View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Fenguard

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 17 2017, 1:54 AM 

Player

As a devout player of an Elfling I often find myself having to explain my view on the race to other players with virtually no official backing to go off of, just my own interpretation on the race often in the realm of basic stats such as lifespan, age, height, population, ect, ect. So in an attempt to remedy this and maybe give a few people considering requesting one a nudge they may need in order to do so.
I present for peer review;
Ye Olde Fenguardian Tome of Tiny Knifers.

(For some reason it auto-formats out lines of spaces and indents so things like the age chart doesn't look as nice as I'd like it to, I've instead used brighter colors in those places for the sake of breaking the monotony of the text wall.)

Maturity | Middle-Aged | Old Venerable | Maximum Age
18 | 75 | 150 | 250 | 250+4d20
(Halflings outlive Humans by roughly 20% of their lifespan, so for Elflings I took half-elf ages and slapped roughly 20% on that rounding to a nice easy to look at number & to my understanding Elves mature quickly but age slowly there after, so I've incorporated that into the race.)

Height
Male: 2'11" +2d4
Female: 2'9" +2d4
(Though taking their height majorily after their smaller Kin Elflings stand a few inches taller than Hin due to their Elvish blood, however they could easily be discounted as just a tall Halfling, or Strongheart if of Lightfoot & Ghostwise origin. Even taller for Strongheart Elflings, and shorter by an inch for Drowlings.)

Weight
Male: 25 Lbs. +2d4 x1
Female: 20 Lbs. +2d4 x1
(Elves lend some of their lithe bodies to that of Elflings, the average Elfling being thinner as well as taller than your average Hin, though again by a nearly visually indistinguishable amount, however this does have a small impact on how far they can be thrown.)

Elflings are a curious breed of Half-elf, rather than being the more common spawn of Humans and Elves, Elflings as their name may imply are the much rarer progeny of Halflings and Elves.
While the fertility and adaptability of Humans lends to Half-Elves being a decently common sight in some places Elflings are a rare sight to behold.

A mix of extremely low birth rates between couples and the usual separation of races leads to an Elfling birth almost being a godsend in itself, couples may try for years before ever managing to foster new life between their union.

This makes Elfling births celebrated and cherished among Halfling villages though amongst Elves they have a more mixed reception. Some Elven communities find their birth just as worthy of celebration as the Elfling's shorter cousins, while others that foster the Xenophobia of some Elves see it as just another taint on an Elvish bloodline like any other Half-Elf.
Due to this, in the former's case, it can lend to an Elfling growing quite the ego over their rearing, potentially leading them to believe themselves superior by birthright over their cousins, often because of the Elvish blood as Elves as a people often believe their race to be the greatest of Mortals.

Personality wise an Elfling can drift many ways, leaning toward a love of life & community of the Hin, or the majestic aeshetical interest of Elves and anywhere in between or even toward both!
Though one thing remains no matter the Elfling's personality; The call of the road. Both their parent races are natrually imbued with a sense of wanderlust and curiosity, these traits being exacerbated in Elflings leading to virtually all of them at one point to take up the mantle of adventuring in at least some small part, tending to the same professions in the field as their parentages would;
From a skilled Rogue & agile Ranger to a mystical master of the Weave Elflings fill many gaps in that precious party makeup, many exhibiting some form of sorcerous talent much like Elves do, the blood of the Fair Folk granting them an unbreakable channel to the realms of magic.

When it comes to alignment Elflings often find themselves somewhere on the Chaotic Good end of the spectrum. Their love of life, lust for adventure, and care-free nature making many kind hearted free spirits, though as with any race there exists a good number of outliers.
An Elfling raised among a stern Elven house could easily find themselves carrying Lawful tendencies for example, or the glimmer of gold and curiosity of something taboo and unknown may lead one to embrace the darker powers of the planes to sate their interests.

Naturally this is all subject to change and suggestion at the behest of the people who run the world we play on!~

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 24 2017, 0:12 AM 

Player

This would been a haven for me and my dilemma with Budly and his odd mixed children! I think this was really needed to be expanded upon!

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]