View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
AlannaMolov

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05 2015, 20:35 PM 

Player

A new monthly paper, The Southern Star, is distributed widely throughout the districts of South, East, and North Cordor. A few copies find their way into West Cordor, but are not actively given out there. The author, Margaret "Maggie" Cameron, is a fairly well known citizen of South Cordor, protégée of Ethan Starr of the Amian Recorder, and member of Sympathy for South Cordor. She is known in West as well, having grown up partly in this district.

The paper is consumed readily by the populace, with Cordor having a strong journalistic tradition. Those who cannot read themselves are often read aloud to by friends, particularly in the less literate agricultural district of the Northern Outskirts. The reactions of the people are largely polarizing, with people either vehemently agreeing or disagreeing with the opinions put forth - very few have a middle of the road opinion.

A Letter to the City of Water

by Margaret M. Cameron

“My fellow citizens,

Since the end of the Arcanum War, I have been watching our city closely. Struggling out from the darkest veil of our history has not been an easy process. Ghosts roam the streets - memories of slaughter, of loved ones lost, of the dream of a people exposed as nothing more than the pointed manipulations of magi who thought to make us slaves. Recovery is just as much of a fight as war, just as difficult a path. Fraught with mistakes, even by those who have the best intentions within their hearts. Fraught, too, with manipulators - those who would take advantage of our weakened state to grab power and influence for themselves.

I, like many Corordians, have given this new Republic the benefit of the doubt. I gave them my faith and my trust, even though our government so badly abused that in the past. It was a difficult thing for many of us; though the new Council is well loved in many respects, we were badly burned by men we had loved just as well.

I have wished with all of my heart for this endeavor to work - as a girl who spent her childhood in the slums of the South, and her teenage years in West, the idea of self-government was tantalizing to me. Power for the people. Equality. No longer would I have to look on the nobility that always had more than me, who never went hungry, whose children were afforded educations and shoes with whole soles.

But in practice, it was not so. The nobility simply switched to the mercantile class, who by birthright or Tymora’s luck amassed themselves a great amount of wealth. And still many remain homeless and jobless, unable to feed or shelter their families. The reality of the noble class is a reality that remains, simply with a different name. Someone will always have more. But several crucial things that were tenants of the Duke Montgomery’s rule are missing from our Republic: Justice. Fairness. A commitment to Law that supersedes mercantile interests. There is a reason his statue still stands in our main square, enduring even through the war that nearly tore our city asunder.

I have remained silent thus far in a show of solidarity, to allow a city reeling from so many blows a chance to remake itself and forge a new legacy. But, readers, the legacy I see forming is one that frightens me deeply. Those who have wounded and betrayed our great city have been allowed to go free: Jay E. Mover, William Hurst, Dirk Longstride, Lord Avadon of Wiltun. When asked about the status of Mover and Hurst, Speaker Andrew Fryar claimed that neither “were actively being sought,” even though the location of Hurst is well known. The case against Longstride, according to Fryar, is being prepared, but a trial date has not yet been set, close to seven months after the end of the war.

Right now, readers, our city’s antagonists have been allowed to go free. West Cordor is governed by a drunken, drug addicted Blackguard with prominent ties to the Undead city of Tarkuul, which continues to harbor enemies of the Corordian state. Dirk Longstride, who aided Jay Mover during crucial points in the war and only turned on him when he became an inconvenient ally, remains free. West is a radical element that has been bought off time and time again to avoid strife - the cost of which is being revealed to us in increments.

But these things are not even why I write to you now, readers. A source, who will remain anonymous for their own safety, has reported to me a conversation between Governor Corinn Aldaine of East Cordor and Secretary of the Speaker Teuivae Fenner, that I have a duty to report. Governor Aldaine has proposed that the policing of Cordor’s shipping lanes be given over entirely to a foreign power. Not just any foreign power: Wiltun, home of Lord Avadon, who is widely rumored to have aided the Arcanum and committed the murders of Renee Flowers, a beloved healer of Sympathy for South Cordor; and Jonathin Leonhard, former Minister of Health and Public Welfare. My source has also reported that Speaker Andrew Fryar agrees with this line of thought, and plans to put it before the Council shortly.

