View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
serbiris

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 17 2014, 8:44 AM 

Player

Uberuce wrote:
My problem with dwarven RP is the 'grim righteous toil' part. It's part of the romance, for want of a better word, so I spose it's not going anywhere, but I work for a living already; I'm not going to come home of an evening and do some more for fun. And then have staff meetings about it.

Sorry for being a downer, but when I see a post offering RP positions which boil down to spamming the job system and/or emoting a bunch of screenshots of being at work for a few hours and then talking about it in the staff meeting, I'm not lured.

I imagine that for people who do feel this way there are plenty of openings in the field of Ranging/Caving. 90% of Brog is severely hostile wilderness after all (though full of adventurers also). Be a beat-cop dwarf! Complain about going to meetings! FAIL TO PROPERLY FILE YOUR PAPERWORK (but in a consistent way).

@Thanatopsis#6293

A Majestic Dwarf

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 17 2014, 12:54 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Mr. Hackums wrote:
In the past few months, I've seen the Dwarves in Bendir and Kohlingen more often than their own home. By a lot! Which is good, I think. I know that some Dwarves might still hang strong the ideal of returning back to the Citadel, but it's going to be a challenge. Surprisingly enough, the Dwarven players have been some of the best at adapting to the server as it changes.

TBF that was because of the Reyes plot to 95%.

A Lot of this was due to the Reyes plot agreed.... but I generally RP more outside Brog than within it, mostly checking on allies and making sure that the bonds which were made within the war are as we wish them. My Characters IC goals may be centred around the homeland, but I make sure to try and keep a presence outside of the hold as well.

Player of:
- Whurak Thunderhammer
King of Barak Runedar and all round Vengeful Dwarf
- Alvian Tegleiwalla
Nerdy Painter Elf with a Silly hat

fairdady

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 17 2014, 13:29 PM 

Player

Sometimes when you wanna RP, you gotta go where the people are. :wink:

However, the end of November will be the dwarves' Commemoration of the Fallen once again, a ceremony and hunt to honor the dead. Our trusted friends and allies are usually invited. I thought it might be to early to have a Coin Festival before then, after all the strife and damage from War. So next New or Full moon-ish after the Commemoration we'll have a Coin Festival, which are open to all public allowed into Barak Runedar.

I plan on doing the Coin Festivals a little bit different this year, try and make some order from the chaos. Hopefully it'll work out right. I'm going to pre-register the vendors, merchants, and craftsmen who will be setting up booths to sell their wares. This way when the posters are hung up to the public we can advertise who will be offering goods and services. Late bookings will be accepted of course, you just won't get advertised if not booked before the posters go up. We've had some fun and prosperous Coin Festivals, I'm looking forward our next one!

So now that life can get back to somewhat normal, we're going to give folks reasons to come RP in Barak Runedar. Not to mention our usual offerings of vendors, workstations, instructors, merchants, mythal forge, the tavern in the Port Barracks... Hope to see you there... just follow the rules. :twisted:

Sig by Jaydn- Dragon by Jes

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 17 2014, 14:50 PM 

Player

I'd like to point out that spamming the job system/emoting a bunch of screenshots is not a very accurate description, if not an overly simplistic view of what roles could be taken by dwarven PCs. Playing a crafter PC myself, I very rarely touch the job system. I am not much of a fan of it either so I like to give it a wide berth unless absolutely necessary. I don't think I've ever spammed it or needed to, to play my dwarf's character. I don't much enjoy screenshotting a string of emotes either, so I avoid that as well. I understand why this practice developed but I have found alternative ways to present RP to DMs and other players which suits my play style better. Those positions mentioned in the dwarven hold: stone masons, brewers, kennel wardens etc are just examples of roles dwarven players could take in Barak Runedar to provide extra avenues of play for their character if they so wished. They are not necessary to be within the job system, hell, there is no dog trainer job. Some people just take job ranks so it is represented on their character sheet.

Aside from that I enjoy crafter/trade RP, I find it opens up many opportunities to interact with plenty of others within and outside Barak Runedar. I have always tended towards games where you create, build, craft things so I integrate this into my play on Amia. In this persistant world you can help build the server and leave a mark in the game. It's a refreshing alternative to the hack 'n' slash gameplay. And the two are not mutually exclusive either. I involve my PC in plenty of fighting like any sane dwarf, but take some time to work on craft projects in my down time.

