View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 0:15 AM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

I had a player (Cagus) send me a tell asking how to get a drow party together. I wasn't able to respond (thanks to the triple spawn I was in the middle of...and survived, whew) before they logged off. So I though I'd put my answer here and open it up for input from the UD community.

1. Know that a Drows 2 level penalty sucks and if you think you can level like your surfacer character you will be frustrated and disappointed.

-- I've been hunting solo with Rith'tar and basically it was rats and bats until the xp was 1 then onto another area. There are still areas that say my level should be able to hunt there yet I don't feel comfortable. It's slow going but that's who my character is.

2. Decide where your character fits in Drow society. According to the wiki the #1 rule is don't get caught.

Take my Rith'tar as an example. He's a traditional noble male who has a healthy fear of Lolth and subsequently all the Lolthite priestesses. He's not about to take the chance at getting caught/ seen with humans, elves or any other surface race unless they are his slaves or ordered to by a priestess. So, even though the xp in the spiders is great, Rith'tar would never go there hunting.

Now if your character is a risk taker then go for it.

3. Post IC in the UD forum. There are a lot of other UD races besides Drow that the current city leaders may approve of I'm guessing. And would be the Nec'perya city leaders that would get the report of a drow being seen acting suspiciously.

Hope this helps you Cagus. :)

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 1:02 AM 

Player

A lot of the issue with a drow party is the smaller number of people that play drow, sadly.

Also, I believe it's normally rats/bats (Illuminated Caverns is the map). The main areas below ECL 10 are the Raiders, the undead crypts, rebel drow, and svirn. When you get closer to 10 it's like deurgar and then ogres. Or something. It's confusing still to me, heh.

I have an ECL 15 or something female wizard and an ECL 12 male fighter/WM currently, just haven't been on much cause of the holidays and other stuff.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

cagus

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:16 AM 

Player

Hi guys,
My question in fact was, if there is any habit, how to get drow/underdwellers party together.

Broader explanation (skip it, I'll just spout here) :
I am new player at this world. I have experiences from my home server (in my mother language), but here I can get easily confused. Be in party with surfacer is not illegal. Guards in the surface cities don't kill you at sight and so.
Because I am new, I don't know other players of underdark (except maze) and habits. Forum is too... copious.
Even thought I was with surfacers in party today (2x necromants) I prefer to avoid that and I will. I can party with my slaves (every jalil should have some :) ), if they are not in game I cannot do much.

So my question reinstated is:
Is there any habit to team up underdark dwellers for raids/hunts not only in underdark, but at surface also.
Was expecting something like "there is a place where they meets in spare time to team up" or something like that.

I will not party with any surfacers anymore, but hunt with fellow underdarkers in the woods of surface seems ok with me.

Your opinions?

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:47 AM 

Player

Its perfectly fine to party with surface characters if your character would have reason to which could be anything from just using the "lesser" races as a living shield while you go out "exploring" or whatever or forming small alliances with other evil doers.

Alternatively if you really don't think your character would interact with non UD characters like that then you can always just check if there are any UD players online that aren't busy, lots of players often have a few alts just sitting around that they can probably bring out to help you level (depending on your current level).

Basically if you want to find a party but can't it comes down to finding IC reasons to party with those available or asking people OOC if they are available or both.

Gremin

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 6:45 AM 

Player

This time of year can be hard on ones patience if they seek company. Even more so with our UD enviroment. I would suggest a OOC post introducing yourself to the server if you have not, and talk about your playtimes and play area you desire. Some in game RP and out of game RP via a post would help also.

Galenson

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 10:53 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

It really depends on personal preference at the end of the day. The Scholar parties with anyone and everyone provided those he parties with serve to assist him knowingly or otherwise in achieving his goals. Most Drow tend to think along the same lines in this regard.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Duskryn

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 15:42 PM 

Player

Okay folks in regards to hunting with surfacers as a drow: RULE NUMBER ONE: Don't get caught or seen doing it.

That rule is the number one rule when playing Drow no matter what your doing.

"And he is your Lord Husband. If there is a difference, please explain it to me...."

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 15:45 PM 

Player

What? No. Thats not how it is?

Duskryn

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 15:48 PM 

Player

Very_Svensk wrote:

It is exactly how it is, Lolth encourages besides doing her bidden, to do whatever most cunning, vicious, and so on things to get ahead of your rivals. She doesn't care how it is done, as long at the end of the day she is heard and pleased.

"And he is your Lord Husband. If there is a difference, please explain it to me...."

Pulawski

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 16:35 PM 

Player

Personally, i wouldn't care if you hunted with surfacers. Using them to get more powerfull yourself. Throw in some betrayel at the end when you steal all the loot, and profit ^^

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 17:43 PM 

Player

Duskryn wrote:
Very_Svensk wrote:

It is exactly how it is, Lolth encourages besides doing her bidden, to do whatever most cunning, vicious, and so on things to get ahead of your rivals. She doesn't care how it is done, as long at the end of the day she is heard and pleased.

It is and it isn't. It's complicated.

Consider the entire drow psyche when you think about hunting on the Surface and/or with surfacers. If you are using them as tools for your own agenda, which will further Lolth's power (since as you get stronger you can do more for Her) then it's not as big of a deal. That's not to say you should hang out with surfacers 24/7 just to level, it's a balancing act to keep yourself from heresy as well.

One priestess (or any other drow) might dislike you doing that while another doesn't care. It all depends on the person. Zrae spent all her time leveling on the Surface, using them like pawns and delighting in the fact that she was blatantly flaunting her superiority and heritage in their faces without contest. She also used the time to scout and probe defenses and settlement places, finding where the drow can and cannot go freely. She learned a lot, and it's going to be valuable from an IC perspective.

