View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, May 04 2017, 1:22 AM 

Player

Really. I mean really. Digging out some old characters I have seen some of the effects of "balancing" that have been done in the last seven years. As a player who started off on Amia with only knowledge of D&D, Vanilla NWN and Pvp conventions on ohhh...20+ servers that oppose cheese builds, I made characters that relied on convention. Known Vanilla mechanics to be competitive. Like taking a pseudodragon familiar on a lvl 30 sorcerer. He's a sorcerer. Skill starved...but reliant on the class abilities. The ones that Amia broke. I love this place. I love the RP. You are forcing people to powerbuild to be relevant. It's what it is. Here we are over a month after we kind of deemed that lightning druids are too cheese, and people are still using easy elemental swarm items to level. This is kind of pisses me off. Nothing that will send me packing, and I am just voicing my opinion. Since my Druid happens to be exploiting a mechanic...how about we grandfather him in..like all the other old B.S. out there that you can't do now? Walls, persistent auras, enhanced shapes, custom spells...These things still exist...and unless I'm crazy Krin can still put words into your mouth..if he thinks you are cute. I guess I'm just saying that it's not exactly fair that folks like me don't get the cool old shit, and when we find something new, it's ripped from us. Despite all my RP being that of an elemental focused druid. Now he gets to just plain suck. You have created a convention here. It's not amazing, or innovative. You need to tumble dump to play. You need to fall into certain parameters or you just feel useless. This server is all combat mechanics and no RP. Challenge me on this if you want to, but anyone who plays table top knows that if you can't roll it, you can't do it. I already know this is pissing some of you off. The fact is the intellect, insight and charisma you possess behind the keyboard isn't reflected on your character sheet. So let's ignore that small issue. I lobbied very hard to see RDD improved, only to have to pay DC's to improve mine. I work over 60 hours a week, sometimes in other countries. I went through a divorce. My kids live 600 miles away, so I can only speak to them on the phone. I have a girlfriend. When do I have the time to earn that many Dream Coins? I lose sleep to play Amia. Why? Because I like the players here. I like the DMs here. I like the environment. I am fiercely loyal to this server, despite all my complaints, which honestly, only really effect me. I kind of feel like I am getting a halfbaked experience though. I love you guys and I'm not quitting, I'm not trying to spit venom, I just want to know what my options are? What can I do without sacrificing my actual life? Do I narrow it down to one character? Because the one I would choose needs work, to and dm attention. I don't play him often because he needs a frustrating amount of time and support. Where do I stand?

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, May 04 2017, 1:30 AM 

Player

well most of the legacy spell content was, I've heard, totally hardcoded, so it can't just be given to other people.

that is, it doesn't check your class level, or ability scores, or relevant feats, which is a huge obstacle as making that stuff available to everyone requires the thing to be totally re-written and support dynamic variables.

if there's specific custom content you want enabled for everyone, use the thread for it or make a request. but the backlog is slow due to devs focusing more on 'for everyone' stuff as opposed to 'for one person' stuff when they have so limited manhours.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, May 04 2017, 1:33 AM 

Player

also, on balancing, stuff like needing tumble was always a thing it's just that not many people did it as not many people really understood the game, creating this 'myth' about some character's strength that persists to this day.

you dont need tumble, not all my characters have a tumble dump for example, and it really only matters for pvp.

BUT 9/10 getting that tumble dump is like no effort so just snag it. very few builds don't have 30 tumble as almost every build can squeeze it in with no downsides.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Thu, May 04 2017, 2:10 AM 

Player

Commie wrote:
well most of the legacy spell content was, I've heard, totally hardcoded, so it can't just be given to other people.

that is, it doesn't check your class level, or ability scores, or relevant feats, which is a huge obstacle as making that stuff available to everyone requires the thing to be totally re-written and support dynamic variables.

if there's specific custom content you want enabled for everyone, use the thread for it or make a request. but the backlog is slow due to devs focusing more on 'for everyone' stuff as opposed to 'for one person' stuff when they have so limited manhours.

correct

Quote:
also, on balancing, stuff like needing tumble was always a thing it's just that not many people did it as not many people really understood the game, creating this 'myth' about some character's strength that persists to this day.

correct

Quote:
Despite all my RP being that of an elemental focused druid. Now he gets to just plain suck.

wrong you just don't get to do literally infinity maximized lightning storms of fire, or ice, or acid, or electric elements able to tailor to exactly what element is most useful - you'll still outputting 16d6 dmg a round or 32d6 when hasted, now it's just not permanently maximized

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, May 04 2017, 20:58 PM 

Player

We could go back and forth about the druid thing for days. I agree it's somewhat cheese, but changing it to ball lightning is fine...if you are only fighting low level trash (or giants) with no reflex save or electricity resistance. Druids aren't armed with much else at that point. So no..you aren't going to be doing much damage at all given resistance, immunities, reflex save and dispersion of the actual spell itself. Could go dragon shape. Add a single level of monk..because that makes perfect RP sense. Right? No it doesn't. Us old farts call them munchkin and twink builds for a reason. It's a careless disregard for the class and the RP thereof in favor of a mechanical advantage. I'm not angry about it. I'm more or less just angry about being fenced in to be effective. Not even really angry. Defiant? Hmm.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, May 05 2017, 9:51 AM 

Player

So, can I just request a premade spell to be made public? Last I've seen, it requires (among being balanced enough) the consent of the creator, and, if we are honest, most people don't play anymore. So how is that solved?

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sat, May 06 2017, 6:55 AM 

Player

Quote:
I agree it's somewhat cheese, but changing it to ball lightning is fine...if you are only fighting low level trash (or giants) with no reflex save or electricity resistance.

1: ball lightning would be a HIGHER dc than call lightning.

2: 21d6 elec is not trash dmg eliminated by any elemental resistance, ergo you are actually gaining 5d6 dmg on average in return for not being able to literally exploit a bug that was patched out of every other one of the class's functions and only persists in this one due to, i am forced to conclude, utter laziness and a lack of QA on the part of head devs who no longer exist on the server.

please understand that which you argue against.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, May 07 2017, 6:43 AM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
I lobbied very hard to see RDD improved, only to have to pay DC's to improve mine. I work over 60 hours a week, sometimes in other countries. I went through a divorce. My kids live 600 miles away, so I can only speak to them on the phone. I have a girlfriend. When do I have the time to earn that many Dream Coins? I lose sleep to play Amia. Why? Because I like the players here. I like the DMs here. I like the environment. I am fiercely loyal to this server, despite all my complaints, which honestly, only really effect me. I kind of feel like I am getting a halfbaked experience though. I love you guys and I'm not quitting, I'm not trying to spit venom, I just want to know what my options are? What can I do without sacrificing my actual life? Do I narrow it down to one character? Because the one I would choose needs work, to and dm attention. I don't play him often because he needs a frustrating amount of time and support. Where do I stand?

You stand with the options

1. Make a self rebuild, you have leveled other characters, so you ought to manage that again, I am sure. It also may only need a partial rebuild, depending on what you go for.

2. Leave it as it is. LVL 10 RDD got no nerfs at all. 10 RDD always was a solid build, it were the levels above that which sucked. If you want more for RP, then there is still option 1 which would be the better option anyways than a DC rebuild, seeing dedication so much more DD levels is quite a change for your character too and should not happen over night but gradually.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, May 07 2017, 6:46 AM 

Player

sub 10 RDD actually got a buff in that it gets +2 more STR pre epic.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]