View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 186  Next
Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 17:07 PM 

Player

Simeron wrote:
I had a friend tell me of a build he made he thought was fun...

14 Fighter - WM 16 - Assassin 10. (40 levels I know)

I thought here it might work like this...

14 Fighter - 7 WM - 9 Assassin

Thing is...you lose ALOT of skill points...because your using a ton of cross skills. You need 8 for intimidate (4x2) and 32 for the MS and Hide (8 each x 2)

It does sound pretty deadly once you get rolling though....what do people think?

Looks pretty neat to me. Think it'd work fine.

I can't help but thinking of Ftr 8/WM 7/Ass 15. increases the duration of your spells, higher death attack sneaks and variety of killing techniques.
Although if you wanna be a more sneaky assassin, Rog 3/Ftr 8/Ass 19 would be yummy.

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 17:23 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Ulir wrote:
Naivatkal wrote:
AA build question: 8 wizard/2 rogue/20 AA or 8 wizard/4 fighter/18 AA? Or are both equally good?

Basically, is there any point in going higher than 4th circle spells (for Ice Storm, obviously)?

The first build won't grant you four APR, which is kinda silly considering your ab will be in the 50's. The second one is a bit strange. You won't get disc, tumble or UMD. Rather nasty. The first won't get any decent amount of it either.

If you want to use ice storm, you can pick UMD and use scrolls instead? The spell wont do any real damage, the imbue feat is sort of worthless. I suppose it works on bows with unlimited arrows, which would make it ok, but once you have a few fancy arrows (which is easy to find), you'll forget about imbuing, besides, you can still imbue perfectly with scrolls.

Ah, wasn't aware scrolls would work for imbuning. And is imbuning really that worthless?

Maybe just a cheap bard/Fighter/aa then

Compared to the ordinary but magical arrows you can purchase in stores, I'd say yes. The druid/ranger arrows do 2d6 damage, the Sushibon samples are 1d6 + 3 normally, combining physical and elemental damage. Both are better then imbuing and easy to get your hands on.

There are many fun builds with AA. Ranger 26/Bard 1/AA 3 is actually pretty funny too. Pet powa and ab of 53 is nifty. The damage against favored enemies can even top that of the standard Fighter/Bard/AA. Then there is Bard/Druid/AA, Bard/HS/AA, Monk/Wiz/AA, Wiz/Bard/AA (23 levels on wiz), Cleric/Bard/AA, Bard/PM/AA, AA/AA/AA etc. (although not many variants left) :P

Blackdragon12121

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 17:35 PM 

Player

Yes...yes imbue arrow is that awful.

Simeron

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 17:45 PM 

Player

Arcadence wrote:
Simeron wrote:
14 Fighter - 7 WM - 9 Assassin

Thing is...you lose ALOT of skill points...because your using a ton of cross skills. You need 8 for intimidate (4x2) and 32 for the MS and Hide (8 each x 2)

Assassin has flavor, and a better roster of tweaks on the server (check Classes and Feats under Modifications on the left) but Rogue ends up better in the long run, if you're taking so few levels (and you get Evasion). There's a rogue/fighter/WM on page three.

Starting off level 1 with rogue will give you more skill points as well as let you take Intimidate and forgetting about it. It all depends on what you want to do with the build, but dropping some fighter levels so you can pick up Improved Evasion is likely worth it.

Well, I was thinking more AB and heavy fighting...a brutish enforcer that can and will break a neck if need be. I have the Rogue one already in the works...taking a different slant...worked this up, not sure if everything works out right...but think it does.

I start out Earth Genasi with 18 str so I can get to the 25 str required for dev crit.

Fighter 1st (Exotic Weapons, Weapon Focus B Sword, Power Attack)
Fighter 2nd (Expertise)
Fighter 3rd (Dodge)
Fighter 4th + 1 Dex ((Mobility)
Fighter 5th (2 Intimidate)
Fighter 6th (2 Intimidate - Spring Attack, Whirlwind)
Fighter 7th
Fighter 8th + 1 Str (Weapon Spec Bastard Sword)
Weapon Master 9th (Cleave)
Weapon Master 10th
Weapon Master 11th
Weapon Master 12th + 1 Str (Improved Critical)
Weapon Master 13th
Weapon Master 14th
Weapon Master 15th (Knockdown)
Fighter 16th +1 Str
Fighter 17th (Great Cleave)
Fighter 18th (Improved Knockdown)
Assassin 19th
Assassin 20th +1 Str
Fighter 21st +1 Str (Great Strength, Epic Weapon Focus)
Assassin 22nd
Fighter 23rd
Fighter 24th +1 Str (Overwhelming Critical, Epic Weapon Specialization)
Assassin 25th
Assassin 26th
Assassin 27th +1 Str (Great Strength)
Assassin 28th +1 Str
Assassin 29th
Assassin 30th (Devastating Critical)

Should end with 26 str this way.

