attention. A spark ignites somewhere.

"Bloody adventurers. He's right. They've got all the portal rods. That's why the Ministry disabled them. To protect us."

"From them. From the adventurers. I think it's time we did something about that problem. Remember what Captain Tarvencia said, even if she is under fire right now. She's done nothing but protect us this far. The adventurers...are mercenary...and any mercenary can be in cohoots with the enemy for the right price...we can't trust them."

"But we can do as Neveah says and stand for something. Defend ourselves, and not let the Ministry of Magic take all the burden."

"That's right!"

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 21:24 PM 

Player

A stack of notices begin to circulate, penned in an elegant script. They reach Kohlingen and the Eilistraeen shrine first, then the forest, followed by Bendir Dale, and lastly they arrive in the city of Cordor...

Quote:
To watch a small stream is to watch the world. One can sit and view the water's gentle flow for days, months, and even years and still never see the change that is being wrought. They might still never see the disaster that awaits. A town is built at a particularly lovely bend of that stream. The land warns them; the beasts take exception to the interlopers and press in, only to be slain and eaten. The town thrives, its people fat and happy, and the stream gurgles its contentment as well.

Generations come and go. The stream grows larger, well-fed by the mountain's falls, the water rushes more swiftly towards the open sea. The town catches its first glimpse of impending doom and builds a dam. The river goes hungry while the people grow ever fatter.

Centuries change hands with but the briefest of pleasantries. The townspeople revel in their prosperity and dance in the streets, proud that they have conquered the land. It begins to rain. For days on end, the cool caress of a spring's shower blankets the town with a lover's touch.

"Our harvest will be bigger than ever!" One townsperson might be heard congratulating a farmer.

And yet the rain does not stop. The townspeople look out the window as their lands become muddy. They do not, however, notice the river, starved on one side of the dam and gorged on the other. That is, until it is too late.

With a resounding crack, the dam fails, unable to contain the river's thirst for the freedom of the sea. The riverbed, shallow and narrow, is unable to wall the water in. The churning torrent breaks its bindings and seeks out its oppressors. It would have its revenge that day.

Not a month later, the beasts are seen grazing. The river, no longer angry, trots on toward the sea like nothing happened...and the cycle begins anew...

Ego680

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 28 2011, 22:01 PM 

Player

A man in a soiled black overcoat walks the city of Cordor with a newspaper. His hair is unkempt, he walks with a debilitating limp in his right leg, and an arrogant smirk plastered across his emaciated face.

"...Heh, -now- they start"

Merrien

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 29 2011, 16:21 PM 

Player

Her black silks swirled around her, unprotecting from the turn of bitter cold that no Weathershroud of the city prevented. Lady Emma stood, in sharp contrasts; deep red hair on pale skin, draped in the black of her mourning garb. The snow falling all around her and on those gathered near the jail tower of South Cordor, crystalline flakes landing on deep red lashes as her head was tilted upward—listening to the speeches given by the government of Cordor. Her Cordor.

A contrast too—opposite to opposite—she stood directly in front of the Minister, Joseph Maximillion, as he gave his address. She stood as a stone on the shore, the crest of a mighty wave breaking over her first—as she stood, trying to shield those that she loved so dear. Not just the Monolith—no, it was more than that. Not just her dear friends as represented by the Tarvencia’s. No, it was further still. She was the remaining semblance of nobility in Cordor, trying to shield her people from an evil that they barely knew was upon them. And he was staring her in the face.

The belted scabbard, hung oddly at the side of the sorceress who could barely raise it, much less wield it, was an anchor at her side. Her hand rested on the hilt from time to time, as she had seen her love do so many times before in the past—her hand to his hand—as close as they would ever again be to touching.

The expression upon her face was serious, calm, and full of rapt attention despite the cold that was bearing down upon her small frame. Her eyes swept from speaker to speaker, ignoring the whispering of the crowd nearby, a practiced look of neutrality painted upon her face for just such precarious occasions.

