View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 31 2015, 21:11 PM 

Player

The Faith of Tymora

written by Charles 'Chance' Geiger
Priest of Tymora

"The Faith of Tymorrans has always been misunderstood. Some believe we're as likely to jump off a cliff as walk around it. This is simply not true. We believe in luck, we're not idiots." ~Chance Geiger

Preface

I decided to put pen to paper and give a dissertation on my experiences and ideologies of the Tymorran Faith as I was trained to believe and practice it. There are many who might call themselves a Tymorran, though few of even those may understand what that means. Nearly every adventurer at some point at least gives a fleeting thought to Her, but, do they truly know what Her purpose is? Within these pages I hope to expound on Her teachings and duty. In addition, I hope to dispel some myths surrounding the Tymorran Faith.

My experiences as a Tymorran are varied, but suffice to say I was brought into the fold at a relatively young age and trained by Priests and Clerics of Tymora during my teenage years. Since that time I have traveled much of Faerun spreading her word, and luck to others. I ended up living in Ruathym, in the service of Wiltun, as the House Cleric. While this may seem an unlikely place for a Priest of Tymora, I can assure you, Her ideals and goals are well met with much of what happens amongst the people of Caraigh, and Ruathym. Spreading luck and hope to a people so ravaged by fear and a long-standing curse are very much in line with Tymora's teachings, and so, I have the lifelong privilege of bringing hope to the hopeless, and freedom to the enslaved.

Please note, the words written here are my own interpretation and thoughts on the Tymorran Faith and way of Life. There are of course others, and I won't stop them from feeling how they feel, so long as they don't hinder me from spreading what I believe to be the Way of Tymora.

Chapter One

Being a Tymorran

Hearing the name Tymora conjures up images of derring-do, of gamblers and risk takers, of high adventure and equally high risk. While I will agree to some degree, all of those are Tymorran ideals, it is with some amount of temperance that the true Faithful find their way.

Part 1: The idea of risk taking.

Taking a risk is inherent in making a gain in life. Few have ever prospered by always taking the safe route. Most great victories, great successes contained some amount of a risk, or a gamble. It is here that the basis for Tymorran philosophy comes about. A simple way to think of this is, "Tymora helps those that help themselves.". One who is willing to take a risk is worth taking a risk for in her eyes. She might help turn the tides for someone who consistently makes a bold decision to take action. Please note, a bold action does not mean constantly risking life and limb on the premise that Tymora will save you. This is reckless, and destructive behavior, and not in line with her teachings, though there is a sect of her believers that take part in high stakes adventures simply for the thrill of it, believing this is how Her will is served. The idea is controversial at best.

Looking at it from the other perspective, one who does nothing, gains nothing. If they never take a chance or a gamble at anything, Tymora will likely ignore that person, believing they do not wish to gain her smile or her gifts. If they won't make the attempt, why should she help them?

There are those who believe themselves Tymorrans simply because of the various acts and events that occurred in their lives that could have led to their demise, but didn't. This is common, but, not to be confused with Faith. Faith is the belief that Tymora is watching over you, giving the gentle or not so gentle nudge when you need it, a lucky die roll on occasion, favorable winds just when all seems lost, and a soft pile of leaves to land on when you fall. Simply surviving does not make you Tymorran, you have to make the choice of your own accord.

The Bold Decision. This is the area of most contention that I have seen. There is a fine line between bold, and stupid. Sometimes not so fine. For example, rushing headlong into a battle that you know you cannot win without proper preparation on the idea that, "Tymora will save me.", is a sure way to die without her favor. What did you do to deserve her favor in that instance? Should she truly put all her attentions and energies into one who so trivially throws their life away? Common sense is often the dividing line between boldness and stupidity.

Occasionally, there are times when that Bold Decision is life or death, and on some occasions, she will see fit to aid the Believer in that endeavor. Since she is a Goodly Goddess, if the decision is made out of selflessness, she may take favor on it. Still, one should not simply believe she will help, "Just because". Proper planning and preparation are still a vital part of life, even though extremists would have you believe otherwise.

You may be thinking, "How can being bold and taking risks involve planning and preparation? Aren't they opposites of each other?". Well, yes and no. Blindly jumping off a cliff without knowing it's height, or what you might land on is a bold risk, and a needless one. Doesn't it make much more sense to simply look over the edge to know what you're in for before taking the leap? What if the height is too great? What if the landing is onto jagged rocks? Do you still expect Tymora to save you? However, showing a bit of forethought, and leaving the final details to Tymora may instead garner her attention. As stated earlier, a fine line at times.

Part 2: The idea of having Faith

What does it mean to have Faith? To me, it is the belief that Tymora is watching me. She keeps an eye on my actions, making alterations to the outcomes as she sees best. I believe she does this for everyone, just as the rest of the Gods watch over everyone within their own area of duty. The difference between what she does for one of Her Faithful and everyone else is simple. Those not of her faith have no awareness of her steering of their path, though if they make decisions according to her dogma, her will is served and she may smile on them from time to time. They would likely attribute this simply to luck or happenstance, or coincidence, having no idea Tymora had a hand in their fate. The Faithful would understand that good fortune to be her hand at work, seeing her flock thrive. Of course, it's easy to believe she only grants luck and good fortune to those of Her Faithful, but, I don't believe this to be true. Only by extending Herself to all beings can she be recognized by those not of Her Faith. Keeping such gifts exclusive only hampers Her ability to spread Her teachings. It is each God's wish to spread their teachings, gaining new followers along the way, Tymora is no different.

Having Faith is also having understanding of a greater purpose. Meaning if you pray to Her for something, no matter how great or small, expecting Her to provide isn't really in line with true Faith. After all, how can we, as mere mortals, possibly understand what the Gods have in mind? We have our own lives to contend with, and possibly dozens of others that we cooperate with to some extent or another. The Gods deal with millions of lives constantly. That very idea tells me that they truly are superior to us in that respect at least, and the thought that we could possibly conceive of their plan is arrogant at best.

When you pray to Tymora, and she does not grant your wish, quite possibly you would feel slighted. It's only natural to feel that way. After all, you prayed, giving her the honor She deserves, you would think she would return the favor. However, think of it this way, maybe she didn't think that desire was best for you? Or, perhaps she has something greater in mind. Just because she does not grant everything you want, doesn't mean she isn't listening. It's my belief that She also tests her Faithful from time to time. True Faith comes from a deep rooted belief that Tymora has your best interests at heart, no matter what. When things are bleak, and it seems she has forsaken you, that is the time your Faith in her matters most. Lose touch, and she may decide to cast her smile on another, but, hold to your beliefs, and the rewards may be beyond your imagining.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]