View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 186  Next
Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 19:49 PM 

Player

Or Wizard27/Rogue2/Ranger1 since Automatic Still Spell is silly with all the decent 0% ASF mails around. Three more epic spells and a more functional metamagic feat for the price of 2 AC is definitely worth it. Also, in the chain you make one strategic mage-sneak. Trust me, there are plenty of people who totally neglect Spot and Listen.

But if you're intrigued about Wizzypoo/KC, it is viable. KC's Ordnance Support aura meshes extremely well with caster and you're not gimped by being a Wizard and having CHA +5 since CHA is at the moment easily the least difficult ability to max. Ultimately your only worry is being dispelled, which will utterly obliterate you. For full tanky caster, I would opt for Wizard25/KC5. Otherwise it'd be wiser just to go 26/4 as KC5 doesn't net you any personal improvement besides enhancing the stances you already have, but Vehement Charge and Shield Ally are insanely good for your party. Shield Ally used to be a semi-broken tool as an instant feat, meaning it didn't interrupt any action and could be spammed continuously. I bet they fixed that along with the makeover of the class, though. Going full EDR and screwing AC is also a route worth considering; it contributes to not ever being interrupted as DR is factored in to Concentration throws and KC's Barricade of Swords provides nice syngergy while stacking with your other spell shields, such as Acid Cheat.

Bini

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 20:01 PM 

Player

Full EDR is not a route worth considering as the requirement is too steep and the benefit too little and too iffy. The enormous base constitution itself has more merit than the reduction and the damage shields will always lag behind a rogue's sneaks or any other melee classes crits.

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 20:03 PM 

Player

Silly-ow-ow-punching-back worth considering, I meant.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 20:03 PM 

Player

Actually, 24 wiz/5 kc/1 rogue wouldn't be bad, either. If you want tumble/umd of course. 25 wiz gets the best flame weapon improvement, though.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 21:56 PM 

Player

26 is the magic number for dispelling? So basically, going KC means giving it up. 26 is also a bonus feat. Are there other magic numbers to hit for a wizard?

I am not interested in stealth, I'll rather spend points on more unusual utility/social skills I think.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 22:03 PM 

Tester

24 is magic dispel number.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 22:14 PM 

Player

IronAngel wrote:
26 is the magic number for dispelling? So basically, going KC means giving it up. 26 is also a bonus feat. Are there other magic numbers to hit for a wizard?

I am not interested in stealth, I'll rather spend points on more unusual utility/social skills I think.

Hngh. I hate you. Every number is a magic number for Wizard, they just serve different purposes.

Cerpin Taxt

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 22:31 PM 

Player

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
IronAngel wrote:

Hngh. I hate you. Every number is a magic number for Wizard, they just serve different purposes.

It's 24. You can go 24/5/whatever

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 23:47 PM 

Player

As far as metamagics go, what's the best third choice after Extend and Maximize? Should I pick up Silent/Still (the choice here seems cosmetic) or Empower for spellbook management?

How about this:
15/5 Wizard/KC -> 24/5/1 Wizard/KC/Rogue

12 Str
8 Dex
14 Con
17 (24) Int
10 Wis
13 Cha

Discipline Focus
Toughness
Extend Spell
Maximize Spell
3rd Metamagic (Empower/Still/Silent?)
Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus: Evocation, Enchantment, Conjuration

Armor Skin
Epic Spell Focus: Evocation, Enchantment
Epic Mage Armor
Mummy Dust
Greater Ruin

Maxed Concentration, Listen, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble and UMD. Taunt maxed at last KC level pre-epic. Points to spare for Lore or Discipline and miscellaneous.

Are the three school foci worthwhile? I'm not exactly sure how much they will overlap in my book. Would it be smart to invest more into Intelligence? Am I missing something essential? In what respects is this weaker than the proposed 26/2/2 Wis/Rog/Ftr or 27/2/1 Wiz/Rog/Rngr? Is there any reason to take Spot and Listen without a Wisdom build or skill foci?

I think I will specialize in Divination for RP reasons and because it's fun/useful to have slots to spare on an offensive caster. Everyone has access to Improved Invisibility and I can buy wands or potions. There's nothing else in Illusion, except Color Spray (which is probably the best lvl 1 spell, though) and Mass Blindness/Deafness (which is made obsolete by Sunburst, isn't it?). The early lack of Invisibility hurts, though.

I imagine the central spells I'll be stocking are:
I Grease
II Web, Cloud of Bewilderment
III Stinking Cloud
IV Evard's, Confusion
V Hold Monster, Interposing Hand
VI Mass Haste, Forceful Hand
VII Grasping Hand, Great Thunderclap
VIII Clenched Fist, Sunburst
IX Dominate Monster, Crushing Hand

And buffs, of course. But there are so many buffers in this game that I can probably afford to use debuffs and bolster the team with KC abilities.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Bini

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 1:31 AM 

Player

You have one too many epic feats and you should dip into the negatives in wisdom before leaving charisma at an odd value.

