View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
MightNMagic

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:44 AM 

Player

I've always had this idea that made sense that Master Explorers (job system) shouldn't ever get lost in the Underdark or in any other similar circumstance of future coding. It makes sense that an accomplished Explorer would have an impeccable sense of direction and could navigate difficult and tricky terrain types.

It'd make a lot of sense and make them a nice party asset, especially since it seems a lot of the maps they make are broken atm.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

corypx

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:47 AM 

Player

Christopher Columbus :lol:

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:52 AM 

Player

corypx wrote:
Christopher Columbus :lol:

Now, now.... he knew exactly where he was, just the rest of the world disagreed sometime later when they knew more!

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 2:25 AM 

Player

think this would get a lot of people to just splash the minimum level of explorer until they understood the underdark.

there's an item ig dm's can give you that makes you count as an UD race. I assume if you actually explorer mapped the whole underdark you could get one.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 2:58 AM 

Player

I hate that widget with a passion, it just makes the UD more surfacer friendly.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:33 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
think this would get a lot of people to just splash the minimum level of explorer until they understood the underdark.

Well that would be a full rank Explorer 3, which pretty much leaves you not a whole lot else to do with points. If you just wanted to "understand" the underdark, all you have to do is roll up a lvl 1 <insert underdark race here> and go click on the door for the menu. You would of course have to keep and maintain Explorer 3. Getting a Job Log reset and dropping below that loses you the benefit.

Naivatkal wrote:

How dreadful. Someone has to not waste 10 minutes clicking a door. Awful. Truly. The possibility there might be some encounters and roleplay in the vast emptiness of no players down there!

Bit of a silly complaint on a social roleplaying game, imo. :roll:

Yes, I do know of the widget, however, to me, this makes more sense. A person impeccably trained in navigation method with an innate sense of direction (Explorer 3) would be able to navigate anything from featureless sand dunes, vast seas to cave systems.

Widgets are a bit silly as things suggested they represent are largely things that can be undone. Maps can be stolen. (And in the vastness of the underdark, definitely would be if you got "knocked out" (dead).)

Such a skilled person makes a lot more sense navigating the underdark (and elsewhere) than random PC of an underdark race, especially considering the vast majority of underdark folk never leave their cities to begin with.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 6:01 AM 

Player

The Underdark is like another world entirely compared to the surface. The widget allows the appropriate RP to have taken place and for DMs to keep track of those individuals rather than them getting free (Free as in no RP required) access to the UD. While this is a RP server, there is also the integrity of the setting to uphold. It isn't the fault of the DMs or developers if nobody in the UD comes to the surface to RP, or vice versa.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 16:34 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:

This is a good thing, btw.

Anatida

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 20:54 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:

I disagree. Not that many PCs have the widget, and there are legitimate reasons why some "surfacers" would be able to navigate the UD.

On the OP, I disagree that master rank in explorer should auto-qualify for the UD widget/navigation. If you put in the RP, have a suitable backstory, or use those master levels to map all of the UD (Yeah I know it's broken, make a request with the DMs) then perhaps on a case by case basis.

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 20:55 PM 

Player

Anatida wrote:
Naivatkal wrote:

I disagree. Not that many PCs have the widget, and there are legitimate reasons why some "surfacers" would be able to navigate the UD.

On the OP, I disagree that master rank in explorer should auto-qualify for the UD widget/navigation. If you put in the RP, have a suitable backstory, or use those master levels to map all of the UD (Yeah I know it's broken, make a request with the DMs) then perhaps on a case by case basis.

I am in complete agreement with this.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Xenos

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 21:09 PM 

Player

Explorers get lost all the time, otherwise their doing it wrong. Only difference is, they don't call it lost, they call it Exploring!

An explorer might have a better idea of what he is doing while 'exploring' in the UD, and would not be helplessly turned around, but likely would also not know how to navagate the same way a native would. Just how a lot of explorers have guides native to an area. Sacagawea for example.

House Auvrea'Kan Crafts and Services is now open and prepared to discuss orders.

Lutra

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 03 2016, 21:29 PM 

Player

People can request it...and an explorer has to map the UD areas befrore before requesting it, really. That is a minimum imho.

msheeler

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:20 AM 

Player

What Lutra and someone else said. I made the request for it and got it after proving I had mapped a high percentage of the areas... (over 80%).

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:29 AM 

Player

msheeler wrote:
What Lutra and someone else said. I made the request for it and got it after proving I had mapped a high percentage of the areas... (over 80%).

Clearly in the top percentage of underdark explorers.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]