View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Pony

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:48 AM 

Player

Scriptum Mortis

Sir Robert Caris-Denoix

This tome is the work of years of experience in the field and the studies of my predosessors. I wish to thank the Sacred Order of Saint Elizabeth and the Knight-Templars of the Triad's Light for for allowing me access to their libraries, Dr. Prof. Van Richten for his great aid in finishing my work and finally Sir John for the many nights I spent in his personal study over his collection of tomes.

The Scriptum Mortis is dedicated to the memory of Father Simond, who gave his life to see the taint of the Kohlingen Manor eradicated. To Earl Manifred, who willingly accepted death as the only solution to end the curse when he was free of the control of the Necronomicum. And especially to Grand Master Sharina M. Fryar, who gave her life in the line of duty against the flood of dark necromancy. May they all find peace in the silent embrace of lord Kelemvor.

Scriptum Mortis I - The Walking Dead
I. Introduction
II. General Observation
III. Types
----I. Skeletal
----II. Decayed
----III. Withered
----IV. Beastial
----V. Intact
IV. Origin
----I. Magic
----II. Spawning
----III. Curses
----IV. Sudden Death
----V. Dark Desire
IV. Vulnerabilities
----I. Holy Water
----II. Turning
----III. Magic

Scriptum Mortis II - The Scarlet Kiss
I. Introduction
II. Vampire Powers
----I. None-spell like powers
----II. Spell like powers
--------I. In Combat
--------II. Shapeshifting
III. Vampire Vulnerabilities
----I. The Divine Symbol
----II. Garlic, Mirrors and Water
----III. Safe Havens
----IV. Positive Energy
IV. Destroying a Vampire
----II. Cursed
----II. Fledgling
----III. Lord
V. Craving and Diet
----I Signs of Feeding

Scriptum Mortis III - The Haunted
I. Introduction
II. Classification of the Haunted
----I. Magnitudes of Power:
--------I. First Magnitude
--------II. Second Magnitude
--------III. Third Magnitude
--------IV. Fourth Magnitude
--------V. Fifth Magnitude
----II. Physical Consistency
--------I. Concealed
--------II. Manifested
----II. Origin
--------I. Sudden Death
--------II. Dedication
--------III. Stewardship
--------IV. Justice
--------V. Vengeance
--------VI. Curses
--------VII. Dark Pacts
----II. Anchors
--------I. Relationship
--------II. Place
--------III. Item
III. Powers
--------I. Corrupting Gaze
--------II. Touch of the Haunted
--------III. Frightful Presence
--------IV. Malevolence
--------V. Telekinesis
III. Vulnerabilities
--------I. Holy Water
--------II. Turning
--------III. Magic
--------IV. Ethernal

Sources-------------------------------------
(// Sources:
- Van Richten's Guide to Vampires
- Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead
- Van Richten's Guide to the Haunted
- Libris Mortis
- Monster Manual 1
- Monster Manual 2
- Monster Manual 3
- d20srd.org //)
-------------------------------------

Last edited by Pony on Mon, Aug 29 2011, 7:34 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Pony

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:48 AM 

Player

Scriptum Mortis I - The Walking Dead

Sir Robert Caris-Denoix

I. Introduction
II. General Observation
III. Types
----I. Skeletal
----II. Decayed
----III. Withered
----IV. Beastial
----V. Intact
IV. Origin
----I. Magic
----II. Spawning
----III. Curses
----IV. Sudden Death
----V. Dark Desire
IV. Vulnerabilities
----I. Holy Water
----II. Turning
----III. Magic

I. Introduction:

The Walking Dead, skeletons, zombies, ghouls, and simmilar undead animated by negative energy, are both the most common form of undead and the least appreciated for the menance they present to the living.

Not only must those who stand against them remember that their opponent may manifest abilities evolved from its personality during life, they must also consider that their foe might also have been further tainted by necromancers, liches and other dark spellcasters. The pits of the twisted taintful nature of what we face often go far deeper than one could forsee.

In the ruathym and amian region these beings can be found nearly in every part. From the sewers and burial island of the former Dutchy of Cordor, to the burning crypts south of Wharftown and the Castle Darkhold. Caraigh being the most afflicted part of the two regions, where the living dead have long since outnumbered the living.

II. General Observations:

Like all undead, the Walking Dead were beings that once were alive, even if the creature has no resembalence what so ever to what it once was.

All Walking Dead are entirely corporeal, their spirits trapped in the bodies they inhabited during life. Because their physical shell is already dead they are immune to any attack that depends on living processes: toxins, sleep, parlysis, disease (...). They do not feel pain, at least not as the living do, and can not be struck unconsious.

Because the Walking Dead do not breathe and can be unnaturally still, detecting them can be of difficulty. The majority of the Walking Dead attack by slamming their foes with their fists or by rending them with claws and teeth. The majority do not use weapons.

III. Types:

The state of preservation is a defining feature of the Walking Dead. Discerning a walking dead's state of preservation is simple, and is the key to predicting many of it's abilities.

III. I. Skeletal:

A skeletal creature's original flesh has completly rotted away, leaving only bare boens supported by negative energy, a strange mockery of the muscles that supported the living creature. Occasionally, scraps of flesh cling to the skeleton, or a particular organ such as the eyes or tongue has escaped decay, but the creature is definetly more bones that flesh.

Skeletal undead are generally resistant to piercing and slashing weapons, as they have little soft tissue left for the blade to pierce. Likewise, without flesh to be frozen they can usually ignore freezing temperatures.

Having no tongues, skeletal undead usually lose the ability to speak or otherwise make any intelligible sounds, even if intelligent. They somehow retain the ability to hear, how this is possible is unknown.

