View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 17:43 PM 

Player

Since a discussion about DD's on the general questions forum, I had a thought. Currently, DD's must be within one step of their ancestor's alignment. That does open the door for this:

LN Gold DD
LN Green DD

Now, according to our lore, they should hate each other, though, with their similar outlooks, I see that that would not always be the case... BUT IT SHOULD BE.

So... my proposed change is... one step in the Law/Chaos axis, but... Metallics will be good, and Chromatics will be evil.

In other words, for Gold Dragon DD, you can be either LG or NG, but not LN.

Greens could be LE or NE, but not LN.

Thank you for your attention and consideration.

Anatida

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 18:16 PM 

Player

While I see where you're going with that; and I'm not dismissing the idea, I'd pose that just because they are both LN doesn't mean they would be the 'same sort of LN'. IE the Gold would still be drawn to battle against evil and foul play, even if they had a more neutral bent as to what constituted enough reason for them to get involved. A Green would still be a schemer and somewhat belligerent; even if not as loudly or obviously as a LE version.

When we are dealing with the fact that the dd rituals pulls one's feelings and inclinations more towards that of the ancestor dragon, I think that "alignment" is even more foggy than if we're just dealing with a vanilla type PC. So, while a Green may be LN - their blood is still going to pull them to the scheming, superior personality of a Green. Unlikely to be a compatible friend for a Gold that despises foul play (which IMO scheming would be considered foul play) - among other differences.

Just my 2 cents.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 18:21 PM 

Player

Yeah, I can agree Ana. Was giving a worst case scenario, that I can just see someone trying to use as an excuse. I suppose I'm going off the idea that you choose a color of dragon, that has implications, being good, evil or in some cases neutral. I do think at least that bit should be a standard. Does that make more sense?

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 20:03 PM 

Tester

I wouldn't support anything that makes dragons or dragon related lore even more beholden to the alignment system, and certainly not support anything that pre-empts much needed IC murkiness in RP(looking at you Deathless subtype). As is, youre more likely to find a Celestial or Devil slightly out of step with their "racial alignment" than a dragon.

In other words, the example you pose of a LN Green disciple and a LN Gold disciple both existing is a feature, not a bug. Theyd still hate each other, dont worry about that. Paladins and Blackguards that serve the same god(a la Hoar) likely still dislike each other. Likewise, alignment doesnt mean you have to get along with someone. I can name at least two PCs that each of my characters heavily dislike, even though they share an alignment with them. Preventing those two cases you mention from existing really isnt needed.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 20:12 PM 

Player

Quote:
So... my proposed change is... one step in the Law/Chaos axis, but... Metallics will be good, and Chromatics will be evil.

Eh.

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 20:46 PM 

Player

Eh? :) I suppose you're not really in favor....

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 21:14 PM 

Tester

Tormie forgets how to use his big boy words sometimes.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 21:29 PM 

Player

Everyone else covered it succinctly.

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 08 2016, 22:20 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I can't and won't support anything that pretends the law/chaos spectrum is more easily ignored and somehow less impactful on a character than the evil/good spectrum.

It's a four axis system. Just because neutral evil/neutral good/true neutral bards and barbarians are highly archaic restrictions I severely disagree with and I encourage completely ignoring it outside quintessentially a 'forbidden multiclassing' constraint does not mean I encourage the practice of trivializing alignment; especially where it (rather than improving class diversity) actively deteriorates class diversity.

Also worth mentioning: some chromatics and metallics actively tend toward the law/chaos spectrum sooner than the good/evil one.

Blues are more lawful than evil.

Coppers are more chaotic than good.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]