View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
walnutboy

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 20:38 PM 

Player

Would it be possible to consider removing the mythal cost involved with naming an item?

I've been thinking about this since i ICly started to craft bows for people, as ICly my character names them usually, but this cost her mythals and is actually the only reason i use the minor ones. As an IC process why wouldn't a craftsman name the item they are making as a gift for a friend? However, the cost of a mythal for a name doesn't seem to stack when you think at what else you can add to an item with a mythal. With mythals technically not that easy to find it does become something of a waste and in theory prevents people from ICly and OOCly naming and personalising gear. After all adding your own name or altering the appearance doesn't mechanically add to the items in anyway and is pure IC and RP flavour, so why would the Gods require the mythal for doing so?

The crafting guide says that personalising an item doesn't require one of that items 'powers' yet in order to name it you loose the mythal, while removing an ability from an item lets you keep the mythal? Am i right in thinking that a scribe can alter the description of an item? If so this is part of the IC job system which doesn't need a mythal to do... yet naming doesn't come under the same freedom? I'd far rather ICly find someone to scribe the name on to an item than use up a mythal to personalise something. I don't even mind the naming costing gold, but the price of a mythal just seems a little steep and hampering to RP... or is it just me thinking this as i like to name my trinkets? :P

Would people feel more inclined to name their items if it didn't cost a mythal?
What is the harm in allowing a little more freedom to personalising the gear most RP with anyway?

Last edited by walnutboy on Fri, Feb 12 2016, 10:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 20:47 PM 

Player

Jobsystem crafted items can be renamed (and the description changed) with the scribes desk without a mythal.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

walnutboy

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 21:00 PM 

Player

Tarnus wrote:
Jobsystem crafted items can be renamed (and the description changed) with the scribes desk without a mythal.

Now you see, i didn't know this. I knew the description was likely as it had been ICly mentioned before but the never the naming... so only none player made items need the mythal?

Last edited by walnutboy on Fri, Feb 12 2016, 10:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 21:09 PM 

Player

Yups! Everything else can be renamed with the desk, you don't even need to have the job. (But keep in mind you are stuck with the base chance then, which can... take a while.)

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Dergaii

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 21:10 PM 

Player

The wise crafter keeps a text document handy with the most used commands to enable some copy+paste magic.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 21:34 PM 

Player

Will remember that for crafted items, but why the mythal charge for other items given that personalisation doesn't count towards an items 'powers'?

Bravo21

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 12 2016, 13:16 PM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
Will remember that for crafted items, but why the mythal charge for other items given that personalisation doesn't count towards an items 'powers'?

Because the Mythal crafting system is almost as old as the server and has been put on the back burner for overhaul for most of those years. Also, given what was in place before the MCS, a way to limit changes and burn up mythals was desirable.

-Krrja

walnutboy

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 12 2016, 14:27 PM 

Player

I see. Well knowing that I can strong arm a scribe into naming my crafted items actually goes a long way to solving things for me a little. :P

Bravo21

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 12 2016, 22:11 PM 

Player

One of my crafting characters made quite a bit of gold by selling personalized crafted items. Nothing says RP cool like having a unique weapon with a really cool description you can show off to other players. As a side note, you can also use the job system to alter the description and name of any other item in the game, it is essentially like cut and pasting with items.

-Krrja

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 12 2016, 23:25 PM 

Player

Dergaii wrote:
The wise crafter keeps a text document handy with the most used commands to enable some copy+paste magic.

I did it manually for two years before this eddy occurred to me, embarrassing right?

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Dead

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 9:48 AM 

Player

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
Dergaii wrote:

I did it manually for two years before this eddy occurred to me, embarrassing right?

In my opinion.. that's cheating. Copy/Paste is an abuse of a flawed system. You either find a scribe to do it for you, or you do it manually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

Ts_

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 10:35 AM 

Player

Hey,

Have mercy on us, Dead. There are more interesting things to life than typing /s ds_j append ... a couple of times. (The fact that the speed of scribing isn't limited, feels like an opportunity for abuse, though.)

Bravo21 wrote:
As a side note, you can also use the job system to alter the description and name of any other item in the game, it is essentially like cut and pasting with items.

But is it really true that Scribes can change the name of any item in the game, not just orange ones? That would be awesome!

Regards
Ts

Ts_

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 11:47 AM 

Player

Ts_ wrote:
Bravo21 wrote:
As a side note, you can also use the job system to alter the description and name of any other item in the game, it is essentially like cut and pasting with items.

But is it really true that Scribes can change the name of any item in the game, not just orange ones? That would be awesome!

Nope, doesn't work for regular items. (And it's not supposed to work, either, according to the job description.)

Or did you mean something else, Bravo21?

Regards
Ts

Dergaii

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 16:41 PM 

Player

Dead wrote:
Dergaii wrote:

In my opinion.. that's cheating. Copy/Paste is an abuse of a flawed system. You either find a scribe to do it for you, or you do it manually.

I use it on characters that have scribe levels. Morfran has a physical copy of every book he has published in the libraries and when he gives it away, it needs replacing.
As a level one scribe there is 50% chance of a failure for each entry. It still easily takes ten minutes to finish a book when using the copy/paste techniques. I will not be typing entries that are too long to verify the spelling only to have to retype them thrice. I'm all for realism but such a method would take longer than it would physically take me to write the text.

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 21:24 PM 

Player

Dead wrote:
Dergaii wrote:

Cheating? Really? So when my character wants to write a letter and I want to make a physical in-game item for someone instead of sending a pm, to give flavor to the roleplay, if I don't type out the whole letter in my chat box over and over again, I'm cheating? Sorry, no. I have better things to do with my in-game time, and will continue to c/p. I feel confident my 14 - 16 int character can write a letter on her own without help.

Bravo21

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 22:23 PM 

Player

Ts_ wrote:
Hey,

Have mercy on us, Dead. There are more interesting things to life than typing /s ds_j append ... a couple of times. (The fact that the speed of scribing isn't limited, feels like an opportunity for abuse, though.)

Bravo21 wrote:

Regards
Ts

You have to create a job system item, change the name and description, then put it and the regular item you wish to change into the desk. The option to copy the item should appear at that point. I don't remember if the order items are placed in the desk matter so test it on something you don't mind losing first.

-Krrja

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 23:14 PM 

Player

Ts_ wrote:
Hey,

The XP is, and has been capped. You can't get anymore XP in an allotted time frame then you're supposed so. :)

Edit: Also, AFAIK, only job system items can be changed, Scribe job or no.

Ts_

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 15 2016, 21:36 PM 

Player

Bravo21 wrote:
You have to create a job system item, change the name and description, then put it and the regular item you wish to change into the desk. The option to copy the item should appear at that point. I don't remember if the order items are placed in the desk matter so test it on something you don't mind losing first.

Hmm, I just tried it and couldn't get that to work. I don't see a "Copy" option at all. (The second item was not an job system item.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]