Last edited by Simeron on Tue, Sep 13 2011, 18:39 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 17:50 PM 

Player

Imbue Arrow is the opposite of worthless until you're regularly hunting in the +3 bin. Before the high-selling loot sends your income sky-high, you'll be permanently broke even for the modest price of topping up elemental damage arrows, let alone OnHits.

You can imbue arrows with a use/day item, most significantly Sound Blast, since they're cheap as hell. Fireball and Lightning Bolt per day isn't hard to find either.

Sin4given

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 17:58 PM 

Player

Deleting Triple post

Looking to make a new siggy! PM me if you want the challenge.

Last edited by Sin4given on Tue, Sep 13 2011, 18:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Sin4given

Player

Deleting Triple Post

Last edited by Sin4given on Tue, Sep 13 2011, 18:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Sin4given

Player

Okay, putting more thought into the death singer, I was thinking something along the lines of 12bard/2ftr/16BG?

I'm wanting to go the full 16 for BG, and the Bard songs would be very nice to have, as well as add some flavor to him. The Ftr would be in epic levels for the EWS/EWF I'd say.

Another idea was Bard8/SD6/16Bg

A sneaker with HiPs.

I'm thinking with the first one I'd want to be more STR based, not saying dev, but at least hard enough to do damage. My Cha would be a fair number too.

With the second, Dex. Just seemed natural to do that, I'd have no front line ability, but my BG sneaks would make me happy. I'm wanting human as well.

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 18:19 PM 

Player

Simeron wrote:
Build stuff

You can't take weapon spec on a WM level, it needs to be fighter in this case.

I'd also suggest you pick 13 dex from the beginning and save all your feats for strength, and try ending on 26, 28 or 30 base strength.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 18:39 PM 

Player

Sin, can't have Weap Spec or EWS with less than 4 fighter ;)

Re: AA Imbuning
That's what I thought Uce, since paying constantly for things will be costly lol
Pretty much it's good til you can afford to supplant it with better.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Sin4given

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 18:55 PM 

Player

Yea.. it hit me when I posted >_<

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 22:00 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Sin, can't have Weap Spec or EWS with less than 4 fighter ;)

Re: AA Imbuning
That's what I thought Uce, since paying constantly for things will be costly lol
Pretty much it's good til you can afford to supplant it with better.

1d6 fire arrows from the local market will be just as fine until you can use better ones :)

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 22:01 PM 

Player

Quest.. ion.

Does assassin buff spells like int and dex stack with potions, like harper spells do?

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 22:02 PM 

Player

Yes.

Ulir

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 22:08 PM 

Player

Goody, thanks.

BlackestAtrocity

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 13 2011, 23:09 PM 

Player

Vaul Tarrith wrote:

If you go with Air Genasi and the stat distribution listed above, your starting INT would be 18...allowing you to get your DEX to 26 (all level-ups to DEX) AND you could drop Great Dex I for ESF: Hide, or Epic Prowess, or whatever you like.

The character is a ranger.. so an Air Genasi would put him at 9 Wisdom with the mentioned stats.. which is a No No for rangers I believe. 8)

Vaul Tarrith

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 1:27 AM 

Player

Yeah, about that: why not go 8 Fighter / 2 Rogue / 20 Assassin? The AB is the same and you won't be forced to spend 3 attribute points on a Wisdom score you aren't using anyway...and you can take Ambi, TWF, ITWF, WF, and WS for free pre-epic. Even 8 Fighter / 2 Ranger / 20 Assassin may work better. Weapon Spec gives +2 damage on every attack, so maybe an ideal mix-&-match would be 6 Ranger / 4 Fighter / 20 Assassin to get a little Ranger Lovin'? That would get WS and earn you +2 against 2 enemies...I think either option is 'better' mechanically than 10 Ranger / 20 Assassin. You'll still have a smelly Wisdom score...but that ain't the end of the world. Play him as an 'Urban Ranger' with street-smarts: he can't tell you what that deer ate for dinner by studying a clump of turds, but he can spot a burglar casing his next heist at 1000 meters...