As for the, I'd say very outdated view of the insular dwarf, this no longer exists within Barak Runedar anymore than any other faction. When I first started playing a dwarf in Barak Runedar, 3 years ago, I remember seeing a fair amount of dwarf players in the hold, enough to maintain a purely dwarven driven RP hub. Which was the right move by the players as according to FR lore on dwarves, they are insular bastards, so its hard to argue with lore. However, as the numbers in the player base dwindled, the remaining dwarf players made a conscious decision- to survive as a faction- we had to open up the hold to outsiders and start inviting them to events and meetings. Silent's Red Snow event really helped with this and for a time brought most of Amia to Brog to interact with the stunties. From that point I don't think we have ever turned back and worked hard to maintain our relationships with other Amia groups. We even had a freaky elf dragon thing living in the hold at one point which Reddok consistently tried to bed until her body was found dead in Kohlingen one day ( I believe that was the story). That's how open minded the dwarves have become!

Long story short we gots plenty of plans to stick our beard tentacles in places all over Amia for all to enjoy.

fairdady

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 17 2014, 15:18 PM 

Player

Whaddya mean "Tried to"? :twisted: :lol: 8) :mrgreen: :shock:

Spirit of Rock

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 17 2014, 15:58 PM 

Player

I liked the concept of a sailor Dwarf, so I've hopped onto the boat, team. Gulgrin Blackweale is in-game right now, and looking to chat with any beardy buddies!

(Calls cost 100gp/minute, nonrefundable, terms and conditions apply)

As for the 'grim toil,' that's more down to a personal perspective than the actual truth of the matter, I feel. This is a race well known for:

A) Drunken shenanigans
B) Terrible social grace
C) Greed
D) Strict adherence to laws and tradition, regardless of how hopelessly stupid those laws may be (Me great-grandfather Klangus decreed that on fridays we fight only wi' furniture! An' we gots tae take a whizz on a picture o' an Elf!)

as well as being hardworking, loyal, tough etc. etc. (yawn)

That's plenty to play around with to make a fun, three-dimensional Dwarf who might not touch a craft in his life. Be the lazy outcast! Buck the trend! The only limit is your imagination.

fairdady

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 19 2014, 17:27 PM 

Player

We have some new beards running about! You guys are awesome, you jumped in with both feet today and fit right in. Love it, Keep it up!!

Kraniumbrud

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 19 2014, 19:39 PM 

Player

awesome to see so many dwarves online and working together!

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 23 2014, 21:57 PM 

Player

It's because you are persistent and always have your meetings:even if nobody turns up.

You ought to have a bloody good elogè for that.

Broldi

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 23 2014, 22:30 PM 

Player

I joined you crazy guys and made a dorf with Spirit. It's already been a lot of fun, I've met two of your people, if I could remember their names I'd add them. I look forward to playing with you all. :D

Polris

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 23 2014, 22:56 PM 

Player

It was good talking to your punk ass dwarf :)

Candle

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 25 2014, 19:31 PM 

Player

I have a dwarf character I could migrate here, though his concept was kinda taken by my halfling. :D

fairdady

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 25 2014, 20:17 PM 

Player

Tomorrow is the weekly Council meeting (14:00 gmt), would be a perfect opportunity to meet a bunch of stunties and introduce him! Or her... :mrgreen:

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:07 AM 

Player

You Schould hijack this thread to post events, like the council meeting - More topics is better :)

fairdady

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 26 2014, 14:11 PM 

Player

Funny Svensk, I just came here to post about the Council meeting. :lol:

Hey dorfs and friends.. Council meeting is starting NOW!!

fairdady

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 09 2014, 21:03 PM 

Player

Oooohhh.. hey Gulgrin.. some talk about dwarves and whaling popped up today. Boats, whales, a strong monopoly on whale oil.. yes please!! You guys like Gulgrin, Toirin, and some others.. get your citizenship paperwork filled out. :mrgreen:

Good stuff today at the Council meeting and after!!!

fairdady wrote:
After the Council meeting's conclusion, ale steins were filled, smiles displayed on bearded faces. Today's meeting saw the approval of some new citizens, the oaths given to the All Father and the citadel were a celebrated event. A procession of dwarves, their adopted human cousin Greta, and one lone elf lass, made way to the Hall of Kings.

