View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 2:09 AM 

Player

I want to make a dragon character~

Suggestions on what I need to work on for the request? From what I understand it takes a different caliber of request. When I asked to see previous ones that were approved I was told I Couldn't because they were private. Help?

I've noticed a lot f the question get asked about contradicting statements and I get really confused. I get told That I should make a character for the character rather than the race. Then I get asked why it has to be a a specific race. I'm not really under standing the point of these conflicting questions.

Does the entirety of the character have to exist on predisposed stereotypes of the race?

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

kalcibone

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 2:20 AM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
Does the entirety of the character have to exist on predisposed stereotypes of the race?

I see a lot of this going around with both players and DM's requests. In the last four or so days I got yelled at by players because i wasn't playing a 'normal' sterotype of an assimar. I didn't instantly hate on 'lesser' races, i didn't 'smite' kobolds or teiflings.

For a dragon, honestly.. I doubt they'll let many people have it without a massive amount of roleplay, reasons, and DM's backing you. If you somehow do play a dragon, then the class itself would be near instantly bound for you. So for making the character have at least three DM's piggy back you making it, so you can get their opinion on class and mentality.
It was the only way I got my own request done.

DM's will always be the guards of that kinda thing. They have the only and last say what your race is and if their is homebrew lore they use, you wont know it untill they say so. So having DM's help you is really your only option. Good luck however.

KingArthur129

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 2:43 AM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:

Suggestions on what I need to work on for the request? From what I understand it takes a different caliber of request. When I asked to see previous ones that were approved I was told I Couldn't because they were private. Help?

I've noticed a lot f the question get asked about contradicting statements and I get really confused. I get told That I should make a character for the character rather than the race. Then I get asked why it has to be a a specific race. I'm not really under standing the point of these conflicting questions.

Should do a legit half dragon! Monstrous! Not a human with some scales and wings eh? Also, be a chromatic! Definitely more fun.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 3:28 AM 

Player

KingArthur129 wrote:
PassionateShadow wrote:

Should do a legit half dragon! Monstrous! Not a human with some scales and wings eh? Also, be a chromatic! Definitely more fun.
The physiology of something that in between freaks me out a bit. I'm okay with bits and pieces but not something that half and half. I typically like one or the other.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 4:07 AM 

Player

If you are referring to a full dragon then yeah, the character would need to conform to what color of dragon it is. Dragons are pretty unchanging; red dragons are always chaotic evil because that is just how they are, and the rest of the stuff like how they act and where they live is mostly set in stone as well. The same for the other colors. It's why lore-wise a dragon disciple is supposed to start taking on the psyche of the dragon that is their ancestor, including some gravitation towards their alignment; especially the deeper you delve. If a LG character finds out they have blue ancestry and they pursue the goal deep enough to get wings, they should probably be acting more blue-like and potentially shift towards LN; I'd say by 19 class levels they better be LN at least haha.

But yes, a dragon would have to be like the dragons of it's kind. As for Aasimar, I don't think they would be predisposed towards being smite machines, but they should be upholding good morals and stuff like that (since they are Celestial-blooded and enough to manifest powers, like Tieflings).

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:50 AM 

DM

*Small Disclaimer: What I say below is from my experience interacting with the DM team and by no means what I say is law/true completely*

So I am going to give you some general advice for monstrous characters and hopefully pull it around to reflect dragons in general. I have had my share of monstrous character throughout my career on Amia and they have been meet with success, failure, and small bits of success that ultimately never panned out.

The way the DM team approaches each request is with a mindset of how your character will fit into the world of Amia. How will it enrich it? How will it interact with others? What ripples will it cause because of it being so unique? There is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to pursue a character because it is unique! In fact that is what drove a lot of my requests but you have to really spend the time to develop the concept. It has to become more than just a request to play a shiny character and instead evolve into something greater.

I will give you a few follow up pointers to add to the above. If you are going for the special monstrous character you really need to drive home the unique factor with a purpose. The DM team -likes- something that has never done before and something that can really add weight and story to the world. They are looking for why you cannot do what you have in mind without this character. Your character’s goal and purpose need to be so intertwined that what you have in mind is impossible with any normal PC. In the end the DMs are here to help create the fantastic world that we all enjoy and they want to see it become even more fantastic so they are looking for those unique, never been seen before factors.

A big one for if you want to meet success is having a good goal and niche for your character to fall into. Having your random ‘Gnoll’ character doesn’t add anything to the server but that Gnoll being directly connected to Tarkuul or another major faction city from the get go can really help you not only develop your request for approval but also help you as player to figure out what to do next. Not having a plan and being handed a special monstrous character results in 99% of the failures out there.

The last bit of advice I can give is that the lore books are you friend. Forgotten Realms 3.0 - 3.5 stuff is the sweet spot and almost anything in those books the DMs will accept or at least consider. So read them, be clever, and try to find something amazing to do. Interacting with a unique interesting character certainly makes my day and drives me to log in.

Now onward to dragons!