First, she heard her beloved Monolith slandered, misrepresented—flat out lied about. Then she heard of how lovely it was that her city—the city she and her family had lived in for generations upon generations—building up their wealth and their reputation as good and stable land owners and businessmen and women to the point of entering the nobility, long, long before being a noble in Cordor was a Deadly Sin—how lovely it was that the Commonwealth had “freed itself from the tyranny of nobility.” She stood straight, expression unchanged, except perhaps to those nearest her in the crowd—Jud’Vardas, a drow leader of the Eillistraeen Shrine that she had only recently met through her diplomatic efforts for the Monolith, Kurchin, a surprisingly-kind and well-mannered kobold who had attached himself as a friend to herself and her other friends at the Tower, and some strangers, pressing around her, but somehow keeping just a bit more distance between themselves and her, as she found most did in response to her demeanor as someone used to some distinction—for better, or for worse—as she occasionally felt her throat tighten, and alternated between quiet exhales and intakes of worried breath, the cold puffs from her mouth the only real betrayal of her emotions besides one simply-worded and whispered outburst: "Twisted half-truths and outright lies. . . " before she silenced herself once more.

She watched even more carefully when her beloved friend Nevaeh took up her cause loudly—questioning the Ministry—questioning the impotent results of her own investigations and how her reports had been ignored time and again, despite evidence, despite public proclamations of justice and citizen safety. Emma’s eyes remained glued on Nevaeh as she breathed silent prayers: “If my eyes can hold you safe, my friend, forever safe will you remain.” She practically willed protection toward the woman she felt bold enough to call a sister, though she was not truly one of blood.

She listened as some more rowdy elements of the crowd boo’d her beloved friend and called her a “grandstander” for trying to continue to speak her peace.

And then, she felt a warmth familiar to her—a warmth of magic, of a spell cast behind her, and she turned to the most welcomed sight she had viewed in some time. The Headmaster stood some distance behind her—not far—along with Tuomas the gnome, and Mentaki. She suddenly felt exceeding relief, as if her blind vulnerability standing face to face with Joseph Maximillion, though some feet between them, was now backed up. As if she were not, in fact, standing alone, any longer.

The cold had been seeping in—though Ruathym was chilled, it was not frozen currently, and she had been in enough of a rush to see her friend Nevaeh that she had not brought a cloak with her. How her mother would have scolded her. The cold had been seeping in until she felt she could not bear it anymore, but now she saw she was not alone, and others were here who would listen—who would know—who would stand with her, breaking the crested wave—who could likely do even more, so much more, than she could do herself.

The cold, and the fear, and the sorrow of the past week weighed so on her; she turned before the speeches ended. She walked past the beacon of her friends with a simple whisper she knew Ulrik would catch and understand: “Home for tonight.” And she slipped quickly past them without further glance to raise suspicion of her sympathies –although she knew it likely she had long been associated with the Monolith by now.

Quietly into her house, startling Sarah quite badly, unfortunately, who had not been expecting her—she barely heard as her good maidservant immediately began fussing over her to warm her and dry her by the fire—for she was soaked to the skin from such a long stint in the snow unprotected. She allowed herself to be guided to the fire, seated, blankets drawn up over her, as Sarah began to stoke the fire, nervously prattling and informing her that their steward was at the speech, that she had no idea her Ladyship was even back in town—Emma half listened, but fully appreciated, and allowed a goblet of warm cider to be pressed into her hand.

She dozed in the chair, exhausted from the week, from her grief of mourning Malcom and his kin, from her worry, from her endless watching and fussing over the work of her friends, from the frustrated exertion of knowing she could do little to aid their efforts save to encourage them or attend to their hunger or thirst. She woke up suddenly when the door opened and her family’s steward came in, cold, but steely-faced, rubbing his hands together, and looking surprised to see her home.

“Lady Emma,” he bowed to her. “We did not know you were home. There was a speech—we knew you would wish for details.”

“I was there,” she said to him. “For part.”

“You missed the ending then,” he began, his voice dire and quiet, testing.

Emma’s eyes narrowed in some worry. “What happened, Simon?”

