View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:13 AM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Would it be possible, for purely roleplaying purposes, to get a shop that sells weapons with "No Damage" and a -5 Damage Penalty added to the module?

Ideally these should be available in all forms, but I would be one to think it's perfectly valid to include only a few. ^_^

Alternatively, could we theoretically 'get' a no damage mode, or voluntary damage and AB debuffs? This is strictly for high level vs. low level melee and ranged combative training!

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:17 AM 

Player

Aren't there already no damage weapons in game, pretty sure I've seen them and used one too!?

Karradon

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:21 AM 

Player

They are "No Damage" But you still do some if you got a positive STR modifier.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 9:24 AM 

Player

Karradon wrote:
They are "No Damage" But you still do some if you got a positive STR modifier.

So you have to fight naked and remove all gear? :shock:

Kudark

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 16:21 PM 

Player

There are training weapons that deal no damage, even training arrows, but I think it does help to lower your Str Mod gear, though I hope all your gear doesn't have Str on it lol.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 19:26 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

>When you're a cleric, so it does

:?

*all right.

Kudark

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 19:51 PM 

Player

You can get your +12 Str cap with 3 items, just sayin'. *shrugs* But anyway, there's a place to get the training weapons for free.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 23:46 PM 

Player

Educate me. *Slurpslurp*

*all right.

SamTheGiantSlayer

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 25 2016, 23:51 PM 

Player

There are several places with no damage weapons. Anytime you see the "Weapons Rack" or "Training Weapons Rack", click on it. In the item's inventory you'll find every weapon there is with the no damage property tied to it.

Two examples that come to mind are the Eilistraeen shrine and the training grounds outside of Wiltun's walls.

Thats the way it crumbles ... cookie-wise!

Kudark

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 26 2016, 0:07 AM 

Player

I was tryin' to make him find out IC, silly :P
But yeah, those are the two I know of.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 26 2016, 6:32 AM 

Player

They sell no damage weapons in L'obsul, down by the crafting area. Geeze. Why so cryptic?

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:04 AM 

Player

SamTheGiantSlayer wrote:
There are several places with no damage weapons. Anytime you see the "Weapons Rack" or "Training Weapons Rack", click on it. In the item's inventory you'll find every weapon there is with the no damage property tied to it.

Two examples that come to mind are the Eilistraeen shrine and the training grounds outside of Wiltun's walls.

lol yeah I was trying not to say it OOCly but yes, those two places!!

666WaysToHell

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:25 AM 

Player

Certain things shouldn't fall under the "Find out IC" rule when it's purely beneficial for RP, such as this, for example.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 26 2016, 9:33 AM 

Player

666WaysToHell wrote:
Certain things shouldn't fall under the "Find out IC" rule when it's purely beneficial for RP, such as this, for example.

I would debate such a thing given that it is an IC resource, after all I remember someone once asking how to find a crafting resource OOCly and they were pointedly told to 'look' in the places you might find them. Same thing can ultimately apply here given that the training ground in Wiltun is right there for all to see. Though to the OP the question was if they could be added to shops which the answer is they are already there!
No hardship to ask around ICly for training weapons, pretty sure you can craft some of them as well.

DolphinRacer

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 0:35 AM 

Player

We don't let lizards use our training grounds! Just kidding (or am I?)! Anyways, did not realize that the reason those did damage was the STR modifier >.> But it makes sense. I mean, a padded sword swung hard enough can still completely ruin a guys day (and skull).

Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 27 2016, 0:44 AM 

Player

could you add a -100 damage modifier to them

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

DolphinRacer

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 0:20 AM 

Player

I think (and I'm sure I'm wrong I usually am) that the weapons are meant to represent the fact that they are blunt and/or padded and designed for training. That being said, a weapon designed for training can still hurt or even kill a person, even one wearing armor, if used with sufficient force and/or skill, so making them literally incapable of causing damage doesn't make a lot of sense. Instead you might want to invest in "padded" armor/shields/cloaks...in other words damage resist gear, and probably insist that your strength based sparring partner take off his enchantments, if you don't want to risk getting hurt in training.

Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:47 AM 

Player

And how about going easy on someone? I mean this weekend, I was playing a game called jugger, and it's basically hitting people withpdded weapons. And while I for the most part didn't care and used all my force, there were times where I didn't hit as hard as I could. When a 30 is sparring with, let's say, a five, he most likely wouldn't use all his force. It ties in more with the voluntary debuff widget suggested in a different topic here. Things like -Str or -AB or damage. That would make more sense to me, personally.