III. II. Decayed:

Decayed undead retain some flesh, but it is typically rancid and crawling with maggots. As one could well imagine, these creatures are foul enough to turn even the strongest stomach, and once smelled, their disgusting aroma can never be forgotten. These foul corpses are some of the most revolting undead in existence.

Zombies are the most common and well known form of decayed undead. Although slow and awkward, we must warn that not all undead are so hampered. We have seen zombies that moved with bliding speed, battering us with their fists almost faster than we could see.

Decayed undead often carry infectious diseases, rut grubs and other unwholesome parasites, which can easily be transfered to their living victims, returning to inflict suffering long afterthe undead itself has moved on. If you are forced to confront decayed undead, try to maintain distance if possible and see a priest or expierienced healer afterwards to ensure you are free of disease.

Because of their corroded nerves and soggy flesh, decayed undead may be resistant to one or more forms of damage, typically slashing or fire, although resistance to other forms of energy is also common.

III. III. Withered:

In this case, the undead retains all of it's flesh, but it is withered and dry, almost mummified. The skin is like parchment, but it is often as tough as leather or stronger. Perhaps withered undead are more closely tied to the Negative Energy Plane, resulting in this desicration, or perhaps the more intact corpse, the more negative energy it can contain - but withered undead are often more powerful than the skeletal and decayed.

Like decayed undead, withered undead may bear parasites beneath their dry skin, so carem ust be taken to avoid infection. Ghoul Fever is a common disease found with Ghouls and Ghasts. A humanoid that becomes afflicted of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul the next midnight.

III. IV. Beastial:

Bestial undead retain all of their flesh and may even seem alive at first glance. Yet undeath twists these creatures into horrible parodies of their living forms. Their hands may twist into cruel talons, or their tongues may become obscenly swollen and disclored. Teeth can become fangs, hair can sprout into a wiry, untamable mane. Beastial walking dead are rarely still, always twitiching and rocking from side to side.

During combat they release frightening roars, howls, and animaliistic gibbering. Even animals are monsters suffer simmilar distortions. They become more grotesque, their features more coarse. Their fur bristles from their bodies and their eyes bulge from their heads.

The distortion of their bodies seems to rob more beastial undead of all but vicious cunning. Only the most powerful retain their full intellects, so adventurers should beware of Walking Dead that look like perverted, degenerate creatures yet still act with care and insight.

III. V. Intact:

No walking dead can appear truly lifelike without the use of magic, but intact undead come to the cloest to being unchanged by death in a physical sense.

Undead in the intact state of preservation appear to have been dead only a short time, showing little to no signs of decay. Their eyes are dull and glazed. Here every detail is required to not overlook the hints that would allow such a creature to be given it's final rest.

IV. Origin:

The Walking Dead can arise in numerous ways. The five most common shall be listed here, but other means of creation should not be discounted.

IV. I. Magic:

Walking Dead can be created using dark necromancy, as elaborated in the Trinity of Necromancy by the Sacred Order of Saint Elizabeth, such as animate dead or create undead. This is the most common method of creating the obidient dead, though it must be noted such spells can also create free willed undead.

Caraigh and the now cleansed Kohlingen Manor are key examples of how magic can cause the state of unrest. In Caraigh through the magic granted by a foul demonic deity the land was tainted itself to the point the dead simply rose. In the Kohlingen Manor it was the doing of Earl Manifred and the Necromonicum.

IV. II. Spawning:

Many types of the walking dead can reanimate their victims as creatures like themselves, an ability that lies at the heart of the horror of the walking dead. To rise as a new spawn, a victim must be killed by the walking dead.

The spawning process appears to be immensely painful, the changes inflicting intense mental and physical trauma to the victim. In many cases, the agony of the transformation is enough to fog or even obliterate the walking dead's memory of it's past life, while others retain their memories and personalities but are tainted with evil.

An example of spawning is the bite of a ghoul. In the cordorian burial island of Moribound this is most common. Adventurers and the mourning are inflicted by the creatures, and in turn prey on the living themselves.

IV. III. Curses:

The dead can crawl from their graves due to curses that afflicted them during life. This curse may be malicious or it may be the just reward for a life or evil, much like those that taste the flesh of their own race are cursed to become ghoul lords in death.

Cursed undead are often malicious and vengeful, feeling wronged by the world at large. They are determined to avenge themselves upon the people or even the societies that created them.

We would also classify those undead that spontaneously arise due to improper burial, such as at the crossroads or face down, as those who arise due to a curse, although a spiritual one. If the inproper burial leading to a state of undeath is more than folklore has not been researched thoroughly.

IV. IV. Sudden Death:

Like some ghosts, some of the Walking Dead exist simply because death came so suddenly they never realized that life ended. At first, and perhaps for several years afterwards, such undead may retain their original thought processs and personality, before slowly and inevitiably spiralling into madness and evil.

They typically return to places they loved during life, unable to understand why they are no longer welcome but also desperate to regain what they have lost.

This is undoubtly the most tragic origin for the Walking Dead, but one must still not soften one's heart towards the undead but remember the teachings of lord Kelemvor. While their attempts to return to normal life fail, these monsters express their frustration through violence directed at those who will not accommodate them - their friends and family.

While we may feel for such creatures, that may never come between what must be done to relieve from it's misery.

IV. V. Dark Desire:

The final method of origin is also the most disturbing. If their desire is great enough, the dead can walk simply because they want to. This grim circumstance is the hallmark of the Restless Dead, although some villans deliberatly transform themselves into the Hungry Dead.

Their reasons for rising from the grave are many and varied, ranging from the desire to avenge themselves on someone who wronged them during life, to hatred of jealousy of the living, to protecting their graves or families, or to complete some unfinished buisnesss.

