View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Xenos

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 12:12 PM 

Player

So i've long thought of a means for a pure caster to fill in the dps when doing a long haul, other than just standing around invis waiting for buffed players/summons to do the work. The trouble has been that even if one could take out a whole spawn with 1 spell, the walk from Uhm to Wharftown would still see you out of spells about half way. It just makes the blaster type mage not so useful. That is not to say a Mage could not do good damage, but rather it's all upfront, burst dps, with little lasting power.

Original ideal was something i'd thought to call 'The Rod of the Mile Mage' and it was intended as a progression of Mith's crafting, which would have unlimited, or X uses of Lesser Missile Storm, per day. Thus giving the mage some filler damage between buff or cc. This is still a viable option that may yet come to pass, though Mith would hate the idea of shady fucks getting their hands on his work, but anyway..

The new idea have had ties into the recent changes to spell schools, and my thought was to have a unlimited uses per day spell of lvl 1-3 for each school, that a mage would get access to based upon their SF feats. Some schools are a little harder to sort out useful options for, but at a glance i'd say something along the lines of..

Conjuration; Melf's Acid Arrow. I had considered Grease or Web, but Grease would be far too powerful, and if freedom is removed, Web would be a bit much as well. These spells are not intended to be drastic game changers mine, thus, Acid Arrow, ideally with the boons of one's ESF: Conj, but either way, it would be a suitable added bit of dps.

Evocation; Magic Missile. There are lots of options here, Electric Loop could be damn useful too, but MM just fits.

Necromancy: Negative Energy Ray. Little tougher here, maybe Vamp Touch would work too, that would be quite nice. N. Energy Burst would be OP, i think, but perhaps worth considering.

Abjuration; Resistance? This is where it gets kinda hard. Resistance seems useful, as it lasts a long while with ESF: Abjur, but can only be prepared 4 times per day. So being able to do it unlimited times would be of value, but not serve to give the mage any sort of lasting dps. Alas there is nothing damage wise that would fill the role!

Divination; See Invis. Maybe True Strike, which would be crazy useful, but maybe not to over the top considering the investment into a school that is otherwise not that useful?

Enchantment; Tasha's hideous laughter. Maybe Blindness/Deafness?

Illusion; Color Spray. Maybe Invis. Being able to use Invis unlimited times changed the game for me, given the way the AI likes to run down lower AC people, even a low CL invis to let a mage keep out of aggro, throw a spell or three, then hide again was just huge. Might be worth having on a lower end bit of gear for the novice mage. Color Spray though, unless i misunderstand, is a stunned for 1 + 1d4 rounds vs will save against anything with 5+ HD. Thats.. useful at all levels.

Transmutation; Slow. Seems the most obvious choice, though it is pretty powerful. Other viable options being Burning Hands.. which is an odd Trans spell! Retreat would be useful too, but not ideal.

House Auvrea'Kan Crafts and Services is now open and prepared to discuss orders.

Terra_777

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 12:54 PM 

Administrative Developer

I do have the functions to set spells are ready or not. Its mechanically possible to refund the spell after it was used, giving it unlimited uses. It'd however be a problem for sorcs/bards if they an of spells for that spell-level as it'd not be possible to cast at all if they don't have alteast 1 use left.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 13:33 PM 

Player

We're already working on something here with the spell widget.

Stay tuned.

Terra_777

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 13:48 PM 

Administrative Developer

Spell widget is a good choice too, I can actually make a spell-like ability behave as if it was unlimited granted it'd be a spell-like ability.

Xenos

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 18:30 PM 

Player

This sound promising.

For you druid and clerics out there, my thought was that you guys actually have a presence in melee thus already having a source of supplemental damage.

House Auvrea'Kan Crafts and Services is now open and prepared to discuss orders.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 19:21 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Could still be used on some of the lower circle healing spells.

Who here has ever casted a healing cantrip?

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 20:34 PM 

Player

I have! Lots!

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 21 2016, 23:05 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Rip.

Still couldn't hurt past the early levels!

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 22 2016, 0:20 AM 

Player

Oh I agree, I forgot to add that, while I haven't look deeply into it, I like the idea.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 22 2016, 1:22 AM 

Player

The spell widget is pretty much made for this, yeah.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 22 2016, 1:25 AM 

Player

#StraightOutaAvernus wrote:
Could still be used on some of the lower circle healing spells.

Who here has ever casted a healing cantrip?

i pretty much only have my cantrips on my divine casters as cure spells.

i mean why not?

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]