View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Glim

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 29 2013, 19:01 PM 

Player

Welcome to Tarkuul!

This post is a great place to start if you're unfamiliar with Tarkuul, whether you're a new player or a not so new player that hasn't gotten around to checking the place out yet. Tarkuul is quite a unique place, and this post will tell you a bit about what you can expect from it.

The Place
Tarkuul is a small city (especially compared to Cordor or Kohlingen) that is shrouded in dark, foreboding mystery and the presence of sinister works of the magical arts. Your average, common man or woman found throughout Faerun would shy away from Tarkuul and what populace exists within the city is primarily comprised of arcane spell-casters searching for forbidden knowledge, priests venerating their dark deities and all manner of human (and in-human) thugs and mercenaries.

The People
Both the players behind the characters that populate Tarkuul, and the DMs behind the NPCs, are generally good, fun-loving folk just looking to RP the same as anyone you might find in any other area of Amia. While the characters that fill the city's populace can often be dark, intense, foreboding, broody, cruel, malicious (summed up as generally evil), it's important to remember that the players behind those characters are not. The same holds true for the DMs that work to bring the city's NPC population to life. Tarkuul is a very inclusive place; despite being primarily evil aligned, the city is open to characters of all alignments so long as they can work within the bounds of its IC laws.

The History
An immense amount of history awaits discovery in Tarkuul, and with a bit of work, that history can be quite rewarding in a number of ways. While a good amount of this history and information can be found right IG, through examining the descriptions of objects, through sufficient points in the Lore skill, or through speaking with the city's PC residents (remember, knowledge is rarely free), there is a great deal more to discover which cannot be jam-packed into the module itself. The DMs of Tarkuul invite you, even encourage you, to poke and prod and dissect to your heart's content. Just show us the work you put into it (either IG or through the forums if you can't catch us IG) and we're more than happy to help you uncover some of the great truths of this unique city.

For more detailed information about Tarkuul, I recommend reading our entry in the Know Your Leaders lore thread.

Or for a brief look at the primary factions of the city, check these links:
The Living Guard
Magisterium Mortis

Current DMs of Tarkuul are: (click links to send a private message)
Manarethan
slkNihilus

Dead

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 15:09 PM 

Player

Academy of Tarkuul: A new concept

A RELATIVELY SHORT INTRODUCTION

Hello everybody. I want to present you a new concept for the faction I am leading - the Magisterium
    Mortis. While most of you do know who I am and who is my main character, here is a brief introduction
    just to make sure we are all on the same page:

I play Lucius Blackwater, the Headmaster of Academy of Tarkuul. My area of expertise is arcane
    spellcasting with special focus on Necromancy, Palemastery and Undead. Academy of Tarkuul is a
    dominant research institute of the Living City, unbound by morals, striving only to attain more power
    for its students and at the same time Tarkuul itself, through constant improvement. For more
    information about Tarkuul itself visit this thread and follow the links. The main concept behind the
    Academy of Tarkuul is powerbuilding, but not in in the conventional sense of that word. You will not
    get a super-awesome build to bosshunt or to be invincible in PvP. For the Academy of Tarkuul
    "Knowledge is Power" is the main dictum. What you will get is a chance to be a part of some truly
    magnificent projects both DM and player driven. Tarkuul has two DM willing to assist with all the
    projects of the city, and are only a PM away from you.

Those who had a character applying to the Magisterium Mortis (more common name for the Academy
    of Tarkuul) noticed that a test of knowledge was invented recently. A set of 10 questions that have a
    twofold purpose.

1. It gives the new characters a good insight into the basic structure of Tarkuul.
      2. It serves as a starting mini quest, which tests the ability of the applicant to conduct a research.

STAY WITH ME WE ARE GETTING THERE

For years I have been struggling to keep the players motivated, but all of my plans so far failed. As I
    got mostly positive reception for the test of knowledge, since it gave players something to actively
    research, I came up with a brand new concept.

The Magisterium Mortis has several ranks: Novitus, Alumnus, Illuminatus, Magister, and Headmaster.
    When I thought about what test would be beneficial for the entire faction, and the city at the same
    time while leaving the players freedom of pursuing their individual goals I realized that creation of new
    spells could be the answer. As a final test that confirms the promotion into the next rank (or grade if
    you will) a character would be tasked with creating a new spell of his choice, with a minimum level cap.
    It would look something like this:

Novitus > Alumnus = Spell of level 0-3
      Alumnus > Illuminatus = Spell of level 4-7
      Illuminatus > Magister = Spell of 8-9

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE!

This system would not only give the players a promotion quest, it would also serve as a reward for
    being promoted. Toon A is an Alumnus who is contributing a new spell and becoming an Illuminatus.
    As soon as he is promoted, the character is entitled to all the spells created so far by the other
    Illuminati. This would create a bank of spells to serve as a reward system for the players striving to
    become more powerful and more competent spellcasters.

HOW WOULD IT ACTUALLY WORK?

Every new spell would be a subject to standard request rules on Amia. The players would receive IC
    lecture about spell creation and then apply the said knowledge through Roleplay. Custom spell scripting
    is still unavailable, and these are the spells that require of you to spend your DC. It is entirely possible
    to create a RP spell that is for all needs and purposes a PnP spells. This is entirely free and requires
    only some quality Roleplay and the approval of the DM team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the Magisterium Mortis ╬

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]