View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Holy_Avenger

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 9:50 AM 

Player

So, I was browsing Baldur's Gate II again some time ago and I've come across this spell.

Yet, I was like 'Wow... This could be really awesome for a Wizard/Cleric(With Time domain)/Sorc, as far as it is even practicable.

My question is... Is it possible to make such spell on Amia? Is it even acceptable, or is it considered too strong/OP?

Contingency

Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Time 6
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting time: At least 10 minutes; see text
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: One day/level (D) or until discharged

You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. If complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spell occurs based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.

You can use only one contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.

Material Component: That of the companion spell, plus quicksilver and an eyelash of an ogre mage, rakshasa, or similar spell-using creature.
Focus: A statuette of you carved from elephant ivory and decorated with gems (worth at least 1,500 gp). You must carry the focus for the contingency to work.

Holy_Avenger

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 9:53 AM 

Player

Chain Contingency

Evocation
Level: Sorcerer 9, Wizard 9,
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: At least 10 minutes; same as Contingency
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Onde day/level (D) or until discharged

As the contingency spell, except that you can place up to three other spells upon your person so that they come into effect under some condition you dictate when casting chain contingency.
The spells can come into effect simultaneously or one at a time, one per round.

Rigela

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:07 AM 

Player

It already exists, somewhat, as an item property in NWN - but I'm fairly confident it won't get added as is too strong.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:14 AM 

Player

No Contingencies or Sequencers, sadly!

Holy_Avenger

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:48 AM 

Player

Well, I was more or less thinking about defensive spells instead of attacking. (It would be kinda silly, to make it 'finger, Finger, FINGER' and fire it on someone.

No, I was thinking about thinks like 'Stoneskin, premonition, Improved Invisibility' popped when someone hits you. OR something like that.

I definitely do not claim that wizard/clerics/sorcs are weak, absolutely not!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 12:28 PM 

Tester

Sequencer only works with non-offensive spells. All the same, it's just as unlikely that anyone will be getting that, certainly not entire casting classes.

Elorathall

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 15:06 PM 

Player

Holy_Avenger wrote:
No, I was thinking about thinks like 'Stoneskin, premonition, Improved Invisibility' popped when someone hits you. OR something like that.

Then we could throw every Assassin and other ambush character right out the window. Contingency spells are neat on tabletop, but utterly broken for a PvP environment.

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 19:38 PM 

Player

LetumLux wrote:
No Contingencies or Sequencers, sadly!

except not sadly.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 08 2016, 21:08 PM 

Player

i need a chain contingancy that says

1; if i ever get targeted with a an offensive effect it casts prismatic sphere
2; if i ever would die it plane-shifts me to my personal demiplane that has all kinds of wonky time rules cause i made it myself
3; if it ever would be dispelled, before it gets dispelled it casts a contingency that:

1; if i ever would die it plane-shifts me to my personal demiplane that has all kinds of wonky time rules cause i made it myself

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]