View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ] 
EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:22 AM 

Player

Hey currently the STR bonus to damage is only multiplied by 1.5x if you're using a two handed weapon. I think it should be changed so that if you have no shield and are using a single handed weapon that the weapon should receive the bonus to AB instead of DMG. For example a human with a longsword, no offhand and 30 STR/DEXfinesse (10 modifier) would receive 15 AB instead of 10. Right now shields are pretty much must have on any build that doesn't use dex/wis with monk incorporated, or with a character that utilizes two weapon fighting or a ranged two hander. I think there should be some bonus to fighting with just a one handed weapon and no offhand besides the slight damage boost mentioned above. When you think about it realistically a shield does slow you down and make it difficult to angle your weapon compared to not having one, regardless of how strong you are it is still a thing that is blocking your own path as well as the enemy's. Alternatively I suggest incorporating an AB penalty to equipping a shield depending on its size.

If you're going to sacrifice defense and damage, you should get precision.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:25 AM 

Player

This is absolutely unbalanced, and not feasible, on all levels. Sorry.

EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:27 AM 

Player

Hey can you please elaborate on your thoughts?

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:42 AM 

Player

yeah +8 free ab for having some monk levels

ill take it.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:45 AM 

Player

Did I miss something? Can you explain what you mean?

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:49 AM 

Player

if you're empty handed ie no shield you could make a monk who just got wis ac >= a shield and then free ab.

so splash some monk, get shield ac via wisdom and then also like whatever ab bonus you're proposing.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:49 AM 

Player

EdwardVB wrote:
Hey can you please elaborate on your thoughts?

A dex fighter can easily still hit 57-60 AC without using a shield, so your proposed bonus would be giving them about another +7 AB, sitting them unbuffed at about 55-58 AB, depending on class layout and weapon loadout. This means doing this only widens the gulf between epic dodge dexers, who can afford to do this, and strength characters, whose only gimmick is damage, even more.

An AB penalty to equipping a shield only even more intensely penalizes non dex melee builds, widening the gap still further, since dex characters don't care about the AC hit and will still use the smaller shield and still have far superior AC (as will clerics and paladins who buff so high they don't care, or mages who similarly don't) while STr characters are still forced to use tower shields, now with even less attack bonus, probably nullifying the entire benefit of taking the Weaponmaster class into high epic - this isn't even touching classes like rangers, barbarains, dwarven defenders, blackguards, bards, and etc who don't have all day 100% uptime attack bonus with their weapon of chocie and would instead be runnig "a llittle better than normal" when buffed, and woefully disadvantaged when using the shield.

Dex melee is already leagues above STR and almost entirely due to the existence of Epic Dodge. Don't penalize them, and buff STR, even further.

EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:50 AM 

Player

@Commie: Thanks. I knew the idea wasn't perfect I was just, well, throwing an idea out there. That could be easily fixed by making it a feat toggle like power attack that denies your monk AC when it's active due to your offensive stance.

@Tormak: If DEX builds are a problem then make it not work with finesse.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:02 AM 

Player

I think you're missing the point entirely. Getting 7 or 8 AB for not using a shield is not balanced. It obviates two handed weapons from existence, because it doesn't matter if you do 300 damage if you can't hit your target. That means doing this change also removes two handed weapons from viability, because getting that much attack bonus is vastly greater than having the slight amount more damage.

EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:04 AM 

Player

Ok then we construct and say hey, maybe if the toggle is on it works for two handers too but you lose the 1.5x strength bonus damage while it's active and only get the normal 1x.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 16:26 PM 

Player

I don't think you're reading the first line of my posts where it says this is completely unbalanced no matter who has it or how they have it. Again, you are missing the point. In a world where people go 16 levels of a class to get +2 ab, getting 7 to 8 for not using a shield is absolutely insane. Adding modifiers and restrictions doesn't make it any more balanced, it just makes it a razors edge of builds that will actually be able to enjoy it and become vastly superior, leaving the rest to rot in the dust.

EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 18:23 PM 

Player

I just want true strike to not be a requirement for PvP. People have ludicrous AC and it's so much harder to pump AB out than it is AC. Numbers I posted were just an idea, like a first draft. Doesn't have to be 1.5x STR or whatever I just think if you're using a two-hander and getting a tiny bit of damage it's almost never worth it over a shield or second weapon. The one extra mythal slot is kind of a joke because a shield + sword have 4 and 3, a two-hander just has 5 so you're dropping two potential attributes, saves, etc just by not filling that item slot.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 19:16 PM 

Player

Str people can get close to 60 ab tho. Without true strike. Thats kind of their advantage, thst and dmg and carry weight.

