View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
Ðraco

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 5:12 AM 

Player

I was just wondering why there's a timer on gaining XP from jobs. Currently, you have to wait 2 minutes in between job uses before you can gain XP. You can simply wait in between uses but it's just very tedious, is this really necessary? Could the timer be removed?

waswar

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 5:46 AM 

Player

It was partially implemented due to people “abusing” what were once areas with herbs close together to get experience quickly. I disagree with the change due to my distaste for monster grinding on loner characters as the only viable XP source,but it is what it is.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 5:51 AM 

Player

It is. Have you heard the term "Epic juicers?"

Anyway, here's the whole story.

Basically you could turn epic in a matter of few hours just by pressing juices and picking apples. People found out, people abused it, jobs got modified.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Ðraco

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 6:03 AM 

Player

So the Orcharder specifically was being abused then why did ALL jobs get the experience timer. I find monster grinding tedious too, especially when finding a party is that much more difficult these days.

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 6:13 AM 

Player

Well then it goes aaaaaaaall the way back to the very basic rule:

TormakSaber wrote:
Quote:
The job system was EXPLICITLY meant to replace hunting in the XP system,

Absolutely. One hundred percent. Wrong. This isnt revisionist history, this is straight from the mouth of a DM who was there when Disco made the system and added it. His opinion was that adventurers should be adventuring.

Anyway, there was this idea about job system :

Guardian wrote:
Dark Immolation wrote:
One of the old complaints of the job system was non-combative PC's having to be level 15 before they can be considered a master at their trade, even though PC's should be able to be professionals and such without being that high of a level. If this would mean people could play that master carpenter at level 7 or 8, it would definitely have my vote, and partially ease of the ubiquitous pressure felt to level a character.

Or make an option to create a non-combative PC during PC creation. This idea was around before too.

Cap their level on, let's say, 10, on which they'd receive as many job points as normal PC on level 30. (the job progress is x3 for them, ending on level 10 with max job points). Or let them go to level 30, but instead of normal classes make a "job" class for them they have to take. Level 30 warrior who grew on power via. picking apples is BS. Level 30 farmer who grew on power via. picking apples and tossing manure is great. I'd even give them a focus on pitchfork (trident) for free.

They do not grind anyway, they hate adventuring, so they really do not need to be level 30 standard class. And with this option they can brew, sow, hammer an anvil, pick apples or press juices all day long and be happy.

If there are people who shy away from combat, or find combat annoying, repetitive or unfit for their character - why not? Why not being a profi-farmer or smith?

I know I would make a master hill-billy sheep herder and poultry farmer. Like in an instant.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Ðraco

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 6:19 AM 

Player

Guardian wrote:
Well then it goes aaaaaaaall the way back to the very basic rule:

TormakSaber wrote:
Quote:
The job system was EXPLICITLY meant to replace hunting in the XP system,

Absolutely. One hundred percent. Wrong. This isnt revisionist history, this is straight from the mouth of a DM who was there when Disco made the system and added it. His opinion was that adventurers should be adventuring.

Yea well after the 10th time running through minotaurs, or fire giants I'd hardly call that an "adventure" anymore. Back in those days, there were actually enough players to form an adventuring party.

Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 8:48 AM 

Player

We are working on changing the timer back in to the old system when the cooldown was based on individual resources. The main issue is one I can’t divulge as the main difference between now and a year and a half ago is a huge exploit was found which we are trying to work around before it’s implemented.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 10:55 AM 

Player

Is it really a good idea?

I mean - job system should work as a fluff, we all agree on that and after all, even the survey shows it's mostly taken as that.

What I really, really liked was when a DM during one of the latest events (but I can't remember which one, unfortunately, but I THINK it was Elyon) asked us during a certain action about our jobs. I loved that. I mean - during a search through unknown lands, why only ask for search roll? Why not ask if there is someone with a pathfinder job?

Another thing - I've noticed you get much more xp (I think it's x2) when you create an item with higher quality, yet the quality of the item is not mandatory for anything. It's just a text - do you think we could add something little extra to items with higher quality? I mentioned the exemplary idea before - Mythal tubes. Perfect mythal tube would work flawlessly, yet lesser quality tubes could "eat" a mythal instead of storing it with a % chance directly connected to the quality of an item.

And finally - think twice about releasing the xp timer block. It works - I know people will hate me for it, or at least some, but it does work. Draco said people are already having troubles finding a party to adventure with - do not give them an alternative to adventuring, or you'll end up with even less people to go out with. But I have a faith in the team to understand this already.

Keep it what it is. A nice fluff. Instead of XPs, reward those who dedicate themselves to a job system with, for example, unique items (not unique in power, but in appearance).

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Kamina

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 11:43 AM 

Player

I will only just say we are aware that hunting should be used the primary source of the, but the old system was fine which will half the current xp rate. The main issue is an abusable exploit exists that will give people a lot of xp if we do not find a workaround before reverting, which is why we have not implemented it.

We have other solutions proposed for people with less power buildy builds to progress whilst keeping it actually requiring effort as opposed to becoming an archmage by picking apples.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 27 2018, 16:10 PM 

Player

Why not make the processing jobs (Like refiner) manual, instead of automatic? Right now you can dump 100 units of ore in the refiner and click and let it do the work for you for all 100 units. Why not instead make it so you have to open the refiners item window and hit 'process items' for each individual unit? That's how it works with armour and weapon smithing, and it's pretty tedious and prone to misclicks as I've learned.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

waswar

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 3:36 AM 

Player

To be fair, I don’t think people people become archmagi through watching summons kill things, or become masters of stealth by being wailed on by five creatures.

There really should be some way to expedite or alternate the leveling process. Grinding is less than mediocre with a full party. It’s boring as hell but possible and gruelingly slow as a Mage. And it’s impossible as a non-summoner class.