What makes them so difficult as a PC is that Dragons are inflexible in what they are. You will never have Gold dragon that doesn’t act like a Gold dragon. It is impossible. This inflexibility makes them hard to develop from the start without making them ‘dull’ and ‘cookie cutter’ straight out of the monster manual. You have to develop them into a unique personality while staying so true to so many of their key racial preferences and behavior. It is not easy and very, very few have ever gotten it right.

On top of the above dragons are unbelievably powerful. An ancient dragon could destroy the entirety of Amia if it wanted to and you pissed it off enough. This makes it hard for a PC character scaled at level 30 to represent anything close. The way I personally have seen it done is by reducing their age to something far more acceptable.

Dragons have so many nuances and personality ticks that it makes them very and I mean very difficult to even have a reason to interact casually with most of Amia. The dragon types that might have reason to casually talk with everyone they meet will rarely if ever actually slip out of their humanoid form. So that is one big thing you also have to keep in mind. If you play a dragon PC you will be playing a humanoid 99.9999% of the time and not an actual winged dragon.

There are few other people that can add much more to what I just said and I am certain much more will come rushing to me after I post this but I hope this will help provide some insight. Good luck.

The Great Equalizer

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:01 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
red dragons are always chaotic evil because that is just how they are, and the rest of the stuff like how they act and where they live is mostly set in stone as well.

An amusing choice of examples as quite possibly the most famous case of a dragon not holding true to this is a red.
Garnetallisar was quite important to the fall of Myth Drannor and Trio Nefarious thing, what with one of the requirements to their unlocking was that a "red dragon that never knew malice or greed in its heart flies over the Coronal's throne."

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:16 AM 

Tester

Garnetallisar was a frakenstein-baby. It wasn't as if he were a naturally occurring thing. And as I understand it he was actually a hybrid red/blue, another thing that never ever happens without super duper magical intervention(and/or writer's disregard for the setting for plot's sake). In any case, that... thing... is such a huge exception to any number of rules that it's probably not wise to use it as a basis for much of anything.

The aim of dragons being described as "always X alignment" in my mind is because they're sort of paragons of their dispositions like an outsider might be. The rare cases when you find one outside of their alignment, it'd usually be one step and there would have to be something serious to have happened to them for them to stray. Then again, we have Windy who might be Chaotic because he's gone insane? Or maybe just NE, I honestly don't know. In any case, a non-alignment dragon should be looked at the same way as a non-alignment Celestial/Demon/etc in FR: what the fuck happened to it, and why the hell hasn't it killed itself or had its kin kill it out of shame? It's not a "stereotype" of the race any more than it's stereotypical to say Balors are CE; that's exactly what they are.

More to the point of playing an actual Dragon PC, what I would ask is this, and it's a question that gets asked every time a special character request is made: what is accomplished through this PC being this that could not be accomplished through a more common race? A full fledged dragon is on our list of blue moon stuff just like full outsiders and whatnot. There would have to be a series of non-contrived, totally worthwhile reasons for beings of certain types to stay around a place like Amia. There would probably be more pressing things on their agenda, god-given or biologically programmed, than worrying about auction notices or going "hunting" with creatures that live only for virtual days in its lifetime. Maverick already hit on most of what I had to say in that realm, but it bears repeating because it will be a slog most likely--and rightly so.

So my suggestion in what to work on the quest is to get a narrative in your head of why they have to be what you want them to be. Yeah, you should play a character for the character, which is exactly why you have to think carefully when you consider a weird race on top of that. Those questions you mentioned aren't contradictory at all. If what you're looking to play is a courageous character who has years of wisdom, and hoards gold and gems, and has so much to learn about the world while still maintaining the honor of it's bloodline... well, there's nothing in that description that doesn't point to any number of races that aren't dragon. Picture in your mind the essence of your character as a non-request race and your experience through them and the effect they have on other players and the game world. Now imagine them as that dragon character. If only real difference is the box the character is coming in, you probably have got some work to do.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:41 AM 

Player

Quote:
I will give you a few follow up pointers to add to the above. If you are going for the special monstrous character you really need to drive home the unique factor with a purpose. The DM team -likes- something that has never done before and something that can really add weight and story to the world. They are looking for why you cannot do what you have in mind without this character. Your character’s goal and purpose need to be so intertwined that what you have in mind is impossible with any normal PC. In the end the DMs are here to help create the fantastic world that we all enjoy and they want to see it become even more fantastic so they are looking for those unique, never been seen before factors.

I don't really understand what this is. This is the part of the puzzle I have the most difficulty with either that my never been done before ideas are too out there or not good enough. It sees like nothing really hit sthe spot and this comes across to me as the vaguest requirement that needs to be filled.

Quote:
What makes them so difficult as a PC is that Dragons are inflexible in what they are. You will never have Gold dragon that doesn’t act like a Gold dragon. It is impossible. This inflexibility makes them hard to develop from the start without making them ‘dull’ and ‘cookie cutter’ straight out of the monster manual. You have to develop them into a unique personality while staying so true to so many of their key racial preferences and behavior. It is not easy and very, very few have ever gotten it right.

I don't have a problem in this area. This is something I feel I do far better at than the aforementioned quotation.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:46 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
a hybrid red/blue, another thing that never ever happens without super duper magical intervention(and/or writer's disregard for the setting for plot's sake).