Mohrgs are the animated corpses of mass murderes or simmilar villans who died without atoning for their crimes. Tortured by an all consuming hatred of living things, they long ot live again.

It is therefore prudent to stand wake above the grave of a executed criminal for at least a tenday. The practice of burying the predetators of society in unmarked graves outside of the city limits likely is highly recommended for any society.

V. Vulnerabilities:

As experience has allowed us to understand, some weaknesses are found in all of the Walking Dead, at least to some extent, while others are found only in a particular taintful strain or cursed individual.

V. I. Holy Water:

As noted by many before me, holy water is one of the most important weapons in your arsenal against the living dead. A single splash of the pure liquid burns the impure flesh of the cursed.

V. II. Turning:

The Walking Dead are vile creatures, and the Church of Lord Kelemvor through his teachings rightly sees them as blasphemies of the highest order. This righteous outrage allows the priest or paladin of the lord to channel enough positive energy to repel or even destroy the Walking Dead with the power of faith.

V. III. Magic:

In general, the Walking Dead are almost never resistant to magical effects. This makes magic the most potent and versatile weapon in our arsenal against the living dead. While mind affecting spells have little to no effect, and many undead are resistant to certain aspect of energy such as flame - as seen in the Burning Crypts - positive energy channel through spells such as mass heal are extremely effective.

Last edited by Pony on Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Pony

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:49 AM 

Player

Scriptum Mortis II - The Scarlet Kiss

Sir Robert Caris-Denoix

I. Introduction
II. Vampire Powers
----I. None-spell like powers
----II. Spell like powers
--------I. In Combat
--------II. Shapeshifting
III. Vampire Vulnerabilities
----I. The Divine Symbol
----II. Garlic, Mirrors and Water
----III. Safe Havens
----IV. Positive Energy
IV. Destroying a Vampire
----II. Cursed
----II. Fledgling
----III. Lord
V. Craving and Diet

I. Introduction:

Bound to their coffins and the unholy earth of their resting place, vampires are undead nocturnal predators who feed upon the blood of their own kind and other living creatures. Within this tome their kind will be discussed in more depth. The knowledge written down upon these pages has been derived from the studies of the Sacred Order of Saint Elizabeth, my own and those of the Dr. Prof. Van Richten.

To begin with, it is important to note that the following study is focused on what would be referred to as the common vampire. This is however a problem within itself, as there is no such thing as a "common vampire". Vampires are perhaps the most individualistic of undead. The differences between individual vampires typically become more pronounced as the creatures advance in age and power: while most fledgling vampires typically show at least some similarities with each other, the differences between the aged Patriarchs are often so great as to make one suspect that they are completely different types of creatures. The following discussions deal with the most common powers and weaknesses of vampires.

These undisputed masters of the undead have an abundance of powers from which to choose, giving them an advantage in nearly every combat and noncombat situation. These monsters enjoy significant benefits in nearly every aspect of their being. Their senses, strength, reasoning, and intelligence are all far beyond that of the kin they were created from. Its powers far greater than first anticipated. In fact, if not for their special vulnerabilities, vampires would be nearly unstoppable. Although all vampires are extremely powerful, there is a moderating effect on the abilities of vampires, and this is time. A newly-created vampire is relatively weak when compared to those that have been in existence for decades or centuries. On the other end of the scale, a vampire who has existed for a millennium or more is unimaginably more powerful than a newly-created fledgling.

No one knows exactly why this is so. Some scholars believe this progression to be “an innate characteristic of vampiric nature,” which of course is no true answer at all. My personal belief is that all vampires are created with the potential to use all the powers available to a 1,000-year-old individual, but that actually using those powers is something that must be learned. Just as a infant has the ability to walk and speak, it first needs to learn to make use of those abilities. Presumably, the more “advanced” powers require more subtlety to control, or are more taxing on the vampire, or perhaps both. To use these greater powers the vampire must practice the precision required and must build the willpower and mental fortitude needed to wield them.

Due to their knowledge acquired over long periods of time, their heightened intellect and their traits of personality, the schemes and plans set in motion by a vampire are hard to discern completely. Often they plant elements decades before they actually wish to harvest the fruits of their doing, creating unforeseeable factors of great threat. To underestimate or falsely interpret any of their acts can be a mistake of enormous consequences. It must be understood that the timescale they act within is far different in nature from that of a mortal being.

II. Vampire Powers:

All of these cursed beings enjoy certain abilities which, were they possessed by a mortal, would certainly be ascribed to the realm of magic. To a vampire, however, these are innate. Some of the powers appear to be the result of casting spells, yet others render the creature “unnatural,” so to speak. At this point I shall divide these capacities into “nonspell-like” and “spell-like” powers and outline them. I shall repeat however, that to these undead creatures they are altogether inherent.

II. I. None-Spell Like Powers:

All vampires are extremely powerful in the physical sense. The reasons for this are unclear. Perhaps the transformation from life to undeath somehow tempers the body physically, making muscles stronger and flesh, bones, and sinew more resistant to damage. From the moment of their creation, Vampires are hideously strong. Unlike mortals, who weaken as they grow older and their muscles atrophy, vampires actually gain strength as the years pass. Vampires enjoy an increase in their dexterity and speed of reaction as well. The process of becoming a vampire seems to imbue them with significantly increased coordination, and this benefit only grows as the years pass.

As a vampire grows older its intelligence, too, is enhanced. These creatures are extremely cunning, their actions calculated. Vampires have a keen power of reason and they will frequently achieve their goals through cunning alone, never having to rely on crude force. Do not draw the wrong conclusion from this: these creatures do not fear, loathe, or otherwise shun the direct use of force. They simply view force as one possible tool with which to achieve their aims, and will usually select the tool best suited to the situation. After all, why should a creature put its own “life” at risk when, through guile, it can get everything it wants at no potential risk?