I do not know the Speaker or the Governor’s reasoning for this decision, I admit. But is any reason worth the secession of our autonomy to a foreign power, one who aided and abetted the Amnish during the first leg of the war? One who harbors a suspected murderer of two of our most beloved community leaders? These are weighty questions I know, readers, but this is your Republic, your city - and its future rests in your capable hands.”

Send inquiries to The Southern Star, 201 Seaspray Lane, Southern District, Cordor.

We accept inquiries only, not full fledged articles. Inquiries are short summaries or ideas of an article to be written. If an inquiry is accepted, it is not guaranteed that the article will run. Writers whose articles are published will be compensated.

South Cordor is incensed by the reporting. Bar brawls become more frequent, and anyone from West who wanders into the district, while not actively harassed or physically hurt, are often barred from businesses and watched by the guard with narrowed eyes. The Duke Montgomery becomes a topic of conversation in taverns and around dinner tables. Many remember his rule fondly, with some bolder citizens positing that a return to his regime is what the City needs. Still, Speaker Fryar enjoys an immense amount of popularity in the district - he is not viewed as necessarily at fault for the failings of the Republic. A Hero, but not a Politician. Some of the older citizens caution against hot-headedness, citing that a war of this magnitude is difficult to come back from and takes time, and patience.

The news takes a little longer to circulate through West Cordor, but once it does, any Southie caught in the district is either thrown out or subject to violence. There were no deaths reported, but one man playing dice outside of the Arena was reportedly beaten into critical condition - witnesses have refused to cooperate in identifying the perpetrators.

The Northern Outskirts, while less openly zealous in their support, go much the way of South Cordor. Tales of Duke Montgomery riding on the back of a brass dragon, burning Arcanum mages and their demon thralls to crisps, are traded in hushed voices. The people of the Northern Outskirts have not forgotten who broke the siege on their land. The refugees of Central in the Festival Grounds are of a similar mind with South - still homeless, those who have lost the most at the hands of the Arcanum, are most incensed at the Republic’s refusal to prioritize Justice.

East Cordor is firmly divided. Many believe that this report is nothing but an attempt to smear the good name of their Governor, citing a lack of named sources. They advocate that Governor Aldaine has brought prosperity to East, and allowed for a Mercantile class to develop - and that they should not be drug through the mud simply because they had the skill and foresight to build fortunes for themselves. Still, a minority is gravely concerned over the report of Wiltun possibly policing trade within Corordian waters. Others worry that a return to Duchal rule would displace the new mercantile upper class in favor of the nobility.

"A soft woman
is simply a wolf
caught in meditation."

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06 2015, 3:36 AM 

Player

Several copies are bought by a tall man in pure white while on one copy the term 'Brass' Is crossed through and highlighted. A few other sentiments are highlighted here or there.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:03 AM 

Player

After a visit to the West in the Gentelman's Club offering some information and aid. The angel winged male in white openly traverses the western District seeking to find out what had happened with the man who was reportedly beaten into critical condition. Matthew checks the Ilmatari temple, and the Hospice in South seeking to find out what happened or who the man was who was hurt.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:23 AM 

Player

Matthew takes to the Guard house in South and hands out prints to a few of the STU members with little said before leaving.

Elorathall

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 07 2015, 10:14 AM 

Player

One priest takes a keen interest in the publication and the ongoing dicussions...

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 07 2015, 20:55 PM 

Player

Not one to get up in arms over words in a paper, the Minister of Finance continues to make his rounds in all districts and protectorates of the Republic of Cordor. He seems to be checking up on his Ministry's clerks as he does so. Hodgewall also makes a point of doing business at each location.

If any care to pay attention, he can be seen purchasing a few bottles of cognac from the rather notorious Gentleman's Club in West, simple wood work from Guldorand, a puppy from a pet store in East, a fresh bundle of carrots from North, and good stew from his fellow Short Folk in South. With exception of the puppy, he leaves the other items with the remaining displaced of Central. However, while visiting, he lets the children play with the young Husky.

