View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 3:51 AM 

Player

Jes wrote:
Magiros wrote:
Hmm.. Good point to check whether or not it is an exploit. Can't remember if there was a ruling made on it in the past.

And honestly, if the discussion can't be made without trying to take a chance to mock one another, then I feel the discussion is entirely made.

It's not an exploit. You can be raised only on the same server you died on, so that you can't just go "WELP" and server hop for no consequence. Some people choose to take a break, rather than take the gold and XP hit.

If you die on B and hop to A, it'll block the Raise with a message that you died on the other server. So it's definitely intended.

Oh Wowzers!!! LMAO If I knew that I never would have taken a gold hit after stacking a Million coin. I'd either jump on another Toon, post on forums or do chores and run errands. Take the time out in the corner. I'll swallow my own words. I was Hella wrong. The Gold Death penelty doesn't Harm the wealthy, it hamstrings new Toons trying to climb to LvL 30. I stand corrected.

I would wager anyone rolling around with 5-10 plus million coin, the vast majority would never take that gold hit. Let alone a big Baller with mad crazy coin.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 5:03 AM 

Player

Then it is still a time penalty. Point is, death without penalty will make any encounter completely irrelevant since you can't lose.

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 9:16 AM 

Player

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
if we're arguing what makes sense IC then I should be able to just mug people for all the money they have on them

Wont fix the economy either but apparently that doesnt matter.

Maybe thats another reason to use the bank? ;) Either way, that is much harder to do mechanically. Also, the economy on Amia won't be fixed as it is now. It will take enormous amount of tweaking I believe.

freaxxshow1338 wrote:
Then it is still a time penalty. Point is, death without penalty will make any encounter completely irrelevant since you can't lose.

Death as it is, is trivial on Amia. That will also need to be server changing if you want it to hurt. You could go for losing lvls on being raised but that just make people wait for reset or one of many clerics. I do not think Amia has time or need to make death more punishing. It is what it is, Amia is pretty high magic. Even icly a lot of characters do not care much about death I noticed, since it is so easy to get back.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:55 AM 

Player

The server "economy" is based entirely around the fact that in two places the named lvl 4 loot bin items are sold in three places, for 15-20k on average and 30k in the abyss shop. Epic items, if even sold for gold routinely sell for millions, which is a vast mark-up of what said shops would ask of you, if you flipped them there. However, as already stated, they are usually bartered. Now. are the prices ludicrous. No. Not at all. These are high magic items that are viewed in "meh" way because of how the entire server sentiment routinely marginalizes the fantastic. So. There is nothing wrong with economy. If you want the basic +4 items to be the routine drop, and named items to be more rare, that will "fix" the economy, but will also make leveling more laborious. Many characters who are routine potion chuggers and trinket poppers would suffer under such a change. Coin, in bulk is largely useless, as most would agree, unless you have specific often RP oriented plans for it. When you are leveling you take an exp hit. This isn't the case when you are maxed, as it doesn't de-level you. So really after you hit 30, the real teeth behind the penalty is gone. Most characters don't care about having a ton of coin. For those of us who do, because "we like to look at large numbers" have RP reasons for doing so and is no less absurd than someone who beats around on wind powered ship made out of wood in a setting where the landscape is littered with people who cast fireball and dragons roam the skies. The only legitimate argument made is that it incentivises rapid respawning, something that can be fixed, by not giving you the option of returning to the point you were killed. If anyone can explain how the economy, on a server with fixed buy/sell variables is going to be effected by the few people who actually grind for coin, I'm all ears.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:44 PM 

Player

Oh.. Just for fun:
Typical gold coin weighs 1 Troy ounce
Typical gold bar weighs 400 Troy ounces, or 27lbs
So low balling the amount Royce has on him at current, which is around 4 million it stands that the weight equivalent would be 10,000 bars or 270,000 lbs of gold.
Banks make sense.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 13:59 PM 

Player

*The following post is based on my experience on Amia over the last nine years. It is not geared towards any specific one person and does not apply to everyone*