When hunting a vampire, be especially careful to remember the creature’s intelligence. Vampires may, for example, have their lairs ingeniously hidden and laden with many traps and snares to protect it. They can also blend into mortal society, dominating and manipulating the people around them, even going so far as to win unsuspecting allies and even friends. Cunning vampires may have the support, if not the love, of those around them. In short, do not assume that a vampire is a “two-dimensional” being, interested only in drinking blood and draining life energy. The Creature’s intelligence is often a more effective weapon than its other innate powers.

With time most vampires develop an incredible force of personality with which they delude and sway the gullible. This seems to spring from the immense self-confidence that vampires develop over centuries of existence, and from the fact that they have had sometimes more than a millennium to learn the nuances of their former races behavior. This often provides a grave threat when a vampire takes interest in yourself, as it's skills of manipulation will often be used to use others as a shield against you. The strings of its puppet theater are so many yet so hard to see. Even taking the monster’s seemingly magical hypnotic gaze out of account, conversing with a vampire is incredibly risky because the creature is persuasive enough to convince virtually anyone of anything. This same powerful magnetism makes most vampires incredibly charming individuals. Vampires are almost always exceedingly adept at gaining the favor of the opposite sex, and this is true for any race which has separate genders.

II. II. Spell Like Powers:

If one were to consider only the innate abilities discussed above, vampires would appear to be lethal enough foes. Unfortunately for those who hunt the creatures, they have at their command a formidable array of spell-like abilities as well. These powers seem to be common to most, if not all vampires, and are independent of the spellcasting tradition that a vampire may have followed in life. Some vampires that were spellcasters while alive do indeed retain their arcane abilities.

This occurrence is generally limited to those who were wizards in life. Only very rarely do priests retain their powers, and then only if they served the most vile and evil gods during their lives. This particular section, however, deals exclusively with the innate spell-like powers of vampires.

Perhaps the most fearsome and wholly destructive power of the vampire is its ability to drain life energy by touch. These monsters can, by making physical contact with their opponents, drain away the very living essence of those opponents. Contrary to several tales, a vampire need not make. actual flesh-to-flesh contact with its opponent to drain life energy. Even if the creature lands a solid unarmed blow on clothing or armor, it is capable of draining life force through such obstacles.

It is of the utmost importance to her note that those who fall to this draining of life essence are cursed themselves and rise one to four days after their burial if preventive measures are not taken. They do not rise as true vampires themselves, but as spawn. Vampire Spawn do not share the amount of power that a true vampire does.

A vampire can crush an opponent's will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This power, as well as having practical combat applications, is highly useful for overcoming a number of vampiric weaknesses. If, for example, a vampire could not enter a prospective victim’s home, it could attempt to dominate the person into leaving the safe haven of the building. As with a dominate person spell, the vampire is unable to order its charmed victim to do anything obviously self-destructive, such as jumping off a cliff.

The creature could convince the victim that the vampire is his or her friend, however, and that the victim should leave a place of safety to greet his or her “friend.” As these dark creatures get older, their charm-gaze gets stronger. It is said an ancient vampire can charm simply by the sound of its voice. By uttering soothing words, the creature enraptures its victim.

Vampires have the innate ability to imitate another wizard spell: spider climb.They are able to use this power at will, with no limits on duration or frequency. This innate spell-like power operates, in most respects, like the wizard spell except that it requires no verbal, somatic, or material components. Note that a vampire is still subject to all its normal restrictions when using its spider climb power. Thus, many vampires cannot climb up a tower and enter a castle unless they are first invited.

They could, however, climb up a tower and attempt to charm someone through a window. The ability to climb otherwise unclimbable surfaces enables vampires to situate their lairs in places that mortals cannot enter. A tall tower with no stairs or doors leading up to it would be a perfect place for a vampire to hide its sanctuary. It would be able to climb up the sheer wall of the tower and enter through a window to its waiting coffin.

II. II. I. In Combat:

These lords of darkness are not subject to attacks from nonmagical weapons. To a vampire, mundane weapons are not even an annoyance. Only lesser magical arms or those who are made of silver are required to harm a young vampire, but as the creature progresses, ever more powerful enchantments are required. Those who are not magical or of silver will simply glance off the body of the vampire, doing no more damage than would a strike from a feather.

In other cases, the weapon seems to inflict a wound-albeit a very minor one-but this wound does not discommode the vampire one whit. In still other cases, the weapon seems to pass right through the creature, as though the vampire were simply a mirage.

Even if weapons sufficiently enchanted to cause physical damage are wielded against a vampire, the creature’s destruction is still far from assured. This is because the monsters have the innate ability to regenerate physical damage. Wounds close, broken bones reform themselves, even missing limbs regenerate with time. The speed at which this occurs increases with the monster’s age. Still, even the most lowly vampire regenerates at an alarming rate.

The physiological (or more correctly, necrological) processes of vampire regeneration remain largely unknown, despite the best efforts of several sages. Symbolically, however, the reason is understandable: a vampire’s undead body is somehow locked in its physical condition as it crosses the veil between life and undeath; as aging is halted, so is incurred damage.

Even with the above conditions taken into account, it is still very difficult to destroy a vampire through physical combat. In the majority of cases, once a vampire has suffered sufficient physical damage to “kill” it, it transforms to a gaseous form and attempts to return to its coffin or other sanctuary. After eight hours of complete inactivity, it regains corporeal form with all of its physical wounds healed. For this reason, it is vital that vampire hunters finish the job when they force a vampire into gaseous form!

