View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
ucfgoose

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2016, 21:34 PM 

Developer

With some of the recent changes to spells the mylocks seem to be a bit overpowered for the reward you get. In the last 24 hours I've seen people getting nuked left and right by them. Some of the people that have gone in there have pretty strong characters and they are in high teens/low 20s. Perhaps they can be checked out.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2016, 21:40 PM 

DM

Can you give any details? Most of the spells they have access to really didn't get a change besides an epic focus bonus which I know for a fact they don't have.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2016, 21:41 PM 

Player

Think they just cast fireball. But you can get fire resist easily and farm with impunity.

edit; in fact i think the orc dungeon just before this drops a helm with fire resist.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2016, 22:06 PM 

Developer

Commie wrote:
Think they just cast fireball. But you can get fire resist easily and farm with impunity.

edit; in fact i think the orc dungeon just before this drops a helm with fire resist.

Fireball, flame arrow, magic missile, Gedlee's electric loop, ray of frost, web, wall of fire, web, defensive spells, and goodness knows how many APR.

They've always been tougher than most things of their approximate level range anyway, but with the number of people that I've seen getting skunked by them recently I thought I should see if there was something up that ended up making them more powerful.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2016, 22:10 PM 

Player

Well most of those spells you listed are fire damage, so get some fire resist gear.

The Orc helm has like 10 iirc.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2016, 22:14 PM 

Developer

ucfgoose wrote:
Fireball, flame arrow, magic missile, Gedlee's electric loop, ray of frost, web, wall of fire, web, defensive spells, and goodness knows how many APR.

They've always been tougher than most things of their approximate level range anyway, but with the number of people that I've seen getting skunked by them recently I thought I should see if there was something up that ended up making them more powerful.

Of those spells, the ones I saw that were updated even with regular spell focus are:

Magic missile: Each Spell Focus adds +1 damage per missile, Epic Spell focus makes each missile bounce once to a new target.
Gedlee's electric loop: Each Spell focus is +1d6 to the damage of the spell. Epic Focus doubles the AoE and adds +1 round to the stun's duration.
Fireball: Each Spell Focus adds +2d6 to the dice cap of the spell. Epic Focus gives 10% fire vulnerability to targets that fail their save for 5 rounds. Nonstacking.
Wall of fire: Each Spell Focus adds +1d6 to the damage of the spell. Epic Focus applies a Combust effect, burning the target for 2d6 damage a round for 3 rounds after the target leaves the wall. Does not stack.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 3:48 AM 

Player

Are you noticing increases in the spell's average damages? I do not believe the typical mylocks have the spell focus feats, which are the only way they'd access the new sstuff.

PS: Mylocks are only difficult for the average person because they're not trying to utilize their weaknesses.

Commie

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 4:36 AM 

Player

I don't think any of them get any of the spell focus stuff at all.

With evasion or a high reflex save, or any kind of bludgeoning weapons (as they take a ton of extra bludgeoning damage), or a source of slashing/fire resist (like the helm from the previous dungeon), it's easy as pie.

It's like Darkhold. If you gear right it's cruise control for essentially uncontested xp.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 15:35 PM 

Player

This is incorrect. They are, in my opinion, a bit too meaty for the level in which you should be hunting them. Lets say you aren't playing an optimized build with a high reflex save. The DC of the fireball is 20. Meaning that even with 10FR you are taking, on average, 10-12 dmg from 3-4 sources at once. This is while being chopped at for a healthy amount in melee range, while other throw axes and you just happen to be standing in a web, and a fire cloud. They also have 10DR. At that level is cuts your damage down to about 14-15 with a str build on a non crit. I get what you guys are saying, but I promise you a wm without a boost from friends isn't going to do so well there in his teens. Just wont. They are broke, undergeared and those jokers are hard.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 15:48 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Are you noticing increases in the spell's average damages? I do not believe the typical mylocks have the spell focus feats, which are the only way they'd access the new sstuff.

PS: Mylocks are only difficult for the average person because they're not trying to utilize their weaknesses.

