View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ] 
Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17 2018, 21:55 PM 

Player

Please remove the cart-driver's drop chance. It grows old pretty quickly, and especially on Amia island it's more annoying than anything else and doesn't add more to the rp than a long walk to your desired destination.

There are times I (out of habit) spawn in Kampo's try to take the cart Bendir, and I am dropped off on my first try. I swear one time I was even dropped twice in a row.

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17 2018, 23:25 PM 

Player

Seconded. Agree with the OP. It's an obnoxious mechanic. Can we please get rid of it?

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 0:04 AM 

Player

Or make it scale off charisma :D The lower your charisma bonus, the higher chance you have of being dropped off :P

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:26 AM 

DM

The mechanic never really made sense, honestly. xD What cart driver would be able to kick a level 30 PC off their cart? My characters sure as hell wouldn't just sit back and take that!

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:37 AM 

Player

Press R during the screen and it'll snap you back to where you were. Granted you have to talk to him and pay the 50g again, but totes worth

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:48 AM 

Player

Quote:
Press R during the screen and it'll snap you back to where you were. Granted you have to talk to him and pay the 50g again, but totes worth

This would not satisfy those of us that are totally ..or 'totes' frustrated with this mechanic.

Quote:
The mechanic never really made sense, honestly. xD What cart driver would be able to kick a level 30 PC off their cart? My characters sure as hell wouldn't just sit back and take that!

Quote:
Seconded. Agree with the OP. It's an obnoxious mechanic. Can we please get rid of it?

Quote:
Please remove the cart-driver's drop chance. It grows old pretty quickly, and especially on Amia island it's more annoying than anything else and doesn't add more to the rp than a long walk to your desired destination.

There are times I (out of habit) spawn in Kampo's try to take the cart Bendir, and I am dropped off on my first try. I swear one time I was even dropped twice in a row.

I've actually asked for this numerous times in the past, and all I've ever heard is 'it adds a good opportunity for RP!!" ...bleh.. it's a dumb mechanic. See above :)

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 4:51 AM 

Player

Put the "ambush" mechanic in place instead, that kind which is currently in Khem.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 8:19 AM 

Player

Unless the cart drivers have spring loaded seats, it really never made sense for them to throw off entire parties just because they saw a goblin.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 8:24 AM 

Player

Revak wrote:
Unless the cart drivers have spring loaded seats, it really never made sense for them to throw off entire parties just because they saw a goblin.

If you then got attacked by something then yeah, could see it but any ambush would need to scale for level of character traveling on the cart!

walnutboy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 8:28 AM 

Player

Mushidoz wrote:
Or make it scale off charisma :D The lower your charisma bonus, the higher chance you have of being dropped off :P

Actually Saya should place signs and encourage people to ICly boycott cart travel because they toss people off at the slightest hint of trouble. Lead a movement, force the carts to loose money... everyone can wear blue in support!! :twisted:

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 8:57 AM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
Put the "ambush" mechanic in place instead, that kind which is currently in Khem.

Also, on a slightly off, but still related topic, I'd like to see an "ambush" mechanic added to portal wands.

You portal from point A to point B, magic malfunctions and you end up in a pocket plane of sorts, fighting your way out.

Maybe it's just me, but I always considered ambushes as one of the best concepts in RP games.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

walnutboy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 9:14 AM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
Guardian wrote:

Also, on a slightly off, but still related topic, I'd like to see an "ambush" mechanic added to portal wands.

You portal from point A to point B, magic malfunctions and you end up in a pocket plane of sorts, fighting your way out.

Maybe it's just me, but I always considered ambushes as one of the best concepts in RP games.

So long as they are rare ish and justified. Need some rp behind the wands not working right.

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 9:53 AM 

Player

I don't know. As it is, it's really just annoying. If the was an ambush, it would be way cooler. Or just remove it. The only RP I've ever seen it add was 'oh, damn, gitta have a real talk with that cart driver' or 'I hooe rhe trolls get him'. In PnP, I can understand it. In PnP, my PC would be more likely to have the chance of talning to said cart diver, or killing him off in secrecy, reporting him to the guards, extorting money, etc.

Since that isn't the case, and the cart driver realistically doesn't have a reason to drop you off... Doesn't make sense.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 10:01 AM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
Guardian wrote:

It will have the same problem as the current drop mechanic, it would grow old really fast.

Guardian

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 10:09 AM 

Player

The problem I have with the cart drops is that it's really nothing but a nuisance because it happens in "safe zone" of the road with no spawn unless you step off the road. So all that remains when it happens is to run the rest of the way.

However, ambushes in Khem could be pretty nasty - if you are under-leveled, ill prepared... hell, you can even make a basic human error. And you cannot escape the spawn points unless you either run into transition zone (which means the spawns MAY follow you to the next area), or port away.

Simply, at least for me, ambushes (not cart drops) adds that little tingle of danger when traveling. Not to mention possible loot AND some still really neat areas (boat in the middle of the desert anyone?), and the idea of adding something like forgotten trasure loot (fire giants, minotaurs kind of thing) to these random areas is exciting.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 10:56 AM 

Player

I agree with Guardian here. If actually does something, it's nice. And a forgotten treasure or something would give you a reason to actually stay there. Admittedly, the Khem system isn't perfect either, especially going towards Nes'ek doesn't spawn mobs, or does so really late. But it means you actually can spawn things, and it does more than just make you walk more. Especially since in Khem, you don't actually need to walk hardly at all.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:24 AM 

Player

walnutboy wrote:
Mushidoz wrote:

Actually Saya should place signs and encourage people to ICly boycott cart travel because they toss people off at the slightest hint of trouble. Lead a movement, force the carts to loose money... everyone can wear blue in support!! :twisted:

Hahaha.. actually Saya would be more likely to create fake dangerous scenes so that cart drivers get scared even more often and kick more adventurers off!... But that would only work if the cart drivers kicking people off actually made sense and was ICly justifiable to begin with :D

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:26 AM 

Player

No I almost imagine Saya putting up cardboard/wood cutouts of shady figures/orcs/whatever... Just to make it seem like there's stuff waiting.