The man’s jaw set. “Your headmaster began to speak, and Joseph Maximillion called for Captain Nevaeh to arrest him and the other ‘harpers,’ in the crowd. I didn’t recognize the others.”

She stood, quickly, aghast, and Simon waved his hands, “No, no—but it has not happened yet—the Council voted and wanted 24 hours to think on such an action rather than blindly comply with Maximillion.”

“Where are my friends now?” she asked, quietly, her eyes though wide with horror and worry.

“I left quickly after, truth be told; I was on my way to write to you, quickly—I didn’t know you were back in Cordor.”

She nodded, wringing her hands a bit, and pacing before the fireplace. “Thank you, Simon.”

“My lady,” he inclined his head and left the room, aware of the dismissal.

She stopped a moment, finally, her hand on her necklace which bore two pendants—one a symbol of Mystra, the other of the Lady Siamorphe. “They take our wish to return the Duke as proof of treachery,” she whispered to the sullen darkness in the room. “As evidence we are enemies of the state of the Commonwealth.” Her throat tightened, and her grip with it. “My Ladies,” she prayed as she felt the symbols around her neck. “It is time to find the Duke.”

She twisted her still-wet hair up to pin it out of her way, grabbed her heavily-furred cloak from the hallway, draping it with a swoop around her shoulders, and left her house in the dark of night to find her dear “fugitive” friends.

Perfect Paradox

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 29 2011, 17:19 PM 

Player

Corstina Flameblade, newly arrived upon Amia's shores, had been there.

The kaxanar of Haela Brightaxe stood, watching the address, listening to the words, impassioned words, from the Speaker of the Council.

She listened, and she heard lies.

Ye be honorless fecks! She'd yelled. They'd opened up by using a mouthpiece, then began slandering any and every enemy of their state, real or imagined. Calling them Harpers, like they even knew what a good Harper was, lying, cajoling, threatening. They'd opened up this war, and now they were trying to play the parts of the innocent victims, and it offended her dwarven sensibilities. Politics had never been her strong point; fighting, however, was. And she could tell that a fight, a glorious battle, was going to hit sooner or later.

Ifn' this be how ye be runnin' things, mayhaps it'd be better ifn the nobles DO return, y'lyin' prick! She'd yelled.

Hold your tongue, dwarf! You are a noncitizen! I am the Speaker of the Council! Joseph Maximilian roared.

She'd roared right back, Aye! An' ifn this be how ye be runnin' things, I dunnae wanna be! I dunnae wan' nothin' t'do with ye honorless, lyin' fecks!

She'd stormed off, then, but as soon as the Speaker had tried to have the so-called Harpers arrested, she came right back--yet the Guard lass had stayed strong. Corstina respected her for it. She even acknowledged that they were liars and cheaters.

Yet the Sharressin lass had stayed strong, and a recess had been called, and now Corstina Flameblade sat outside Cordor's gates, sharpening her greatsword to get ready for the big battle. The entire time, she prayed to Haela in Dwarven.

Almighty Haela, give me the strength to strike down the evil, and engage in glorious battle against these lying, honorless bastards. Give me the strength to strike them down, in Your honor!

Battle was coming. And Corstina Flameblade, Bloodmaiden of Haela Brightaxe, was ready to welcome it in with a grin on her face, and blood upon her armor.

Playing:

Estreia Jr'eivra: (Mostly retired, play on request)

Annaelith: Protector and Archer

Tyl'modaes Mys'shori: Bladesinger-in-training

Corstina Flameblade: Batsh*t crazy Kaxanar

Last edited by Perfect Paradox on Fri, Apr 29 2011, 20:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 29 2011, 19:27 PM 

Player

It would not be admitted to many, but the bold passion that came over her that evening during the Address was not something she had strategically prepared for before hand. She would call it a delayed reaction due to several issues that had been ignored, and her frustrations as a result of apparent, unreasonable negligence. And it would be entirely true, if not for her only scarcely remembering what had been going through her mind when she saw the opportunity and made the decision to confront Secretary Mover, for lack of better words, relentlessly.