The High Councilor would announce on their way through the commons and deeper into the citadel, "Make way for the oath takers!" Kin would step aside allowing the group easy passing, some following in their wake stopping only to grab a stein for the toast. A hushed calm and respectable tone would be taken as they entered the Hall of Kings. "Step forward before the effigy o the All Father."

Reddok would then begin, "Barak Ruendar is a dwarfhold o the Morndinsamman, the All Father above all others sees to our safety an prosperity. We honor the Soulforger with our oaths, our blood, an bring him glory an valor on the field. Kneel before the All Father an swear yer loyalty to em, to yer kin, and to Barak Runedar."

Those taking the oaths would kneel before the alter of Moradin and swear their oaths before gods and kin...

Oaths of the new citizens would be given to the All Father and those present. "By blood and honor, I do so swear to honor my kin and hold, to uphold the rightful virtues, and help raise me fellows to a better way!" from the righteous Beck. "I Haggbjörn Brewbeard swear ta uphold the law and glory of the Citadel, an hopfully brew lots of ale fer the members of the council and other dwarfs!" would the prospective new Brewmeister bellow cheerfully. Reddok then speaks, "Stand as citizens o Barak Runedar an be welcomed. Congratulations, lads."

Cheers would go up, steins of ale clapped together and promptly drained. The mood so festive they went out on patrol and killed every orc they laid eyes on. It was a fine day in Barak Runedar...

fairdady

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 24 2014, 5:46 AM 

Player

Dwarves report for duty!!

// Sunday November 30th, 15:00 GMT ((That's a start time an hour later than the usual weekly meetings!))

Last edited by fairdady on Mon, Nov 24 2014, 19:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

fairdady

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 24 2014, 19:21 PM 

Player

This Sunday is the Commemoration of the Fallen ceremony. Sunday Nov 30 15:00 GMT

Two weeks after the Commemoration, we are going to have our first Coin Festival in almost a year due to the war plot. The Coin Festival will be Sunday December 14 15:00 GMT. I just posted the following posters for vendor/crafter/artisan/merchant/goods&services registration. Sign up folks!!!
Quote:
*Posted in the allied settlements of the Shrine, Bendir Dale, Kohlingen, Wharftown, Winya Ravana, and also Cordor's East District*

Barak Runedar's Coin Festival
Vendor, Craftsmen, & Artisan Pre-Registration
and
Auction Items & Donations

Friends and Allies of Barak Runedar! Fortune once again smiles upon the Amian Isles, the end and victory of the Great War brings us a time of rebuilding and prosperity. We are honored to announce the citadel of Barak Runedar's Coin Festival will be returning for all your finely crafted needs. Three important dates to remember!!

Vendor and Artisan Pre-Registration Deadline (For Advertising Purposes Only):
Nightal 5 1382 (Friday December 5th - Midnight GMT)

Final Coin Festival Posters with approved Vendor & Artisan advertisement to be displayed:
Nightal 7 1382 (Sunday December 7th)

Coin Festival Date:
Nightal 14 1382 (Sunday December 14th - 15:00 GMT)

Our friends that have attended the Coin Festivals previously know that it is a day of good company, good food and drink, good times, and well bartered deals. Held within the Great Hall, the familiar sights and sounds of the festival bazaar are to be found. For those new to the isles or that have have the misfortune of being unable to attend thus far, this will be your opportunity to come shop the many merchant stalls filled with quality goods and services, enjoy the food and drink, and be entertained by the skalds and people watching.

For everyone intending on selling their goods or services, this year will proceed a bit differently. We are taking Vendor and Artisan Pre-Registrations starting this festival. Why you ask? The previous format wouldn't allow for any advertisements of who was selling what, we felt this hindered the prospects of the success of not only your business dealings, but the festival's as well overall. Fear not however, late arrivals and walk in's are always welcome, you merely miss out on being advertised on the final festival posters.

As you may know the festival holds auctions towards the end of the day. These can either be auctions of items or lots commissioned by an individual, or we accept your donations of quality items in honor and friendship, to be auctioned in the name of Vergadain to honor the Merchant King and his blessings for Barak Runedar's continuing prosperity. We look forward to seeing you there.

Citizens and Council of Barak Runedar

Honorable friends and allies, goodly people of the isles, if you one of the following and have interest in work, or setting up a space to sell goods and services, we HIGHLY encourage you to Pre-Register early. The boards will be checked multiple times daily. A small example set of what the festival is looking for in artisans and vendors, just to name a few! Register today!!