Later, he can be seen heading back home, up to Guldorand, carrying the tuckered out pup.

Ts_

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 07 2015, 21:05 PM 

Player

In West Cordor, Holo Jarian picks up a copy of the article and, to himself but loudly, expresses his disagreement.
"These idiots do not understand the benefits of a free market and rather want to slave away under the clergy's rule ... "

Liz

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 07 2015, 21:27 PM 

Player

A copy of the letter is picked up by a pale moon elf, perused with intense curiosity, and packed away in a magical bag at her hip.

BeaverSneezes

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08 2015, 0:38 AM 

Player

The Shadow-kin known as Dmitra can be seen bringing a notice to The Gentlemen's Club with a wide smirk.

CrazyCatLady

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:11 AM 

Player

Selunite priestess Arizima Helvet would pause, glance at the notices and might be heard muttering under her breath as she walks on, "Was anyone really surprised Avadon is involved with anything so sordid?"

inprison666

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:31 AM 

Player

Dirgesh Helvet reads the publication and without any words sits at his desk at the Haven House of Cordor with a quill and ink to begin writing something.

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:24 AM 

Developer

A portly man going by the name of Flint Bonham would patrol the streets of Cordor, asking after the undersigned Margaret M. Cameron. He first asks the beggars, then the fences, then the guards, then the Griff's, and lastly, the temple of Waukeen. For each answer he would hand over a small pouch of gold with a firm handshake, saying, "Courtesy of Dirk." Navigating in a boiling stream of passers-by the man seems less interested in learning the content of the publishing than doling out his money for free. His purses shrink coin by coin in the unremitting pursuit for a meeting with Cameron or one of her agents.

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:44 AM 

Player

The ever-present, white robed druid of the city's harbors perks at the names of Margaret and Dirk in the market-place, pulling her shawl low over haunted eyes before she melds into the crowds.

AlannaMolov

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 21:09 PM 

Player

A second run is printed, and the bottom of the Editorial features a way to contact the organization, as well as submit article inquiries.

"A soft woman
is simply a wolf
caught in meditation."

AlannaMolov

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 09 2015, 23:19 PM 

Player

Early in the evening, an odd sight over the City of Water: shades of blue, green, and purple fall like breeze-blown curtains across the sky. The Aurora Borealis is almost unheard of below the hoary reaches of the Frozenfar, and yet above Cordor it lingers, for no more than an hour.

Many of the citizens simply enjoy the spectacle, coming out in droves to crowd the Nomad's outdoor patio. In the Northern district and Festival Grounds, several campfires spring up, drawing even more crowds.

However, in the Southern District, a small panic springs up. Several families head directly out of the city to relatives in Kohlingen, Wharftown, and even Bendir Dale. A large, agitated crowd gathers, and many take it upon themselves to go about the city, warning that the Arcanum may have made its return. Stories of how the mages once worked magic that spread the Aurora from Cordor all the way to Mystra's Monolith, resulting in the disappearance of the structure and the death of everyone inside, are retold in quiet terror.

The effect flickers out after less than an hour, and through the combined efforts of the mage guard, Secretary Teuivae, and Governor Corinn, order returns to Cordor.

"A soft woman
is simply a wolf
caught in meditation."

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 10 2015, 16:04 PM 

Player

A sun elf stands outside the Lodge in Central Cordor for the entirety of the spectacle, watching silently. When the Aurora passes, he sinks into thought for several minutes. Finally, he simply turns on his heel and goes back inside.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 11 2015, 8:19 AM 

Player

A new set of prints find them selves issued through out Cordor each and every Tavern seemed to have them.
"To every individual, big or small living with in our lands.