Uberuce

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 12:05 PM 

Player

Quote:
1d6 fire arrows from the local market will be just as fine until you can use better ones
They're still a coupla hundred gold a stack, if I remember. I usually went through at least three top-ups per rest interval even down at lowbie with the lower APR, so over the course of a single dungeon crawl you're already in for the same price as the Horn of Blasting, which gives you 1d8 Sonic.

The only fire-vulnerable things at lowbie are the trolls, and you use the beefy 2d8 Fire vs Giants ones for them. They're cheap as hell to ammobag, since Vs Race has a tiny GP cost in the NWN engine. On that note, an miserly AA will incline towards hunting in areas where he or she has the appropriate Vs Race arrows, precisely because they allow you to make a GP profit.

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 13:14 PM 

Player

Hello again, got a question here that bugs me, due to rather sketchy information on Devastating Critical, which is kinda putting my new build on hold.
Quote:
Devastating Critical
It knocks the opponent down for X rounds, along with inflicting Blind, Deafness and Silence for X turns. X is determined by the weapon's base critical hit range:

• Large-sized weapon, 20 : 4
• Other sizes of weapons, 20 : 3
• 19-20 : 2
• 18-20 : 1

The question is... i mean, the hell? Is it sizes or threat ranges then?

What "X" will Heavy Flail, or Two-bladed Sword have? They're both large, but have 19-20.

And what about weapons like Kama or Club? They're small [or, "other sizes of weapons"(?)], but have 20 threat range...

im confus

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 13:23 PM 

Player

Quote:
Devastating Critical
It knocks the opponent down for X rounds, along with inflicting Blind, Deafness and Silence for X turns. X is determined by the weapon's base critical hit range:

• Large-sized weapon, 20 : 4 = X
• Other sizes of weapons, 20 : 3 = X
• 19-20 : 2 = X
• 18-20 : 1 = X

X = The number next to the threat range.

Aka, A scimitar/Rapier/Kukri with a threatrange of 18-20, Will knock down for 1 round.
A longsword will knock down for 2 rounds

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 13:29 PM 

Player

Okay, i guess that would be the logical definition, thanks for clearing it up.

Also, just to make sure: WM'ed Scythe won't be Dev Critting for 5 rounds, am i right?

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 13:48 PM 

Player

Aeqvinox wrote:
Okay, i guess that would be the logical definition, thanks for clearing it up.

Also, just to make sure: WM'ed Scythe won't be Dev Critting for 5 rounds, am i right?

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 14:58 PM 

Player

Allrighty, i think i found something delicious to play, however i am a bit conflicted how to make the final level spread.

It's basically a Drow Fighter14/WM7/Assassin7 at this moment, with a Devestating Critical on a two handed weapon, and the build obviously revolves around taking all the prerequisite feats, and the must-have ones like Imp Crit, so nothing too fancy out there.

There are 2 feats though that can be customized, for now i picked Knockdown and Great Strength I [to end up with 26 STR and a bit earlier Dev Crit].

So here's a real question:

Is keeping the 7 Assassin levels worth it for the sake of increasing Death Attack DC [will be 20 "naked" or 26 with max INT]?

-Or-

Is it too low anyway to paralyze anything up in the epics except on a roll of 1, and it would be wiser to drop Assassin to 5 or even 3 levels, in favor of Fighter and 1-2 extra feats (like Epic Prowess, Armor Skin, Imp. Knockdown, Epic Will/Fort)?

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 16:18 PM 

Player

On a completely different note, this thread could really use a buff to a separate (sub)section, as it has reached a quite hot status of 500 posts in a month.

It's getting messy in here, right now i have posted a question about the same build that someone else was asking about earlier, and there's questions and answers to several different builds intertwined between them. You can be sure that people will be asking questions about things already answered here in the future. If the builds would have separate topics and discussions, would be much easier to browse the material.

Same thing probably would benefit The Lore Question Thread.

Just my 2 cents.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 16:43 PM 

Player

That's how it works - Just keep asking the same question, over and over.
The team doesn't feel that we need a build subforum

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 16:55 PM 

Player

One more thing i want to ask. I've read in a different thread a player mentioning, that the DC's on special attacks from assassin tools are increasing the more assassin levels you get.

Is this true?

