View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Ðraco

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 23 2018, 22:08 PM 

Player

First off I'd like to say how awesome all the spell changes are, especially to schools like illusion and abjuration. But the Transmutation school was all but forgotten and treated like it was Necromancy. I know this is low priority but I've come up with a few changes to some Transmutation spells for those that focused in it.

Burning Hands: Each spell focus adds 1d4 damage totaling at 7d4 fire damage. Epic focus adds combustion effect, dealing 2d4 fire damage 1 round per 2 caster levels

Ability buffs (Bulls Strength, Cats Grace etc.): Epic focus Transmutation, cast as though empowered

Knock: Raise DC a bit, because it just sucks.

Bestow Curse: Epic Transmutation Focus, extra -1 to all abilities, -3 total

Slow: Epic Transmutation Focus, -4 Dexterity on failed save, rounds per level

Polymorph/Shapechange: Epic focus in Transmutation adds 2 attacks per round

Flesh to Stone: Reduced to 5 rounds duration, with a saveless -2 STR and -2 CON attached to it. This does not stack. Each spell focus in transmutation adds +1 round.

Mordenkainen's Sword: Epic Transmutation, Hasted

Timestop: Epic Transmutation Focus, +3 seconds totaling 12 seconds

DukeDublin

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 24 2018, 5:17 AM 

Player

Burning Hands: Each spell focus adds 1d4 damage totaling at 7d4 fire damage. Epic focus adds combustion effect, dealing 2d4 fire damage 1 round per 2 caster levels

The combustion feels more like evocation, the transmutation is the caster's hands. Maybe some manner of self buff instead of combustion?

Ability buffs (Bulls Strength, Cats Grace etc.): Epic focus Transmutation, cast as though empowered

Automatic Empowered might get weird mechanically. I'd like to see the aoe effect from the Tome of Transmutation instead while retaining a rolled for bonus (instead of +2).

Knock: Raise DC a bit, because it just sucks.

Already covered by the Tome of Transmutation but I generally agree. If you slotted this it should open locks DC31 at least (Open Lock skill 1 + d20 + 10 Tools).

This could be easily be -6 to all stats and be fine, saved based and negated by Bubbly Potions.

Not sure how it interacts with Freedom & Haste, if it doesn't already it should strip Haste through Freedom without a save, maybe reapply over the course of a few rounds. (on a failed save)

Polymorph/Shapechange: Epic focus in Transmutation adds 2 attacks per round

Not sure if the bonus attacks is possible mechanically, however if I recall right this spell already has some buffs, improved ability scores on the focus if I remember correctly.

Flesh to Stone: Reduced to 5 rounds duration, with a saveless -2 STR and -2 CON attached to it. This does not stack. Each spell focus in transmutation adds +1 round.

I'd like to see some saveless Magic damage (like how Slay Living has some guaranteed damage) to make it competitive with other 6th level spells. (see Greater Missile Storm) Let's not touch the duration.

Mordenkainen's Sword: Epic Transmutation, Hasted

Hasted, better duration and bonus stats, this spell is really bad for its spell slot from my experience.

Timestop: Epic Transmutation Focus, +3 seconds totaling 12 seconds

Duration is a can of worms, do not touch. Auto-Haste/Quicken during the duration might be the right compromise.

Fymor Trueshot

Ðraco

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:30 AM 

Player

The combustion feels more like evocation, the transmutation is the caster's hands. Maybe some manner of self buff instead of combustion?

I don't understand why it's Transmutation to begin with, are the casters hands literally turning into fire? The combustion effect would work with any spell fire based I'd think. Get something hot enough it catches fire.

This could be easily be -6 to all stats and be fine, saved based and negated by Bubbly Potions.

But it does take a remove curse to get rid of it, no lesser rest pots will remove the -6 to all stats. That seems way OP.

Not sure how it interacts with Freedom & Haste, if it doesn't already it should strip Haste through Freedom without a save, maybe reapply over the course of a few rounds. (on a failed save)

I don't think that would work with the NWN engine. The way immunities work it would be harder or impossible to script I'd think. As is Freedom makes Slow utterly useless.

I'd like to see some saveless Magic damage (like how Slay Living has some guaranteed damage) to make it competitive with other 6th level spells. (see Greater Missile Storm) Let's not touch the duration.

If it's to be competitive then there should be a reason for having a DC on this spell. Adding saveless feature is only to cater to casters that didn't invest anything in Transmutation.

DukeDublin

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 24 2018, 15:42 PM 

Player

I don't understand why it's Transmutation to begin with, are the casters hands literally turning into fire? The combustion effect would work with any spell fire based I'd think. Get something hot enough it catches fire.

PnP Burning Hands is an evocation, just another spell shoehorned into an inappropriate spell school to suit a lack of development time. :roll:

But it does take a remove curse to get rid of it, no lesser rest pots will remove the -6 to all stats. That seems way OP.