If you're building this on a human use your racial bonus feat on silent spell (I assume mostly because it sounds like a war wizard from Cormyr).

You don't need to max listen and spot and the superior choice is spot. You must max discipline or at least make a point of investing generously into it.

Taking spot on a wisdom deficient and skill foci-less is perfectly okay, you just won'r be on the extreme end of bell curve with the clerics and elves, but instead in the upper middle catching all, but those who have invested their whole build into stealth. You're not missing anything essential, but in most cases if you intend to wear a full plate and a tower shield you want at least 14 strength, as encumbrance can be a dangerous thing in a fight if you're dispelled or crippling-striked. It is weaker than either of the suggested builds simply because it is statistically inferior in all respects, as rather than taking classes which expand the feat choices, it invests ability points, a skill, feats, and caster levels towards picking up a new bag of tricks. Neither is superior in all circumstances, you'll just have to find a way to use the unusual kit the character has to the fullest.

i don't think you should worry about spells too much right now as a wizards strength comes mostly from being able to prepare a particular spellbook for a particular situation while drawing from every spell there is in the NWN sorcerer/wizard spellbook.

You should put some spell foci in divination if you're going to specialize in it for roleplay reasons, as otherwise it is like only making half a cake. Shadow shield is a painful spell to lose, but that's your prerogative. I'd also suggest not taking an epic focus in enchantment and instead passing it over to conjuration or a more deserving school, as if you can't have all three, it is better to have an extended duration conjuration EMD and +2 DC to all the conjuration saves than +2 to all the enchantment saves.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 9:41 AM 

Player

I struggle to find a reason, IC or otherwise, to focus in Divination because the school has no DCs. A wizard knows this. Spending time on learning to direct his Clairvoyance and Premonition offensively seems contrived, whereas specializing is already much greater of a sacrifice. But yeah, there's always Scrying. I'll have to think about it and what to replace. There isn't a single extra feat in that list, unless I give up focus in another school or drop the third metamagic. I'm happy with the impression of eating half the cake, though: his dual patrons are Savras and Red Knight, he's all about seeing clearly and then acting prudently. So he's supposed to divide his attention between divination and tactical combat spells.

I forgot all about Shadow Shield, which is handy on a tank. However, EMA already gives +5 Nautral AC all day long so it won't stack once I get it. But it's the only immunity to death affects a wizard gets, right? That would mean counting on a Death Ward wand. Do wands have the caster level of the user like potions? Don't think so?

That's the epic feats I got when I tested it, so I'm pretty sure the number is correct. 4 general epic feats, and a bonus feat at Wiz 20 and 24.

Isn't an odd value generally good for something you want to max up to a cap? I'm shooting for 20 Charisma, so 13 is better than 12, and 14 doesn't make much of a difference. That's what I learned from building bards, anyway: always leave your Dex at 13 if you're using chain. A maxed Eagle's will leave me at 18, requiring +2 from gear. 14 seems awkward, since it's probably easier to find high-end gear with +2 Cha than +1? No idea. But yes, I am iffy about that Str score too. Could be buffed. This dude won't have Automatic Still Spell though, so he'd wear a bit lighter armor and a large shield I believe? I don't know if there's full plate and tower shields with 0ASF. 9 Wisdom, 12 Charisma, 14 Strength?

So just Spot? Alright. I didn't bother calculating the poins completely, so I will probably have extra to get a high Listen after Discipline too. Unless I pick up Heal or Lore.

What does it matter if I pick my Silent/Still spell as my racial bonus feat? I picked Skill Focus and Toughness at lvl 1 and the last metamagic later in the test build. Of course, getting it early is nice so no complaints there, but I think it only matters that I don't use a Wizard bonus feat for it (and rather pick a Spell Focus)?

Conjuration EMDs are more useful than the elemental? I have no flavor preference at the moment, I'll have to find something cool to reskin into, anyway. I had accepted the possibility of going Earth or Air Elemental, so I didn't need Conjuration for that. I picked Enchantment on the basis of available spells: I imagine using Dominate Monster, and there's nothing near that level in Conjuration. The last Conjuration spells to use frequently are Evard's and Stinking Cloud, but Evard's is the same level as Confusion (also hilarious). I do realize Evard's is better in PvP with Mindblanks, though.

One more thing: does the pseudodragon still have BioWare True Seeing? I want to reskin it into that flying eye thing in the HAK if so, because it looked amazing. Otherwise I'll just reskin a DR/tank familiar into a toad. Or raven into an eagle.