Vendors - Merchants - Traders

Cooks & Bakers - Weavers - Artisans

Miners Refiners & Smiths - Tailors & Dressmakers

Bardic Entertainments & Performers - Couriers

Brewers - Leatherworkers - Hairdressers

Jewelers - Masseurs- Fishermen - Wand Makers

Farmers & Produce - Trappers - Carpenters

To many to be named...!!

**Attached are Registration Forms to be sent to Barak Runedar**

// Please use the link above so I don't get requests spread out everywhere. Thank you!

fairdady

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 07 2014, 3:11 AM 

Player

Come join us!

Barak Runedar's Coin Festival

linlan

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 7:57 AM 

Player

Dwarves can build towers reaching out to the moon...
Join us!

(thanks Shealer! :D )

Metzlitemoctzin - Payit slave, now freed from Silent's sadostyle of plotting !

Mercedes

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:32 PM 

Player

Dwarves are consistently great here. Fun times for anyone who was hedging on the idea. Be part of the dwarf family and spread the culture throughout the island!

fairdady

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 01 2015, 16:30 PM 

Player

*Joins Tarkuul briefly to accomplish... The NecroBump!*

OK, my fair weather and sometime Dorf peeps, Barak Runedar has some mega-plot stuff happening this weekend. Pull the stumps out of the mothballs and report for duty! :twisted: The usual dwarf meeting at 14:00 GMT most likely to be war planning and final orders, followed by ass kicking time!

http://amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1363511#p1363511

fairdady

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:32 PM 

Player

This is be today, in a couple/few hours... Bring out the Stumps! 8)

A Majestic Dwarf

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 31 2016, 23:28 PM 

Player

If anyone is wanting to roll a new dwarf we have some quite interesting RP building up at the moment and so if people were looking for something a little different, please feel free to join.

We have a Pro-self sufficient, traditional dwarf movement going on, so we can have a conflict between old and new, despite the hold always siding with their own to the outside. Building Greenhouses, Taming the wilderness, and restoration of the dwarven monarchy are all part of this. We also have an interesting project going with this, where a number of artists, goldsmiths, and other such experts would be useful and appreciated.

Player of:
- Whurak Thunderhammer
- Alvian Tegleiwalla

Candle

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 03 2016, 22:38 PM 

Player

I'd love to play a Dwarf alt, I just need a concept. Last Dwarf I played was a Paladin, and Candle currently takes up that slot.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 03 2016, 23:42 PM 

Tester

I always thought a Dwarven Warpriest would be fun to play. Something like Cleric/Defender/KC. Just an absolute defensive and party-buffing monster. Bard/Divine Champion/KC would be another option I guess if I were to play a dorf.

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 03 2016, 23:49 PM 

Player

It's always best for people to come up with their own concepts so they'll at least be inclined to play it in the long run. As general advice it is easier to get in the gang with a dwarf who upholds the typical dwarf values and favours the dwarf gods. Those who don't usually end up ridiculed at one point or another by at least some others.

As odd as it may seem, I find playing a follower of Abbathor pretty easy despite being an evil character. This allows you to conduct your own shady business while still being a full-on member of the dwarf community. Nobody expects you to adhere to every nook and cranny of tradition since you're part of the black sheep flock to begin with, but as long as you don't mess with your own, you're pretty safe. It's the best of both worlds, giving you a reasonable background to RP and belong to the dwarf community while still giving you some leeway in terms of the moral side of being a dwarf.

Class-wise, clerics are always needed so you can never go wrong with that. But, from what I've witnessed over the years, it can be pretty hard to play, mostly because dwarf religion is based so much in practicality and everyday work and affairs, and that seems to be something people seem to miss at times. You can never go wrong with fighter-types, of course. Or you could try a mage, Runedar is lacking in those so that'd be an entire field up for grabs. Any class can work, though. Bard, rogue, whatever...

maglorine

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:31 AM 

Player

Dwarven Mages seem in short supply for sure, but DI's cleric concept is also a good one, although I'd go straight Cleric/KC for more Clericly goodness and buffiness.

One concept I thought of back when but never made was a LN cleric of Clangeddin (with War domain natch) with the Neutral Outsider EMD reskinned to a Dwarven Monk as his bodyguard/assistant. That would work as a Cleric/KC.