As far as I know Dragons creation lore persists around the idea that the create of dragons couldn't fit all he wanted in to one dragon. So he made all the evil and all the good. Tiamat and Buhamut to breed and make the perfect dragon. Didn't work out so he focused on making the qualities and aspects so they would all meld and create the perfect dragon hence the chromatic and the metallic. This didn't work out either.
As their initial purpose was to inter breed I don't see crossing over as far fetched. It seems like it would occur n the very leave with Chromatic and chromatic and metallics with metallics. The only vague argument I could see about that is dragon pride. Development has a way of changing a character's initial perspective.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:56 AM 

DM

PassionateShadow wrote:
Quote:

I don't really understand what this is. This is the part of the puzzle I have the most difficulty with either that my never been done before ideas are too out there or not good enough. It sees like nothing really hit sthe spot and this comes across to me as the vaguest requirement that needs to be filled.

It is really vague because I do not have any idea of something you could do that would fit that criteria. If I did I would probably go about doing it myself. Alright. I will give you an example.

Levexal for example is a character that I was able to put together that, at least as far as I believe, fits that criteria. There was enough lore present for me to formulate his purpose and ease him into Winya where he is wildly successful now. In that same context Felldrakes were such an odd off to the side race that there wasn't untold volumes of lore that prevented me from being creative and inventive with it. It allowed me to make Felldrakes a real and tangible part of Amian lore now.

Now that advice was more for a monstrous race in general. Since you specifically want to do a dragon I would advise you to start reading up on other things besides true dragons to see if you could work an angle there, or something besides the standard true dragons. If you cannot find something then you need to formulate a lore accurate and supported story that could even begin to explain the presence and purpose of your dragon PC being on Amia. Also try and answer to yourself and the DM team what its reason for being will be. What is it going to do that noone else can do? What will you do with it? Your character needs a place and a goal. Without those two things it will simply fall apart.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:20 AM 

Player

I try and make backstories that are extraordinarily boring and normal because they tend to be more believable. Cor'Xak almost froze to death and, while dying of starvation, found God, that's pretty much it. The Gnoll im making was in a merc band until it went to shit, and he tried to fix that and lost the resulting knife fight, and limped off. I usually follow rules of one extraordinary aspect to a character. Cor is a funky red kobold so race is 'extraordinary,' therefore his system of morals, class, build, logic, and backstory is really super simple and basic, but still interesting despite being almost mundane. The gnoll is the same way.

If you make a half-dragon, it might be kind of deflating to do so, but try and think of things in terms of normalcy. It's tempting to make your character a 6'5 noble who knows how to fuck fight, but that's what half the damn server already is (seriously read some player descriptions sometime almost everyone is a kohl or wiltun noble at least six feet tall).

What if your non-dragon mother died in childbirth, your dragon father never once showed up, and you lived your entire life in group homes with everyone just assuming you were some kind of freak-thing until you hit adolescence, and only just now you're discovering your heritage? Is it boring? No. But it's pretty believable, and serves for the basis of strong personality traits. That's the sort of thing I look for when I do a character backstory, what's some 'normal' shit that would drive a character to do things?

This is the last 'story' I ever wrote for a character; http://pastebin.com/Wt9jvMMN . Despite a super basic origin (which is almost entirely in that tale) I was able to make a character interesting enough to play in an irl game that went 1-2X with an Amia DM DMing it.

That's the key to me anyway, when I think of a character concept I don't fuss about the details, family lines, overly complicated motives that involve direct deity intervention or the blessings or private tutelage of epic or beyond epic NPC's. I just think of a basic plot that makes actual sense, and then spend several hours thinking about how that 'character' feels about issues, gods, things like poison use or slavery, and most importantly, how is that character going to interact with the world? The backstory is so secondary to all that other stuff I really don't bother with anything complex anymore, all that other shit is just more important and more fun, and once you have all that, the 'dragon color' you want to be (which you should be in one step of alignment wise if not spot on due to half-dragon-ness) alignment, attitude, gear, class, that's when it will all fall into place naturally.

Just my two cents. I'm also bran new here so what the fuck do I know.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

CrazyCatLady

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:48 AM 

Player

AirPhforce wrote:
It's tempting to make your character a 6'5 noble who knows how to fight, but that's what half the damn server already is (seriously read some player descriptions sometime almost everyone is a kohl or wiltun noble at least six feet tall).

Er, not even hardly. Most are not nobles, and not all are even near that height. In fact, if you stop and look, most characters are average height, ordinary commoners who tend to be either from farms, the offspring of merchants, or other ordinary, quite common folk.

When it comes to dragons, however, they do stick to their bloodlines and alignments as listed in cannon, making them a bit more rigid to play.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:11 AM 

Player

I think it HAS potential to be a cool concept if done REALLY well. You'd have to know you'd be missing out on a lot of locations/luxuries most average PCs get. Like, please don't stand around Bendir/Cordor, I think that'd be weird, and actually an insult to your pride as a dragon- make those underlings come to you. With gifts. Showering you with gold. 8)

You'll probably get really bored and lonely at some points, which will tempt you to do some OOC things. Instead think out of the box for ways to get people to be around you, not you around them. I'm sure you already know all this- just reminding!

