View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 25 2015, 19:34 PM 

Player

So! I would like to know how exactly PRC'S are handled? I have been trying t rp towards a PRC and I'm a little lost on exactly how it is to be done or what should represent what.
I feel that if some one could explain to me how PRC's get taken care of it might help clear up a few concerns.
Now the PRC I'm working towards should take an awful lot more time and development. Is there anyone particular I should 'Let know' about my plans?

Due to the content of the PRC I fee that it may be out right rejected and haven't really now who I can talk to about such matters.

So far I've only heard of one other person with this particular PRC... so PRC's - How do they work?

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Silkelock

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 25 2015, 19:54 PM 

Player

PRC = Prestige Class in my mind. Do you mean emulating a class with another? :)

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 25 2015, 20:06 PM 

Player

Silkelock wrote:
PRC = Prestige Class in my mind. Do you mean emulating a class with another? :)

Yes!

How would I emulate a PRC? What are the rules?

Magiros

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 25 2015, 20:20 PM 

Player

Let the DM's know you have such aspirations. I requested PrC and so did many others.

I've always tried to make the build represent the class.. For example Wild Mage. I took Bard so I can have arcane caster class, which can get me UMD and kind of random spells that the class would have represented. Make the skills/feats fit the concept. Much of PrC power lies with the DM's and can be realized under DM events. Also you can request custom spells/feats to represent the class. I as well tried to bring the aspect of the PrC appear to the RP given out. PrC's should be more of the roleplaying value they add to you, instead of the power they give to your character.

Hard to say about your PrC as you're not opening which PrC it is.

But speak to DM's. And speak to players you find it comfortable to speak with.. But as well those players who might be able to provide you insight to it. There are certain PrC which are outright rejected due to the amount of IC power they would get. Or for some other reasons, such as keeping responsibility for the concept of the class.

For example: Elven PrC: Elven High Mage is one of those classes that are more than unlikely to be accepted by request. Just because of the concept of the class and the amount of IC power it would give. Not impossible,, but unlikely. Another one is Archmage PrC, I feel.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 25 2015, 22:29 PM 

Player

I've been met with some negativity form players when bringing up my idea for discussion and attempting to hash out roleplay dynamic of such a class because of the type of server Amia is it would be much harder to emulate and rather then getting introspective responses at first I kept getting told ''The dm's will never say yes'' and after having spoken to a particular player and presented my points on several occasions they seemed to open up to the possibility and getting past the 'never gonna happen' bit and offered a good deal of constructiveness and really awesome suggestions. I really am a neophyte in this community and often times find my self questioning here to take my next step or even how. I suppose my hesitance in opening up publicly what I'm attempting is a bit stemmed from my fear of only receiving nay saying in turn. I seem to expect it and I feel and sorta have it in my head I may never be able to really represent the core of what the PRC is based on that I still wish to pursue roleplay and character development in this direction.

I've voiced my intentions to a few dm's thus far and any one who's rp'ed extensively with the character would have a very good idea of what's going on or any one who's seen the threads that are very related to such would understand why It's being perused. Is there any way or specific manner I should start this with? I feel that pursuit towards this and 'officially' being one are two different things. Should I try and get it okay'ed now even though I'm no where near close to being 'offical' ?

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 0:43 AM 

Player

Some more questions

Do I have to use all of my class lvl's to represent the prc?
Do I loose things from my existing lvl's to emulate the prc?
Do I need an ig mechanical PRC to represent the emulated rpc?
What should be considered (What question can one answer) for making a request for a PRC?
What are the limitations of a prc?

Silkelock

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 6:03 AM 

Player

it all depends truth be told. check some requests and youll see what we look for.

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.

Murkoph

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:04 AM 

Player

There seems to be no standard, the basic rules as far as I can tell is that you need to be able to emulate the class' prerequisites moreso than much else. You meet the requisites of the PRC you're trying to emulate, then everything else is just either roleplayed as being there, or for purely mechanical benefits of a prestige class paid for in the form of widgets/custom spells/items depending on the prestige class.

The rest of class stuff just needs to have a vaguely similar class that you can claim 'emulates' it.

Further, you can't seem to break the rule of 3 classes total for some reason; as far as I've observed anyway. So you can't have a fourth class emulated on top of an already 3 class build. For instance, Asya is a Wizard/Monk mechanically, but a Wizard/Void Disciple/Monk ICly. While I don't think I could have been a void disciple in her old build as a Wizard/Assassin/Monk.

So, for your questions as far as I've seen...