If they do not track the gaseous creature to its sanctuary or prevent it from reaching its sanctuary, they will be faced with the prospect of a totally unharmed vampire rising after only eight hours. This vampire will likely be somewhat “irked” and plan some distinctive kind of vengeance against those who challenged it. (If a vampire forced into gaseous form by overwhelming physical damage is prevented from reaching the safety of its coffin or sanctuary for a period of twelve hours, the ‘creature is destroyed.)

II. II. II. Shapeshifting:

Vampires are capable of intentionally disassociating the physical components of their bodies, turning into a translucent cloud of mist, with all of its gear. A vampire in gaseous form is not completely immune to any physical attacks, however highly resistant. Magical attacks are still effective against some vampires in gaseous form; this varies from individual to individual. Some vampires are totally immune to all magical attacks while in gaseous form.

III. Vampire Weaknesses:

III. I. The Divine Symbol:

There is no consensus among experts as to exactly why the holy symbols of good faiths have such an effect on vampires. No one can argue with the fact that this effect exists, however. But it is certain that a pious and divinely blessed follower can halt, turn or even destroy a vampire with such a demonstration of his faith.

Most scholars believe the symbol itself is not significant; it is the faith of the person holding the symbol that is important. The precepts of any good-aligned faith will classify the vampire as a blasphemer against the gods and against nature. Thus, any pious follower of such a faith will view a vampire with righteous outrage. According to these philosophers, it is this righteous abhorrence, of which the holy item is just a symbol, that so affects a vampire.

As with other undead, vampires are sometimes subject to forced awe or control by priests of dark faiths. Just as a priest of light can use a holy symbol in an attempt to turn or banish a vampire, so can an evil-aligned priest use his symbol in an attempt to control the vampire. In both cases, the priest’s faith and willpower are key issues, and the outcome is never certain.

In addition to priestly turning as discussed above, many vampires are also subject to the presentment of a good-aligned holy symbol by a layperson or by a priest of insufficient experience to actually turn the creature. It should be noted that presentment of a holy symbol will never drive a vampire away; it will only keep it at bay temporarily. This however also depends on the age and power of the vampire and does not protect the bearer from the many other ways a vampire can harm them.

III. II. Garlic, Mirrors and Water:

Garlic also has a strong effect on vampires. The reasons for this are unclear, but some innate quality in the plant causes vampires to cower from it. Some sages believe the reason is simply that vampires find the odor extremely offensive-so offensive, in fact, that a vampire will never approach any significant quantity of garlic. I find this explanation of Professor Hal'yeth too simplistic in nature.

My own conclusion is that garlic is a toxin to their necrological system, similar as to wolvesbane, also known as aconite, is to werewolves.

Vampires are also kept at bay by running water. It seems that running water somehow has some warding power over vampires, as garlic does or mirrors do. As to why this is the case, I have not yet uncovered an answer or theory that would satisfy myself.

III. III. Safe Havens:

There are certain structures and locales that can strongly influence or prohibit vampires. These structures and locales can best be described as sanctified places or homes. The location must be owned by an individual or strongly defined group, such as a monk order in a monastery or a house of a family resident to it. If the location is inhabited, it must be inhabited by the owner or by a member of the owning group. An abandoned house does not qualify, even if a group of beggars lives within it. In addition vampires can not enter hallowed grounds.

III. IV. Positive Energy:

Because of their necrological system which thrives on the negative energy essence, like all undead vampires are extremely prone to take great damage from positive energy. This included spells such as healing magic or an altered version of the Greater Ruin incantation outlined in the complete Tome of Transmutation. In turn, negative energy has can have an empowering effect on them because of their connection with the negative energy plane.

IV. Destroying a Vampire:

When dealing with powerful vampires, driving it away or keeping it bay may prove difficult enough. This however does not solve the root of the problem, and presents a chance for the creature to return at a time of it's choosing with it's own preparations. Patience is often learned over time, and the living dead have exactly that.

IV. I. The Cursed:

A person that fell the victim of one of the cursed kindred will likely rise in between one to four days. The simplest way to prevent such to occur is that the body is destroyed instead of buried. If such is not possible due to tradition, the most effective alternative is to drive a stake through the heart of the body, fill it's mouth with consecrated soil and cut off it's head.

IV. I. The Fledling:

The first manner to destroy a vampire is with a wooden stake. Due to their powers, if possible such should be only attempted when the undead is resting in it's lair during daylight. If however one needs to confront a vampire that is conscious and unrestrained, the stake must be manually driven into it's heart.

This is far from simple, as with it's inhuman strength, the muscles of a vampire are much more sturdy. Driving it through the chest cavity into the small target that is the heart present another obstacle.

A vampire can return to life once the stake is removed. This means that it must be destroyed to ensure that it can not be returned.

Sunlight destroys all but the most powerful of their kind. Only direct rays or such rays reflected by a mirror will harm a vampire. It only has a very short time to escape the rays of the Morning Lord and if unable to do so, will be permanently destroyed.

The last possibility is to immerse it into running water. If held down for long enough, roughly nine seconds, it will be successfully destroyed.

IV. I. The Vampire Lord:

Vampire lords have far fewer weaknesses than fledglings. Garlic and holy symbols have little to no effect upon them. They have no fear of mirrors, and are far more difficult to detect as they cast shadows and can cross over and through running water without difficulty. If they are immersed in it, it causes them no harm.

A vampire lord is not as vulnerable to sunlight as a normal vampire, and can go about in broad daylight if it desires. A vampire lord in sunlight cannot use any of its supernatural powers. Spells that create sunlight have no effect on them, only the true rays of the sun does.

