View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Ti'avel

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 18 2015, 15:08 PM 

Player

At the risk of being called out for trolling, I wanted to add a suggestion here.

I'm seeing a lot of things people are asking for to be changed, death attacks, freedom, Negative Energy protection, etc, etc etc. I'm sure we all have ideas on how we can tweak a spell or a feat to improve it in some way. While I think this is great, and awesome that we all as a group can bring these things up and talk about them, and hope to see them implemented, I don't think that's what the Dev team should be concentrating on.

Now... before the rotten tomatoes start flying, no, I don't know all that is going on, no, I am not simply telling people what to do.

What am I saying?

Well, there are a lot of things broken on Amia. Things that don't work, things that don't work the way they should. I mean basic things with the module. Look at the bug reports, they're all there, no need for me to list them. Instead of going through and making new and fresh, I think we should fix the leaks and creaks and squeaks. The Amia module is great, there's a lot to do. We are getting new people all the time to come and play here. As a "veteran" player, I tend to see a bug or typo or broken thing and just brush it off, instead of letting it bother me, but what does a new player think? Do they stick around past that first "Black Screen Bug"? I don't know. These are where the effort should be placed, not tweaking every little feat and spell to perfection.

It's been said, the dungeons have been balanced for things the way they are. By changing one spell or feat, who knows the ramifications of that? Then there are DC requested items to think about. The either become uber powerful in some cases, or useless in others. Either way, it's unbalancing.

I'd much rather see all the little things that are broken or wrong fixed long before any further tweaking happens.

To the Dev Team and DM Team: I certainly hope none of you take these words as offensive. They're not meant to be. I'm trying to point us, as a community of players toward the common goal of keeping Amia going. Making a lot of changes and leaving things broken sends the wrong message to new players. I wish I knew how to do the scripting, programming and developer work you all do, and I don't pretend to understand it at all. I completely respect what you're working on, I just ask that we look at where to focus the limited manhours we do have.

Essentially, what my idea for improving Amia is is this: If it's not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, that should be the priority.

Thank you.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 18 2015, 21:24 PM 

Player

It's a nice post and all, but the definition of "broken" and "not broken" gets a bit muddy when there's 25 + people discussing whether or not something is or isn't.

Suffice it to say: The daily dev-y work is largely fixing these little errors and looking into them as thy crop up. These IA discussions are more side things that occur once everything is completely hammered out, and then done and put in.

Anatida

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 18 2015, 22:07 PM 

Player

The point in the OP is well made, and Tormak summed up the answer nicely.

The forum IA was closed for a long time because there were simply too many 'bigger issues' we needed to focus on. However, people kept posting the things in General Discussion where they would get lost eventually. Sooo... we pushed for reopening the IA forum where people can make their suggestions, and -eventually- when there is time we may get to it.

At the moment if things such as hiding Death Attack, or removing a VFX from Amia's custom assassin skills are done it will be because someone like me was between jobs they were capable of doing and just happened to do it.

So we are not ignoring anyone's suggestions, nor are we running to put them on a ToDo list right this minute. They are here for posterity. When server stability and direction are on track, then the Dev Team will look at the suggestions and prioritize what will help the majority of the server.

Cheers,
~ Ana

msheeler

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:40 AM 

Player

I've begun to work through the bugs list again. Got about 1/2 a dozen cleared out and will continue to work more on it.

Just an FYI

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]