BlackestAtrocity

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 17:08 PM 

Player

Assassin DC is 10 + Assassin level + Int Modifier

(The Assassin Tools DC is the same as the Death Attack DC, so yes.)

Blackdragon12121

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 18:17 PM 

Player

Aeqvinox wrote:
Allrighty, i think i found something delicious to play, however i am a bit conflicted how to make the final level spread.

It's basically a Drow Fighter14/WM7/Assassin7 at this moment, with a Devestating Critical on a two handed weapon, and the build obviously revolves around taking all the prerequisite feats, and the must-have ones like Imp Crit, so nothing too fancy out there.

There are 2 feats though that can be customized, for now i picked Knockdown and Great Strength I [to end up with 26 STR and a bit earlier Dev Crit].

So here's a real question:

Is keeping the 7 Assassin levels worth it for the sake of increasing Death Attack DC [will be 20 "naked" or 26 with max INT]?

-Or-

Is it too low anyway to paralyze anything up in the epics except on a roll of 1, and it would be wiser to drop Assassin to 5 or even 3 levels, in favor of Fighter and 1-2 extra feats (like Epic Prowess, Armor Skin, Imp. Knockdown, Epic Will/Fort)?

Build wise its not worth it keeping the 7 Assassin levels. Get the extra feats. Still, looks like it'd be fun to play!

If you intend to keep assassin levels you'll be fishing for 1's in epic.

Ulir

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 18:24 PM 

Player

Vaul Tarrith wrote:
Yeah, about that: why not go 8 Fighter / 2 Rogue / 20 Assassin? The AB is the same and you won't be forced to spend 3 attribute points on a Wisdom score you aren't using anyway...and you can take Ambi, TWF, ITWF, WF, and WS for free pre-epic. Even 8 Fighter / 2 Ranger / 20 Assassin may work better. Weapon Spec gives +2 damage on every attack, so maybe an ideal mix-&-match would be 6 Ranger / 4 Fighter / 20 Assassin to get a little Ranger Lovin'? That would get WS and earn you +2 against 2 enemies...I think either option is 'better' mechanically than 10 Ranger / 20 Assassin. You'll still have a smelly Wisdom score...but that ain't the end of the world. Play him as an 'Urban Ranger' with street-smarts: he can't tell you what that deer ate for dinner by studying a clump of turds, but he can spot a burglar casing his next heist at 1000 meters...

3 rogue is for uncanny dodge and another +1d6 sneak damage. I have no idea what post you are referring to, but since I was the only one mentioning the Rogue 3/Fighter 8/Assassin 19 it might be me. Cheerio

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 18:53 PM 

Player

Blackdragon12121 wrote:
Build wise its not worth it keeping the 7 Assassin levels. Get the extra feats. Still, looks like it'd be fun to play!

If you intend to keep assassin levels you'll be fishing for 1's in epic.

Ehh, technically it's possible to go up for Assassin9... +2 DC, 1d6 sneak dice more but losing Knockdown or Exotic.

I mean, if i sneak up to something and attack it - that's 2 attacks in the first flurry:

- The target is going to roll fortitude 2 times vs Death Attack, DC 28
- The target is going to roll Reflex/Will 1 time [or twice?] vs Kneecapper/Blade of Terror, DC 28
- And it will be praying that the Dev Crit doesn't trigger; if it does, DC 38.

To sum this up, this build has Dev Crit at a not-so-high, but decent DC of 38 -AND- it forces you to roll additional dices vs not getting owned with something you might not have the strongest saving throws for.
Playing a simple Dev Critter with tumble dump will be a point-and-click type of build, not fun in my book *sadface*.

So is death attack/special attacks with DC 28 really that bad?

>>>
If it is, how about a Shadowdancer instead? It's a tumble dump class too... no UMD though, but at least Evasion.

I'm asking as someone who has never played this class before, and so i have no idea how HiPS fares in combat. Would it be a viable option for PvM?

Ulir

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 19:58 PM 

Player

The special death attack only triggers once per turn (10 rds) as far as I understand from the Classes and Feats section.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 14 2011, 21:05 PM 

Player

DC 28 will be fine.

Vaul Tarrith

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2011, 0:50 AM 

Player

Ulir wrote:
Vaul Tarrith wrote:

3 rogue is for uncanny dodge and another +1d6 sneak damage. I have no idea what post you are referring to, but since I was the only one mentioning the Rogue 3/Fighter 8/Assassin 19 it might be me. Cheerio

I was actually replying to the post directly above the one you quoted by BlackestAtrocity regarding a 10 Ranger / 20 Assassin build on page 10. Quite a few Assassin builds in rotation here...