Bini

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 9:59 AM 

Player

Well, aside from feeble-mind (which is a potent disable to counter fellow-wizards) divination has no other save-based spells yes, but the Amian changes are really quite attractive to a tank spellcaster with only a smaller investment in detection skills.

Oh silly me... I've done it on every wizard of mine and I forget the fun trick of pushing 20 into epic. That accounts for the other feat as well, then.

I would think those scores will serve you best in the long run, because with time you might even be lucky enough to accrue gear that will let you reach the 12+ cap on charisma.

Well, as it turns out you don't actually have the racial feat left as a derped, you don't have to worry about it anymore. The benefit in having still or silent spell though is being able to bump a duration-less spell up a level, which is something that shouldn't be disregarded as useful.

The elemental EMD is kind of meh damage wise, though as I understand it they are supposedly being reworked right now and that could go either way, really.

It stiill does.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 10:53 AM 

Player

Oooh! I didn't know there were changes to Divination focus. That is awesome. Aaah, now I want it! It still caps at 50, so going epic certainly seems too much. But getting 24 or 28 from spells makes gearing up very easy. But I can ditch the Enchantment foci altogether, because there's really only two amazing offensive spells in the school.

Reworked:
15/5 Wizard/KC -> 24/5/1 Wizard/KC/Rogue

14 Str
8 Dex
14 Con
17 (24) Int
9 Wis
12 Cha

1 W Toughness, SF: Discipline
2 W
3 W Extend Spell
4 W
5 W SF: Conjuration
6 W GSF: Conjuration
7 W
8 W
9 W SF: Evocation
10 W GSF: Evocation
11 W
12 W SF: Divination
13 W
14 KC
15 KC Maximize Spell
16 KC
17 KC
18 W GSF: Divination
19 W Still Spell
20 KC
21 W Armor Skin
22 W
23 W
24 W ESF: Evocation
25 W ESF: Conjuration
26 W
27 W EMD
28 W EMA
29 R
30 W Greater Ruin

33 Concentration
33 Spellcraft
30 Tumble
25 UMD (should be enough for anything with positive Charisma?)
32 Spot
23 Discipline
23 Taunt
41 leftover; Lore and Heal are both always nice, if Listen is not worth it. It's not enough to go for Stealth.

Cerpin Taxt

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 11:35 AM 

Player

Why are you doing all 5 pre epic? Don't you want discipline?

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 11:38 AM 

Player

Cerpin Taxt wrote:
Why are you doing all 5 pre epic? Don't you want discipline?

Dunno. Never gave it much thought, except to max saves and BAB (which I won't even use). Aaand I didn't actually check the save tables to see if it's worthwhile. Yeah, I suppose there's no reason not to stall the last KC to late epics, just not a feat level.

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 11:56 AM 

Player

I'd opt for either Silent or Quicken spell as your fourth metamagic feat. Still spell has a rather long list of disabled spells (that is, spells you cannot cast stilled) and either way, Quicken and Silent are the superior options because they actually do something as Still only allows you to ignore ASF, which is moot anyway since you'll be wearing a 0% ASF chain or half-plate anyway. And yus, your UMD is good to go. Sprinkle your leftovers into Taunt and Discipline and take KC5 at 30 preferably (entails you have to take Armour Skin at 30 also since KC is not a caster class).

You won't be the mightiest caster of all; any mage with a higher CL is sort of bound to laulaa sinut suohon, but I hope your KC abilities will make up for that. However, you won't suffer from not being able to penetrate enemy SR owing to your Ordnance Support, so all in all, avoid caster duels.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 12:25 PM 

Player

You need exactly 25 UMd to use everything on the server.

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 13:46 PM 

Player

The Mummy Dust elemental is fine now, actually. I use it myself and it used to suffer from being weak, but its damage got upgraded a few updates back and now it hits stronger than wet tissue.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 13:56 PM 

Player

Does the elemental have some obvious air powers, or can it be easily reskinned to another elemental? He's probably more of an earth type.

Construct would be most appropriate since Red Knight's followers seem to employ chess piece golems and other things like that. A Ruby Golem is very fitting, but he's not a transmuter so that won't work. (Can always reskin the neutral Summon Creature IX, I guess.)

But who knows, RP might take him in a completely different direction before I reach 27 or whenever it is I'm getting EMD. Epic foci in Evocation and Conjuration seem obvious now that I swapped Enchantment for Divination, anyway.

As I understand it, Magical Beast is DPS, neutral Outsider is an AC tank, Elemental is... DPS with immunities? Construct is probably pretty tanky. Do they synergize with particular play styles? I'm a tank myself, some a supportive DPS role might be appropriate. Are they vulnerable to the owner's AoE CC? If I'm spamming Thunderclaps, Sunbursts and smelly clouds, that is pretty relevant.

