View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 22 2016, 18:23 PM 

Player

// Lutra prompted me to write this for research, so there you go

A chapter from „Folklore and fairytale, peculiar stories collected and curated by Algernon Borm“ This book can be found in Cordor, Kohlingen and Winya.

A peculiar story was once retold often in a land whose name has unfortunately been lost to history. It goes like this, with some liberties taken by the author to recombine fragments:

It was late at night when the traveller finished his meal. He got up to his feet, moving to pay the innkeeper, then went to leave the inn. The innkeepers eyes widened. „You should not go out there friend, did you not see that the moon stands high?“ The traveller looked at him, slightly impatient. „What of it? It shall light my way, making my travel, if any, saver then it would be in the dark. I am in great haste and can not waste much time to rest.“ The innkeeper shook his head. „Do you not know? The fey come down from the moon in these nights to hunt any foolish enough to travel on the roads in these times.“ „Hah, do not worry! My horse is fast, I want to see any who think they could keep up with me!“ And with that, before the innkeeper could say another word, he had put his payment down on the table and made his way out with haste.
It did not take long for the horns calls to reach the inn, the other inhabitants shuddering, speaking a silent prayer for the travelers soul. The next morning they found his headless body not far from the village, lying in the middle of a bend. By the tracks it could be discerned that the horse had been tripped up, likely by a rope tied to nearby trees. Whatever it was that he was to carry with him in such haste gone from his body, as were all his other belongings.

Some weeks passed by. Sometimes the fey attacked, sometimes they did not for a few weeks. No one quite new why, only that they never attacked when the moon was not up. Finally the margraves son came up with a bold plan. He knew of a tribe of Fire Giants on the border of the land, which occasionally took hostages and demanded tithes to keep them from attacking. He convinced his father not to pay the tithe, knowing this would draw the Giants ire.
Then he went out one night when the moon was high, with an old mule pulling a cart with a crate on it. The moon illuminated the way in front of him and his heart was beating fast. It was not long before he heard the horn. He pulled his cart to a halt, instantly rising and lifting his hand. „Hear me oh great hunters!“ he called, knowing he had to be fast or his life was gambled away. „I have an offer to make, just hear me and leave me with my life, I give these treasures to you. And I can offer you what I believe you shall desire much, if you will just hear me!“ With that he pulled the crate open, revealing a wealth of gold and jewelry.

A moment of silence followed, then suddenly a blue skinned fey stood in front of the young man, axe in hand. „And what, young mortal, shall this offer be that has you so bold as to challenge us?“ The young man shuddered, but talked on. „I have a hunt for you, that would bring vastly more glory and wealth to yours then hunting and killing and taking from us for a long time. If your tribe vows to leave these lands and its citizens in peace, I will divulge this knowledge.“ The fey starred at him, then released a harsh, cold laugh. „Bold, young human bold. And maybe foolish. I shall leave you with your life for this night. Come the next night when the moon is high to this hill.“ He pointed one out towards the east. „One who shall arbitrate and watch over such a pact will meet you here. But if you have betrayal in mind, you shall wish it was my axes fate you met.“ And with that, he picked up the crate and disappeared in the moonlight.

The young man was frightened, but his determination was unwavering. And so, when the night came, he was standing up on the hill, clad in a thick fur lined coat, looking out into the night. Suddenly a cold breeze seemed to flare up and he noticed slightly startled, that ice crystals had formed on his cloak and even on his brows. Then, without any warning, she stood before him. A woman in a nightblue dress stood in front of him, her bare feet leaving an icy trail on the floor. Her eyes were black, her skin pale. Her hair was of a blonde that almost seemed to go into snowy white, but her face appeared to be one of eternal youth. She eyed him for a few moments. Behind her, a row of the warrior fey stood, their axes on their belts for now.

„Mortal, you have an offer to make?“ Her voice was like a rolling thunderstorm in the young mans ears, he shivered, steadied himself, then replied. „Indeed. A hunt that shall for certain be more satisfying then killing traveling peasants and a reward grand enough to outweigh any gain that could be gathered here.“ He quickly replied. „If you agree to leave these lands and its people be, to no longer raid them, kill them, take from them, I shall divulge this secret to you.“ The woman stared at him. „This agreement will be given under a condition. If your offer does not satisfy, this land shall see the largest hunt this continent has ever known. And the price you shall pay…“ the fingers of her hand brushed over his cheek. „Will be one no one will even dare to think to write a story about.“ she whispered. „And there is the matter of my commission.“ „Your… commission?“ He looked at her, confused. „Indeed, my payment for services rendered. These warriors have already paid their part, now it is up to you.“ She leaned in, whispering something close to his ear. He froze when he heard her words, but agreed. It is not known what this price was. The pact was made and he told them of the Fire Giants, their incoming attack and their dwelling. The woman released a cold laugh, but then agreed that the pact was upheld.

In the following night, the fey and giants fought, with the former victorious, taking the giants horde and disappearing into the moonlight. The lands were save from this point on. What the price the young man paid was, remains unknown, though it is said that on nights when the moon stood high in the sky, he tended to spend time on balconies, looking up into the sky for something.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]