If the vampire lord is destroyed while exposed to direct sunlight, it seems to die, but unless the body is disposed of it assumes gaseous form as soon as the sun sets and attempts to return to its coffin. A vampire lord is not killed outright by a wooden stake driven through its heart.

The only way to make sure that a vampire lord does not return is to cut its head from its body, burn the body and the head separately, scatter the ashes from the body over running water, immerse the ashes from the head in holy water, and bury the immersed ashes in consecrated ground.

However, if the head ashes are ever unearthed and somehow separated from the holy water, dried thoroughly, and then subjected to an unhallow spell, the vampire lord can regenerate in a tenday if the ashes are placed inside one of its places of rest.

The most famous of the Vampire Lords in the amian region was Count Montegaurde.

V. Craving and Diet:

A vampire is a rare exception among the undead. The majority of most undead have little or no metabolism to write of. The Vampire has a inescapable craving for the life force of it's victims and depends on a diet of blood. This means while a vampire does not have a physical need for the life force, if denied, can turn a vampire from a sentient undead to a creature of mindless hunger. Once fed, this craving drops back to a tolerable level, before the cycle continues.

More important is the required diet of blood. The link to the Negative Energy Plane for undead of these sort grows increasingly tenuous the longer they are denied the necessary food. At some point, their mobility or one or more specific abilities are suppressed until they can feed again. However, no matter how enervated by lack of feeding, vampires cannot be starved to the point of permanent deanimation. A fresh infusion of blood can always bring them back to their full abilities.

V. I. Signs of Feeding:

The wound is often less than half an inch in legths. Two small punctures and a discoloration caused by bleeding below the skin marks the spot, easily mistakable for a bruise. It caused no pain to the victim and is not sensitive to touch. The reason for this is unknown, but colleagues believe it may stem from a special componenent within the vampire's saliva.

The victim is hence usually unaware of the wound until they see their imagie in a mirror, or until someone brings it to their attention. The victim may feel some weakness that arises from bloodloss, and appear somewhat pale.

Victim Report:

I shake in horror to think about it now. But at the time, as the fiend spoke, I felt its velvet voice thrilling through my body. So seductive were its words that 1 gladly opened the collar of
    my coat and bared the skin of my neck, and then stood trembling as I awaited the approach of the dark figure.

I gasped aloud with pleasure as its lips touched my flesh, and its hands grasped my shoulders. Then came an instant of pleasure so piercing it was like pain-or pain so sweet it was like pleasure. I could hear the throbbing of my heartbeat in my ears, and also a deep and distant thudding that must have been the beating of the uampire’s heart.

The drumbeats synchronized until the sounds were one. I cried out from the ecstasy of it. . . .
    -From the journal of Alathea Greenbough

Pony

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 29 2011, 7:31 AM 

Player

Scriptum Mortis III - The Haunted

Sir Robert Caris-Denoix

I. Introduction
II. Classification of the Haunted
----I. Magnitudes of Power:
--------I. First Magnitude
--------II. Second Magnitude
--------III. Third Magnitude
--------IV. Fourth Magnitude
--------V. Fifth Magnitude
----II. Physical Consistency
--------I. Concealed
--------II. Manifested
----II. Origin
--------I. Sudden Death
--------II. Dedication
--------III. Stewardship
--------IV. Justice
--------V. Vengeance
--------VI. Curses
--------VII. Dark Pacts
----II. Anchors
--------I. Relationship
--------II. Place
--------III. Item
III. Powers
--------I. Corrupting Gaze
--------II. Touch of the Haunted
--------III. Frightful Presence
--------IV. Malevolence
--------V. Telekinesis
III. Vulnerabilities
--------I. Holy Water
--------II. Turning
--------III. Magic
--------IV. Ethernal

I. Introduction:

The haunted, or more more commonly referred to as ghosts, are the spectral remnants of intelligent beings who can not find their way to the realm of lord Kelemvor. Similar to Vampires, as outlined in the Scriptum Mortis II, the haunted hold similar traits but vary greatly.

There are those who go about their existence with little to no inter rest in the living and who themselves are no danger, and others who are malevolent spirits who loathe all life and seek to destroy it whenever possible. In both cases the just thing to do is to allow the spirit to find release.

What sets them apart from the other living dead is that the reason of their creation is an anchor to the material plane. While they can be driven away or destroyed, they return until the reason of their existence is dealt with.

II. Classification of the Haunted:

A haunted resembles it's corporeal form in life, but this form in certain cases may have been altered. Some of the haunted resemble divine beings as beautiful as the angels of the seven mountains, while others are horrible twisted creatures, showing the agony of undeath and their cursed existence.

The forms of classifications that outline the magnitudes of their power and their physical appearance are to aid those tasked to relief such a haunted from their existence. However, it must be remembered that there is often, but not always, a correlation between the ghost's appearance and the state of it's heart. This makes them all only more dangerous and requires all of them to be treated with the utmost vigilance.

Knowledge is power, as it is often said. This rings true here not only concerning the knowledge of a spirit, but the being it has been in the past. A ghost's behavior usually matches it's life. A spirit of greed consumed person, for example, might continue to hoard wealth even though it has no use for such treasures. Similarly a ghost is generally tied to the place where it died.

II. I. Magnitudes of Power:

This category of classification is based on the individual power of a ghost. This is similar to the classification between a fledgling vampire and a vampire elder. The borders between these beings are not exact.

II. I. I. First Magnitude:

The least powerful of the haunted are those that were created through just enough emotional energy that would allow the transformation. Because of this, their origins are less dramatic and their power weak. They make for little enjoyment in tales or songs, as their existence is one that would usually bore any listener.

