View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 10:03 AM 

Player

Is there any reason or explanation as to why these belts can only be sold to one merchant? And could that possibly be changed?

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 12:31 PM 

Player

The reason, if I remember it right, was that the pure item worth of the belt when selling to a general merchant would be quite high and was considered a too high and easy gold income for a drop that is a guaranteed drop. Hence the hassle youc an only sell it to one merchant + for a small fix price. Same as the maximus bone and some other.

Terra_777

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 12:33 PM 

Administrative Developer

We have the technology to set whatever price we want on any item now though!

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 12:36 PM 

Player

True true. Keep in mind this item is almost or pretty much as old as the server and was never really redone in any shape or form! Prolly not our highest priority atm but we should have a look at this some time. That'd be the Spider Silk bags, the Maximus Bone and The Fire Giant King belt. Spider Silk Bags had the lowest price because there is no cap on how many you can get per day.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 21:58 PM 

Tester

Also remember that merchants have capped buying prices now. Most you can get for one of the boss items now is 20-25k, and only once every 8 hours/server reset. I'd say it's fine to make them sellable now and get rid of the hassle. Yeah it's a guaranteed drop, but it's not like it's free, considering what it takes to get to FGK or summon Maxi. There are a lot easier and quicker ways to make gold than selling 2 boss items per reset.

Liz

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 18 2015, 22:18 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
Also remember that merchants have capped buying prices now. Most you can get for one of the boss items now is 20-25k, and only once every 8 hours/server reset. I'd say it's fine to make them sellable now and get rid of the hassle. Yeah it's a guaranteed drop, but it's not like it's free, considering what it takes to get to FGK or summon Maxi. There are a lot easier and quicker ways to make gold than selling 2 boss items per reset.

I was going to type a thing but then DI typed all the stuff I was going to type.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 19 2015, 9:28 AM 

Player

That is true for the maximus bone and the FGK Belt, however not for the Spidersilk Bags.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 20 2015, 0:30 AM 

Tester

Of course. Probably for the other mini-boss drops like the Orc High Priest gloves and the Barbarian Battle Drum, too. However, if Terra says we can adjust the base price of them, then that's probably something we should do for ease. Back when I had PC's that ran those areas, I know I usually left the boss drops where they were. Wasn't worth hauling them back to the Gnomish testing ground to pawn them off.

To be honest, guaranteed theme-drops are a kinda dated part of the server. Is there any reason we've kept them over the years and not added/adjusted them as regular lootbin items?

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 20 2015, 4:06 AM 

Player

The belt wouldn't be worth that much to a regular store, would it?

And there are guranteed drops already, like the loot table in the Fire Giant King's Lair and that chest at the end of the Ash Caverns, after fighting that boss-thing.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 20 2015, 12:07 PM 

Player

I can check later how much it'd actually be worth.

The reason why we kept them is mostly noone thought about it much and other priorities plus maybe some sentimental reasons. Hard to tell. I guess it mostly is that noone really gave it much thought after all those years.

Raua

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 20 2015, 13:27 PM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:
And there are guranteed drops already, like the loot table in the Fire Giant King's Lair and that chest at the end of the Ash Caverns, after fighting that boss-thing.

Yep, there's already a precedent!

Richard_Edmund wrote:
The belt wouldn't be worth that much to a regular store, would it?

Toolset says it's worth a little over 35K. So, players will get 25-30K from a vendor for it. So, it'll be selling for the price cap, but that's not really a bad thing, in my opinion. There are much, much easier way to goldfarm~ *Cof* Burning Crypts.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 21 2015, 17:55 PM 

Tester

Oh, there's plenty precedent for the drops to be in other areas, that wasn't my point. What I meant was, are guaranteed drops a feature that really works for us? It's not a big deal either way, the fixes for selling the boss/mini-boss drops more easily are already there.