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:19 AM 

Player

CrazyCatLady wrote:
AirPhforce wrote:
It's tempting to make your character a 6'5 noble who knows how to fight, but that's what half the damn server already is (seriously read some player descriptions sometime almost everyone is a kohl or wiltun noble at least six feet tall).

Er, not even hardly. Most are not nobles, and not all are even near that height. In fact, if you stop and look, most characters are average height, ordinary commoners who tend to be either from farms, the offspring of merchants, or other ordinary, quite common folk.

mhmm.

next time I see some humanoids gathered i'm going to note their heights in their descriptions and see how many are nobles.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:28 AM 

DM

CrazyCatLady wrote:
When it comes to dragons, however, they do stick to their bloodlines and alignments as listed in cannon, making them a bit more rigid to play.

This. Except replace "a bit more rigid to play" with "exceptionally difficult to get right."

Deviating from the norm on a dragon PC request, whether with its alignment, behavior, or other lore-supported matters, will not help lead to an approval that's already difficult to receive.

PassionateShadow wrote:
I get told That I should make a character for the character rather than the race. Then I get asked why it has to be a a specific race. I'm not really under standing the point of these conflicting questions.

When you make a character for the character, and not just for the race, that does not mean that the race no longer matters. On the contrary, you create the character and the race is supposed to fit right in, like a piece of a puzzle. When they ask you to explain why, they are only making sure that the puzzle piece fits and it was not forced and painted over to make it look right.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

DolphinRacer

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:34 AM 

Player

AirPhforce wrote:
CrazyCatLady wrote:
AirPhforce wrote:

mhmm.

next time I see some humanoids gathered i'm going to note their heights in their descriptions and see how many are nobles.

No need to get snarky you two. Avoid posts that detract from the original posters question or intent, it derails the purpose of the thread.

I like the idea of a dragon character to some degree I just think it would be unbearably hard to play unless you stuck to very specific colors or types, or invested somehow in shifter-like abilities to blend as a person. Quite simply, a lot of settlements are not going to be inclined to let a dragon come inside or hang out in their territory for very long. If you are willing to accept that, I'd say go ahead and push for this and just pick a dragon color/type that fits what you most want to play. But I'm inclined to agree with CCL and Jes, dragon breeds are all very rigid archetypes. Pushing anything through for any special race that is outside the norm for that race is not easy, something I know from personal experience, and usually gets rejected. I can imagine this will be triply true for something as unique as a dragon character.

That being said, a true half dragon would still be somewhat rigid but I think would allow for more flexibility.

Kira "Penny" Sigers
Better than Boulderdash!

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 23 2016, 7:46 AM 

Player

From what I've seen as of late I'm not so sure I want to turn in my request.

I'm kinda afraid of it to be honest. From what I've seen in the past and what I'm seeing now I kinda just feel really discouraged.

I feel like Ive been too analytical with my dissection of what should be in a character and I can't figure out what to write. I feel like I'm too worried about getting it right to really focus on conveying what I'd like to play.

I have a very clear concept but I'm having trouble thinking about back story.

Commie

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:22 AM 

Player

Telling ya, easy backstory, Orphan, no parents, constantly mistaken for fiend, can't play in raindeer games. Hit adolescence. Suddenly you're bigger and stronger. Wizards look at you like you're a walking sack of spell reagents. You need a break, you need to leave, scratch together some coin and land on Amia, and suddenly someone actually tells you what the hell you are.

ez peasy. Believable. Works well.

You don't have to write some crazy "chosen of the lord of the north wind that was groomed for 40 years then got to Amia and started goblin slaying" story. Go basic and let your experiences after you arrive dictate who you are and who you trust. Don't fret the backstory, arrive ignorant. Let people lie to you, believe the lies, let people help you, be helped. Let that shape who you are instead of some long ass backstory you just wrote.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 23 2016, 18:06 PM 

Player

That... how would a dragon become and orphan? How would no one know the char was a dragon? That makes absolutely no sense. Even as half-dragon is going to look like a dragon, not a fiend. It's not believable at all. A simple backstory is probably not going to cut it unless it actually makes sense. It's a special request for a reason, it has to go above and beyond a normal request. Heck, requesting a dragon is probably more intensive than requesting any of the other request-only races.

It can be done, that's for sure (as we've seen recently with Jes) but it has to be a good request, that's all I'm saying. Dragons are hard to play, there's a reason you don't see them walking around lol

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:22 AM 

Player

I could see a half dragon being mistaken for a fiend in many places not filled with level 30 characters that know sourcebooks, tbh, dependant on color.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:13 AM 

Player

This question is towards the dm's I've been trying to write up a character idea and I've about 7 pages in total of my request with formatting and such. Would you prefer an over view added to the top? I've real just been writing to help flesh out what the characters already been through that helped shaped how and who he is.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:43 AM 

Player

How much of those 7 pages is actually relevant to the character's existence on the island, what you intend to do with the character on the island, and how you intend to further the environment and overall plot structure of the server?