Last edited by IronAngel on Sun, Feb 24 2013, 14:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 13:57 PM 

Player

Nope, all the Mummy Dust summons have pretty generic abilities so that they can be reskinned.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 14:05 PM 

Player

Oops, forgot I posted it. Edited a bunch more in. Not sure how much of this should be "find out in game" but I'm neurotic about thinking the theme through to the end.

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 17:12 PM 

Player

That single Spell Focus in Divination is not going to help you one bit mechanically on the battlefield, so unless you're really keen on taking it for the sake of flavor i'd consider a different feat - like Skill Focus: Listen perhaps? Armor Skin could be changed to Epic Skill Focus: Listen and you'd make him quite a vigilant bugger. Detection skills are never a waste.

Your AC with Armor Skin is going to be ~58, so it's a range in which this feat is useful. But then again, is that extra 10% chance to be missed, considering 50% concealment and Premonition, really worth it?

Personally i would be considering a Skill focus in Discipline, Concentration, Listen or even Taunt, because they give you a +50% benefit in their respective defensive roles, rather than the arguably meaningful 10% on AC.

Other than that, definitely a decent build. I have a Wiz/KC myself and truth be told, KC is the greatest gift so far bestowed upon casters by the devs <3

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 17:26 PM 

Player

Wbat are you talking about? Where do you get those numbers exactly? Iron doesn't even have Listen let alone the feats available for such details. 50% concealment is reduced to 25% from Blindfight which is a standard feat for all non-casters on Amia (although I assert it still a good percentage). Also, the Divination spell school has been modified on Amia so that the spells become more potent with respect to spell focusing. By the way, I noticed you haven't got Empower spell in your arsenal, which is extremely useful for the continuous spam of Evocation spells. I'd only focus in two schools, and unless I've missed some modifications, Conjuration isn't worthwhile for arcane spell casters at all on Amia.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 18:00 PM 

Player

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
I'd only focus in two schools, and unless I've missed some modifications, Conjuration isn't worthwhile for arcane spell casters at all on Amia.

Grease, Web, Stinking Cloud, Evard's Black Tentacles and Planar Binding (arbitrary +2 to DC apparently). Conjuration seems to have the greatest number of AoE CC and on paper they all seem incredibly useful. A level 1 spell knocking down an entire spawn from a distance?

If they're actually suboptimal and there's really only one viable spellbook configuration, that sort of defeats the purpose of a crowd-controller specialized in tactical battlefield management. There's only three spells in Evocation: Bewildering Cloud, Thunderclap and Sunburst (the latter two being the best in the game, though). I'm pretty quickly out of spells. (EDIT: Oh yeah and Bigbies, whichever of them use the normal DC.)

If you think four metamagic feats are worth it and will be regularly utilized, I suppose I could drop the Greater focus in Divination. That means -4 Spot, basically (though if I reach the cap with gear it won't matter).

Aeqvinox

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 18:21 PM 

Player

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Wbat are you talking about? Where do you get those numbers exactly? Iron doesn't even have Listen let alone the feats available for such details. 50% concealment is reduced to 25% from Blindfight which is a standard feat for all non-casters on Amia (although I assert it still a good percentage).

I get those numbers, the 10% chance to miss exactly, from the fact that 2 points of armor class affect a d20 roll by 2 points, which translates to 10%. And yes, Blind Fight is obvious, but not everything has it, definitely not monsters. And even 25% concealment is still, as you said, a decent chance to miss.

Keep in mind this is a wizard, if you're considering pvp, and Iron said he wants a disabler/crowd control - if people get anywhere near him, something went wrong.

And he does indeed have Listen as KC class skill. Iron even mentioned it in his skill allocation.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Also, the Divination spell school has been modified on Amia so that the spells become more potent with respect to spell focusing.

Yeah but, what are you going to do with an odd +2 spot in your +50 skill cap? Or 2 - 17 hitpoints of margin on Power Words? Dude seriously.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Conjuration isn't worthwhile for arcane spell casters at all on Amia.

It's not, but it's always something. High DC Grease is still gonna knock people down, even if they have Freedom.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 18:31 PM 

Player

Well, the most obvious use for Divination focus is the DC on Scrying. And I certainly expect to use the various forms of Scrying relatively frequently with DM help. Wouldn't be much point in making a diviner otherwise, and I assume DMs will calculate the DC properly. I think there are other divinations available to wizards to discern facts about people that allow for a save. If he's an investigator, Detect Thoughts and Probe Thoughts will probably also be useful.

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 18:53 PM 

Player

IronAngel wrote:
Uncle-Opustus wrote:
I'd only focus in two schools, and unless I've missed some modifications, Conjuration isn't worthwhile for arcane spell casters at all on Amia.