The time has come to speak of the future of our city. We have come a long way from where we once were and things are looking up. Now is not the time to squabble amongst our selves. Look unto those whom live beside you and offer some respect and human decency. It is time we band together and work towards the future to sew the seeds that will flourish in to the crops of tomorrow. We need to work together to strive forth and continue etching a path in to the pages of history. Cordor shall be oppressed no longer. We should strive to fortify our city, and our families. Let us not be enemies but friend in this endeavor. No more pain, no more suffering should be wrought by our own hands uppon our neighbors. We stood and we fought the end of the war together as brothers in arms. There is strength in numbers, and though we have sustained heavy losses weather it be material possessions or loved one we still stand here today. With our liberated new freedom we should remember the aid of out neighbors each fighting for their home and sovereignty has reigned supreme against our enemies. Take pride in knowing we won a victory that day together. ~ V. Rider "

Last edited by PassionateShadow on Sat, Jul 11 2015, 17:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 13 2015, 0:16 AM 

Player

An article is distributed around Cordor, each one headed with the inked image of Jay Edgar Mover, in shackles, being lead by Andrew Fryar and a group of law knights. Those in East Cordor might've noted that the normally dark room where the Academy kept its printing press was on early that morning.

Brothers and Sisters of Cordor,

Today is a victory for Cordor and the cause of justice on Amia. A strike team consisting of Cordorian forces, Duchy scouts and a few volunteer adventurers executed a successful raid on Mover’s known location as he stopped to restock his ship. The raid was conducted under the leadership of myself and Talyne of Ma’at.

A ship from the Duchy carried the joint force to the Whalebones, where Mover was waiting to restock his ship. Once they landed, a storm was conjured up by Talyne, Former STU Captain and priestess of the Elffather, Snow and the Secretary Fenner of the Ministry of Health and Public Welfare. The massive storm was to force Mover and some of his crew to disembark from their ship. His ship was also destroyed in the storm, along with the majority of his crew. When Mover was encountered, he was in the presence of two mages (believe to be Arcanum remnants), an assassin known for terrorizing Cordor West and a heavily armored swordsman.

The surprise attack saw Mover incapacitated and his escort slain to the last man. Mover had the wounds he had sustained treated so he can live to trial. Given Mover’s status and the gravity of his crimes, he will face a war crimes tribunal, which will be expedited to top priority of Cordor’s case work.

Cordorian officials involved in the raid were Speaker Andrew Fryar, Governor Corinn Aldaine, Secretary Teuivae Fenner, members of the STU including Sergeant Matthew, recruit (and former Captain) Ithilwen ‘Snow’, Lt. Sam and Private Connie of the Wilderness Scouts division.

-Speaker Andrew Fryar,
Minister of Health and Public Welfare

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

AlannaMolov

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 13 2015, 3:50 AM 

Player

At the break of Speaker Fryar’s press release, North, East, and South Cordor become one large revel. Shops close early and the taverns fill to bursting, the streets teeming with children streaking streamers and blowing tin horns. The spirit of celebration lasts through the week - everywhere except West Cordor. Commonwealth Loyalists are infuriated at the news, the tension between them and the Westies who sided with Dirk Longstride and Governor Edmund against Mover, growing more and more apparent. No overt violence breaks out, however.

The second issue of the Southern Star is consumed by most in a hungover haze the next morning. The more detailed account of events is told so many times it becomes common knowledge down to the children, who have started impersonating Speaker Fryar and Druidess Talyne in their games - the former by wearing fake moustaches and capes, the latter by throwing sticks at “enemies” and making dolphin noises.

The Southern StarJay Edgar Mover CAPTURED!

Just after daybreak on 11 Flamerule, 1383 DR, Year of the Vindicated Warrior, with the predawn fog still hanging over the City of Water, a rain soaked, exhausted group carried a wounded middle-aged man to jail.

That man was none other than Jay Edgar Mover, former Minister of Law, now Enemy of the State. Druidess Talyne of Isis, the operation’s primary tactician, reported that she had tracked Mover’s invisible ship by utilizing pods of Dolphins and various other marine life to the isle of Mintarn, a notorious haven for pirates here in the Trackless Sea. There, Andrew Fryar made a contact who revealed Mover’s next location - the Whalebones, a remote chain of craggy islands off of Ruathym.