Question one: You don't have to use all of the levels of a class.
Question two: Not as far as I've seen in any requests so far.
Question three: No, you just need a class which approximates the PRC's abilities. It doesn't need to be a prestige class.
Question four: Whether the roleplay you've done appropriately leads up to it, whether the class you want to emulate is appropriate for the setting, and whether the abilities this prestige class would give you would be best represented purely through roleplaying or through widgets/whatevers.
Question five: Probably your imagination, and NWN's clanky old game engine.

Jannah Vindle - Mistress of Coin.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:53 PM 

Player

Murkoph wrote:
Awnsers

Thanks!

This clears up a lot- My next question would be are PRC limited to only being able to emulate one or can a player emulate two of them?
Granted still meeting all the other requirement and only being rply 3 of the classes

Murkoph

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 19:25 PM 

Player

The character Aurelius played by Archon Prime is both a Sunmaster of Amaunator and a Contemplative. So yes, you may have two separate PRC's.

Jannah Vindle - Mistress of Coin.

Estara

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 23:38 PM 

Player

Two suggestions I have on the topic of PRCs:

1. Take into account the actual RP that has already developed in your character. Does it move towards this PRC, or is this PRC something you're thinking to add on top of it for your own personal fluff? It's always best to understand that prestige is exactly that- a specialization or focus of talents. Many PRCs are so specific that it can be a very odd combination to reach that goal.

2. Understand that any PRC abilities are by request for each ability. The PRC is only for approving that the path MAY be taken, not that its abilities are already invested into your character. So it is still a many-tiered process, building upon many requests and/or different events, to really establish oneself as that PRC and being knowledgeable on all the aspects.

Some other idle commentary:

I find that DMs usually prefer PRC levels to be emulated by a certain class specifically for that PRC, but they're open to negotiation depending on the justification. But I think that usually makes it easier. It also makes it clear it's somewhat of a sacrifice!

I find that they are very happy to have people request PRCs, even though I have made my stance against this ruling clear. I do not think you will meet as much resistance on such a request unless, as Magiros states, you are choosing one that innately has abilities that are grandiose and/or pertaining to psychic/magical realms beyond what may be appropriate on a massive scale. You may also state that you are not looking to emulate any of such abilities, but then the question will remain: Why choose that PRC at all?

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 23:58 PM 

Player

Estara wrote:
You may also state that you are not looking to emulate any of such abilities, but then the question will remain: Why choose that PRC at all?

I like the rp involved with it rather then the abilities ;)

The class I wish to use to emulate the prc I have in mind is actually pretty darn close. Lots of similarities and it's just super easy to make them one in the same. I'm not really interested in mechanics or fancy widgets but they might be nice to add in the future. It fits the role-play and I think it would make a nice addition if I go through with it. And actually I think it would be awesome to play something like that. But as I can see it it's not really all that powerful on it's own I would require a deal of another bit to make it pretty amazing and even then it still really isn't as amazing as an archmage so to speak. I'm more hesitant in requesting such because I see it as a symbol of legendary meaning in a way though... I feel that if this is to be considered seriously my ability / trust worthyness of a player would be brought in to play- that is if it were to include the second half that would really make it genuine.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 5:12 AM 

Player

Can prc's be custom made and home brewed?

davis114

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 15:11 PM 

Player

You'd need to have a pretty stellar request for that to be considered, as that would alter server lore. But I imagine it would be considered, depending on the rp.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 15:15 PM 

Player

awesome

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 16:36 PM 

Tester

Judging by a recent request, being homebrewed isn't necessarily as important as being balanced and not overwriting current setting lore.

But my question would be what exactly is served by making a personal/homebrewed PrC over making the abilities something specific to your PC? I guess the Class model gives a sort of itinerary so both DMs and PCs can be on the same page before RP begins. If there are other PCs that wish to become the homebrewed PrC, then they could also use the model. But besides that, establishing a new class seems like a lot of work for something there will only be one example of in-game. Custom abilities, widgets, and feats can all be shared between PCs without making a PrC for those things to belong to, so it seems like something you'd do more for the lore establishment.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2015, 20:58 PM 

Player

Yups, DI sums up how I feel about custom and homebrew classes. Torin himself is some weird mix of Soulknife and Psychic Warrior.

I don't mind homebrew classes as long as the lore is good and it fits, and generally doesn't give me fits when it comes to balance and item ideas. The thing is, 3.5 is so big at this point there's largely no need to homebrew, since there's probably a class in a book that covers what you want to do.

But by all means, if you got the idea, go for it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]