Grease, Web, Stinking Cloud, Evard's Black Tentacles and Planar Binding (arbitrary +2 to DC apparently). Conjuration seems to have the greatest number of AoE CC and on paper they all seem incredibly useful. A level 1 spell knocking down an entire spawn from a distance?

If they're actually suboptimal and there's really only one viable spellbook configuration, that sort of defeats the purpose of a crowd-controller specialized in tactical battlefield management. There's only three spells in Evocation: Bewildering Cloud, Thunderclap and Sunburst (the latter two being the best in the game, though). I'm pretty quickly out of spells. (EDIT: Oh yeah and Bigbies, whichever of them use the normal DC.)

If you think four metamagic feats are worth it and will be regularly utilized, I suppose I could drop the Greater focus in Divination. That means -4 Spot, basically (though if I reach the cap with gear it won't matter).

Due to the low spell level of Conjuration spells they largely rely on the arbitrary 1's anyway in both PvP and PvM. Aim for the high level spells so you can effectively penalise your opponents for not properly maxing their saves. I would personally rate Illusion above Conjuration in terms of spell focuses owing to Illusion's high-end spells such as Weird and Mass Blindness/Deafness. And Evocation is freakin' awesome, why not just use the boom-boom-ouch spells as you won't even have the inconvenience of a limited amount of accessible spells Sorceror and Bard have?

Aeqvinox, most monsters do have Blindfight. The dev team wouldn't want spell casters and UMD'ers to have an even further advantage than they already have. And you cannot calculate +2 AC to be equivalent to 10% because then you postulate that no-one will ever hit you unbuffed or with AB over 48. Anyway, the percentages don't count, +2 AC is good no matter how you look at it.

Anyhow, I'd rather concentrate on increasing the DCs of the spells that have a high spell level. People stop counting their saves roughly at 38, which makes them immune to anything but 1s for other spells than the ones you max the hell out of. Naturally not all classes and builds can have all of their saves contemporally enhanced, but smart people keep a separate gear for mages that sacrifices AC for higher saves and unbuffed high AB and damage.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 19:31 PM 

Player

Well, Epic Focus on Evocation is already a given so not sure I can focus on that more. Except by taking two Great Intelligence feats, but that means giving up an epic spell or Armor Skin. But I'm more interested in PvM. I haven't participated in tryhard PvP since my drow days, and even then only half a dozen times. The opportunity never seems to arise. That's why optimizing for PvP seems unproductive: I will be part of a DM event/interaction where I want to use utility spells much more often than I will be part of a PvP situation, if current experience is anything to go by. So even in the most calculating, straightforward perspective, the former takes precedence. (Which means Divination in this case.)

Do monsters really have such broken saves that a level 3 spell won't affect them even if you have a focus? That's pretty retarded. A level 3 Conjuration spell with Epic Focus has the same DC as an unfocused level 9 spell. And a level 9 spell damn well should work on anything in PvP with more than a 5% probability.

10+13+6+spell level is my Conjuration formula. So yeah, 38 for level 9 spells and 30 for level 1. Saves in the 30s are pretty unreasonable in PvM, aren't they?

Izzzt

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 19:43 PM 

Player

Hey there, everybody, I ain' dead. Had a few character ideas kicking around in my noggin, but sheeeesh, I'm terrible at making builds. Or powergaming. Or... Well, just about everything sans character development. So who wants to help me not suck!?

Any build suggestions for a weapon master (either longsword or b. sword), preferably a 'mundane' character (IE: no spellcasting levels). Shouldn't be terribly difficult, but I'd manage to muck it up somewhere. Thinkin', most likely, a human.

Bini

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 19:56 PM 

Player

Conjuration isn't weak, it just falls off early as many of the higher level spells are summons. This is a nifty quality of the school in fact, as evocation has its most powerful spells in levels 7,8,9 and you really wouldn't want to have to choose between slotting a thunderclap or something else.

Bini wrote:
Abilities at Character Creation:

Strength: (17~18)+8
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 12~
Intelligence: 13~
Wisdom: 8~
Charisma: 8~

Level Progression:

1) Fighter, Dodge, Mobility, Expertise
2) Fighter, Weapon Focus: ~
3) Fighter, Power Attack
4) Fighter, Weapon Specialization: ~, +1 Strength
5) Fighter
6) Fighter, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack (Intimidate must be at 4 ranks for next level)
7) Weaponmaster
8) Weaponmaster, +1 Strength
9) Weaponmaster, Improved Critical: ~
10) Weaponmaster
11) Weaponmaster
12) Weaponmaster, Cleave, +1 Strength
13) Weaponmaster
14) Weaponmaster
15) Weaponmaster, Great Cleave
16) Weaponmaster, +1 Strength
17) Fighter
18) Fighter, Blind Fight, Knockdown
19) Fighter
20) Fighter, Improved Knockdown, +1 Strength
21) Fighter, Great Strength I
22) Rogue
23) Weaponmaster
24) Fighter, Epic Weapon Focus: ~, Epic Weapon Specialization: Scimitar, +1 Strength
25) Weaponmaster
26) Weaponmaster, Overwhelming Critical: ~
27) Weaponmaster, Epic Prowess
28) Weaponmaster, +1 Strength
29) Rogue
30) Weaponmaster, Armor Skin, Devastating critical: ~

