View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18 2019, 4:26 AM 

Player

Hello Amia,

So for EE I think we should scale back on the necessity of super large scale development every time a settlement gets changes. It will save the DMs time and allow us to get more interesting and creative if a lot of it left mechanically in the players hands.

So what am I suggesting? Good question.

I think most major settlements would greatly benefit from a sort of widget granted to members of its faction that allow them to set placables like the housing system. This would allow the staff to create skeleton settlements while allowing players to spice it up. If these placables could be made to include things like alters and all sorts of other unique placables then it would have a lot to offer.

It is a VERY ambitious project to suggest, making the faction system viable for major and minor settlements as opposed to the random pvp areas we have now, but I think it would be an incredibly worthwhile project to allow that will encourage player creativity and allow for Sms to create less finished detailed areas when building and focus on more of a skeleton. Then it will tske a lot of the WORK of area design and module changes off their shoulders and allow for other niche or more distant projects.

It's ambitious and possibly not feasible, but its a dream.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:29 AM 

Player

So sort of like an expansion of the thing Mav made for factions? I'd be cool with something like that, sure, assuming the Devs are.
And I can tell you out of personal experience from when I helped Disco with busywork for the original housing system, things like this take an insane amount of time. Not just because of all the scripting involved, but because you have to fetch reference numbers for a ton of PLCs and then have them added, it's boring work and it's insanely timeconsuming work. The reason both don't have as many PLC's as some would like isn't because of script limitations (as far as I understand it) but because of the insane amount of time it takes to add more in bulk and time is something the Devs don't have nearly enough of so they have to prioritize. Resref's names, make them undestructible, add the appropriate script hooks and take screenshots of all of them so you know the difference between chair 1 and chair 2.

I mean one idea could be to do what Disco did and enlist the help of a trusted player or two to get it done. Kinda similar to the old tester role. I'd be completely fine with that personally because it helps out the server, it helps out the devs and you don't get entrusted with anything critical or confidential or whatever that'd potentially muddle up the roles since the work would be doublechecked.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18 2019, 6:50 AM 

Player

I usually play at absolutely brainless hours with no activity so I honestly wouldn't mind helping the effort if it becomes a thing and only requires basic knowledge of PLC references that are really easy to fetch. Mind numbingly boring is easy for me. Actual hard scripting is not.

To be honest my stupid job hours keep me from contributing to amia as meaningfully as I'd like.

But getting resrefs are pretty easy. I used to do it for creatures and custom items on another server so it can't be thst much more complicated for plcs thst already exist. Script hooks are harder but I could always contribute to the best if what my capabilities allow and then go from there.

This would be a great way to make settlements feel more player involved in EEmia while cutting down on dev team work. Could even make them destructible so that if someone does attack you have to replace what breaks.

DC taxation is theft!

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:01 AM 

Player

I'll say this though: There is a vast difference in time taken between decorating a house and building a town. So this would have to be limited to decorative stuff rather than adding additional housing and such (They aren't PLCs anyway so it needs to be done by modifying the area itself). To expand on a town in that way would take time and resources to do and shouldn't be something players can just get done overnight. You'd need to support the additional population numbers with better infrastructure, agriculture and an economy that's sustainable. But for spicing up and personalizing it, I see no issue with it (again assuming the time and resources allow for it), assuming it's limited to players in power within the settlement that have the actual authority to do so! This idea could also be applied to faction areas that currently aren't covered by the faction area system by expanding on it and adding in more PLC options.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:42 AM 

Player

Oh totally, the PLCs would be limited to a preset area that is already part of the faction area ideally.

DC taxation is theft!

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:16 PM 

Developer

Another suggestion I'd have for settlements, if this is going to be implemented,

For the smaller settlements, it would be cool if PCs could fight over their control somehow. Either with a voting system of some sort or a mechanical combat contest which can grant exclusive settlement powers to the victors or something of the like. It would allow for more activity when there aren't DM plots going on.

Naturally I'd leave this to the smaller settlements, since the larger ones would have NPC governments, but still, it's something that I think would help.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]