Like Infernal said, it's got to be something you are really interested in. Taking suggestions is all well and good if you find something that strikes your fancy. But if these don't then imagine a story you'd like to tell and see what Dwarf style might be best able to tell it.

A Majestic Dwarf

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 04 2016, 19:47 PM 

Player

I agree with Infernal_pain and Maglorine, Find something you are interested in playing... or enjoy playing, keep it somewhat "traditional" or "Dwarfy" so that you fit in with the group and crack on! Whurak, whilst he holds the traditional "Dwarven Values" to heart, as far as Build goes he is probably the least traditional dwarf, being a Dual wielding Dex-based rogue. He is also a fairly rough and ready type, and when his back is to the wall, probably not too honourable, as he will do anything, and everything to accomplish his sacred oaths.

However.... for people who need a little prod to get the juices flowing, I am going to word vomit a few ideas of suggestions for general concepts. Fleshing out a dwarven character into a rounded person, you may end up occupying one or more of these, but each could be a nice starting point as a thought for a character if one was so inclined.

"Runedar Raider"
The Barak Runedar Raiders were established in the "Winter War" against a horde of Orcs and Giants. Their founding ethos was one of special operations. Against the much larger orcish forces, they were meant to strike t the enemy before melting back into the wilderness. Other duties involve scouting and keeping an eye on enemies in the snows. A Perfect niche for someone wanting to play a Rogue or a Ranger, or in fact anyone who likes sneaking around in the woodlands, setting traps for Orcs and giants alike.

Loremaster or Skald
History is very important to the dwarven people, for it is the foundation that everything they do is built upon. They respect their ancestors, and revere their heroes, and keep meticulous records of their activities so that future generations can learn from the actions of their ancestors. Some take it upon themselves to inspire their brethren with tales of heroes long past, whilst others keep such ancestral secrets as the dwarven art of "Rune Magic" alive so that they do not die out. A Perfect niche for a Wizard, Cleric of some deities or a Bard, but just about anyone who puts a value for history could fit into this niche, be they rogues, rangers or fighters.

The Warrior
In many ways the most stereotypical dwarf, likely wearing heavy armour and either using a large axe, or a shield and slightly smaller one. Some even use hammers or even swords. Dwarven Warrior's are known for their stubbornness, and their fighting style is often referred to as a shield-wall, using their defensive talents to break the enemy upon their shields, advancing not at a mad dash, but at a careful, measured pace. At times we have had success replicating such tactics with our groups. As with all of these "Concepts" it is very open, but this is the home of the Fighter and the Dwarven Defender, as well as some rangers, my rogue, clerics, and even I suppose "Sword Mages". Anyone who likes hitting orcs in the face with an axe I suppose. Dwarven Defenders are the main reason for playing a dwarf here... are they can be somewhat tough.

The Spiritualist
The Dwarven people are a very spiritual people, however, as said before hand, their spiritualism isn't grounded in boring sermons or grand gestures. Their gods appreciate the consistent yet simple acts of reverence which are carried out each day. In the particular ways that a Craftsmen carries out his craft, the care he shows, how he honours the earth that the metal he works was taken from, but also from things such as courage and honesty, loyalty and honour. To Live life in the "Dwarven way" is to live life as the gods would have it. However, this said, there are those who within the society seek to inspire their kin by example by embodying a particular facet of the dwarven way that their god endorses. In doing this, they do not only inspire their faithful, but the whole dwarven people, as all dwarves can appreciate the example set by the brave cleric of Clageddon Silverbeard, or the stoic vigil of a Paladin of Gorm even if they do not address many of their prayers to their deity. Or at least, this is how I feel dwarven clerics should be... rather than a priest tending to a flock and giving sermons (Although this is a small part of it)... but an example... a paragon of a particular part of Dwarfdom. Clerics, Divine Champions, Paladins, and even Druids could all fit into this concept.

The Master Tradesman/Craftsmen/Artist
Dwarves are nothing if not patient, and are known as a race for pursuing their craft across many years. This patient determination, long lifespan and attention to detail means that dwarven craftsmen often go on to become masters of their craft. They usually work in metals, stone or jewels, the treasures of their earthen homes. But that is not to say that there are not other crafts, My Dwarf, Whurak, is a Leatherworker, who whilst not a master of his craft, has in the past made leather goods out of Dragonhide.

