View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 30 2017, 0:50 AM 

Player

This belt is literally just a commander's belt, and that isn't intrinsically good or evil, it's a good belt, but only in it's bang for buck. Nothing even in the description or it's set of classes deigned instinctively predisposes it to being good. Can we remove that?

http://i.imgur.com/QGV7mYV.png

//It has paladin at the bottom, but that's a real outlier.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 30 2017, 1:18 AM 

Player

There's a lot of random needless alignment restrictions on items, yep. Like the set of three shortswords, +1, 1d6ish of elements, all good or neutral only, for no reason.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 30 2017, 1:53 AM 

Tester

I always figured most alignment restrictions reflected the origin of the item, rather than purposefully restricting them from from a certain alignment on an OoC level. Alignment is a much fuzzier way of restricting items for balance purposes than class, so it really is only there for flavor.

That being said, if possible, those items with alignment restriction should give a little more flavor and description so one has an idea why they're restricted to other alignments. If there isn't an interesting story or lore reason for the restriction(possibly like the belt) it should be removed, or at least a counterpart made with its own slight variation for flavor. That latter inflates the lootbins and requires more work, so we're probably looking at the former rather than the latter.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 30 2017, 3:07 AM 

Player

And over 3/4 of the server dumps UMD, making said restrictions pointless. So. Meh.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Cracked Red Eye Orb

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:39 AM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
And over 3/4 of the server dumps UMD, making said restrictions pointless. So. Meh.

That's still 1/4 of the server losing access to items for no real reason whatsoever.

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:49 AM 

Player

not a fan of the system in general.

but you can just get anything you would need UMD for w/o UMD. ether make it yourself or djinn it.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 15 2017, 5:46 AM 

Player

when your alignment marginalizes you and costs skill points that's a problem

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 15 2017, 6:03 AM 

Player

i agree. at least some classes can do workarounds.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:26 AM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
There's a lot of random needless alignment restrictions on items, yep. Like the set of three shortswords, +1, 1d6ish of elements, all good or neutral only, for no reason.

Oh there's a reason. The reason is to justify buying UMD past a score of 15 to those who did it. Honestly though? That reason isn't enough IMO since endgame there isn't really any must-have restricted items in the game. Ain't nobuddy got time for "Commander's Belts" at level 30, foo!

I've always wanted a capstone item for each race/class that epitomized the flavor or idiom of it. An item so good you couldn't UMD it even if you tried - but here, there's really little reason to go past UMD 15. There's no epic boss drops that demand you feed the UMD gods and the last build-specific piece of gear with a restriction on it mysteriously vanished in a shop purge ages ago (spellplates).

What we're left with is a bunch of middling gear with various restrictions that were put into the module with lazy descriptions.

I'm fine with the restrictions (they just need a better description to explain why they exist) and would argue that such items should be notably better than they are to justify having restrictions at all.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]