First Magnitude - The Loud Man of Larmodia

Dr. Professor von Richten in his travels met one of these haunted that I myself found amusing. When he was young, he traveled to a small village along the coast. While there, he learned of a spirit who haunted a lake outside town. It seems that those who fished in that lake were occasionally troubled by a ghostly fisherman, a ghost who talked to them about the fine spot he had found for bass, the sudden changes in recent weather patterns, and other trivia. His conversations were so monotonous that it was said to be impossible to avoid falling asleep.

Escaping the spirit’s babbling, it seems, was likewise impossible, for the Loud Man would follow the fishermen wherever they went. Only by leaving the lake, and thus abandoning bringing home the evening meal, could one escape this specter. Those who attempted to drive off the fellow found that they could do so easily, but any fish they pulled from the water for the next few months would spoil before it could be eaten.

II. I. II. Second Magnitude:

Ghosts of the second magnitude are still usually little more than a nuisance. They are however more aggressive and more easily angered. The emotional level here could be that of a man dying of a heart attack in a spousal quarrel or an artist working on a painting that means a great deal to her.

Second Magnitude - The Restless Halfling

Laddy Bristerbuck was betrayed by his comrades and left behind to be devoured by a young blue dragon that inhabited the ruins of an ancient moathouse. Though the dragon is now dead, slain by a valiant man, the moathouse had a new guardian: the ghost of Laddy Bristerbuck. This spirit was put to rest by sir Rudolf. He learned of the dreadful tale, and sought out the comrades that turned to flee. Sir Rudolf then persuaded them to return to apologize for their actions to the ghost.

II. I. III. Third Magnitude:

The haunted of the third magnitude are a dangerous power. These are often outright evil and malicious. Their power allows to slay or cripple a man with ease.

For these to form they must die in a highly emotional state. Take, for example, a man who is forced to watch his beloved family be cruelly slain and then is himself killed while still in the grip of this overwhelming anguish.

Third Magnitude - Stronglimb, Spirit of the Woodlands

The treant known as Stronglimb died when orc marauders burned him alive. This horrible death resulted in Stronglimb returned as a ghost. To this day, he still serves his former forest home as a guardian spirit and defends it agaisnt those who would come to harm the lands and it's inhabitants.

II. I. IV. Fourth Magnitude:

These are among the most powerful of the haunted. Here death involves a great emotional stress of energy. Spirits of this type are generally warped by the power of their emotions, becoming highly aggressive, evil and cruel. These are almost impossible to drive off or destroy through conventional means, requiring special care on the part of those who would eliminate them.

The circumstances surrounding a person's death powerful enough to create a ghost of this type. There are only few records of these powerful spirits, and I have only encountered two in my travels. Records show that these spirits usually embraced death with a great fervor or felt themself so powerful that death could hold no sway over them.

Fourth Magnitude - Narthal, Bane of the Deeps

Whether this tale is the truth or not I can not be certain of. However, it is said that in the depths of the Alamber Sea, there once for decades ruled a terrible kraken. She brooked no competitors to her control, hunting down and destroying all aquatic creatures that might have posed a threat to her. She even claimed the ocean’s surface as her own, dragging many a ship to a watery grave.

A few years ago, her reign was ended by a sahuagin baron, who led an army of savage warriors against her. The waters frothed red that day, and many sahuagin lost their lives in the conflict. But Narthal died as well, and the baron claimed her territory as his own. The remaining sahuagin settled there, and soon a thriving community existed in the caverns once occupied by Narthal and her slaves.

It is said this terrible aquarian creature has returned as a spirit to once more regain control of the depths of the sea.

II. I. V. Fifth Magnitude:

I have never met a case of a fifth magnitude haunted, and I must admit the thought of facing one of these powerful beings would drain the color from my face. The emotional intensity needed to create a ghost of this power is so rare it happens but once in a very great while. I would even dare to say that whole centuries might pass without a ghost of this type being formed.

These malignant beings can not be destroyed through conventional means, or at least there has never been a record of such to my knowledge. These require special means of elimination, and these vary between the fifth magnitude ghosts.

Fifth Magnitude - Confidential

II. II. Physical Consistency:

II. II. I. Concealed:

Concealed haunted remain present on the Ethereal Plane. This means that they can not affect or be affected by anything on the material plane. Only methods of detection that would allow one to see beyond the curtain of our world are effective in this state of physical consistency, as the haunted is truly in a foreign world.

II. II. II. Manifested:

The haunted are most often encountered in this state. When a haunted manifests, it partly enters our plane of existence and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. Here the spirit is present on two planes of existence at the same time.

Such manifestations can pass through living beings and walls. Swords and daggers do not bite them and arrows and bolts pass right through them. However, magical weapons of lesser or greater enchantment and spells are able to injure the haunted in this physical form.

II. III. Origin of the Haunted:

The third classification category is the origin of the haunted.

II. III. I. Sudden Death:

A haunted can form when an individual unexpectedly dies. The being simply put does not realize it has died. It is usual with these spirits that their heart remains true to what it once was in life. A member of the backwash of society that earned his liveliness on the shattered dreams of others will keep a black heart, while a devote lathanderite farmer will have a pure heart. This at least in the beginning.

II. III. II. Dedication:

Some haunted are drawn from beyond the grave out of devotion to a task or interest. A learned scholar who has spent her life researching ancient tomes in an effort to decipher a lost language might return to haunt her old library if she died before completing her studies.

II. III. III. Stewardship:

These haunted are seldom truly evil, and they seek only to protect something that was important to them in life. In almost every case, these spirits are anchored to a specific location, person or object.

Stronglimb, the Spirit of the Woodlands (third magnitude haunted) is an example of such a steward. Another would be the Grey Earl, a haunted that ensures that the crypt of his family does not fall victim to grave robbers.