A acorn falls from a tree landing upon someone's head head. "The sky is falling!" The sky is falling!"
I think some people see it this way when it comes to Amia's economy. They precieve it as this massive broken thing. I personally think the economy is good where it's at. An economy is like a pyramid. You have your few elite wealthy at the pinnicle, and it trickles all the way down to the base with the poor huddled masses. Pretty much what Amia is now. And whats great about Amia, if you dedicate yourself and work hard at it you can get to the top. As I have said my Toon Milly is two years old, really only been played for a years time and she is already a few lvls below the pinnicle. There's no excuse why anybody else can not do the same. If you choose not to and gold hoarding isn't your thing or style of gameing, thats cool. To each there own. I don't judge folks for what floats there boat.

But I do think for those who do like to hoard gold and epics, they get a lot of hate IC and OOC. Over the years I have had folks snub there nose at me high in the air, brag they toss around epics and give it out like free candy or even sell it on the super cheap. And they have this air around them like they are better than me. That I'm just a greedy ass bitch and they have a distaste for me. Well, I play a Merchant and i think i'm doing a pretty darned good job at it. I'm not one of those players who just hoards epics and they will never see the light of day. I buy, sell, and trade. It may be costly but at least there is gear out there that you can get your hands on and it provides a needed service to those who don't boss hunt, have poor combat builds or are just in need of a certian Item.

And when it comes Auctions, or needing millions of coin to buy an epic some look at gold hoarders like were the problem. But when your making a new Toon, it should be hard to get your Toon decked out in Epic gear. It should take months even years to be fully stacked with the Epic gear needed. If it's easy they lose there value in more than one way. And when it comes to auctions, just like in real life, the rich can only afford the most sought after wares. I really don't see what the big fuss is about Amia's Economy. I think it's just where it needs to be.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 14:55 PM 

Player

Nobody cares how rich you are, Imp. Its not about some people being rich and some not being rich, its about everyone having tens of millions lying around without even trying, and them not being special.

If the economy wasnt fucked, imagine how much cooler You two would be. If not every single person had tens of millions on them.

Also, stop feeling personally attacked ffs, I am arguing for the health of the server, not for myself. I couldn't give any less fucks how much gold you guys have.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 15:05 PM 

Player

Honestly, gold is pretty much useless in Amian economy right now beyond donation chests and the occasional Gauntlet/Abyss run to stock up on scrolls and other necessities. You'll find the higher tier epic peddlers often just refuse gold now and embrace a bartering system for other epics for the most part and this is coming from someone who was part of the merchant/epic runner caste a few years ago. I just pin down the lack of banking and the lack of worth for gold to Amian inflation and the how dire straits Cordor, once the jewel of the Trackless, has found itself in and now is nothing more than a glorified slum.

As for the banking system itself? I've 180'd on my original posting in this thread and will chime in with a "Nah". Gold needs to serve some purpose. We have faction areas, faction themselves and the rare auction to use our gold on. A stretch would be to have some form of investment opportunities which generate interest or opens up access to new resources in cities/new settlements/trade caravans off-screen. Scripting would be the limitation however!

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 18:04 PM 

Player

And how exactly are you going to make gold worth something? You will outright murder players like me who barely have a million gold on any character.

I believe that NWN in the end is to blame, gold tend to become worth nothing on a lot of servers. I saw it on the end of POTM to how the market flooded with magical items kinda screwed up the economy. If one could make a much more complicated system in NWN with all the currencies available, weight and such on it, It be more logical to pay 1 silver for a nice glass of beer than 10 gold for a bottle. Or a innroom not costing 5000 a night.

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 19:04 PM 

Player

You could have a bank that for every X amount of coins you put in, they only will save Y amount of coin for you. A cost for banking, retrieving, storing and protecting your gold. That would cut down the amount of gold that is out there on PC's and help manage the influx of gold on the server in the future. If folks would be willing to use there services that is. Just a thought.