Skills (144 Skill-points to invest)

4 Intimidate (must be taken cross-class)
33 Discipline
30 Tumble
26 Use Magic Device
33 Spot
14Extra

Herr Delta Houdini

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 19:57 PM 

Player

12/16/2 fighter/wm/rogue is the most common, usually. 10/19/1 I like, myself.

Bini

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 20:05 PM 

Player

1 ab and 3 uses of ki damage aren't worth evasion and epic weapon specialization.

Captain Morgan

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 20:19 PM 

Player

Few questions about shifters.

Does unarmed weapon focus, improved critical, epic weapon focus work with shapes with a creature weapon?

Does a shifter benefit from spell penetration or spell foci?

treant13

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 20:30 PM 

Player

Shifter Question answers

1.) Weapon focus doesn't work for shapes (unless amia has changed default NWN feat merging)
2.) Unarmed critical does work, not sure about epic, but I would guess no.

Shifter does benefit from spell penetration since shifters usually lack a way to lower resistances. Spell foci is usually a feat built into the forms that use them. Though I believe it is only spell focus, not greater.

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 20:54 PM 

Player

IronAngel wrote:
Do monsters really have such broken saves that a level 3 spell won't affect them even if you have a focus? That's pretty retarded. A level 3 Conjuration spell with Epic Focus has the same DC as an unfocused level 9 spell. And a level 9 spell damn well should work on anything in PvP with more than a 5% probability.

Nah, of course not. My Illusion-focused Sorcerer could daze half a spawn with his level 1 Colour spray at the Frozen Wastes. And Grease worked out all right as well, but the annoying thing is that your summons fall flat on their arses as well so I didn't really bother using it all that much. It is situational, though when you go to the most trying hunting grounds, you'll come to see that hardly anything will have an effect except for your Sunburst and smelly clouds and such. Evard's Black Testicles would be stellar for PvM, but most monsters even pre-epic have their Fort saves soaring sky-high so once again you will have to rely on the arbitraty 1s even if you invest in it. Same goes for Stinking Cloud, alas. Otherwise Dev would be (or have been) too strong and the casters are at large the unintentional victims of this. I don't know if changes have been made in result of the Dev nerf, but surely Fort is still a save that you cannot overcome too easily in PvM. This added to the fact that Stinking Cloud and Evard's Testicles have relatively low spell levels, I don't think the focuses will contribute all that much.

Will and Reflex-based spells tend to work well enough in most places, however. But hey-ho, I should start playing again so I could actually verify what I write here.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 9:24 AM 

Player

Aeqvinox wrote:
I get those numbers, the 10% chance to miss exactly, from the fact that 2 points of armor class affect a d20 roll by 2 points, which translates to 10%. And yes, Blind Fight is obvious, but not everything has it, definitely not monsters. And even 25% concealment is still, as you said, a decent chance to miss.

This irritated me enough this morning that I just have to respond. :lol:

Let's take a hypothetical situation where the attacker has 10 AB and the target has 27 AC.

You will hit on rolls of 17-20. (Can't bother to check but I think hitting the equal is enough.) That's a 20% chance, right? All good so far.

But now assume you get +2 AC. Suddenly you need to roll 19 or 20 to hit. 10% chance to hit!

The common kneejerk conclusion would be that those +2 AC decreased your chance to hit by 10%. But not so: they decreased your chance to hit by 50%! If previously you would hit twice in ten attacks, now you only hit once. In a hundred attacks, you hit ten times. Not 18, which would be the 10% decrease you thought it is.

Compare this to concealment. Let's be generous and assume there's no Blindfight: 50% concealment with 27 AC against 10 AB means that rolls of 17-20 will initially hit (20% chance) and then get a 50% chance of missing. That means the chance to hit is 10%. The same as +2 AC. With Blindfight, the chance to hit is 15%. Concealment has no effect when your AC is high enough to block the attack, so the more AC you have the less useful it becomes.

Assuming the concealment is reduced to 25%, +2 AC remains competitive. If your AC is 11 above the enemy AB, you will be hit with rolls of 11-20; 50% of them. If 25% of those hits miss due to concealment, you'll get hit 37,5% of the time. If on the other hand you gain +2 AC, you'll be hit on rolls of 13-20, 40% of the time. Not a large difference. Now factor in that consequent attacks the same round will have lower AB and are less likely to hit, sharply reducing the effectiveness of concealment but increasing the effectiveness of AC.