It was for intuition and instinct, and for bold passion, that she held her rosary tighter when the crowd was clearing. She, by some force of self and confidence, had accomplished what she had thought to hope for. And as she walked the streets to the Watch House with her brother and the Mystran guild, she remembered one thing; a series of circled words.
Don't.
Sell.
Self.
Short.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 29 2011, 20:13 PM 

Player

"That's your plan? That's insane."

"Just trust me."

Leggomi Eggolas

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 29 2011, 20:31 PM 

Player

The astute observer may, over the din of the crowd and passioned councilors' rhetoric, have noticed the sound of one hand clapping.

Those trees won't burn themselves down. (by Maryn)

Gunz

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 29 2011, 20:55 PM 

Player

Once upon a midnight dreary, that was so cold, dark and eerie,
Sat a Raven upon stone, as turbulent cries pierced the air in roar.
It watched the chaos, the lies, with curious beady ebony eyes:
Anger, pain, and tension draped Cordor like never heretofore --
Snow draped sad lonely Cordor streets like never heretofore.

...........................................Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

Dieu_Le_Fera

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 1:19 AM 

Player

*a very out of place Wild-Elf watched the spectacle with much amusement... though her face remained hidden under her hood*

"about time someone else saw the Monolith for what it truly is... the Monolith are little more than thieves... as were the Weave-Knights"

"...and I thought elven politics was bad..."

"It is by the holy beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning, it is by Java alone that I set my mind in motion."

P Three

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 5:20 AM 

DM

A dark-haired bardess hears the speech, but chooses not to go. Malaguena has her thoughts, but past her brilliant smile and practiced air, they are hers, and hers alone.

And so she sings...

and so she dances...

and so she listens.

Yee-haw!

Aly'dra Zau'ana: Priestessish Of Eilistraee
Danika Nefzen: Druid of the Earthmother
Delia Am'Anodel: Paladin of Torm

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 7:39 AM 

Player

A notice pops up, placed prominently in Kohlingen and Cordor, as well as in other places around the island...The bottom of the notice has the official seal of the Council of Winya Ravana at the bottom of it.

Quote:
From the council of Winya Ravana,

It is with a heavy heart that we learn of the news of tense relations between the various peoples of the island and surrounding islands.

We feel it prudent to ensure that the elves of the island have a safe place to come to. Winya Ravana will welcome any elf who feels the need to relocate, and rather any elf at all, due to the current situation. This includes, but is not limited to, any elves residing in the city of Cordor and any elves who were part of Mystra's Monolith.

Come, our gates are open to you. Enjoy a meal and a drink at the Iron Butterfly. Spend the evening conversing with other elves out at the Nexus Falls. Browse through our fine merchant wares.

Ever serving the elven people,
The Council of Winya Ravana

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 7:41 AM 

Player

"No sympathy.

No concern.

No compassion.

Just.... advertising.

They are as bad as Hurst."

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 8:20 AM 

Player

*On a wind swept rock only reachable by the portal from Cordor or by specially chartered boat, two tents emerge next to where the Monolith once stood. They are kept by a Hin mage and a warrior woman of human size.*

"Two lives for the many and nothing but misguided oafs that will never know or even comprehend the cost to show for it."

*Shortly after saying this, Eli pulls out four posts and sets them up to commemorate the corners of where the tower had stood*

Dieu_Le_Fera

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 10:04 AM 

Player

*thysaeryl reads the note signed by the Council Of Winya and just facepalms*

"What was suppose to be a passionate plea to get the elves out of Cordor before all hells broke lose now sounds like an advertisement for a night out on the city... Seldarine forgive us..."

Gunz

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 10:46 AM 

Player

Willow eyes the notice from the Winyan Council with disgust. She speaks in Sylvan to herself in a low tone.

And to think that the majority of that Godless, heartless council are Grove members... Disgusting... My their gods forgive their selfishness and shortsightedness. I won't...