Examples:
Deposit 10 Gold Coins=1 Gold Coin Saved
Deposit 100 Gold Coins=1 Gold Coin Saved
Deposit 1000 Gold Coins=1 Gold Coin Saved

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 19:40 PM 

Player

And as freaxxshow1338 mentioned robbing folks in another post, if there were more Highwayman and there was a threat of losing all your gold in a PvP ambush, it might sway folks to using said mentioned banks services. There could be rules in place that they can only try and rob a PC once a month or attempt a robbery once a month or something to that accord. And in turn you could hire PC Bounty hunters to track the thieves down. That would spice things up a bit.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 20:01 PM 

Player

Impknightofireland wrote:
And as freaxxshow1338 mentioned robbing folks in another post, if there were more Highwayman and there was a threat of losing all your gold in a PvP ambush, it might sway folks to using said mentioned banks services. There could be rules in place that they can only try and rob a PC once a month or attempt a robbery once a month or something to that accord. And in turn you could hire PC Bounty hunters to track the thieves down. That would spice things up a bit.

That'd lead to people powerbuilding like hell. Straight up, all RP out the window. And not to mention all of the OOC Drama.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 20:05 PM 

Player

Off the rails we go. Nevermind. I'll just stand down. People don't want (Generally speaking) PvP here. It breaks the immersion for those who like to play an invincible badass, but have no means to back it up. So. To force something on them would be about a good as an idea as Richard Pryor going to a Merle Haggard concert.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 20:29 PM 

Player

thunderbrush wrote:
Off the rails we go. Nevermind. I'll just stand down. People don't want (Generally speaking) PvP here. It breaks the immersion for those who like to play an invincible badass, but have no means to back it up. So. To force something on them would be about a good as an idea as Richard Pryor going to a Merle Haggard concert.

Basically. Problem is that people also go oberboard with distegarding RP for Powerbuilds.

As in playing Chultan for the +2 Dex and not RPing a Chultan Descend. Just as an example out of thin air

So neither side is perfect is what I'm saying.

(Tho i wholeheartedly agree with2 you.)

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 20:52 PM 

Player

There can be rules implemented to make sure it doesn't turn into a shit show. There can be a x amount of Highwayman who are allowed to be active. If one falls off there can be a waiting list for those who wish to be one. You can make it that you can only rob someone with DM supervision. You can make a rule you can only do it once or a few times a month so it doesn't get out of hand. And any other rules Dm's can think of to regulate it. And as far as power building goes, that's been on the steady rise since I got here. I don't see that changing.

But regardless, it is becoming blatantly obvious no matter what I say your going to shit and piss all over it.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 21:03 PM 

Player

Impknightofireland wrote:
There can be rules implemented to make sure it doesn't turn into a shit show. There can be a x amount of Highwayman who are allowed to be active. If one falls off there can be a waiting list for those who wish to be one. You can make it that you can only rob someone with DM supervision. You can make a rule you can only do it once or a few times a month so it doesn't get out of hand. And any other rules Dm's can think of to regulate it. And as far as power building goes, that's been on the steady rise since I got here. I don't see that changing.

But regardless, it is becoming blatantly obvious no matter what I say your going to shit and piss all over it.

I am not, I am arguing against you in a civil manner.

More rules means less intuitive and more pressure on DMs, and if we implement the Assassination rules people will magically know they'll be mugged and happen to suddenly buff up completely or go GS and fuck off.

Im all for more PvP and people being forced to back up their tough talk - Peggy has kicked ass and has had her ass kicked and shes doing fine for example - but Im not sure if that's the way to go.

Also it wont help the economy at all. And also we have to think of the newbs - Getting mugged by a level 30 powerbuild on cocaine isnt really fair, especially since you actually need the gold in the beginning.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 09 2019, 22:27 PM 

Player

This thread has served its course. This is a low priority that can be solved by not hoarding or RPing with other players to help inventory space so we won’t be expanding the banking system for the foreseeable future. Concerns about gold worth has been heard and we’re discussing it behind the scenes with methodology.

ImpKnight, my suggestion with your Merchant RP is simply to expand in allies and spread your inventory among them.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2