Not really much point in only allowing cliques to join the server.

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 9:25 AM 

Player

The trick about leveling is 100% about nowing where to go. Just about any build I've recently tried managed to go from Actad, Spiders, Minos, Stingers. There's one or two levels inbetween each area that makes it slightly tough, but it's possible, and easy. Honestly, the last couple levels are annoying, since it's really just a slog through the same dungeon dozens of times (literally) but it makes more sense, to me than picking grapes to thirty.

Why does giving some news that you killed a monster (ie completing a quest) give you a lot more xp than practise could? The leveling system doesn't make 100% sense, but at least combat makes you better at combat.

What I also find interesting is how everyone I ever talked to when they were new to the server was how quick the leveling went, compared to the other servers.

waswar

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 11:04 AM 

Player

I wouldn’t really say easy, there’s a number of zones where the mobs allh have axes and will destroy you with a critical, and if you’re stuck solo leveling, you’re screwed.

And sure, leveling may be comparatively quicker, but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily fun anyway, and the time investment seems rather unecessary for a role play server. I’m surprised a PoTM experience by role play system hasn’t been implemented.

But that’s a server that, in spite of the daunting grind, does present alternatives for both leveling and making money, and even though they’re slow, they’re potentially enjoyable, since you gain experience through interaction and money passively through job wages. Not to mention things such as the New Character Event base content around lower levels and gives people the opportunity to make groups to level after its conclusion.

But that’s just me, and Im the type of person that doesn’t enjoy leveling in any multiplayer content unless it’s executed particularly well.

Ðraco

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 13:14 PM 

Player

I've got more than a few 30s and they were all a pain in the ass to level. It's not the slowest leveling system but it's still tedious. When you do DM events they're obviously tailored more with 30s in mind, unless getting killed by 1 NPC and raising after every single encounter is part of your RP. People RP more when the character is 30, at least that's been my experience. Even once you are 30 then you're grinding bosses.

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 13:44 PM 

Player

My experience was that any character around 20-25-ish can participate in DM events, and the xp rewards are really, really high. Like, higher than you'd get by griding, op top of the 50 xp per mob you usually get.

Yes, you do have to be more careful, like not going in first if you're lower level, but alex helped kill a dragon, and it was a close call for the entire party, and he survived at around level 15-30-ish. The xp was incredible, and yes, he died, but it's just more towards playing tactically.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if the leveling was even shorter, but I feel like it isn't all too terrible as it is now.

waswar

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 14:19 PM 

Player

Depends on the character, obviously some vary a lot. I was able to level a Chromatic Disciple very quickly to near max, as this was when the Covenant was booming, without doing any events.

On the contrast, it took me many months to get Alethias to max level. I had to solo swathes of content, and the wraith summon is awful even compared to previous animate dead summons, so I had to backtrack and rest a lot, but I did it.

I had a Drow assassin back when the Drow were alive mainly for events, but had no new characters. It was horrendous. Obviously, I can’t take advantage of sneak and death attack as the sole person, so leveling was impossible once I out leveled the Underdark Troglodytes. I had to do about four levels with of spider silk collecting.

Drow for example, gain experience as if two class levels higher. This is fine at max level, but in mid levels, they’re two levels below what they’re getting experience for, since there’s a crippling gap away from fears and class features they need. If you’re an Underdarker, you’re basically screwed, since you won’t be in any events.

But indeed, if someone is an excellent builder, or good and thus able to enjoy an excess of partying and event partaking, leveling is a lot easier.

The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 16:19 PM 

Player

Ðraco wrote:
I've got more than a few 30s and they were all a pain in the ass to level. It's not the slowest leveling system but it's still tedious.

Actually the Amia system is one of the best I have played. Plenty of other servers make you wait a LONG time before you hit max level. You can also still lvl on Amia -very- fast if you -know- how.

On the same token you can also take years to lvl to a full 30 like my PC Drin. I have been playing Drin since 2007 and he is only level 22. If he were to go out and grind he would still have to RP all the consequences of his race by doing so. Even one dungeon if done the wrong way will send Drin into a crux so bad he probably would never come back from it. The point I am making with this is that we are an RP server, not an insta-30 action server.

Ðraco

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 17:57 PM 

Player

The Doctor wrote:
On the same token you can also take years to lvl to a full 30 like my PC Drin. I have been playing Drin since 2007 and he is only level 22. If he were to go out and grind he would still have to RP all the consequences of his race by doing so. Even one dungeon if done the wrong way will send Drin into a crux so bad he probably would never come back from it. The point I am making with this is that we are an RP server, not an insta-30 action server.

That's just your style of RP, if everyone thought and played that way then everyone wouldn't play power builds. RPing your character sheet to the letter would be enforced. Amia is an RP server but not a hardcore RP server.

The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 20:41 PM 

Player

Ðraco wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

That's just your style of RP, if everyone thought and played that way then everyone wouldn't play power builds. RPing your character sheet to the letter would be enforced. Amia is an RP server but not a hardcore RP server.

You missed the point entirely.....

Actually the Amia system is one of the best I have played. Plenty of other servers make you wait a LONG time before you hit max level. You can also still lvl on Amia -very- fast if you -know- how.

Guardian

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 28 2018, 20:51 PM 

Player

Personally, I feel exactly the other way. I'd much, much more prefer people to have to wait to reach epic levels. Ever heard the term "Epic nobody"?

Epic levels should be reserved for people who deserve to reach it via. RP - because after all, RP servers should focus primarily on RP, not on grind in general, be it monsters or job system or anything of similiar fashion.

(I proposed years ago to level cap people on 20 and from level 20 forward you could only progress via. DCs).

Take it like a champ. - Amia works in it's own way, so you have to coop with it. I had to learn it too.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]