So yeah, balancing act and always watch your back XD

Duskryn

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 18:57 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Duskryn wrote:
Very_Svensk wrote:

It is and it isn't. It's complicated.

Consider the entire drow psyche when you think about hunting on the Surface and/or with surfacers. If you are using them as tools for your own agenda, which will further Lolth's power (since as you get stronger you can do more for Her) then it's not as big of a deal. That's not to say you should hang out with surfacers 24/7 just to level, it's a balancing act to keep yourself from heresy as well.

One priestess (or any other drow) might dislike you doing that while another doesn't care. It all depends on the person. Zrae spent all her time leveling on the Surface, using them like pawns and delighting in the fact that she was blatantly flaunting her superiority and heritage in their faces without contest. She also used the time to scout and probe defenses and settlement places, finding where the drow can and cannot go freely. She learned a lot, and it's going to be valuable from an IC perspective.

So yeah, balancing act and always watch your back XD

Well Nav one thing to remember, yes that is very true with the majority of Drow because of Lolth's faith is the main religion of the Drow, however she does encourage that sort of chaos, it still goes back to get ahead by any crafty and smart means. Lolth also practices using enemies (with the exception of damn faerie elves, they should be shot and killed for all she cares). It is the balancing act of doing stuff to not get caught and furthering Lolth's aims.

Also keep in mind Lolth is not the only Drow diety out there, some other dieties like Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, Kiaransalee, and Ghaunadar for sure could care less (except in Vhaeraun's case, he mainly has something against dwarves and Orcs).

For any Drow looking to figure out what guidelines to follow when playing a Drow I recommend, War of the Spider Queen, Exile and Homeland of the Dark Elf Trilogy, Siege of Night, Starless Night, The Legacy, Daughter of the Drow, Drow of the Underdark, and Tangled Webs.

Now when reading Drizzt books, do what I tend to do from time to time when rechecking lore and focus mainly on the UD non good drow stuff and activities more.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 19:03 PM 

Player

As a long time, long term player of drow I recommend the following.

1) Don't bother reading books.
2) Be a sadistic, vile arsehole. (IC)

Man, this account is over 10 years old. Where do I get my old man beard?

Shroud

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 01 2014, 23:45 PM 

Player

Bad advise, on first count. As all drow PCs are considered of noble birth without a special DM request dictating otherwise, every one should have at least a working knowledge of the drow society, basic decorum, et cetera. Whether your PC chooses to ignore these things to produce conflict roleplay, however, is entirely up to you!

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:34 AM 

Player

I kinda agree with numbers (55544333) on both counts but with this addendum: Books 'Help' But can also confuse. Both i and another player have had This discussion.
Learning as we go along is generally The advice - Because amia drow are different.

The " Old " playerbase read the books by the letter and...MAJOR conflicts ensured over interpretations. Im glad we have steered away from the source-Books. though mind This is not me thwarting all attempts to play corebook drow; Just explaining why and What and lecturing boring history

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:50 AM 

Player

Major conflicts occurred because a number of players had disagreeing opinions on a lot of things regardless of lore (And even more on how THEY wanted stuff) and let it get out of hand OOC and then let it effect things IC.

There is never really any reason to NOT read more drow lore or lore in general (Unless you really just can't stand the writing I guess), choosing what degree you conform to lore (and which part of lore) is up to you really, but its generally far better to have information and not use it then to be willfully ignorant.

The "learn as you go" thing is good (and basically impossible to avoid anyway) but it also can lead to the situation where someone will basically make up something (willfully or not) and then people repeat it and others take it as true, and some shit that gets put out there as fact or lore really need to be called out when it is, and knowing both cannon lore and amian lore both helps that greatly.

Duskryn

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:53 AM 

Player

The Great Equalizer wrote:
Major conflicts occurred because a number of players had disagreeing opinions on a lot of things regardless of lore (And even more on how THEY wanted stuff) and let it get out of hand OOC and then let it effect things IC.

There is never really any reason to NOT read more drow lore or lore in general (Unless you really just can't stand the writing I guess), choosing what degree you conform to lore (and which part of lore) is up to you really, but its generally far better to have information and not use it then to be willfully ignorant.

The "learn as you go" thing is good (and basically impossible to avoid anyway) but it also can lead to the situation where someone will basically make up something (willfully or not) and then people repeat it and others take it as true, and some shit that gets put out there as fact or lore really need to be called out when it is, and knowing both cannon lore and amian lore both helps that greatly.

I agree here

Galenson

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 10:23 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

At the end of the day, whatever works.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 02 2014, 15:41 PM 

Player

Honestly the only thing I think people ]need to know at first is the basics:

Generally, everyone respects their betters to some extent. All males should respect females, all females should respect priestesses, and all priestesses respect the head priestess. There's the house divisions of that, too, but that's the jist of it. If you're talking back to a priestess, your gonna get your ass handed to you most likely in some way/shape/form. Same if a male does it to another male, or different combinations of it. I mean if you're in a Lolthite society, that's generally how it goes. That and everybody praise Lolth.

I think that covers the basics and is easiest for people to grasp at first. Keep your nose clean and things will be kosher. Maybe.

Gremin

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 04 2014, 1:10 AM 

Player

//One of the major reasons I play here and in the UD is we make our fate. I have read all the books and references really. I would prefer as a server base we as players choose our own way, not rely on some book for what we decide to do. There is nothing wrong with using the books and references to get ideas but that is the extent I would prefer to see.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]