Because that's what I care about. I don't need to read 7 pages about your character's birth until he got to the island. I want to read about why the character is the way they are. I want to read about their formative views. I want to read what you intend to do with the character as a general direction. I want to read why it needs to be a dragon, a full dragon, and why making it that is going to make the character better, and the envrionment of the server better for being so.

These are things that have been suggsted to you a couple times in the topic now. I'm not sure how well you've taken them to heart.

~~~

And since this is a question to the DMs: My answer to this request is automatically a no. I don't vote yes for dragon PCs, personally. I don't feel they're appropriate for the server.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:48 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
How much of those 7 pages is actually relevant to the character's existence on the island, what you intend to do with the character on the island, and how you intend to further the environment and overall plot structure of the server?

Because that's what I care about. I don't need to read 7 pages about your character's birth until he got to the island. I want to read about why the character is the way they are. I want to read about their formative views. I want to read what you intend to do with the character as a general direction. I want to read why it needs to be a dragon, a full dragon, and why making it that is going to make the character better, and the envrionment of the server better for being so.

These are things that have been suggsted to you a couple times in the topic now. I'm not sure how well you've taken them to heart.

~~~

And since this is a question to the DMs: My answer to this request is automatically a no. I don't vote yes for dragon PCs, personally. I don't feel they're appropriate for the server.

It's not even turned in and your answer is no. This literally is 'Dungeons and Dragons'.
This is the kinda attitude that makes me feel my efforts are a waste of time and will be disregarded by personal preferential bias. Like breaking a leg before the race begins.

I have 7 pages because I have been trying to accurately explain the concept I have in mind to the best of my ability and to explain how the character came to be this concept I have in mind, and why. I could summarize it to about a paragraph but that feels lie a cop- out answer to give. The dm team wants such characters to be paragon and representative of what exists in the setting... dragons exist in the setting. There's only so many ways the concept of Benevolence and Goodness can be crammed in to a straight forwards ideal. It's not easy making something unique from something that's demanded to be with in the stringent lines of what's laid out wit in a page or two of text from the Drconomicon.

I have a clear path, goals and intentions for the character, and by ensuring I have all my lore straight I will contribute to a factor that exists in the world and by playing the role requested contribute to the environment of the overall server and setting. I currently have already expressed I do not see the overall plot s or plot structure of the server. In my eyes this is dead or perhaps I would rather think it's dead. I have a sure reason of why I was removed and it doesn't settle well with me but there's really nothing I can do about it with how sparse certain characters are around or what interactions I can give to the npc's I've been pushed to my viw if it's still based off the players very much behind the scenes.

I've written up about two events in the character's history that have helped shape and form their view on the world and their physical ability as well. These two events help express and explain why they have gained such views. I suggested a plot line t follow that would absolutely need to be a dragon as it's part of a dragon only PRC and Was suggested it would be too pompass from an ooc stand point when my focus was what would make semblance from an IC stand point.

I feel that the concept I have is one I can stick to if un altered to a great degree as it's one of my favorite that exist for a character. It's complex and intricate character that isn't just a half baked 2-d cookie cutter concept. The personality and structure of how I think the character fits in to the community doesn't really fit any other manner. It wouldn't make sense for this character one dissected and put out there in whole not to be a dragon at this point. That's how stringent Dragon Lore is and how strictly serious it's taken.

It's not an easy task to complete.

'My answer to this request is automatically a no.'

This sends a message to the player base as a whole saying no matter how well something sis written or how good the concept is or how hard the tried to fit the rules it's a fruitless effort. Nothing that can be said will ever change your mind and it's an un fair position to take up going in to something with a closed mind. This tells me that creativity has no place here, and discourages me from even trying. Even against all dds there is no possible way of changing this as it's a fact.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 13:16 PM 

Player

Random "player base" opinion on Tormak's "automatical" no. Tormak is just one DM, he might be swayed by acceptance of other DMs towards the request. He just does not like the idea of dragon characters on Amia because of solid reasons. 7 page diary of heart breaking life story won't change his minds. Hard facts, goals and ideas may. Maybe if you can get it clear enough to make it into half a page or page you might have chance (and keep those 7 pages somewhere down, if that main part gets DMs interested enough to care about details.

EDIT after PS: :roll: if you think so

CET time zone

Last edited by Nalkanar on Mon, Jan 25 2016, 13:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 13:40 PM 

Player

Nalkanar wrote:
Random "player base" opinion on Tormak's "automatical" no. Tormak is just one DM, he might be swayed by acceptance of other DMs towards the request. He just does not like the idea of dragon characters on Amia because of solid reasons. 7 page diary of heart breaking life story won't change his minds. Hard facts, goals and ideas may. Maybe if you can get it clear enough to make it into half a page or page you might have chance (and keep those 7 pages somewhere down, if that main part gets DMs interested enough to care about details.

I think A summary might be best that out lines everything nicely.

Overneath

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 14:08 PM 

Player

I don't know whether this is necessarily Tormak's basis, but I would also tend towards non-acceptance of pure dragon characters on Amia (despite having actually requested to play one in the past) for the simple reason that they were designed as NPC characters. Pure antagonist or pure wise-mentor. Player Characters are under the control of the eponymous player because they can be molded, because we can choose for them. For all intents and purposes, dragons don't have free will. They simply are. When you step into the role of a creature like that, you're essentially donning DM boots, regardless of how small a fit the backstory makes them.