Artists, whilst not a particularly well known dwarven trade are certainly present within the race. Most "Artists" would be sculptors or such people who work stone into beautiful shapes, statues and mosaic floors. Tradesmen such as Engineers, Architects, traders, merchants are also popular among dwarves, although across Faerun dwarves can be found in almost every craft, trade and art. The Hold of Barak Runedar lacks many of these trades, but recently efforts to get into farming and reduce the holds reliance on imported foodstuffs have begun but due to a lack of skilled labour have been slow to pick up

I will probably stick some more up here when I think of them... but anyone wanting ideas, have at it :D

Player of:
- Whurak Thunderhammer
- Alvian Tegleiwalla

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 04 2016, 20:37 PM 

Tester

maglorine wrote:
Dwarven Mages seem in short supply for sure...

I had always thought it was a cultural thing that dwarven arcanists were uncommon. I'm not sure if there is any basis in FR for it but in stereotypical fantasy, dwarves often do no trust arcane magic and mages, feeling it endangers the clan or breaks away from tradition too much. Like, you would be more likely to find clerics and runecasters performing the same jobs as wizards in most dwarven communities or something. Maybe artificers.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 05 2016, 3:27 AM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
maglorine wrote:
Dwarven Mages seem in short supply for sure...

I had always thought it was a cultural thing that dwarven arcanists were uncommon. I'm not sure if there is any basis in FR for it but in stereotypical fantasy, dwarves often do no trust arcane magic and mages, feeling it endangers the clan or breaks away from tradition too much. Like, you would be more likely to find clerics and runecasters performing the same jobs as wizards in most dwarven communities or something. Maybe artificers.

Yup, there is basis in the lore. 2ed was exactly that, arcane magic just didn't function well in the hands of dwarves for some unknown reason hence why they became master engineers and builders. As a society they couldn't rely on magic to assistant with such work so coupled with their inate skill with stone and metal they did everything the hard way. 3ed changed this with Moradin's Thunder Blessing which divinely raised the birth rates of the dwarves to counter the dwindling populations. A side effect of this (intentional or not only the gods know) was that arcane magic began to function for dwarves. In fact some of those born of the Thunder Blessing, in rare instances found themselves with inate arcane abilities. Probably to give a reason how dwarfs could have the sorcerer class. Instead of shunning these kin, dwarfs see them as divinely blessed. Perhaps a spark of divine magic was passed to them from the Thunder Blessing, or Moradin went around impregnating dwarf women Zeus style. However since the Thunder Blessing only took place less than one generation ago in Dwarf terms (1306) old attitudes would still hold over arcane magic. Most dwarf PCs, including my own, generally role play a distrust for arcane magic and their practitioners, preferring not to rely on it to solve problems. Divine magics are preferred through runecasters or priests when magical interventions needed. But this is no reason not to play a dwarf mage, as it is no longer out of the realms of lore. I would say however most dwarf mages would be from places outside of traditional dwarf strong holds, as there would be no one to teach the arcane arts there.

For class concepts I would have thought it would be fun to play a giant slayer dwarf, of the berserker variety with a big axe. Barb/WM. But really as others have said its always better to play your own concepts which interest you. A tip would be to read up on dwarf lore and see what strikes your fancy. The FR book, Dwarves Deep is a good start.

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 05 2016, 13:17 PM 

Player

As for arcane magic, yes, it's not a common or highly appreciated thing in dwarf societies. But, at least on Amia and its surroundings, arcane magic is sometimes needed, therefore it'd be best to have a dwarf do it, rather than someone else.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 05 2016, 18:08 PM 

Tester

Found this interesting thread on Candlekeep related to dwarves and arcane magic. It says basically the same thing. However, there appears to have been a dwarven magic college in the days of Netheril, but after the Fall they gave it up. That's the closest thing the dwarves would have to a magical tradition I guess, and even that was but a very few of them a long, long time ago.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 07 2016, 17:09 PM 

Player

Random question:
How is rune magic understood here mechanically? Does it matter? I am used to idea that rune magic is represented by wizards or sorcerors. However I guess not many folks interested in dwarfs are also interested in playing scholarly type of dwarf, which feels kinda undwarfish.

CET time zone

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 07 2016, 17:59 PM 

Player

I have one runecasting cleric, and basically it gives no mechanical advantages or disadvantages. It's just for the RP. Main thing being that my cleric draws runic fonts in the air as he casts, but can also do them on surfaces and turn them into traps with special trigger mechanisms. Because of that knowledge he can also locate other people's rune magic more easily.

