View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 19 2018, 14:13 PM 

Player

Hi! I was thinking about Blackguard and some of the changes made to it are pretty great. One thing I was thinking about was their 1/day divine favor ability. This is something that could be improved upon since most good blackguard builds don't really keep competative attack bonus if they want to have a significant bonus from their divine feats.

Increasing the number of uses per day as the blackguard levels up would be pretty cool, and I think scaling it with epic class investment would be a great idea. Something like +1 uses per 3 epic blackguard levels with an extra use per day at level 20 for full investment.

So they would have something like this:
1-12: 1 user per day
13-15: 2 uses per day
16-18: 3 uses per day
19: 4 uses per day
20: 5 uses per day

Unfortunately blackguards will never be able to reach caster level 21 to take full advantage of this but as an additional class feature it also allows players to make the choice between rogue levels and epic specialization or more uses of the ability per rest. I think this allows for some interesting diversity of choices when choosing your level spread while also more or less allowing blackguards to still be viable and strong at their peak where most stop at level 16. I think the +4 bonus is a pretty substantial boost that when active allows them to be pretty competitive in the range of other class choices, but has a serious lack of uses since it only lasts one turn and provokes attacks of opportunity to use. More uses would make it far more useful and definitely give a bigger kick to those epic levels.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Ðraco

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 19 2018, 15:25 PM 

Player

Not to mention other divine classes can actually cast the spell as Extended.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 20 2018, 11:22 AM 

Player

As is, blackguard is fairly strong though so I don't think giving it another once-over would be high on the priority list, as there are several other classes who deserve a looksie well before the BG.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 20 2018, 18:13 PM 

Player

Giving them some more uses of divine favor can't be that big of a change? And as far as I could tell after playing mine through some events, it would be a really nice addition. I enjoy playing BG's overall, but the low ab without divine favour is a considerable drawback.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 20 2018, 18:26 PM 

Player

What would you consider low AB? The usual blackguard BAB for the devcrit build with just maxed strength and a +5 weapon is 47 already, 46 for the one without. Personally at least I consider that very decent for most applications.

Then there's the fact that with some of the usual buff items that easily gets you to 50's, which is pretty good. And if you go for the blackguard spells, you have an insane amount of gearing freedom, given the fact that you get (up to) +7 stacking strength, as well as +2 con, +2 dex(both stacking with endurance and cats respectively), +5 natural AC without an amulet and an eagles spell that stacks with regular eagles and aura of glory which you can get on an amulet.

And of course, one of the most powerful summons in the game. Maybe BG could use some tweaking, but I am not sure I want to give them all that much more, particularly something as strong ad divine favor.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 20 2018, 21:47 PM 

Player

...I didn't consider the dev crit build, but my own BG who has 22 strength. With strength at +12 he has 44 ab.

Maybe it's because of the change in difficulty between normal PvE and events, but in the events I brought him on I struggled with hitting things without divine favour. I imagine his build is decent for the normal PvE mobs.

thetangerinetornado

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 20 2018, 23:07 PM 

Player

Agree with Tarnus on this one. AB hasn't been my problem though it depends on your other classes, subrace, and whether you go for the spells.

Since you mentioned it has one of the best summons in the game I cannot resist.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90022

It has one once you get to late epic. Before that you are scraping and clawing for XP if you cannot locate a party because your fiend has been killed by the first mob and you are on your own. You have a BG Fiend thats the same as Planar Ally until you are 25th level minimum. A summons that Clerics get at 11th level. Oh and they are capable of buffing them, (not you). Then they get 6 summons upgrades before you get your first. Not an end game problem I know, just one that drags you down on the grinding road to get there.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 21 2018, 4:27 AM 

Player

What about something starting at levels 16 and beyond?

Say one extra use at level 16, another at 19 and another at 20?

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]