It's not a reflection on you, PassionateShadow, or any other player. It's a reflection on the game and how the creature type fits into that game.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 14:45 PM 

Player

Overneath wrote:
dragons don't have free will

Of course dragons have free will. They have strong alignment tendencies, and to a stronger degree than orcs and such, but they're not Outsiders. What defines dragons, far more than alignment, is pride.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)

serbiris

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 15:00 PM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
This literally is 'Dungeons and Dragons'.

Well I've never seen anyone be approved to play as a dungeon, personally.

Though it would be pretty cool.

@Thanatopsis#6293

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 15:32 PM 

Player

Overneath wrote:
I don't know whether this is necessarily Tormak's basis, but I would also tend towards non-acceptance of pure dragon characters on Amia (despite having actually requested to play one in the past) for the simple reason that they were designed as NPC characters. Pure antagonist or pure wise-mentor. Player Characters are under the control of the eponymous player because they can be molded, because we can choose for them. For all intents and purposes, dragons don't have free will. They simply are. When you step into the role of a creature like that, you're essentially donning DM boots, regardless of how small a fit the backstory makes them.

It's not a reflection on you, PassionateShadow, or any other player. It's a reflection on the game and how the creature type fits into that game.

Perhaps this is why I don't really have fun with my pcs any more.

I was told there's lots going on. I guess I'm really just not part of any of it. There seems to be no gain or loss as of late things feel meaningless lately or a big waste of time or effort. My friend either wuit or are too bussy to really do anything with. I need constistancy

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 18:40 PM 

Player

An approved dragon character is not going to give you consistency by virtue of its approval.

Overneath

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 20:08 PM 

Player

Larsaan wrote:
Overneath wrote:
dragons don't have free will

Of course dragons have free will. They have strong alignment tendencies, and to a stronger degree than orcs and such, but they're not Outsiders. What defines dragons, far more than alignment, is pride.

The comparison to outsiders is actually oppositional to the point you're trying to make. Namely, angels can fall.

If we define free will as the ability to make decisions outside of your nature, no, dragons are not effectively free-willed. They can choose things, but they are not able to be or become more or less than they really are. In any given situation, they are restricted in action by a predetermined set of 'things I am not allowed to do or become'. That's not a sapient being, that's a really crappy modern-day AI.

Also if you're going to quote me, include context. Dungeons and Dragons as a system doesn't recognize this concept like we apply it in real life, mostly because as humans, we really don't have a great point of comparison. I said they are EFFECTIVELY not free-willed, as in, their actions are indeterminate to that purpose because they can't CHOOSE to diverge from what they are, will be, and always have been. Unless one of us actually becomes a dragon in real life, we'll probably never know the answer to this question, but this is my take on them given the evidence presented.

Again: Outsiders, at least, can change their nature - if only by screwing up really, really badly. Mortals can change their nature (in fact, one could make the argument that this is the entire point of mortality). Dragons cannot. And again, one could argue that the whole point of dragons is that they can't change what they are. They're supposed to be antagonists or guides, setpieces for the free-willed player to explore or overcome. You can get more semisapient versatility out of a library because at least you can turn it into kindling and change its decided purpose.

Larsaan

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 20:33 PM 

Player

There are examples of dragons straying from their racial aligment, though. There are chromatics that worship Bahamut.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

Overneath

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 20:41 PM 

Player

I'm sorry if it feels like I'm cracking down on you, but rarities practically on par with an anecdote aren't so much a counterargument as something deserving of a very steely side-eye. You could stick a Helm of Opposite Alignment on one, too, but that's a curse, not something that changes the core precept of an extant force of nature. Dragon Magic provides a very powerful ritual that allows dragon-blooded characters to change their color, but not only is the color so intrinsic to the alignment that you have to change the former instead of the latter, that ritual is actually banned on Amia.

It sucks. Dragons are awesome and should have much more wiggle room than they do - doubtless the creators of those, ahem, turncoat dragons agree. But unless we choose to turn the whole system on its head, this is simply how it is, how it's been established, and how it will continue to operate.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 21:22 PM 

Player

I'll be the first to admit I never really "got" the appeal of a dragon PC. There's just so many problems. You're permanently stuck one alignment, which means that you have to artificially stifle a lot of character development (and isn't that why we're here)? You can't play a mature dragon, there's no way to emulate those powers fairly, and a pushover adult dragon is seriously immersion breaking. So you're stuck as a child PC, in which case why wouldn't you make a mortal kid that actually has some interpersonal connections with PCs? A dragon by nature starts without any ties to existing PCs.

As a PC, your susceptibility to consequences is almost nil, making a dragon PC essential un-slayable. An unslayable dragon takes away like, half of a dragon's whole point of being. If a dragon isn't supposed to be killed, well, it better be providing plot-hooks and information relating to a pretty epic campaign, and frankly a dinky little PC child-dragon isn't going to be doing much of that.