Arcadence

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2011, 17:30 PM 

Player

I'm assuming things like the lute you can get in [blank] aren't a reskin of a specific weapon type (it seems to say weapon type tool), which would dash my hopes of making some kind of El Kabong bard right?

Uberuce

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2011, 17:44 PM 

Player

Aren't they torches?

Falling Spider

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2011, 18:58 PM 

Player

I think they do like 1d6 damage but I don't know. I know they're main hand items so technically weapons.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2011, 23:29 PM 

Player

What's the feasibility of a Bard 9/BG 16/CT 5 (post hak, of course).

Viable, iffy, or Cheetos brand (ie dangerously cheesy)?

It seems like it might be pretty powerful. Alternatively, can swap a few BG levels for more CT

I was also considering exchanging the 5 CT for 5 KC. Might be pretty rowdy, eh?

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 15 2011, 23:58 PM 

Tester

imho low level bards are a waste of space. Do 9 ranger! Then you actually get something awesome out of it!

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 0:04 AM 

Player

Yeah, I -guess-. Gawd!

Nah the Bard was for the sexy song he/she can sing whilst stabbing people to their hearts content. Ranger would work, too. I didn't set much on bard, really, was the first thing that came to my mind.

I think for the Bard it would make more sense with the KC. Aura effects and songs and BG evilness and all, oh my.

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 0:07 AM 

Player

9 Bard is pretty weak.

MoshingChris

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 1:59 AM 

Player

9 Monk or 9 Rogue would work better.

Arcadence

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 4:25 AM 

Player

30 bard seems to be fine, and I've put off making one since NWN came out. Problem is, I have no idea how you're supposed to build the damn thing. Str doesn't seem like it'd work too well, dex wouldn't have the damage, and caster ... dunno.

I really don't know where to start with this.

MoshingChris

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 5:21 AM 

Player

For a Human Pure Bard I generally suggest:

14 STR (Raise to 20)
14 DEX
14 CON
8 WIS
14 INT
14 CHA (Raise to 16)

Feats: Curse Song, Extend Spell, Maximise Spell, Martial Weapon Prof, Weapon Focus, Imp Critical, Great Fort, Blindfight

Epic: Great Str 1, Epic Fort, Armor Skin, Epic Weapon Focus
Bard: Epic Skill focus Perform, Epic Skill Focus Discipline, Lasting Inspiration

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 15:11 PM 

Player

Quick question:

Can the Keen Weapon spell be casted on a non-slashing weapon?

Or can the Keen property be applied to a non-slashing weapon?

I'm thinking about Heavy Flail, 2 handed 1d10, 19-20/x2 bludgeoning.

-Cloak-and-Dagger-

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 15:33 PM 

Player

Keen Edge won't work on that, no.

Blade Thirst will. So will Mythal Crafting.

Arcadence

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 18:00 PM 

Player

How badly is an ECL race going to hurt pure bard? I wouldn't think losing 1 dodge bonus from bard song would be that bad.

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 18:09 PM 

Player

You'll be fine.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 18:25 PM 

Player

Just seems a bit anticlimactic. Personally I'd hate myself for geting so close, and yet so far. Might as well get some frontloaded juice after Bard25.

Simeron

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 16 2011, 20:50 PM 

Player

Looking for ideas and input into a dwarven defender build.

Basically, I am thinking Fighter/DD/WM or Fighter/Cleric/DD.

I'm leaning more to the F/C/DD to be honest.

No rogue levels in the build....could possibly substitute Ranger or Druid and get a bear for animal companion...like the thought of the bear/dwarf hunter from WoW but, certainly not in love with it.

Weapons of choice are Warhammer/Tower Shield and Heavy Crossbow with Rapid Reload.

The concept is an explorer that has medical training (heal) and is a highly disciplined fighter.

Jobs: Weapon Smith (2), Armor Smith (2),, Goldsmith (1), Refiner (1), Miner (1), Prospector (1).

If cleric: Claggeddin Silverbeard Domains Good and War and GOLD Dwarf.

Uberuce

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 17 2011, 5:58 AM 

Player

Wait till Master Scout is live. It looks explorergasmic with Cleric20/DwD5/MS5.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 186  Next