View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
lilmarcat

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 18 2019, 0:36 AM 

Player

This isn't exactly a RP request for such, or specifically for me as I'd rather the whole server be able to benefit from this and not just me. Given that and our current systems in place I figured the easiest thing to do would be to request for a Book of Transmutation page for Barkskin to be added that only changes the VFX to something that is not the current utterly hideous bark looking effect. Something that doesn't take away from the unique appearances we end up with. I'm sure pretty much every Druid (and Rangers with access to it if it works for them) wants this. :D I'll pay DC's if required for the Dev's time.

P.S We probably just want a permanent natural +5AC. But we'll totally settle for this :P

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 18 2019, 20:10 PM 

DM

This sounds like an Improving Amia thing, though.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 18 2019, 23:11 PM 

Tester

*A random thread goes bump in the night*

Zafriah

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:54 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:
This sounds like an Improving Amia thing, though.

yeah

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 19 2019, 14:28 PM 

DM

I'll move this there, actually. It's not completely the same topic as the one pointed out by DI, so I won't merge them.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 20 2019, 19:33 PM 

Player

I agree barkskin looks hideous. I do not really agree much with the options presented in the other thread since neither has anything to do with or relates to "barkskin" .

I'd prolly recommend one of these two:

419 VFX_DUR_GLOW_BROWN
420 VFX_DUR_GLOW_LIGHT_BROWN

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 20 2019, 22:23 PM 

Tester

549 VFX_DUR_AURA_GREEN was actually the first suggesstion for Barkskin in the other thread. Though brown may work, too.

My reservation with all the aura VFX's, however, is they are also overwritten by other auras, similar to how the 3 spells named already overwrite each other. If someone drinks a potion of Barkskin and activates Divine Shield/BoT Mestil's Sheath/BoT Circle vs Alignment/Various Prayer Effects, the brown or green aura would not be visible under it. They do not stack from my testing.

That was ultimately the reason Pixie Dust and the old Green Ioun Aura were suggested later. Not out of particular homage to being bark-skinny, but to avoid the problem already present in the spell VFX's becoming hidden by other effects.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 18:19 PM 

Player

I do not like an aura because why would bark SKIN be an aura. Neither would it be a floaty stone (suggestion old ioun). Nor is bark traditionally green.

The vfx I suggested there is not an aura, it is a faint, subtle brown full body glow (similar as to the misty potion glow, just not white)

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 18:27 PM 

Player

Light Brown 420

Brown 419

Mahtan

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 19:40 PM 

Player

Those would be great.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 20:37 PM 

Tester

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
I do not like an aura because why would bark SKIN be an aura. Neither would it be a floaty stone (suggestion old ioun). Nor is bark traditionally green.

Ah, I think there's a bit of confusion here. There are two types of "aura" VFX's. There's the ground auras that are the swirly dots, and there are the aura VFX's that that function the same way that the glow VFX's do, like the one you suggested.

549 VFX_DUR_AURA_GREEN is what I was talking about and it looks like this, for instance.

Again, I think either 419 VFX_DUR_GLOW_BROWN or 420 VFX_DUR_GLOW_LIGHT_BROWN could work just fine. And are better choices as brown does indeed invoke the idea of "bark" more than green. I was only pointing out that either VFX would still become invisible under certain other effects that also use the Aura/Glow line. Given that classes that cast Barkskin generally don't have access to those effects besides our Prayer function, eh. It may not be a huge issue in the end.

Last edited by Dark Immolation on Thu, Nov 21 2019, 20:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kudark

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 20:38 PM 

Player

I used to hate the current Barkskin visual, but with it on, Crow can stand up against a tree, and people walk right past him and never even see him lol

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 20:41 PM 

Tester

You could always request a Barkskin VFX widget and explain it as a variant of Ranger's Camouflage or One With The Land, if you still want to do that. :)

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 21 2019, 21:04 PM 

Player

That's why this is recommended for a Book of Transmutation. OPTIONS! :twisted:
Speaking of, any chance we could see it opened up to represent more forms of natural armor then just the spells namesake Bark skin? Kinda goes against the servers usual WYSIWYG policy but Barkskin is quite rare and for shape shifting Druids absolutely mandatory given that they're balanced for having it up and a single VFX is likely not going to work well for all shapes.

Druids have access to the four elements, nature and animal powers after all! What about a skin of ice? Stone? Spiderwebs! Plenty of possibilites :roll:

I can dream...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]