View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
Akhlys

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 15 2017, 1:44 AM 

Player

A single scroll set on the notice boards is left in Kampo's Warehouse.
Another scroll in the Crouching Lemur Monastery can be found clenched in the mouth of a Jergali idol. Bringing this scroll wordlessly elsewhere will be met with hostility.

A Study of the Divine Influences of the Amian Isle, First Edition
Writings of Amsho, Bearer of the Seven Marks of the Dead Three, Last Child of the Most Holy NKSR

Part I - The Seven Marks and the Scroll of Ascent

Intent - an attempt at an objective chronicle of my faith. As I am the only living student of Haraine Rahkahoul, the last High Priest of the Children of the Most Holy NKSR, it is my belief that I am the sole person able to share our legacy. If He wills it, may these scrolls fall into those that will rebirth my brethren. I will be writing in common, which is not my strong suit, by translating from my notes in infernal. If there are those that wish to discuss the contents with me, they may find me in the Crouching Lemur Monastery. Words will be shared with those that seek to learn in peace, all others will be revenged in kind.

Convention - through my studies I have found examples of both sides of the spectrum. Those that believe none shall be marked until mastering the seven prayers and achieving enlightenment in full, and those that believe the marks should be placed as a reminder to an ever present goal and to be re-inked every time a trial is completed. My teacher was a moderate in regards to these halves, marking me in my youth with the Trimata but leaving the other four to be inked on my own. Upon my ascension I placed the remaining four marks on myself, then re-inked my Trimata, and finally placed the Scroll of Ascent on my chin to display the completion of the seven prayers. It was his belief, and one I now share, that this format leads to the greatest sense of purpose.

The Scroll of Ascent - is the final mark a Child of the Most Holy NKSR places upon their bodies. The placement of such is up to the disciple, but is often either the chin or scalp.
• Symbol - An unraveling scroll. Some place names of those they killed on the scroll, as a warning vigil.
• Significance - The Scroll of Ascent indicates the completion of the Seven Prayers, the end of the journey understanding the dogmas and motives of the Father's divine offspring. Those that bear the scroll are not required to attend clerical ceremonies, but often do, to share their wisdom and to lead acolytes through example. Throughout the hierarchy of the church, those with the Scroll of Ascent are only below the High Priest, often having years of experience that exceed the High Priest, but with a slant towards martial prowess.

The Trimata - the triangular formation formed from the marks of the Dead Three. The arrangement of these three marks is essential in training new acolytes as it is used to connect one's spiritual dedication to their mastery over their body. The Collar symbolizes the head's control over the rest of the body, that the rest shall do as it is told. The Cruor symbolizes the ability to affect the world through force, reaching beyond metaphor and becoming literal weaponry. Finally, the Shawl is the acknowledgement of vulnerability, dedicating a portion of the body to be hardened, or eventually sacrificed, in order to protect the whole.

The Collar - is the foundation of the Trimata and is always placed on the neck, below the base of the skull but above the shoulders.
• Sin - Pride
• Virtue - Discipline
• Symbol - The back side of an upright black hand with fingers together.
• Significance - The Collar teaches humility. To achieve the mark is to understand that a place in the hierarchy of the afterlife requires the absolute surrender to the forces beyond in one's mortal life. As the barrier of the prime is crossed, only a single aspect of the former self will remain, a fatal reminder to all whom are born are destined to die, that they will in the end only be a name written in black ink upon a never ending scroll. Through the wisdom of the Father, one may become eternal by dedicating themselves to service in His name.

The Cruor - is the second mark within the Trimata. It is placed on the dominant side of the body, either on the triceps, forearm, or outer thigh. Personal preference of fighting style will dictate.
• Sin - Sloth
• Virtue - Violence
• Symbol - A black skull circled by a counter-clockwise swirl of droplets.
• Significance - The Cruor is used to enforce the natural strength of the bearer, bringing their mind and body together to enact their force of will onto the physical world, often in the form of rapid yet powerful, qi-aided strikes. To earn the Cruor is to understand that mercy is an abstraction to the truth, a denial of the violent nature of the world, and thus ultimately, a denial of the eventuality of death.

The Shawl - is the third and final mark within the Trimata. It is placed on the non-dominant side of the body, either on the triceps, forearm, or outer thigh, but never above the positioning of the Cruor.
• Sin - Sorrow
• Virtue - Vigilance
• Symbol - A black skull within the outline of an upside-down kite shield.
• Significance - The Shawl teaches sacrifice. In service to the Father, one must be willing to take a position that expends self in His name. To earn the Shawl is to willingly pursue the path of the Father, to protect his ideals and work towards the restoration of His divine whole. If that path is met with hostility and resistance, one has to be ready and willing to lose life and limb, as the mark is a reminder of which limb should be lost first in such an event.

The Maiden's Embrace - is the most important mark of the Dead Three's exarchs. It is commonly placed on the wrist, forearm, or on the chest, over the heart.
• Sin - Lust
• Virtue - Endurance
• Symbol - An outline of a hand with fingers together. Each finger is crowned with long nails, and above each nail is a series of three droplets as if they were dripping upwards.
• Significance - The Maiden's Embrace guides the mind to hold itself above the body. It allows the bearer to see, hear, and feel with clarity by denying any sense of pain or instinctual fear. Often this is the most difficult mark to earn as it requires not only an idea, but practical application of agonizing trials while maintaining that idea.

The Hunter's Pursuit - is placed on the palm or forearm.
• Sin - Wrath
• Virtue - Contemplation
• Symbol - A three fingered raptor talon with a clawed thumb.
• Significance - The Hunter's Pursuit demands the ability to control urges, especially those of violence, that do not add to His restoration. While acts of violence are expected and in some cases encouraged, those that are based in an emotional desire are not worth performing. The mind is what separates man from bestial urges, and it is the duty of the bearer to contemplate all future actions for the implications and responses they enact.

The Lost Face - has two common variants. The first is a pair of vertical stripes, one starting at each eyebrow and moving up towards the crown. The second is a pair of horizontal stripes outlining the edges of the eyes, the ends of which meet at each temple.
• Sin - Vanity
• Virtue - Anonymity
• Symbol - Two black bands.
• Significance - The Lost Face teaches the ability to lose one's identity. This is, as the two bands suggest, multifaceted. The first facet is the literal application, possessing the ability to assume another's identity on a physical level. Copying dress and mannerisms or avoiding sight by magical means. The second facet is the spiritual one. The reduction of one's previous self to take up a new mantle and a new purpose. It is the shedding of any regrets, and any of the goals, of the acolyte's former life.

The Dying Tears - has the greatest variety in placement. Hands, palm or the back of the hand, the wrist, and the forearm are common placements. Another two are at the edges of the mouth or at the outer edges of the eyes, in these cases two sets of dots are inked rather than one.
• Sin - Gluttony
• Virtue - Cleanliness
• Symbol - Three dots arranged in an equilateral triangle.
• Significance - Like the Maiden's Embrace, the Dying Tears teach to experience great pains. Unlike the Maiden's Embrace, the Dying Tears are concerned with orderliness rather than the ability to keep a clear mind during distress. It teaches the preventative measures to ills, maintaining one's domain, clothes, equipment, and emotional stability. For one to be a productive servant of His will, they must be organized and timely in their actions and repair any faults they come across.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]