The strike group (comprised of Speaker Fryar, Governor Corinn, Secretary Teuivae, Talyne of Isis, Lieutenant Sam, Sergeant Matthew, Recruit Snow, Private Connie, Emilie Everguard, and Oleander) was loaned a skiff, outfitted for stealth, by the Cordorian Duchy. Evetal Savannah, former leader of the Cordorian Scouts, led a regiment of twelve of her soldiers to cover the strike group’s escape should things go awry. Talyne, Secretary Teuivae, and Recruit Snow of the STU called on divine aid to create a hurricane over the island. The gods heard their plea and the clouds above them grew dark as steel, rotating clockwise around them. The air crackled with electricity and left a ringing in the ears, the rain coming down in sheets, nothing able to be heard over the downpour but the peal of thunder and crack of tree limbs. The storm ran Mover’s ship aground, its occupants forced to seek shelter on the island. The strike group came upon them unawares, making quick work of Arcanum mages, 3-Men assassins, and even the fallen Law Knight Lucas. Speaker Fryar and Emilie Everguard, the enigmatic leader of the Branded Phoenix, who fought alongside Cordor and Kohlingen in the Arcanum War, jointly took down Mover who had attempted to flee.

Today, thanks to the cooperation of the Republic of Cordor and the Duchy of Cordor, the man on whose shoulders so many Cordorian deaths rest has been brought to face justice. Today, the Cordorian people can rest assured that their dead will have the opportunity to find peace, and the wounded left alive given the hope of vindication.

As Lathander rises, setting the canals aglow with dazzling light, the Corordian people have reason to celebrate. A new dawn is breaking for our city - let us linger in its brilliance a while.

"A soft woman
is simply a wolf
caught in meditation."

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 13 2015, 11:34 AM 

Player

Andrew read the article with a small frown. His frown only grew deeper when he noted children around the city imitating him. He kept his mouth quiet though.

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

Elorathall

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:39 PM 

Player

A fairly short request is made at the city hall.

"To who it may concern,

I hereby request a listing of the charge(s) and references to the affected articles of law placed on Mover, J.E. Furthermore, I hereby request to receive the identity of the individual or entity that has filed the respective charges.

Signed,

Aurelius."

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

Xaviera

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 13 2015, 18:05 PM 

Player

A copy of Andrew's article describing the capture of Mover is also posted in the Temple of Love for the edification of those who have come to relax, socialize or pray.

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)

Arcane Crusader

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 16 2015, 0:33 AM 

Player

*When word of Movers capture comes to a cocksure thiefs ear, a long loud laugh is heard outside a certain basements office*

AllanaMolov said: "Dirk is like the grossest, worst version of Robin Hood ever and I love it"

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 20 2015, 16:27 PM 

Player

Near a dozen hand written copies of a new notice are distributed in places of meeting around Cordor by Gerald himself, placing them on widely used notice boards for public view ask around Cordor.
Quote:
People of Cordor,

The events of recent months will be remembered for generations to come as both the greatest tragedy and the greatest revolution in Cordor's history. I'm the wake of such rampant destruction and loss of life we have gained and lost a great many heroes among our armed forces I'm the fight for freedom against Arcanum tyranny, and that war has left scars that will never fully heal in our collective hearts and minds.

It is as a soldier of that war that I make this announcement. Cordor's sons and daughters have given their lives for it's future, and I watched many a great man fall at the battle of Cape Slakh. It is with that in mind that I would like to announce the formation of a fund for veterans of the war and the widowed families of deceased veterans.

I will be seeking volunteers for this effort, and any inquiries as to what is needed may be sent either to the Government Center or my Office in the West. This is the earliest phase of the effort, and I expect we will need able bodied couriers as well as organized, literate persons capable of keeping and organizing records of the those in need and of expenses incurred in their assistance.

The tragedies of this war are immeasurable, but I hope that together we may bring some measure of peace to those suffering in it's wake and comfort to alone left alone in it's ashes.

Know that this cause is one which I hold near to my heart, and I will strive to see it's success even if I must do so alone.

Sincerely,
Governor Gerald Edmund
West Cordor

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]