View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Q't'ulu

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:00 AM 

Player

How about to replace unremovable traps by difficult (very (Very (VERY))) ones? (as example, ones in caraigh chieftain grave)
Also, same for locks on unpickable "locked" doors, like in jails, faction buildings and so on? Amia already has been (mostly) deserted (compared with 2..5 years ago) to continue to cling to such things. Anyway, what is "the special key" thing, if it can not be replaced with skilled lockpick and magic...? :/

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:41 AM 

Player

We just discussed this in-game, I'll forward this to the dev team and of course let us know if you find more traps that fit this description.

Regarding the permalock doors, obviously some doors are set this way for decoration, though as you mentioned doors for jails and faction buildings etc have these too and require keys.

There's a few reasons for this. If you ever want to picklock a permalocked door (which keep in mind, if you know all the players of a certain faction are offline, you especially need DM oversight for that) contact a DM an we can organise this. Jails, again, if you ever wanted to break someone out inform a DM. Mechanically all guards have stupidly high spot and listen but that's more of an OOC reasoning, as it is aimed at countering people engaging in attacking NPCs and hiding via HiPS, corner sneaking or invis spells. When a DM is involved, it's at their discretion how they would roleplay sneaking past the guards. (I've run an event before that involved a PC making a distraction occur to lure some guards away)

Though I do agree, we have some (only a few, honestly) faction exclusive areas that have next to no traffic and some that have not been touched in a very long time. I flagged this up last week but this is something I want to address properly now we have an actual faction system in place.

And to clarify, the special key is a default notice, it means that not only is the door permalocked (if you have the success is never possible message with a DC less than what you rolled) but that it /can/ be opened if the person interacting has the right object, which mind isn't always an actual key, to open the door.

Again, if you ever wanted to have a character acquire a key through malicious means, let a DM know and we can try and run something. At the end of the day, this is to protect players from players doing this to grief, which luckily as you said with current server population is become a less and less concerning issue.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Q't'ulu

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 05 2018, 6:50 AM 

Player

Imho, guards of faction may be set to hostile to any non-faction PCs (i.e. PC without faction token or so), if this allowed by NWN engine. And yes, such guard better be killable (unlike of now-present invulnerable NPC). But, as every action have to have consequences, so guard (and any other NPC) killing should not only put PC on ban-list, but give reason to 'bring him to (in)justice'. But, considering server population, this may not worth efforts of developers.

Also, decorative door may be made unselectable or return a message such as "barred from other side" or so. Or blocked by pile of fallen rocks (or logs).
With other side, door leading to special (and non-present) area may lead to sort of warped portal, which will drop PC to virtually any area of server. And may be with chance of encounter of far realm active XP&loot in transition. Of course, this may lead to instant death in case of abismal dragon nest... But, such fun is worth to jump, imho.

And, 1st of all, because I am curious (well, we all know how this trait influence on fate of a cat in the Shades of Ankh-Morpok, right?), every unaccessible place is a sort of challenge for me (both in-game and IRL). %)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]