It's not quite an even advantage but it is one.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 19:17 PM 

Player

Also true strike is an easily counterable pvp gimmick, do as Lord Humongous said and just walk away.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

EdwardVB

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 20:07 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
Str people can get close to 60 ab tho. Without true strike. Thats kind of their advantage, thst and dmg and carry weight.

It's not quite an even advantage but it is one.

I guess I'm bad at building. That kind of AB is unheard of to me. Even my Arcane Archer is gonna have less than that.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 20:36 PM 

Player

How many great stat feats you getting? As an aa though should be able to get a few.

Normally I see 19 aa with a fighter or some full bab class and two bard (one bard at 30 for disc/tumble) and I think it's honestly the highest ab build you can get on Amia.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 9:16 AM 

Player

And now: How does a non-AA manage that? (You said STR...) Because AA literally gets 10 free AB. Also, how long do you have those 60 AB? 5 rounds? A turn?

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 16:06 PM 

Player

19 weapon master and max starting strength gets you almost 60, and with some basic buffs you'll get over 60 easily.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 16:10 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
19 weapon master and max starting strength gets you almost 60, and with some basic buffs you'll get over 60 easily.

Please explain!

Max starting STR 20 +7=27+12 gear=39

Let's say you can get 3 Gr STR? =42 STR

19 WM gives +4

25 BAB+ 16 STR mod +3 focuses +1 Prowess +4 WM +5 weapon =54, still 6 to go for 60. What am I missing?

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 16:43 PM 

Player

apparently quite a bit.

ask some people that use the build how they roll at +60. hang around the arena and watch combat logs.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:17 PM 

Player

Aid, Bless, War Cry, Battletide all increase AB and are available in certain stores.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:17 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
apparently quite a bit.

ask some people that use the build how they roll at +60. hang around the arena and watch combat logs.

Thank you, most helpful.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:20 PM 

Player

Richard Edmund wrote:
Aid, Bless, War Cry, Battletide all increase AB and are available in certain stores.

I was asking based on this:

Commie wrote:

Of course, with aid, bless, etc you can get there. But... according to Commie, you are almost 60 without and can -easily- get OVER 60.

That has me very curious.

Kraniumbrud

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 17:26 PM 

Player

though still... I doubt it would be "easy" to get 60 ab without being half ogre or something the 60 ab thing is something ive only seen in AA's, you would have to go through barbarian battledrums like candy.

though I will say aid and bless is easy to get a hold off as 1/day items

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 19:14 PM 

Player

That Guy wrote:
Commie wrote:

Please explain!

Max starting STR 20 +7=27+12 gear=39

Let's say you can get 3 Gr STR? =42 STR

19 WM gives +4

25 BAB+ 16 STR mod +3 focuses +1 Prowess +4 WM +5 weapon =54, still 6 to go for 60. What am I missing?

Aid bless battle tide

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 19:18 PM 

Player

Ahhh, so you did mean with buffs gets you close to 60, even though you said, "with basic buffs can get over 60 easily". Just wanted clarification on that, thanks!

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 19:54 PM 

Player

I mean, you can. There are a ton of ways to self buff yourself and hit over sixty.

Not to mention other tricks like being a hin planetouched for a free to hit and ac as well. I'm sure there's more. My nwn system mastery isn't on point yet. I don't exactly know what all these odd foods or insignia rings or scabbards or drums do, I just see 1d20+61 vs drax in the combat log.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 20:09 PM 

Player

Ahh, well... that could include situational modifiers too, being flanked, prone, etc all have an effect, as well as Dodge.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 20:23 PM 

Player

You can hit 61 'easily', yes. But you are also loosing out on Epic Fort, Dev Crit, Epic Weapon Spec, and Evasion. It's not ideal at all, to be honest. Sure you hit the same AC as everyone else, but you are looking at buffs that last a short time. Aid and bless are 2 and 3 minutes (normal), Battletide is 54 seconds, War Cry is 42, Divine Favor is 1 minute. So you are looking at about 7 rounds of 61 AB, then 8 seconds of 60, then 42 seconds of 59, then about 1 min of 58... if you haven't dropped your enemy after that first 59+ AB segment then your 61 AB really doesn't matter (and trust me, when the other person is running 70 AC as a WM they will just wait for your buffs to fade and then switch off IE and the playing field is about level).

Personally I'd rather have Dev Crit for 1-fishing than a short burst of +1 AB (vs a 16 WM with the exact same buffs). I might have accidentally some numbers, but that's the breakdown of it.

PS I think you can max the 19 WM at 69 AB, but that's with a TS that lasts all of 1 round, really. Or 63 with a friendly bard using their song. Also good luck being a planetouched vs Banishment/WoF. I love outsiders.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]