View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
angst360

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 09 2015, 16:19 PM 

Player

The Great Equalizer wrote:
As for your suggestion angst, while Vhaeraunite, Ghaunadaurite, Kiaransaleeans etc. societies are all interesting and should be explored Lolthite Societies Objectively are the Predominant ones for Drow in FR, The changes required to "Disenfranchise" Lolthite Drow would need to be fairly massive in scale and hard to justify in setting.

Not really, you just remove the controlling house in L'Obsul that no one ever interacts with... and replace it with something else. A revolution!

Then, you remove much of the splendor of Nec'perya and turn it into a place struggling to survive. A shell of former glory, the remains of some tragedy, or something similar. Job done, No one's character is changed... but their Circumstances are altered. Then it is up to them to rise up to return to greatness or succumb to the will of the gods...

Last edited by angst360 on Mon, Nov 09 2015, 16:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

angst360

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 09 2015, 16:34 PM 

Player

Faded Wings wrote:
I just want to clarify that my assumption that the underdark was difficult to escape is a thematic consistency that you can take from any Forgotten Realms lore (Drow of the Underdark, is a good example), but Amia is special in that it has high magic, high travel high-everything, and while escaping the underdark might be a joke on amia itself, it doesn't mean I have to like it..

Quote:
As it is, I am finding your qualifications to continue on as a drow to be suspect... :)

Heh, I'm not familiar with any lore beyond 3.5e, but even if one drow has a ring that portals him places, it doesn't set the precedent that everyone should act like its commonplace. Otherwise the entire society would collapse on itself.

Yeah, the mechanics, the fact we cant be in character 24 hours a day, etc...

I will say that these days its either go to the surface for adventure or live the life of a hermit. The surface promises interesting encounters with racism and unforeseen opportunities for interesting rp. Although, the UD has its moments. Like that moment when you are in the bazaar and a strange drow appears and everyone becomes stiff and hopes to avoid attention, because they aren't in the mood to fight to the death... only to find yourself, a short time later, killing illithids with a new acquaintance. Otherwise, interaction can be scarce down there.

I like to go to the surface because it makes me feel more like a drow... the reactions, racism, and violence. Its the next best thing to killing everything in magical darkness. Yeah, it isn't 'realistic' but, on this video game sometimes its all I got. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

RaveN

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 09 2015, 16:39 PM 

Administrative Developer

The problem is that the controlling house isn't actually a controlling house. L'Obsul is basically omni-religion because the council (which consists of Duergar, Svirfneblins, Drow, Ogrillions) runs it. No religion currently sways L'Obsul excessively, which is largely why Nec'peryans don't go there often.

Quote:
Then, you remove much of the splendor of Nec'perya and turn it into a place struggling to survive.

Nec'perya has been struggling to survive since it was first discovered. It has anywhere up to 4 aboleths trying to destroy it.. The last major event was of a white skum leading an invasion where hundreds of thousands of skum attacked the city full scale and the drow forces barely held. While I don't see a problem with adversity, I just want to say that to get where things are now, it was not smooth sailing.

Like I said in the previous post, I wouldn't mind if the regime changed entirely, I just am concerned that the people who would take over, would dispossess the Llothites (by default) of things that they've spent millions of gold, countless hours, of all their faction areas and what not, and for what really? That's not going to make anyone want to play more, it would have to be carefully and tastefully done, if you want to keep everyone interested.

Quote:
I will say that these days its either go to the surface for adventure or live the life of a hermit.

This is why it's healthy to have alts. That way you don't need to compromise your story to experience good RP.

Last edited by RaveN on Mon, Nov 09 2015, 16:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

angst360

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 09 2015, 17:07 PM 

Player

Faded Wings wrote:
That's not going to make anyone want to play more.

They can hardly play less.

Quote:
I will say that these days its either go to the surface for adventure or live the life of a hermit.

Faded Wings wrote:
This is why it's healthy to have alts. That way you don't need to compromise your story to experience good RP.

Oh, its no compromise: He was designed with this very method in mind, thank you very much.

I can see that we are at loggerheads on 'philosophy' so I will just agree to disagree with you.

Anyway, it would be nice if this thread stopped being an obituary and became a place for solutions.

RaveN

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 09 2015, 18:10 PM 

Administrative Developer

Having a couple people go in and demolish years of work and then quit when people still don't play isn't the solution. I'm all for changing the game, but it has to be done well. If a shadow of Vhaeraun falls on Nec'perya, maybe those with faction areas should be allowed to keep them under house arrest, or something.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2