There are spells that outright kill on a failed save. There's no Death Ward potions in stores either. However I do see issues with -5 or -6 in regards to constitution and dexterity and now propose the following:

Bestow Curse - Bard/Cleric 3 Wizard/Sorc 4
Target must make a will save or all creature's ability scores are lowered by 2 and recieves a -1 penalty to all saving throws per Transmutation Focus. Even if the saving throw is successful, the target recieves a -1 penalty on attack rolls per Transmutation Focus for 3 rounds. With Epic Transmutation Focus the target must make an additional fortitude save or be struck deaf for 3 rounds. (20% Arcane Failure)

If it's to be competitive then there should be a reason for having a DC on this spell. Adding saveless feature is only to cater to casters that didn't invest anything in Transmutation.

The context of all my own suggestions are implied to occur from Transmutation Focus Feats, you'd have to invest to get the magic damage. For reference:

Slay Living - Cleric 5
The target must make a fortitude save or die. Even if the saving throw is successful, the target takes 3d6 points of negative energy damage, +1 point per caster level.

Flesh to Stone (updated) - Wizard/Sorc 6
The target must make a fortitude save or become petrified for 5 rounds. Even if the saving throw is successful, the target takes 1d6 points of magic damage per Transmutation Focus with an additional -2 STR & -2CON at Epic Focus.

Fymor Trueshot

Ðraco

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 24 2018, 19:55 PM 

Player

There are spells that outright kill on a failed save. There's no Death Ward potions in stores either. However I do see issues with -5 or -6 in regards to constitution and dexterity and now propose the following:

Bestow Curse - Bard/Cleric 3 Wizard/Sorc 4
Target must make a will save or all creature's ability scores are lowered by 2 and recieves a -1 penalty to all saving throws per Transmutation Focus. Even if the saving throw is successful, the target recieves a -1 penalty on attack rolls per Transmutation Focus for 3 rounds. With Epic Transmutation Focus the target must make an additional fortitude save or be struck deaf for 3 rounds. (20% Arcane Failure)

It is also a Will save on a level 4 spell, you can't compare an annoying curse to a Finger of Death spell. There is no Will save vs death, even Phantasmal Killer is make a Will save, if you fail THEN make a Fort save or die. Personally, I hate the saveless options on spells, that's exactly why you see everyone just doing the same thing. Maximized Isaacs and Maximized Icestorm, you could be an almost pure caster with 40 strength and still cast an isaacs or icestorm as strong as any other caster with 40 Charisma or Intelligence. That always seemed really lame to me. I still think -5 would be too much myself, you have to consider the modifiers. -5 is basically -6 and the -3 I suggested is more like -4 as they are losing 2 modifier in every ability. You wouldn't finish off a character with 41 Strength, or 41 Charisma would you. Adding another fort save option at epic focus would be neat too and make perfect sense with the curse.

Flesh to Stone (updated) - Wizard/Sorc 6
The target must make a fortitude save or become petrified for 5 rounds. Even if the saving throw is successful, the target takes 1d6 points of magic damage per Transmutation Focus with an additional -2 STR & -2CON at Epic Focus.

I see what you're saying but I don't see why it would deal any damage. It's a transmutation spell, so it simply changes something that is already there. But it's not deconstructing the person like a disintegrate spell would. The -2 Str and Con makes some sense to me as fighting off that feeling of turning to stone would likely have some debilitating effects, that couldn't feel comfortable in any sense. 3d6 magic damage for investing 2 pre-epic feats and an epic feat hardly seems like a good trade-off. It is also a fortitude save remember. Personally, I think if you let yourself have such a low fortitude that you are prone to petrification you deserve to be a statue permanently. :twisted:

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 25 2018, 8:47 AM 

Player

I just quickly looked over the discussion on my phone and i just wanna say that adding 2 Attacks per round would be crazy. i can think of a few ways to make a crazy build with that

Ðraco

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:35 AM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
I just quickly looked over the discussion on my phone and i just wanna say that adding 2 Attacks per round would be crazy. i can think of a few ways to make a crazy build with that

Yea you're probably right, but a well-placed Mords will easily undo that powerbuild. I guess I'm thinking more of your caster with 2 attacks per round, which will make Shapechange and Polymorph spells eternally useless outside of RP. I wouldn't even use them in PVE, granted that would only be to those that actually invested the feats. Maybe 1 extra attack per round for Epic focus would be a better compromise.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 26 2018, 11:20 AM 

Player

How about just a flat 3 or 4 Attacks per round while polymirphed?

Ðraco

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 26 2018, 15:44 PM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
How about just a flat 3 or 4 Attacks per round while polymirphed?

That actually sounds like a solid idea if doable, I'd like to see a similar thing for Tenser's Transformation to. Otherwise, the only way to make use of those spells is to powerbuild.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 26 2018, 22:54 PM 

Player

I had writeups for almost every single spell in every single school already completed, it's just up to the DM/Devs to balance and implement.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]