View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 22:25 PM 

Player

Hey guys! I've had a really weird glitch that's been happening with my NWN. I'll be roleplaying, and doing my thing, and all of the sudden none of the text I send through will show up in the chat box, nor will anything anyone else says. Everyone else sees everything written past the point this bug occurs except me. I always think I'm crashing or the server is crashing, but neither ever happens. I just stop being able to send and receive text in all chat channels. The only way to fix it is finally realize I'm being left behind in the rp and reboot my game. Any thoughts on fixing this?

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 22:43 PM 

Player

No clue, but immediate 'hit it with a rock and fix it' answer is 'have you installed any new haks, tlks or other third party stuff lately?' followed by 'have you tried reinstalling the game' :mrgreen:

Man, this account is over 10 years old. Where do I get my old man beard?

Kudark

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 23:05 PM 

Player

This happens to me as well. When I notice it, the first thing I do is try to open inventory, if all is dark, then the server is lagging, or about to crash. I give it a minute or so, if the text I typed in doesn't show, I try to log off before server crash. Then I check the forums and watch the server status.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 23:35 PM 

Player

I've never seen or heard of this. Are you running some other program at the same time? Have you added/changed something recently? Drivers?

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 23:38 PM 

Player

Nope, nothing new! I've had this computer a few years, haven't made any NWN changes aside from updating the haks. I think maybe a fresh install will be the way to go. It's incredibly frustrating to be sitting here looking at the screen waiting for the other person to answer me, only to realize theyve been waiting on ME for ten minutes.

5star

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 23:41 PM 

Player

That sounds like you're disconnecting from the server, then. Re-installing NwN won't fix that issue, unfortunately.

OpenTheRift

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 08 2015, 0:04 AM 

Player

5star wrote:
That sounds like you're disconnecting from the server, then. Re-installing NwN won't fix that issue, unfortunately.

My thoughts

TheGoddessOfAmazing©

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 08 2015, 0:51 AM 

Player

OpenTheRift wrote:
5star wrote:

My thoughts

I guess I'm confused... if I'm disconnecting from the server, shouldn't I actually disconnect at some point? I can still move stuff around my inventory, change outfits, other people are getting what I'm saying on their end, it just doesn't show up for me. I think if I was DCing, then they wouldn't be getting anything from me. or am I missing something?

Terallis

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 08 2015, 0:58 AM 

Player

It may be a strange thing between your upload and download speeds. It's possible something is throttling the download speed, but not as much the upload. So others receive your messages and the like, but you don't receive a response from the server.

Overall, that's how multiplayer works, as well. Which also explains rubber banding. In this case, it would be that the server is receiving your commands and sending your position and chat to the others. But you, yourself, aren't receiving a proper response from the server due to your download speed likely being throttled. I've had this happen before, as well.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 08 2015, 8:41 AM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Kudark wrote:
This happens to me as well. When I notice it, the first thing I do is try to open inventory, if all is dark, then the server is lagging, or about to crash. I give it a minute or so, if the text I typed in doesn't show, I try to log off before server crash. Then I check the forums and watch the server status.

This and your game may be freezing up. I had this issue until I upgraded my gaming tower. I can't say what specifically solved the issue since everything got upgraded.

Have you tried logging out then back into the game?

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:48 AM 

Player

Have you tried changing the text filters in the chat windows and resetting them? I have a vague recollection of this happening, and that fixes it. I think.

Kudark

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:51 AM 

Player

MazeOfThorns wrote:
Kudark wrote:

This and your game may be freezing up. I had this issue until I upgraded my gaming tower. I can't say what specifically solved the issue since everything got upgraded.

Have you tried logging out then back into the game?

They are seperate issues. The one I mentioned here seems to be a disconnect, and others are booted too, eventually.

When my computer freezes up, it always requires a restart.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:58 AM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Interesting. I can alt+tab when the game freezes then close it from the task manager without having to reboot my machine.

Hopefully one of these will end up helping out.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Kudark

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:07 AM 

Player

MazeOfThorns wrote:
Interesting. I can alt+tab when the game freezes then close it from the task manager without having to reboot my machine.

Hopefully one of these will end up helping out.

I can do this only rarely. I know it will work, when I can move the cursor and everything else is frozen. But generally, everything is froze, and needs a restart.

Lutra

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 09 2015, 13:40 PM 

Player

Is it Dell by chance?

If yes, try Mosh's holy script here first. That solved my issues. viewtopic.php?f=112&t=75161

LastDragonRider

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 09 2015, 15:06 PM 

Player

Location: Somewhere... anywhere.. not here...maybe there... (GMT -8)

Its happens to me off and on Maryn through the life of my gaming, only thing is to reboot, its one of those weird little NWNolderthanthehellsthemselvesgame quirks, there doesn't seem to be any real fix and it comes and goes.... I can go months even years without it happening, then suddenly it'll happen a lot, then just as suddenly it'll stop. But as Kudark says, if you don't see your text show up, pop open your inventory, if that's fine, then simply excuse yourself for a quick reboot and it'll be rectified... until next time. If its doing this a lot, set yourself a short reboot timer, every couple of hours, usually works well for heading off silly glitches like this.

Sir Khayri Aphaeleon ~ Avenger of Hoar, Knight of Fort Cystana

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]