But since that won't neccessarily work out, there are way to not hit as hard or to pad a weapon to soften blows even more than just losing the damage from being a longsword.

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 28 2016, 15:09 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
And how about going easy on someone? I mean this weekend, I was playing a game called jugger, and it's basically hitting people withpdded weapons. And while I for the most part didn't care and used all my force, there were times where I didn't hit as hard as I could. When a 30 is sparring with, let's say, a five, he most likely wouldn't use all his force. It ties in more with the voluntary debuff widget suggested in a different topic here. Things like -Str or -AB or damage. That would make more sense to me, personally.

But since that won't neccessarily work out, there are way to not hit as hard or to pad a weapon to soften blows even more than just losing the damage from being a longsword.

This is very right.

Just because your character have a natural naked Strength of 70.. does not mean the character -HAVE- to put all that Strength when hitting someone with whatever kind of weapon that is being used.

Though giving a negative STR buff means characters with Low STR can go to negative, so going to a -DMG Debuff on training weapons would be better. Does not need to be huge values.
The initial proposed value of -5 dmg seens enough.. plus, as The Dolphin said, trainning armour most also be a thing so to add 5/+1 DR on of all classes of armour plus the No DMG -5 DMG weapons would make a very nice complete training set!

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:55 AM 

Player

Yep, you can also craft them too through the weapon smith job using some kind of wood (I forget which).

DolphinRacer

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 10 2016, 6:46 AM 

Player

rafaelmacgyver wrote:
robbi320 wrote:

This is very right.

Just because your character have a natural naked Strength of 70.. does not mean the character -HAVE- to put all that Strength when hitting someone with whatever kind of weapon that is being used.

Though giving a negative STR buff means characters with Low STR can go to negative, so going to a -DMG Debuff on training weapons would be better. Does not need to be huge values.
The initial proposed value of -5 dmg seens enough.. plus, as The Dolphin said, trainning armour most also be a thing so to add 5/+1 DR on of all classes of armour plus the No DMG -5 DMG weapons would make a very nice complete training set!

Eh I'd be leery about adding 5/+1 DR armor unless it had a cost to it. Giving away a free no damage weapon is one thing, giving away free DR armor (even if it is only suitable for really low level) is a different level. I do like the idea of -5 damage/no damage combo though on the weapons, it should mitigate the issue at least for a lot of folks.

And sorry, but a character with a nat str of 70 (supposing that were a real thing) may in fact be able to tone back and not put all their strength into it, but to them not putting all their strength into something would still be like 20 or 30 to anyone else. The saying "Not knowing your own strength" is a real thing, people with a lot of strength have a tendency, particularly when excited (i.e. during a sparring match) have difficulty measuring their own strength and toning it down for the situation. So an incredibly strong character toning it back (which I equate to removing their strength gear and using a none magicized weapon) still runs the risk of hurting an unprepared or undertrained person, period. Its an inherent risk in training or sparring with weapons, even training ones, its pretty easy to get hurt if you become careless or are unskilled, or likewise to hurt someone else.

That is of course just my opinion.

Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 10 2016, 20:18 PM 

Player

Yeah, I was thinking that too a bit. You can fight with LESS impact, but if you fight with no impact, well you're not fighting at all. So. Assuming a nat STR of 26, which, IIRC, is the normal amount for a STR build, a -5 would leave 3 damage going through. Personally, I feel it'd need a minus in AB too, because you aren't fighting the usual way, and you are trying to have the opponent not to get hurt. You are putting less Strength into your attack. And strength gives you AB too. But then you'd still need normal no damage then IMO...
Well, those 3 damage could then either be tanked or by putting on padded armor. Which could maybe either be sold, and/or mythal capped to be less useful. I'm pretty sure you can mythal that DR on anything, so if the armor is just made for that, who cares?

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 19:43 PM 

Developer

*goes all necromancer on this thread*

Because of NWN's engine all successful attacks will do at least one point of damage no matter what penalties you give it including No Combat Damage. All NCD does is prevent dice from being rolled. Even if you added a damage penalty of elevnty and stuck it in the hands of a character with 6 strength it will still hit for one point of damage. Of course said single point of damage could be mitigated by resistance said type.

Kuria - Lawful Misunderstood

Tyrone Stormont - Diplomat

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 02 2017, 20:19 PM 

Player

Even from normal training, you likely are going to get some bruises? I don't know. Still, NCD and -5 means you can spar for much longer. It's better than the current NCD. Or rather, would be better.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]