Nalkanar

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 07 2016, 18:20 PM 

Player

Okay, it seems I was not understood.

Runemagic - what class is usually used for roleplaying this way of magic, since there are no runes in NWN system?

CET time zone

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 07 2016, 19:15 PM 

Player

Clerics would be the typical ones in dwarfy context, but I can't see why wizards or sorcerers wouldn't be able to do it on some level at least. Of course, the Rune Caster PrC I'm going with seems to be strictly for divine casters.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 08 2016, 7:51 AM 

Player

What Infernal said but also in 3.5ed they added a Runesmith PrC which functioned more or less the same as the divine Runecaster PrC except with arcane magics. I recall it is found in the Races of Stone source book. Although, it is not a specificly a FR setting book. The Runecaster PrC can be found in the Players Guide to Faerun book. There is a reason why rune magic is a dwarven thing and divine, something to do with the history of the dethek language and the issues with dwarfs and arcane magic. I think its in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, or even the Players Guide to Faerun. I forget. I do remember that Giants use rune magic too as they share the same written language as dwarfs, as do many other races.

Candle

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 10 2016, 15:14 PM 

Player

Aurora wrote:
"Runedar Raider"
The Barak Runedar Raiders were established in the "Winter War" against a horde of Orcs and Giants. Their founding ethos was one of special operations. Against the much larger orcish forces, they were meant to strike t the enemy before melting back into the wilderness. Other duties involve scouting and keeping an eye on enemies in the snows. A Perfect niche for someone wanting to play a Rogue or a Ranger, or in fact anyone who likes sneaking around in the woodlands, setting traps for Orcs and giants alike.

Actually, I recently created a grumpy dwarf who after the "free level" from the delivery quest, is rogue1/fighter2. Trying to play him as a scout who was a soldier first, turned scout, turned mercenary looking for a place to call home. I actually have to re-roll him because I meant to pick Gold Dwarf as the race but forgot to enter it. Is there a way to change the subrace on my own or should I just re-roll?

A Majestic Dwarf

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 19:44 PM 

Player

Other than DM assistance.... Not that I can think of

Soldier first is good, such would often be the case with military based scouts anyway, starting off as soldiers with a nose for sneaking about and getting into trouble, and then being put to use elsewhere. I like Fighter based Rogue builds as well, you get a nice mix of skills, sneakiness and fighting ability. For instance my Dwarven Rogue is only slightly more Rogue than he is Fighting classes.

Player of:
- Whurak Thunderhammer
- Alvian Tegleiwalla

Dergaii

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 11 2016, 20:15 PM 

Player

I used to play a dwarf with an arcane perspective on runes. I started to write out a more in depth theory of his interpretation of them but I'm afraid I didn't continue it. It's still nibbling at the edges of my mind to do so one day. (Quite liked the character as well but couldn't keep up with the awesomeness)
http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=53686

fairdady

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 12 2016, 17:56 PM 

Player

I loved Dergaii's concept for his dorf. He has been the closest to what I call a "Geomancer" that I've seen so far. IP's Rugnar is a close second, though he is more divine, where as Dergaii's was more arcane. Both are damn fine dorf RPers.

NAUX

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 22 2017, 13:46 PM 

Player

*The cart puller walked down the cobbled street of the deathly quiet forum topic town. The carts wooden wheels and frame creaking noisily with each stone. Shutters on the decrepit looking topic posts houses would slam shut as the cart approached along the street. Slowly the cart puller began his daily dirge, ringing a bell between each line of the chorus.*

"Bring out your dwarf... Bring out your dwarf... Bring out your dwarf...."

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

Commie

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 22 2017, 15:13 PM 

Player

i'm having fun with mine. but aside from the djinn event, your dwarf is the only other one i've seen.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

NAUX

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 22 2017, 15:32 PM 

Player

They are rather rare at the moment, and besides the small gathering on a Sunday and perhaps the occasional Friday, I was starting to think I was alone until I bumped in to a couple of recently, including yours (not that I was able to do any significant RP with some of them as one was grunting and speaking a strange tongue whilst standing in a queue, and another simply said or did nothing at all and ran the other way!).

Nothing brings out more dwarves better than an already established group of dwarves, we simply need to come together and get the keg rolling down hill to pick up more dwarves on its way down.

I might get Bolrid to paint his skin a shade of grey and head on down below the ground in search of kindred spirits that happen to share a similar height and width.