In general, yeah. I have seen some increases in damage from basic evo spells. The Chosen didn't used to wipe people with his fireballs. That spell in particular seems to have gotten ugly.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 16:00 PM 

Player

What CR are they again? Any idea at what level you get 30 xp a kill? I think that means you are dead even with their CR.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 16:30 PM 

Player

In general, I don't think anything should be changed with them, aside from the level/xp gained. Malarites are far easier (The Khem Minotaurs are too) and there isn't any incentive to fight them, as they have a poor loot bin. I know you guys have a full plate, it just seems like a waste to have them there. Kind of like the trolls in the Skull Crags. I only level with these creatures when I am doing RP with others and we are adventuring.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2016, 22:46 PM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
This is incorrect. They are, in my opinion, a bit too meaty for the level in which you should be hunting them. Lets say you aren't playing an optimized build with a high reflex save. The DC of the fireball is 20. Meaning that even with 10FR you are taking, on average, 10-12 dmg from 3-4 sources at once. This is while being chopped at for a healthy amount in melee range, while other throw axes and you just happen to be standing in a web, and a fire cloud. They also have 10DR. At that level is cuts your damage down to about 14-15 with a str build on a non crit. I get what you guys are saying, but I promise you a wm without a boost from friends isn't going to do so well there in his teens. Just wont. They are broke, undergeared and those jokers are hard.

They have 10 slashing Dr, 5 piercing, and a WEAKNESS to bludgeoning.

Use a different weapon.

Darkblade

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 7:01 AM 

Player

There hard compared to the others things you can hunt for the same xp, but not impossible.
Malarites and spiders are allot more easy for most builds that's why Mylocks are hardly hunted.
Having said that there are a lot of monsters and areas that are not balanced to one another, from loot drops to Xp.
To me the Mylocks are more then fine and actually provide a challenge and something else to do then spiders

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 10:32 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
They have 10 slashing Dr, 5 piercing, and a WEAKNESS to bludgeoning.

Use a different weapon.

I've been here a year and didn't know that! Trying not to go off topic but I have to ask how people are meant to find out about these weaknesses? I struggled with the Mylocks since day one, most likely a curse from being range focused, and only now I can walk round them without a care as my badger kicks ass and I have the hp not to worry if they hit me... not to mention being immune to web!

Is there something in writing ICly that characters can study to know these things or am I assuming its all OOC word of mouth... which is fine I guess if you can find someone who knows such things for most encounters! To be fair, and this isn't me trying to be an ass, but the questing side of things on this server is one I find most haphazard when it comes to continuation and progression from job to job. It tends to be random that I find a place I can get xp in and be good at it... only to level and progression stops.

If something is out there that helps ICly, and isn't player dependant, it hasn't been to clear to me. :shock:

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 15:11 PM 

Player

Try different weapons.

Sometimes even despite being a weapon master you're better off not using your weapon of choice.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2016, 17:03 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Just interjecting here, completely off topic from balancing them; but none of these creatures have actual caster levels IIRC, but rather get all their spells by way of Monster Abilities -- which have an innate cap of caster level 15~.

SR spells from a cleric of 18th level or higher are also a suitable counter for the area as a result, and pretty much neuters their entire threat (they do awful melee DPS). Not that I'm saying everyone has a cleric buddy, obviously, but if you look in the right places IC you might be able to pay/ask for the blessings of one.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 18 2016, 3:18 AM 

Player

#StraightOutaAvernus wrote:
Just interjecting here, completely off topic from balancing them; but none of these creatures have actual caster levels IIRC, but rather get all their spells by way of Monster Abilities -- which have an innate cap of caster level 15~.

SR spells from a cleric of 18th level or higher are also a suitable counter for the area as a result, and pretty much neuters their entire threat (they do awful melee DPS). Not that I'm saying everyone has a cleric buddy, obviously, but if you look in the right places IC you might be able to pay/ask for the blessings of one.

This is wrong, many of our caster monsters utilize class levels.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:01 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

TormakSaber wrote:
#StraightOutaAvernus wrote:

This is wrong, many of our caster monsters utilize class levels.

Oh. Rip in peace.

SR is still effective declawing against mylocks though.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]