At least that's how it always feels like. The driver sees some shady stuff up ahead, and kicks everyone off... Even if the shady stuff probably is just the wind moving a shrub.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 13:12 PM 

Player

I think it's currently outdated, at least for carts.

Maybe in more in-hospital parts (Khem already has this) we can make some ambushes, but personally Amia cart routes are relatively safe.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 14:07 PM 

Player

I'll have to look at the code, but doesn't it stop doing it after you hit a certain level? I haven't been dropped off of a cart in... many years.

Fel'Brin - I am one with the shadows

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 15:09 PM 

DM

You're just lucky. It kicks my max-level PCs off all the time.

See me DM-side as:

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 16:00 PM 

Player

I've got kicked literally over a thousand times I think..

An Ambush System would be annoying as-well after it happens for the 100th, unless it can be coded to like have a 100% spawn of those 100% drop chance mob with weird names!

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

walnutboy

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 16:25 PM 

Player

Hrothmus wrote:
I'll have to look at the code, but doesn't it stop doing it after you hit a certain level? I haven't been dropped off of a cart in... many years.

Both my max level chars have been dropped before just to confirm what Jes says.

Magiros

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 16:27 PM 

Player

I've been dropped off it several times on my 30 ECL character.

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 18 2018, 18:05 PM 

Player

Huh, maybe I am just super lucky!

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 2:14 AM 

Player

I get dropped with Derrin all the time. I know I have plain bad luck with him, but I think that's beside the point.

Srsly though, when you're looking at the code for it...... 'ctrl-A, del'......

in that order :)

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 11:03 AM 

Player

Depending on how it's scripted, 'Ctrl-A, del' would probably delete all the cart drivers funtionality. :P I don't think people would like that.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 15:44 PM 

Player

Hey man, you don't have to worry about being dropped off the cart if there are no cart drivers!

Problem solved.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 17:19 PM 

Player

Press R

Jes

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 17:28 PM 

DM

The very fact that there's a loophole to get out of it makes it useless. Might as well just take it out.

See me DM-side as:

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 18:50 PM 

Player

Quote:
Press R

This is not a solution, it's a bandaid......

Quote:
The very fact that there's a loophole to get out of it makes it useless. Might as well just take it out.

This is the solution.

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 19 2018, 19:06 PM 

Player

Maybe I'm a terrible person for thinking this, but isn't pressing r literally abusing a bug? What's the RP behind pressing r there? The cart driver decides to actually take you back to wherever you started, because you brought such a convincing argument, being the big, great, almighty "R"?

Ðraco

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 21 2018, 5:05 AM 

Player

It never made sense to me, these cart-drivers have balls of steel to kick off some of the characters they do just to have them show up at their next stop pissed. A couple times I was tempted to grab a DM so I could RP sticking a sword in his gut. Throw me off . . .

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 21 2018, 14:35 PM 

Player

It's being taken out. I'm already working it. Will go live 5.19c

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24 2018, 14:33 PM 

Player

This is live. I'll leave this open for a bit longer in case anything isn't working as intended. You should no longer be dropped/ambushed off of the carts.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24 2018, 21:03 PM 

Player

Yeah the mechanic has never made sense to me. All it is is a 100% inconvenience OOCly it has -never- added a damn thing for IC benefit. Because that requires interaction with NPCs which requires DMs, et cetera.

As far as the ambushes I think it would be a horrible idea. Not only would it be an inconvenience and annoying for no Roleplay benefit. It would also be a great way to piss people off by making them loose XP/gold depending on levels and builds and other various things.

So I'd generally have to disagree with both Guardian and Robbi on that.

an Ambush that a fighter may not have an issue with could possibly screw a rogue or something and there is nothing that they could do to win, as an example.

I pretty much cast my vote on getting rid of the mechanic 100%. Honestly my personal opinion is the same with the ambush mechanic to hasrabet from Khem as well. But, that's just me.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24 2018, 21:09 PM 

Player

The way ambushes work in Khem was that if you ran forward (Towards your destination) you'd be ambushed by a spawn of monsters. If you retreated back to where you had come from, however, you were safe, but you'd have to pay the driver again (Or not at all if you passed a speech check)

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Angelis96

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 24 2018, 22:39 PM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:
The way ambushes work in Khem was that if you ran forward (Towards your destination) you'd be ambushed by a spawn of monsters. If you retreated back to where you had come from, however, you were safe, but you'd have to pay the driver again (Or not at all if you passed a speech check)

Which then you run into the same issue as the cart system now. All it serves is an OOC inconvenience.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 25 2018, 0:16 AM 

Player

If there was an actual ambush added it becomes an IC inconvenience because then we know there's an ambush and it wasn't just a poor roll of dice. If you suspect your cart is being tracked by a group of monsters, it'd be a bad idea to continue following it lest you become the target, so a good idea is to retreat back unless you can take on the orcs, and then try the next cart.

It's only an OOC inconvenience because there's no IC reason for the cart driver to drop the player off there.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]