View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2015, 9:14 AM 

Player

As I just announced, individual custom scripting unfortunately is off the table. Instead we want to improve on stuff that will enrich the roleplay of everyone.

In the light of this I ask for volunteers who have a custom scripted feat/spell/skill/song to send me a PM if they feel their thing would be a great addition for everyone on the server.

I will collect volunteered suggestions of already existing and fully scripted custom content and post it in the Dev Forum for discussion.

Mind, there's been some stuff allowed in the past that was only allowed due to a specific build concept or other reasons that make it appropriate for this character and not for everyone with just the same class.

We will sort through them and then pick out some gems.

This will not happen over night and most certainly also require a hak update so do not get your expectations too high, this is a long term project.

The idea however is that those additional feats/spells/skills/songs (which won't likely be more than a handful) will be able to be obtained via adequate Roleplay and not for DC!

Please do not post your submissions here but send them in a PM.

Please do only submit stuff that is already fully scripted and working, don't make suggestions here of what you would like to see scripted. Thank you.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2015, 23:32 PM 

Player

What can we do for characters that have taken a custom feat in their build (i.e. Frugdar) if, apparently, custom scripting is never going to be done again? I'd hope we can get that feat switched out.

Also, since you guys are literally hurting for scripters so much that you're starting to turn off functions of the server essentially and you're going into damage-control mode, just remember that you've got at least a couple applications waiting (from me and Dead.) Possibly more, I don't know.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 10:45 AM 

Player

A rebuild with changing just one feat is free of charge anyways so yes, you can just rebuild it out with no charge of DC.

There may be already made custom feats later which were submitted, but since I cannot predict if that will be the case, or when or if it would be something you like, your best probably is to take the free swap and if there should be something later you wish to obtain you can just swap again at that point.

To be honest though, not that much is changing apart of voicing what has already happened long ago. Scripting was closed for all in all more than a year already. It was briefly re-opened for a few months a the beginning of this year but then closed again because scripts were approved but none had the time to do them so they were just piling up, looming over the few people who were able to do it but had so much more important things on their piles already that were needed for everyone.

Terra_777

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 12:18 PM 

Administrative Developer

Spending hours upon hours doing custom work that might not see all that much usage for one guy is insane even if we had all the scripters in the world. Custom fluff for the individual is not a server function, its quite literally the opposite when people have to spent that time creating it that could have been spent adding features to the server, for everyone to enjoy.

Grymia

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 17:57 PM 

Player

This may be a stupid question which has been already answered but:

After the load of pre-existing requests has been done, and once things have settled, might it still be possible to request new custom things that can be added as a general whole that anyone whom does the roleplay can obtain?

An example to help:

--
To create a refined version of his Anti-pyromantic cloud spell, Tuomas manages to create a lower level 'Anti-Pyromantic Spray' for the express purpose of helping with firefighting again.

--

WrathOfTheNorth

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 18:01 PM 

Player

Another suggestion is that there is a certain pack that contains 300+ spells, feats and prc classes (though in this discussion custom spells and feats are sought),

Although they may have to be rebalanced or sifted through to make it amia friendly, there's quite a few diamonds in the muck.

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn ... c-pack-v35

Khuul-Khuum -Icy Heart Award 2014- Joint 2nd Best Developed 2014!
Ordained Of Her Grace

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 18:10 PM 

Tester

Quote:
Spending hours upon hours doing custom work that might not see all that much usage for one guy is insane even if we had all the scripters in the world. Custom fluff for the individual is not a server function, its quite literally the opposite when people have to spent that time creating it that could have been spent adding features to the server, for everyone to enjoy.

I completely understand where you're coming from, but custom scripting was honestly one of the major draws for me to early Amia. A part of me is certainly saddened to think that newer characters and players haven't(and apparently won't) get to experience it.

There's no real discussion to be had I guess; you guys know your workforce and if the manpower isn't there right now, it just isn't there. But if by some miracle we do get more scripters and want to try again in the future, I think our situation could be remedied by a simple thing: limits. Ask players to limit their custom scripting requests per player to 1 every 3 to 4 months. That way it's not like you have a few players constantly eating up scripters time. Terra's new widget, the pre-made feat list, and this new initiative are great because they'll encourage new players to look at other options that are less straining on our time and resources. But, on occasion, and when there is literally nothing in the game that represents what they would like, the option is still there. In moderation.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 18:18 PM 

Player

Custom scripting for the benefit of one is bleh, custom stuff everyone can access is awesome.

Right now, with out limited resources, the latter is the best idea. Could it change in the future? Sure. But for now, this is where we are at. Mind you, I'm pretty sure people can custom request stuff, it just has to be open for everyone to acquire rather than just the one person.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 18:44 PM 

Tester

Of course. Like I said, I'm not faulting our limited scripters for feeling that way. And as our pool of available-for-all stuff grows, we may not even miss it that much. But it does preclude having things specific to your character made, unless you want to make it open for everyone. In a lot of situations that works, in some it doesn't. For instance, one of my PC's has a widget specifically tied to her backstory. I can't think of a reason that would be available to anyone else unless the same line of events happened to someone else or pulling "a god does it because lolz" outta the air. Even if you create a specific mechanical or lore requirement for getting widgets like that, the idea of it being unique to the character is somewhat gone.

And maybe we're moving away from stuff like that and that's fine. We should want cool things for the entire playerbase and accessible by our fellow players because it then enriches the whole server! But like I said, a large draw for me coming to Amia was finally being able to realize my specific character with her own specific bullshit supa awesome powrz. Selfish as it seems now, it's true. Maybe our scripters are (very understandably) tired of per-one-player requests for the moment because for a decade now, that's been 90% of what has been asked of them in Requests. But, once we make some headway and get some more folks in our ranks, I think it would be good to still have the option open. Perhaps just not so open it eats up more time than things for everyone. To be used sparingly and thoughtfully. Okay, you're asking for personal time to be spent on your PC. You better come with it and make sure it's some sort of well-RPed personal capstone because you only get the option a few times a year.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 18:52 PM 

Player

I am positive we will add more custom spells and feats and such that can be obtained via RP in the future. I just won't boldly announce such until we have something definate in the pipes. Else it will just lead to frustration on all sides.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 25 2015, 20:12 PM 

Player

I actually like the idea of the spell pack or whatnot that Wrath posted a link to. New spells would be kinda neat in general.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:14 AM 

Player

Let's balance what we have, first.

Grymia

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 2:17 AM 

Player

Yeah, Balancing what's in play is important I'd say.

Rock on then!

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 15:12 PM 

Player

Pre-existing custom stuff is still OK to request though, right?

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2015, 16:12 PM 

Player

Definitely.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Magiros

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:20 AM 

Player

I could offer the spell 'Le'Quella Light' that was scripted to be available to general audience. Assuming there is interest to learn it and that roleplay obtaining, deciphering and learning happens. And the restrictions, mainly RP flavor, is respected.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]