This works only up to a cap, of course: once you have enough AC that only a natural 20 will hit you, more AC becomes irrelevant and concealment is the only thing that can save you. It still applies pretty rarely, though: if 5% of attacks are 20s, 1,25% of them are dodged. Similarly, if you simply don't have enough AC to block the attack no matter what (except on a natural 1), concealment will be extremely helpful. You'd get hit 95% of the time, but that gets reduced to 51,25%. That's when it shines drastically. But the AB of subsequent attacks will still drop to manageable levels, and you're kind of screwed anyway.

You probably understand this, of course. And you did originally word it in a way that might justify the correct interpretation. But contrasting it with 50% concealment is rather misleading, because the actual change to the number of hits you'll take depends entirely on how much you're already taking rather than some flat numbers. It's not like we're giving up concealment for AC or the other way around so this is mostly academic. I just want to point out the contrast is unjustified and the existance of concealment is not a reason to drop Armor Skin. Especially if we're comparing survivability across the board - everyone has Improved Invisibility.

(I did this in my head, so there's a very good chance some numbers are off. But I'm fairly sure the principle is sound.)

Polris

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 13:21 PM 

Player

I think you're wrong Iron. If you have 50% concealment it means that the attacker has a 50% chance to miss his attack, regardless of his roll. Even if he has enough AB to hit you every time unless he rolls a 1 he still has a 50% chance to miss before he even rolls his AB. I could be wrong but I think this is how concealment works.

EDIT: Yep, that's what the wiki says

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Concealment

EDIT2: Lol, I reread your post and I think I understood what you wanted to say amidst all those numbers and if I understood correctly then you're right.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 14:49 PM 

Player

Anubis wrote:
12/16/2 fighter/wm/rogue is the most common, usually. 10/19/1 I like, myself.

Love the 10/19/1! Did a gnome with that!
Gnome Earth Genasi or Halfling Earth genasi has the highest AB on the server due to small statue etc :D

Perhaps two-hand wield a scimitar and get 1.5 STR bonus when you have 50% Critchance =D

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 17:21 PM 

Player

If a spell lasts hours/level, does it last as long as the current Amia timer? Wasn't that changed to be pretty long?

I'm trying to work out this EMD thing. Hours used to be two minutes long, so an ESF would only extend it by 100% but now it must be a lot longer?

With only 24 CL, taking the Construct EMD without the focus is probably inconvenient. Having to rest every 24 minutes is irritating, not to mention using it in RP. What are the chances of getting the Elemental/Outsider reskinned to an extraplanar chess piece golem? That is, is it a categorical no-go if there's a more fitting template to use?

Uncle-Opustus

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 17:46 PM 

Player

I'd imagine that one hour is still two turns in terms of spell duration as it is quite practical balance-wise and that the whole game mechanism is kind of based on it. Having to rest more frequently than every 24 minutes is realistic because you don't have an infinite amount of spells to spam and your party more or less depends on your disabers. I'd say the construct is the most logical choice for a chesspiece, though with proper RP justification, I am sure you can get an elemental template approved especially if you stress the extraplanar part enough.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 17:48 PM 

Player

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4780/wizardamaunator.png

How about this Iron?
My Excel sheet cannot incorporate the new changes of the Harper Scout; so you have to imagine the "Blank" feats with something the HS Can take in EPic.

Quote:
Bonus Feats: At level 1 and 5, the Master Scout can choose a bonus feat from the following lists:

Bonus Feat List: Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Toughness
Epic Bonus Feat List: Great Strength, Great Constitution, Great Dexterity, Epic Will, Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Epic Prowess

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 17:50 PM 

Player

FFFFFFFFFFF....

You did it with Knight Commander, Not Harper Scout. And conjuration, Not Abjuration. Jesus i got a lot wrong.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 18:30 PM 

Player

So if I consider Opustus' advice and drop Conjuration, this is the tradeoff:
SF: Conj, GSF: Conj, ESF: Conj
In exchange for: Empower Spell, general feat, epic wizard feat.

Iron Will would be incredibly appropriate, but it doesn't have much practical application. Great Fortitude is useful but boring. What about Expertise? Has it been fixed to get cancelled on spell-cast on Amia? Even if it has, it would be a very handy tool to hold my own in PvM waiting for the muscle to take care of whatever is attacking me. Or finally, a Skill Focus: Spot or some other skill. Any opinion? Is there a reason not to pick Expertise?

If I want to take KC at 30, I need to take more KC in epics and get my Epic Wizard earlier to use my lvl 24 epic feat on an Epic Spell. I can't find the Save progression tables on the wiki. If I'm unlucky, that costs me base saves. That means I can take my Armor Skin at 21 though, because I will get my Epic Spells earlier and can use 30 for anything. Epic Spell Focus: Divination if he becomes a famous superdiviner, Epic Skill Focus (Concentration or Spot) or Epic Fortitude. No need to really decide that last feat yet since it's clearly extra.

