View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 31 2017, 19:41 PM 

Player

I remember years ago when mounts was added. I believe back then the reason for not adding them was stability reasons. Now however, I don't know about one server that does not have mounts (I don't know about Arelith?), and I am certain there's a way to do it without making it resource heavy. Amia's lack of horses has become a joke at this point, but I am confident that there are ways to add them that aren't too resource heavy now. Therefore I would suggest adding them to the setting.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 31 2017, 21:35 PM 

Tester

There are lower poly horses available and probably at least one way to make mounted things without lagging the whole server. That is less of an issue than the mechanical implication.

The problem, and the reason I'm actually not that keen on horses getting added, is how do you make them make sense? If it's nothing but a flat HP and speed increase like in the base game, what's the incentive to not use one? Additionally, what's the sense in having them used in situations where mounted combat should obviously be more of a hindrance than a boon(indoor areas, caverns, dense underbrush)? I try not to be overzealous when it comes to maintaining physical realism in NWN, but there are somethings with how simplistic mounts are in NWN that make no sense. Like using a dagger or anything smaller than a saber on horseback.

There are already tons of other things that we should honestly have in game representations of(range/polearms, collateral damage, maneuvers) before we try to realistically tackle mounted systems. Beyond that, it's pretty hard as it is to balance between classes without accounting for one PC having additional movespeed and HP at a whim. Ultimately, if we were looking to add horses, it would have to be something largely cosmetic or it would quickly turn into a near necessity for some builds to stay relevant. Maybe that's just my lack of imagination, but it doesn't seem worth it in the long run.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 31 2017, 22:16 PM 

Player

You can basically make a widget to have your tail swapped out and pheono type changed and get a minor speed increase. Or sans a mini speed increase either way no hp added still works just as easily.

just make it a vanity thing and IMO it'd be fine.

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 31 2017, 22:40 PM 

Tester

Yeah, the phenotyper method was what I was referencing in "at least one way."

I'm reminded, I'd want to see horses get turned into glue after 20 or so HP unless they're warhorses, magical mounts, or summons. Otherwise, they're straight-off-the-farm work animals and you should rightly go flying off them if you take them out for much other than goblins and kobolds. :twisted:

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 13:34 PM 

Player

Make them only usable outdoors. Movement speed and Vanity. That's all.

EDIT: Oh. Cute ponys for small races.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 16:53 PM 

Player

The way mounts are implemented in the game means implementing them can provide a host of mechanics issues.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 20:26 PM 

Player

1. If we were to ever implent them, it would be purely cosmetic, else we'd need to rebalance the whole server.
2. Not high on the priority list
3. Not as easy as it sounds. There's a bunch of issues, screwing up the sounds etc among them. It is generally fairly buggy a thing.
4. Huge amount of work.
5. the tail use does not work very well as it only works with the actually NWN designed horses. All other default or earlier NWN animals work only in the toolset, but go completely "stiff" if you do it in game. Which means we would need new creatures, which means we would need a new hak.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 01 2017, 23:20 PM 

Player

I honestly never expected something beyond a small movement bonus from them. Didn't know they offered HP bonuses?

Oh well..

I can live without horses :cry:

...I think.

RaveN

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 27 2017, 18:15 PM 

Administrative Developer

It's not feasible at the moment, as it would unbalance the entire server for no real good reason, after we weeded through tons of mechanics obstacles.

Not sure players need another vanity thing, but I don't see why some horse models would not be allowed as a SUMMON (but I ain't a DM, so my words are whispers in the wind.)

But a mount, nope. 99.9% sure that's never going to happen.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 27 2017, 19:43 PM 

Player

I blame the insidious greedy Cart Driver's of hatching a plan and releasing a toxin in the air that kills all horses so they can continue to take adventures coin! :mrgreen: lol jk jk

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 04 2017, 14:47 PM 

Player

Why would players need anything? It's a game for fun. Obviously people like the idea of mounts. It's doable as a vanity thing just to 'look like a mount' with out mechanical anything.

This is very doable.

Aslo don't mess with sounds?

No real reason for it.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 04 2017, 21:46 PM 

Player

Tukson enjoys his monopoly on speed. It's not like being an unarmed monk offers you anything else valuable. :lol:

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 04 2017, 22:22 PM 

Player

DMed a server with horses before. It was a fustercluck. The animations are hideously ugly and make things looks even more robotronic than NWN already does. There's headaches involved with robes and cloaks and custom clothing that have to be copied over to new phenotypes for them to work, they tend to be buggy: Getting stuck on your horse, getting stuck without your horse, getting stuck in an animation mounting/dismounting, running around stuck in a static animation, your hitbox gets rediculous (you thought accidental pushes were a problem before...) the game struggles with pathing even more (and Amia has some areas with terrible walkmeshes already). It's also completely immersion breaking to have someone just summon their mount nearby World of Warcraft style.

It's just one of those things where even the best scripters will get a shitty product just from the nature of the game. You're really not missing much from the experience, I promise.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 05 2017, 4:35 AM 

Player

Mounts are still off the table for now.

However, we are currently discussing and voting to allow the horses as skinchanges at least.

No promise on the result yet!

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 05 2017, 6:14 AM 

Player

Potential future yay.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]