View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Ts_

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 11:47 AM 

Player

Hello!

So, I want to see some cool throwing axes added to the module, not just for me. I also want them to have some lore flavour, and that's what I want to check on with you, dear DMs. Also, how I can or should go about it.

Ralghok is my Orog priestess of Luthic. She's an axe-thrower, but not a smith. (And won't be, neither job system nor skill, if I can avoid it.)

I've been daydreaming about a set of throwing axes dedicated to and inspired by the Orc pantheon. As an example, here's my draft for Luthic. Luthic is mostly about all things female in Orc society (household, procreation, healing, all to support the stronger males), but also revenge:

Luthic's Long ClawsWith a handle made out of wood, these relatively light axes are ideal for female Orcs, who seldom enter the real battles but need to defend themselves occasionally.

Little known outside of Luthic's circles, the axes lend themselves ideally to reckless surgery on the battlefield, too. From being a handy lever for a tourniquet to something to bite on while another Claw's spikes are used to scrape out the heads of Elven arrows, the uses of a small stick and sharp metal are endless. The axes are blessed to heal the wielder should she be attacked while running towards the warriors. A dead healer is no better than a dead warrior, though a warrior is obviously better than a healer.

Nonetheless, the "Claws" are not a tool but a weapon designed to hurt: The sharp spikes rip the victim's skin apart rather than striking deep. The resulting wounds heal very badly, and more often than not, leave four striped scars. Another theory claims that the Claws life-stealing property is simply to entice such brutality after having been hurt.

Should a young Orc be killed in a bar brawl, it is not uncommon for the mother to recklessly hunt down the killer with such a Claw. These battles almost surely end with the mother badly broken, but the scar stripes are a tell-tale sign on any young Orc. Any mother picking up such an axe can feel her blood boiling already.

StatsLuthic's Long Claws
Enhance +3
Vamp Regen +3
Heal +6
Intimidate +2
Bonus Feat: Blooded (= +2 Spot!)
On Hit: Wounding
Weight reduction -20%
Decreased AC -1 Dodge

So, yes, they add unique and good things to the (very limited) throwing axe pool. IMHO, the most powerful part here is the +2 Spot from a feat besides Alertness. The -1 Dodge AC is to balance that out, but let's not get hung up on the numbers just yet. But I want them to add many options to the module. The problem is: Throwing axes are terribly limited in their properties according to the toolset. Mostly it's just +X to Y, not even a healing spell per day or immunity against darkness is possible. None of these axes would have use restrictions, because that's just being a dick for those that don't have UMD.

So, why is this a prerequest and not the actual request?

Well, there are many open questions about these axes, and possible answers. Here are my questions and my answers:

1) Are they real?
Yes, these axes exist in Orc communities. Not all 6 god variations everywhere at all times, but they do.

2) How will Ralghok obtain them?
She knows about them. She used to have Luthic's Claws, but didn't bring them with her when she left her tribe. (Bad priestess!) She hopes to recreate her old weapon with a smith and bless them, to imbue their magical properties.

The other axes might be out of her reach, though smithing is an option, of course. The coolest way to find the other axes could be quest items, to be found in the underdark or on the surface.

3) How will they appear in the module?
All on her character. ;) Some, like Luthic's, at orc merchants: There are 2 Orog merchants in the UD, and one of them even has a cool location. The rest should be added to the higher tier loot bins or other merchants, once they've been found or created.

Thanks for reading and I'm eager to hear your feedback!
Ts

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 02 2016, 14:23 PM 

Player

<.< where did this hide... *coughs*

This still wanted?

Ts_

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 04 2016, 22:31 PM 

Player

*waves dust away, coughs*

I ordered MisterLich's very fine barbarian to start making the bare axes using the MCS ... and then I disappeared from Amia without ever paying him. (Sorry!)

I'll bump the topic when I return to Amia and can continue working on these axes, if that's okay. (Of course, if anyone else wants to add some throwing axes to the module, I can send out my notes, too.)

Regards
Ts

Ts_

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 20:46 PM 

Player

Okay, so a principal question came up (thanks bob.. for pointing that out):

If I request throwing axes like these, would the team add them to the module (stores/loot)? Would I be allowed to pass them around? (Magical ammo bags ...) I definitely want to improve the throwing axe situation of the server.

And, on a related note, would they be myhal-able?

Thanks
Ts

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 21:52 PM 

Player

Whoa... sorry for missing this request.

OK...

1: If we want throwing axes added to the module, I'm not sure paying for DCs is the best way to do it. DC weapons are generally approved with the idea that they're not being handed out to everyone in the server. (To my knowledge - I don't see arrows requested much. ... because our arrows are amazing, but yeah.) If you want to go that route (and it would save DCs...) we might be better off looking at some item additions to the module. I wouldn't be against things like that occurring: Items being made through RP that then find their way into the general use of the server, assuming the balance is proper.

2: They would be mythallable within the normal limits of the system - these would have to be pared down a lot before anything else could be added to them via MCS.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 22 2016, 0:33 AM 

Player

Not a huge fan of the starting feats on items but otherwise I see no issues adding some nifty throwing axes to one of our stores. But yeah if this is supposed to go into the module it is more IA than Request.

Ts_

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 22 2016, 21:19 PM 

Player

Hey,

thanks for the replies. The reasons I went with a DC request are simple:

First of all, DC requests eventually get that "DMIG". :)
Secondly, I cannot recall any requests like this in IA, so it never occurred to me.

Independent of the formal process and how many DCs, if any, this would cost, my plan would be to go on with the RP and create some axes IG. (Not Luthic's Claws as described above, as the smith working on those is MIA, but might come back, so I don't want to take that project from him just yet.) I might also need some DM interaction for quest-like item gathering on the way there. That would go in the request forum, too, I suppose.

Once the IG part has been done, DMs can mull over the precise stats given the general availability of the axes.

Is that approach okay?

Just FYI, a related topic in IA on adding new Throwing Axes and Darts (including me already thinking about these requests ...) viewtopic.php?f=54&t=75886
That IA topic never got anywhere, though, it seems.

Thanks for your time!
Ts

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 22 2016, 22:01 PM 

Player

I think a smith making things with the end goal of them being added to the module is pretty cool anyways: It's a neat way to make your mark on the server. I would love to see more of that.

Rigela

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 23 2016, 8:54 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
I think a smith making things with the end goal of them being added to the module is pretty cool anyways: It's a neat way to make your mark on the server. I would love to see more of that.

Yup. This.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:49 AM 

Player

Yup yup. I think this would best be suited to be moved to IA then though?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]