So this is the optimized build with only ESF: Evocation and GSF: Divination. Shittier Conjuration DCs and only one EMD choice, but more spellbook flexibility (one extra metamagic) and two optional feats. Most notable improvement is Expertise, if it still works while casting. I'm going to use this level plan even if I go with the three-school version, because that nets me Epic Spells earlier. Really need to check saves tables though.

Quote:
14 Str
8 Dex
14 Con
17 (24) Int
9 Wis
12 Cha

1 W Toughness, SF: Discipline
2 W
3 W Extend Spell
4 W
5 W SF: Evocation
6 W GSF: Evocation
7 W
8 W
9 W SF: Divination
10 W GSF: Divination
11 W
12 W Maximize Spell
13 W
14 KC
15 KC Empower Spell
16 KC
17 W
18 W Silent Spell, Expertise(/Skill Focus/Save Bonus)
19 W
20 W
21 W Armor Skin
22 W
23 W ESF: Evocation
24 W EMD/EMA
25 KC
26 W
27 W EMA/EMD, Greater Ruin
28 W
29 R
30 KC Epic Spell Focus/Epic Skill Focus/Epic Fortitude/whatever

33 Concentration
31 Spellcraft
30 Tumble
20 UMD
32 Spot
33 Discipline
33 Taunt
27 leftover

Bini

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 18:37 PM 

Player

Casting does break expertise.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 18:47 PM 

Player

That's kind of unfortunate. Dropping the three Conjuration feats gets me Silent Spell or Empower Spell (whichever is the secondary one), but the other genreal feat and the epic feat are rather wasted as I don't need anything. Stacking a save like Fortitude seems fairly pointless if I never get into PvP anyway or if another save is required. I get some +8 saves vs. spells from unbuffed Spellcraft, anyway.

Would you stay Expertise is still worth it? Once I blow my spells for the spawn and my team is hacking them to pieces, stray critters may get into my face. I already have high AC, but dropping into Expertise would make me as tanky as anything. If they're hard hitters any spells I cast might get interrupted anyway. Or what other alternative is there?

Or is Opustus just a git and you would pick the Conjuration focus for this character anyway? Hate these kind of choices, they're really only apparent after you've played the build extensively and seen what you tend to use and what's superfluous.

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 18:59 PM 

Tester

Im unsure if you can take spell related feats on KC levels?

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 19:01 PM 

Player

GreatPigeon wrote:
Im unsure if you can take spell related feats on KC levels?

Yes, Epic Spell Focus is in the general list. Epic Spells, however, aren't. I built that in my Amia test module so it should work just fine.

Mobile_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 19:02 PM 

Player

A wizard should have 4 Metamagic feats - Extend, Silent/Or Still, Maximize, Empower.
Two Conjuration Focuses - X and Y.

A wizard should also take his 20;th Wizard level in epic, Aka 19 Wizard levels pre-epic, then X Level in epic, and then Level 20 Wizard in epic to benefit from having the Extra Wizard Bonus Feat in Epic to take an epic feat, Like "Great Intelligence" or "Epic Spell focus".

These are my only main core rules when i make wizards but Iron? Can i ask if you are trying to make some kind of Spellsword? Why do you need so much Charisma? Why so much STR? You need to MAXIMIZE your INT at creation by all means necessary

@Pidge - You can NOT take spell related feats on KC Levels, which is why one should avoid taking A non-caster level on level 21,24,27,30

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 19:05 PM 

Player

You don't need Empower on a mage, unless you have a feat to burn.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 25 2013, 19:29 PM 

Player

Very_Svensk wrote:
These are my only main core rules when i make wizards but Iron? Can i ask if you are trying to make some kind of Spellsword? Why do you need so much Charisma? Why so much STR? You need to MAXIMIZE your INT at creation by all means necessary

@Pidge - You can NOT take spell related feats on KC Levels, which is why one should avoid taking A non-caster level on level 21,24,27,30

The part about Epic Spell Focus is untrue. I certainly was able to take it on a KC level. There's a list of specific unavailable feats on the wiki on each class page.

Charisma is used for Knight Commander abilities. There's very little reason not to blow extra points on it. The same for Strength: I'm going to wear heavy armor and use a shield, and it certainly helps inventory management. He's not a spellsword, but a tank anyway. He's a military commander, after all. And really, why not? I could sacrifice 3 points for 18 starting Int, but then I would need a Great Intelligence. Sacrificing an epic feat and and 3 ability points for +1 to DC and a 2nd and 6th level spellslot isn't worth it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 186  Next