It would also be pretty incredibly annoying as a DM, because a PC dragon is making on of the few tools a DM has left for "wow factor" common and ubiquitous. Dropping a dragon into a plot and getting a series of yawns because the PCs are habituated to hanging out with them in Kohlingen is a small tragedy.

You're also kinda shooting your chances for further DM attention in the foot. You're already ridiculously special, so a competent DM is mostly going to leave you alone under the assumption that you attract and create plenty of RP just by existing. You're also shooting yourself in the foot in regards to players that typically avoid those sorts of PCs. I'll be the first to admit that I probably wouldn't invest terribly heavily into a dragon (or full-blooded angel/demon) PC, because they, by nature of an "always XYX" alignment, are limited in the amount that they can be influenced and developed by RP, in addition to being hamstrung in the RP they can provide to others due to essentially playing an NPC without a DM title to back it up.

I can't impact you meaningfully (functionally immortal child most PCs won't be able to see mature in any fashion, supernaturally locked alignment and personality, PC ability to ignore consequences), you can't impact me meaningfully (lack of DM tools, lack of relevant dragon powers, lack of general agency due to being a functional infant) and you cheapen the DM-run dragons that CAN. Seven pages of original backstory on a character from one of Faerun's rich cultures would be far more valuable (in my opinion, as someone that often DMs and runs campaigns) than seven pages trying to justify a gimmick character that by nature only has a very small handful of functional paradigms and niches. I want to avoid taking shots at other players, but I feel the same about the dragons already approved, as well. My experience hasn't show me that they add something that wouldn't be better done by an actual DM NPC.

Overneath

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 21:44 PM 

Player

My god. I think my brain just got a secondhand high by reading that. A more elegant statement, I could not have made.

I think what we REALLY need for the dragon lore junkies (like me, to be fair) is the sort of middle-ground Dragonborn started to provide around 4e and especially 5e. Here, have a draconic experience and flavor without any of that agelessness or alignment-cornholing BS. That strikes me as the kind of idea we, as a server, might not be fans of, however, if nothing else due to the fact that '4e' and '5e' were brought up. Dragon Disciples are...sort of that, I suppose? But it would help their versatility if we removed alignment as a consideration from the prestige class, or reflavored it to something more like Dragonfire Adept, where you're adapting their power without becoming something so rigid.

I should stop there before Jes and Dusty decide my heretical smoothskin arse needs to be introduced to a flaming dragon fang posthaste. :D

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 25 2016, 22:16 PM 

DM

Overneath wrote:
I should stop there before Jes and Dusty decide my heretical smoothskin arse needs to be introduced to a flaming dragon fang posthaste. :D

:twisted:

---

Since Naiv already went and outed here that I have a dragon PC, I'll go ahead and offer my thoughts on playing one in a place like Amia. I've been playing mine for over a year now and I will freely admit that it has been extremely difficult to get into things. 90% of the social interactions that most people learn and grow from on this server, a dragon just isn't interested in. They have a higher calling. And when they get attached to some group or person (in this case as a LG metallic dragon), there's no room for any kind of questionable intent or behavior. The group she's attached to for her own safety (because she's young) suddenly has someone evil hanging around and everyone knows it and lets it stay? That could easily make a year of RP building that relationship up with them go right out the window. Because zero tolerance. Period.

There is no perfect place for dragons on Amia. There is no easy route and a lot of the time you'll find you can't really get involved with something because even most young dragons are smart/wise enough to know that getting involved in something when they're (mechanically) weak is stupid. Let the stronger allies handle it and offer advice and wisdom from the back of the line. And that can really get old when you're playing on a persistent world where you naturally just want to dig in and play the stories and plots that crop up - not to mention how hard it is to get gung-ho PCs to listen to a sagely-guide type character!

I am personally okay with playing that aspect out right now, though. I don't play only that character, which allows me to still get involved in other story arcs and plots that my dragon just doesn't care about, at the risk of sounding dismissive or elitist! I would say that if you do have/want a dragon PC, you have to be prepared to break it up with other characters. Because the nature of a dragon is, indeed, mostly static, there's only so much room for character development. She does have a good arc going right now, so it is quite possible to find those stories and paths even for a "static" dragon character. But even then it only works if the dragon is very young, and you have to be okay with that because I agree that an adult dragon PC is impossible to do properly - both for the flexibility of being a PC and the power aspect.

I've had people who found out about my dragon send me a message like "How can you play other characters? If I had a dragon PC, I'd play no one else ever!"

You will get so burnt out! Haha! The dragon pride and cautious approach to things (mine has thousands of years ahead of her; there's plenty of time to handle things with deep contemplation and consideration of all available points) will make you want to just throw caution to the wind and do whatever you want anyway. And that's not good! You really have to stick to your guns and treat your dragon PC as a springboard for other characters' RP. I think that's why I like it so much, though.

The main point is that your dragon's greatest accomplishments will not take place on Amia. It'll happen in a thousand years or so. As long as you grasp that and you're okay with it, go ahead and give the request a shot. The worst thing that'll happen is you try it out and decide you don't like it, so play other characters instead to contribute to Amia.