She leaves shaking her head.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 11:36 AM 

Player

Long after a quartet of elves parted company, hours after the aurora mysteriously vanished, two couriers exit the gates of Winya Ravana, carrying but a single letter each. One heads to Kohlingen where his envelope, addressed to Yaston of the Triadic Knights, is delivered to the keep. One heads to Cordor where his envelope, addressed to Xavi, is delivered to the Temple of Love.

Quote:
Yaston of the Triadic Knights,

Given the inauspicious disappearance of the mass of ley energy, I find it quite prudent to find facts where there have been none, to find truth where there has been but rumor. I cordially request an audience with you this evening at sundown to discuss the events in depth as soon as is possible.

Based upon what I have heard of the situation, I will not be sending my courier to the monolith to invite Ulrik Valis, Tuomas Valo, and Mentaki as well. I do hope you have means of contacting them and have them accompany you to this meeting. Their testimony has been fragmented and incongruent, which, I am disheartened to say, has delayed any and all possible involvement from Winya Ravana.

The sooner we can obtain solid facts, the sooner a proper decision can be made.

May we find your reply swift in return,
Voronwer Amakiir, Councilor of Winya Ravana

The letter to the Temple of Love is perhaps not as formal as the one reaching Kohlingen...

Quote:
Dearest Xavi,

I can't stop thinking of you. Ever since I left the temple that day, I have longed to see you again. I fear I can wait no longer! Alas, my councilor duties are keeping me holed up in Winya for several days...I cannot wait that long. How about you use your newfound freedom to visit our city to meet me tonight? The sunset looks lovely over the falls. I promise to have you home by morning...maybe.

Voronwer

Meanwhile, an irritated sun elf stands over the nexus falls, bow in hand.

(( Juggling a meeting with 4 people is kinda hard since I don't know the playing times of two of you...I'm available at about 5:30pm Eastern US time this afternoon until 9pm. Then from 10pm until...well, all night. If those of you named can or can't make it, let me know by PM and we can try to arrange something more agreeable if not. ))

Xaviera

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 13:49 PM 

Player

Quote:
Dearest Xavi,

I can't stop thinking of you. Ever since I left the temple that day, I have longed to see you again. I fear I can wait no longer! Alas, my councilor duties are keeping me holed up in Winya for several days...I cannot wait that long. How about you use your newfound freedom to visit our city to meet me tonight? The sunset looks lovely over the falls. I promise to have you home by morning...maybe.

Voronwer

Xaviera receives the message from Dima, her aide. She reads it and laughs, seeming quite pleased by its contents. She asks the girl if anyone else has seen it since it was given to her and, assuming she receives a negative response, thanks her with a cheerful hug and a kiss. She then burns the note in the fireplace.

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 15:09 PM 

Player

Floriane stared at the notice from Winya briefly, before turning away, glowering. It seems for whatever reason, she was in quite a foul mood.

Gers

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 15:28 PM 

Player

Several posters begin to crop up at various places around the isle: Kampo's, the Amian frontier, near Kohl, and many other locations near trade routes. They all depict the same thing: a giant, gaunt, sinister-looking wizard with power-madness gleaming in his eyes, dressed in what seems to be the uniform of the Arcanum, reaching down to crush a tower. At the top of the poster reads: "The Self-Proclaimed Enemies of Azuth and Mystra Strike!" At the bottom, below the image, the message continues: "When Will YOUR Home Become Their Target?"
Those present and seeking to identify the poster would simply have seen a muscular person in matte-black clothing and helm, a pair of shortswords at his belt and a black bow across his back, provided they could see through invisibility and detect him through the stealth he was taking care to use.

Nivo

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 16:55 PM 

Player

Passing through Kohlingen, Ulrik spots the notice from Winya. A moment is spent reading over it. He then continues on, a shake of his head, a derisive snort.

"About right for Winyans..."

Grymia

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 30 2011, 17:12 PM 

Player

*Seeing the notice from Winya himself, Tuomas' eyes narrowed quietly but, he continued on, moving to re-establishing his daily routine including a rather copius amount of washing both of himself, and his clothes*

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next