View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:04 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Speeecifically my Diety. Gunna dig out this can o'worms I've kinda been sketchy about unshelving for a while.

When I initially noticed that Tiamat hasn't had Trickery added to her domain repertoire, what I found on a careful examination was that it was for balancing reasons -- which, on the surface, is both a nice consideration and very true. No god should have more than maybe five/six domains.

Don't get me wrong: I'm perfectly 'OKAY' with what I have now, because I get an early-ish Word of Faith and Divine Power so it works better for my battle cleric spellslots. But I'd like to address, if I may in a non powercreep fashion, that as great as condensing the list is for balance; there's more than one god that's artificially improved due to the 'Six domain Standard'.

Both Falazure and Shar have more domains than they are actually intended to have -- which in and of itself wouldn't be a point of contention except for the fact that both deities (and in the case of Falazure, even moreso if you look at material that's actually FR canon) have 'HUGE' buffs by the fact that those domains are there; with Shar gaining Trickery, and Null/Falazure gaining Magic (and depending on which you read, swapping Scalykind for Dragon)

With that said, most of Tiamat's domain selection is largely an adequate representation as it is -- but since none of the other draconic deities are stuck with it, could she drop Scalykind for Trickery?

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 17 2016, 3:15 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

While I'm at it.

The Undeath domain actually gives you the Undead summoning spells later than the base class gets it.

While this is immensely hilarious, and means you could theoretically have a stupid number of extended undead summoning slots; can we be realistic in saying this was probably accidental?

*all right.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:51 AM 

Player

Domains
Tyranny, Vengeance[7]
'Formerly: Evil, Law, Scalykind

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tiamat

Dragon was also added and Vengeance (.e. Retribution) made Strength. Trickery is not on her list, per FR sources. I understand Draconomicon's list is slightly different. We use the list from Faerun specific sources.

On a thematic level, she is also not a very Trickery oriented deity. She is incredibly overt in her actions and the actions she urges her worshippers to take, in contrast with Shar.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:10 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Trickery is not on her list, per FR sources. I understand Draconomicon's list is slightly different. We use the list from Faerun specific sources.

Oh. Well now I feel dumb.

The Draconomicon's list was what I was usin' :s

The undead domain bit is still relevant though. For that matter, a good few domains could use a nice cleanup to give them more life and use.

It'd be nice if almost every domain was almost equally useful.

*all right.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]