See me DM-side as:

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 3:15 AM 

Player

Jes wrote:
Since Naiv already went and outed here that I have a dragon PC

>_> I thought everyone knew! I could have sworn you had mentioned it on the forums D:

Larsaan

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 3:33 AM 

Player

Overneath wrote:
I'm sorry if it feels like I'm cracking down on you, but rarities practically on par with an anecdote aren't so much a counterargument as something deserving of a very steely side-eye. You could stick a Helm of Opposite Alignment on one, too, but that's a curse, not something that changes the core precept of an extant force of nature. Dragon Magic provides a very powerful ritual that allows dragon-blooded characters to change their color, but not only is the color so intrinsic to the alignment that you have to change the former instead of the latter, that ritual is actually banned on Amia.

It sucks. Dragons are awesome and should have much more wiggle room than they do - doubtless the creators of those, ahem, turncoat dragons agree. But unless we choose to turn the whole system on its head, this is simply how it is, how it's been established, and how it will continue to operate.

If fallen angels can be proof of Outsiders having free will, then surely good chromatics are proof of the same for dragons. They're both very rare, of course, but the precedence is enough.

How many pure-blooded Outsiders can you name that willingly chose a different alignment? I can only think of two, and they're both from Planescape. Practically anecdotal.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 3:40 AM 

DM

Haha! It's okay, Naiv! I don't mind sharing my insight on a topic like this anyway.

(Also, it was in a private faction forum, silly'um!)

See me DM-side as:

Overneath

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 7:02 AM 

Player

Larsaan wrote:
If fallen angels can be proof of Outsiders having free will, then surely good chromatics are proof of the same for dragons. They're both very rare, of course, but the precedence is enough.

How many pure-blooded Outsiders can you name that willingly chose a different alignment? I can only think of two, and they're both from Planescape. Practically anecdotal.

This one is actually my bad - I confused Forgotten Realms for another setting in my assertion on this point. The only actual example I can find is Malkizid. So that's settled: they're both equally ridiculous.

I'm not going to be Wikipedia guy and force you to cite your sources, but I DO want you to consider these examples of yours and take into account whether they CHOSE to be the way they are, or outside influences MADE them that way. At the end of the day, good OR evil is a choice you make. In that sense, I could go all the way around the bend and insist that dragons aren't alignment exemplars at all, but exclusively true neutral/unaligned in the same way that bears are.

kalcibone

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 12:13 PM 

Player

Just going to point out if anything is not the race's set alignment it won't get touched. There was already multiple deny's of gnolls because someone wanted it to be LG , yet it was denied for the very idea.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 14:40 PM 

Player

Depends on the race, dragons are pretty much a no-go for that. Gnolls would need a very plausible reason for being LG considering that's the completely opposite alignment of their race and entire upbringing. It's as weird as seeing a LG drow or orc or anything of the sort. It just doesn't make sense, unless you craft something really detailed for the backstory. And once you put in that much effort, is it really worth it? You also then have to breach the question of 'why does it have to be this race', and so on.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 18:23 PM 

Player

kalcibone wrote:
Just going to point out if anything is not the race's set alignment it won't get touched. There was already multiple deny's of gnolls because someone wanted it to be LG , yet it was denied for the very idea.

The approved Gnoll is literally Cn. Don't be facetious, please.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 18:37 PM 

Player

And it is a very well-played Gnoll, I will add.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 26 2016, 22:30 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
kalcibone wrote:

The approved Gnoll is literally Cn. Don't be facetious, please.

That, and CN is literally just a small step from the typical alignment for gnolls, whereas I find and LG gnoll to be literally impossible.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 28 2016, 0:03 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
That... how would a dragon become and orphan?

sorry until just now I literally thought this was about a half-dragon pc and not a full-dragon pc.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Larsaan

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:27 AM 

Player

Overneath wrote:
This one is actually my bad - I confused Forgotten Realms for another setting in my assertion on this point. The only actual example I can find is Malkizid. So that's settled: they're both equally ridiculous.

I'm not going to be Wikipedia guy and force you to cite your sources, but I DO want you to consider these examples of yours and take into account whether they CHOSE to be the way they are, or outside influences MADE them that way. At the end of the day, good OR evil is a choice you make. In that sense, I could go all the way around the bend and insist that dragons aren't alignment exemplars at all, but exclusively true neutral/unaligned in the same way that bears are.

I don't own much in the way of source books, but I do have a .pdf of Dragons of Faerun. Leafing through its examples of true dragons (19 examples total) I found Aerosclughpalar, a TN gold dragon druid and Claugiyiamatar, a NE green dragon. There was also Iltharagh, a CE topaz dracolich, which I realize isn't the best example, because lichdom does things to your alignment, but there was nothing in the text indicating that it was something that happened against his will.

Riyit
Chsera Hile

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 01 2016, 7:14 AM 

Player

Thanks for the help. But as I understand, despite my efforts to create a new character I will simply not be allowed to play any character of this caliber. As I understand the concept wasn't reviewed with a simple rejection due to the requested race. Thank you to all those who offered help, I'm sorry I wasted your time and mine.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:26 AM 

Player

Quote:
As I understand the concept wasn't reviewed with a simple rejection due to the requested race.

This is not true.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next