They are quite adamant about their desire to protect the thing to which they are anchored. The most common stewards are those who appear to guard an ancestral estate. These are often the subject of ghost stories.

It is seldom possible to remove these spirits, except by the destruction of the thing they guard.

II. III. IV. Justice:

The haunted seeking justice are almost uniformly good beings. They seek the correction of a wrong. An example is the Witch of Brightdale.

She was a young woman who was cast out from her people. When she returned to them in an effort to plead for reconsideration, she was sentenced to death and promptly beheaded. That night, her spirit returned in the shape of a swirling cloud of sparkling, shimmering dust.

The time passed, and the haunted became more and more troublesome. Valuable objects would vanish or break, horses and dogs would be released and then frightened into flight. In an effort to stem this tide before it would become dangerous, a priest of kelemvor was called.

Using his divine blessings, he contacted the spirit, and under her headless guidance uncovered evidence that cleared her name of any wrongdoing. As soon as this was done, the ghost vanished and was never seen again.

II. III. V. Vengeance:

This is the unresting soul of someone who suffered a great wrong in life. Unable to avenge himself in the mortal world, this apparition rises from the grave to harass or destroy those who maltreated him in life.

It matters little if this wrong has been imagined or not. The desire for revenge burns so strongly in these haunted, that their minds are turned to evil as time passes, including those who in the beginning sought an understandable vindication.

II. III. VI. Curses:

The haunted can be created by the curse of another or a curse created by themselves, forged by their wrongs committed during life. The second is far more terrible than those laid on by an outside party, for there is no quick solution by which the victim may be released from their suffering, as it is suffering they themselves caused.

II. III. VII. Dark Pacts:

Those that seek immortality through unlife are the most heinous of those mentioned above. Willing to make a pact with pure evil such as the fiends of the outer planes, these beings have truly forsaken their humanity.

II. IV. Anchors:

Many spirits are tied to a specific person or place. Some are found haunting a specific item. These are called anchored haunted, for just as a ship's anchor keeps it in place during rough weather, so do the bonds that these ghosts feel for certain things prevent them from ranging afar.

They tend to be extremely aggressive, often becoming territorial and protective of the region or object to which they are secured. Sprits can either be anchored to relationships, places or items.

II. IV. I. Relationships:

This anchor connects a spirit to an individual. This relationship can be adversarial, symbiotic or, though rarely, beneficial. Stewardship over a family or vengeance for a specific person that wronged them are two possibilities.

II. IV. II. Place:

This is likely the most common form of anchor. In most cases the haunted that are bound to a place are stewards, defending their place from desecration or destruction.

II. IV. III. Item:

The item as an anchor of a spirit is perhaps the most uncommon form. These ghosts are attached to a single item. This item must have had great significance for the person in life. This could be caused through the mistake of not burying an item of importance with the body upon death.

III. Powers

The haunted are blessed with many unnatural powers that make them into extremely capable enemies. A haunted of the third or higher magnitude is almost impossible to destroy due to it's ability to rejuvenate from it's defeat.

III. I.Corrupting Gaze:

It has been told in many stories that a man who encountered a haunted returns with paled skin and greyed hair. This is often caused by the ability referred to as the gaze of corruption, draining the life force of any living being.

III. II.Touch of the Haunted:

Passing through a ghost is usually only accompanied with an icy and foreboding sensation. If the haunted however is of ill intend, the unearthly and cursed touch can not only drain the life force of a living being, but also the physical and mental abilities of the victim. It is said that this allows it to feed from it, healing wounds it itself suffered.

III. III.Frightful Presence:

The haunted are known for their frightful moans that shake the courage of the living. This outcry of the cursed spirits is however more than an otherworldly outcry of chilling horror, but a necromantic sonic spell like effect. This is able to cause those near them to lose hope and become convinced that the cause for which they are working is lost, whatever the truth of the situation is.

Their ability to alter their appearance into a horrific grotesque fresque may be one of their most terrifying powers. Any living creature exposed to this can be almost paralyzed, an icy cold draining at their strength, construction and dexterity. This may also cause revulsion to the point a victim may be physically sick.

III. IV.Malevolence:

This is without a doubt the most frightful of the powers of the haunted. By lashing out at a living being, the haunted can inhabit the body and control it. While this is very similar to the arcane incantation named magic jar, there is a significant difference. Namely, that with the arcane variant a crystal is required to be used as a container in which the life energies are "jarred". With the haunted this is not required.

III. V.Telekinesis:

These spirits are also able to focus their energy on an object and cause it to move. The amount of force that one of the haunted can exert in this way is limited. However cases have been mentioned where powerful variants can lift men into the air and hurl them for quite a distance. It is said when this is used, the object moving under the influence of it's power gains a pale blue aura around it.

IV. Vulnerabilities:

As experience has allowed us to understand, some weaknesses are found in all of the haunted, at least to some extent, while others are found only in a particular taintful strain or cursed individual.

IV. I. Holy Water:

Holy water most often has little effect on the haunted due to their power.

IV. II. Turning:

The haunted can be turned by the righteous fury a priest or paladin of the a deity of light can channel. With enough positive energy one can repel or even destroy, at least temporarily, one of these spirits. However, the haunted are especially resistant to these attempts.

IV. III. Magic:

With mundane weapons simply passing through the haunted, magic is certainly the most important weapon in the arsenal against them. If one is to approach such a creature in battle, it is most direly needed.

IV. IV. The Ethernal:

As the haunted are present on the ethernal, or on the ethernal and material plane, summons that are of ethernal nature can harm them. This also speaks true if one were to travel upon the eternal plane oneself.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]