The point of a guaranteed drop, in my mind, is that it is either a cool story piece that fleshes out the dungeon or an item that most of the PC's running it will be able to use. A commodity of sorts. Otherwise, why are we shoving it in your face every time you kill a particular monster, right? The spider webbing bag is a good example for newer PCs, though better versions are buyable from the get-go in Wharftown. The drum accomplishes this, as it can be used by anyone and useful to basically any build. The others, the gloves, the belt, Maxi's legbone, not so much. That's not to say they aren't good items or aren't useful to anyone, they simply aren't useful to everyone. So rather than force everyone to get them and have the vast majority go on to sell them anyway(either through a regular merchant or special vendor), we could put them in the regular lootbin, like the items they are most similar to. They aren't particularly interesting in terms of describing the dungeons' histories or their bosses, but maybe they still work a trophies. *shrug*

Keeping them and making them sellable is fine! I was applying some armchair ludology to the situation, is all. :wink:

msheeler

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 22 2015, 20:07 PM 

Player

There are several obvious and several hidden loot bins that I have places in areas here and there. The ones that I have put in are all random bins.

I am not certain if it is really worth having these named auto drops on the few bosses that we do have, or if its better to de-personalize those items and add them to the loot bin instead.

I'm open to options.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 23 2015, 9:14 AM 

Player

If you're going to be fiddling boss drops anyway, could you extend the yellow-named random lootiness of the Darkness to them all?

It feels right that the item type would tied to the boss. ASB, Maxi and Windy taste like armour; FGK, Bidoc and Babs as weapons; Loot screams jewelry, while The Darkness and Beholder Majesty say inventory casting item.

Rigela

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 23 2015, 15:00 PM 

Player

I like the fact some of the bosses drop a regular 'themed' thing myself - it adds at least some reward to fighting them, even if you don't get the actual drop. Extending the yellow drop darkness has would also be great an idea too, or maybe replacement, possibly.

Ts_

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 23 2015, 16:28 PM 

Player

I like that the FGK belt makes the FGK's own dungeon a lot easier. (Decent fire resist on a useful item for most meleers). One could say that this encourages grinding, but we have to grind anyway, and I like it when it's easier the second time.

An alternative would be to drop an item that is useful for another dungeon: FGK drops a useful Gills item instead, while the Loot drops an anti-fire item.

Regards
Ts

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 23 2015, 22:20 PM 

Tester

Ts_ wrote:
I like that the FGK belt makes the FGK's own dungeon a lot easier. (Decent fire resist on a useful item for most meleers). One could say that this encourages grinding, but we have to grind anyway, and I like it when it's easier the second time.

Well, that gets to another part of it. Again, the item is fine, I had a character that used it for many years. But in terms of being useful, it's only useful once. Even if it fits your build perfectly, if you run the boss you're going to get a dozen copies of the thing. If you run the Shekats 10 times, you get ten bags: cool. Run the Barbarians 10 times, you get 10 drums: very useful. Run Orcs, FGK, or Maxi* 10 times: you get ten copies of an item that, even if you can use it, you only really need one. Imagine for a second that FGK dropped a Vindicator greatsword every time. Even if you can use it, you only need one, and if you can't use it, it's just kind of bloat and hassle if you sell it every time. Why not simply have 25k drop in the bosses inventory each time at that point. Or better yet, put the item in a loot bin where it fits.

That's the nature of any guaranteed drop that I was trying to describe before. It's a cool trophy if you care about that sort of thing, but there's no real reason to continue to get them every time. The yellow text item replacing the guaranteed drops would be cool. It's a neat system that we've never really utilized to its fullest. And if we really want people to still be able to get those guaranteed drops, whether for having it as a trophy or a useful tool for rerunning the dungeon, it could drop like a quest item the first time you kill the boss or clear the area.

*It's been a while since I've bothered to look, but I recall the legbone having charges and spells, so I guess that could count as a repeatably useful item. The only spell I can recall off the top of my head, however, is a Create Greater Undead which summons a Dread Wraith. It puts off numerous PCs from using it and is too weak of a summon to be useful at the level required to beat Maximus anyway.

Murex

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2015, 7:41 AM 

Player

A yellow item drop for every boss is better imo- it adds more enjoyment to killing bosses because the prize isn't predictable. Just put those other items, like the FGK belt into the lootbin instead.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]