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

A Majestic Dwarf

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 13 2017, 19:30 PM 

Player

Right! With the help of a little Thread Necromancy, I am pushing this avenue. I am trying to get the Dwarf faction more active again, having grown tired of the previous fairly quiet meetings, and with circumstances in my life settling down and allowing me to put in more effort. So! We have some positions available, each of which come with planning your own events during the application process, so that we can get a bit of input as to what we do. Some may be fairly simple (Lets go kill the Giants) and some may be a little more involved.

Kings Thegn
Basically, a personal retainer to the King. However, rather than the whole Arthurian Knight feel, or using the term retainer in the form of a servant. How I see these guys is more warriors who are bound to the King by bonds of trust, honour, loyalty, and in some cases kinship and friendship. Their Main IC function will be battering things to death, however, there are some cases where one of these Thegns will trusted to do things on behalf of Whurak. A Mechanism for Delegation and romps through hordes of enemies.

Events that would normally be run for these guys in mind - Training exercises, Patrols and also wandering around with Whurak when I go to RP with other people.

Master of Cermonies

This is a singular position, basically head Cleric. So if you want to plan festivals, be a cleric and give sermons and stuff. This is the place for you.

Also... we have a few upcoming Initiatives which I am hoping will spark some activity.

Expansion efforts
After the successful coin festival, the hold has some funds to burn, so we are putting that towards expanding our dock facilities. Looking for players to fill out key roles in the RP for this one.

Co-operation with the Elves
Led by Lady La Quella, there is some discussion going on as to cooperative expeditions between the elves and the dwarves. The nature of these expeditions is likely to be quite varied... but I hope there will be quite a bit for all tastes.

Weekly Dwarf Nights
I also want to set up a day during the week outside of meetings where players can come and get some Dwarf RP in. Our Sunday Meetings are not at a good time for everyone, and I appreciate that, so it would be good to get some more RP on other weeks. I am thinking a Friday!

Player of:
- Whurak Thunderhammer
- Alvian Tegleiwalla

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 14 2017, 7:32 AM 

Player

This may help.

https://youtu.be/pEig1D4sJdI

Magiros

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 14 2017, 16:17 PM 

Player

Aurora wrote:
Co-operation with the Elves
Led by Lady La Quella, there is some discussion going on as to cooperative expeditions between the elves and the dwarves. The nature of these expeditions is likely to be quite varied... but I hope there will be quite a bit for all tastes.

Just to comment on this. It is the intention to have interesting interaction between the classical dwarf/elf axis. Seeing the two so different races and their interaction with one another to bring some quite interesting situations I hope. In addition, the intention is to have more classical style D&D that enables skills and such to be used and not just kill all and win. Therefore, aiming that different types of characters are needed with different strengths. Even the whole getting the King of Barak Runedar to visit is made as a project, currently we are in the elven side working to get understanding of our visitors and to do arrangements to ensure positive outcome. Hence, more RP based, skill & competences based.. Trying to find use for the jobs available in game and giving an opportunity to player display that. While from my part, my character tries to work as coordinator, if there are characters and players who want to take responsibility over a part, I am more than happy to hand that to them. Though, I will keep an eye out and help where needed and if needed.

Later on, if things move that way.. There will be another meeting to set upon the arrangements.. Then preparations for the agreed thing, if agreed seeing to the RP outcome. IF all goes well, perhaps an expedition is an outcome.

Hence, a kind of chain of projects that are used as milestones to set things into smaller parts and allow different kind of characters to get involved through their classes/jobs/skillets.. However, I do believe here and there will be the part of hacking and slashing to remove things out of the way!

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 14 2017, 17:57 PM 

Player

I'll shamelessly use this topic to promote a more controversial dwarf RP for those who like things a bit nasty, shady and not all too righteous, while still remaining in the Runedar sphere of dwarfying around.

Runedar currently houses an official Abbathoran clan of dwarves, headed by my dwarf. Clan's been there for a time now, and there's a process going to attempt to solidify the faith inside the citadel. So, that's an avenue if you want a different flair for a dwarf PC. And no, this clan isn't in any way ostracized from the rest, so there's no fear of being excluded from faction RP or events.

Broldi

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 14 2017, 19:05 PM 

Player

Hoi. I made a dwarf. 'tis a wizard. Tis a fat, spell castin' beard!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next