View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Overneath

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 17:28 PM 

Player

What traits do you think make a character 'likeable'? What traits do you prefer seeing in an interaction that will make you more likely to repeat the experience? Do you believe there is a high concept that could be enjoyed by almost anyone during an interaction? What kinds of experiences have you had that led to enjoying interactions with a character? Do you tend to put aside in-character grudges or stereotypes if you, the player, enjoy interacting with a character? How do you tend to play that in-game?

This is a broad topic, I know, but I also have a feeling I won't quite see the same answer twice, here, especially since I don't mind if I receive answers from the thoughts of a player, a character, or both. Do you have a story, an anecdote, a list, a speech, an essay? Perhaps a haiku? I'm interested in any of those. Do YOU yourself play a character that most people think is likeable? How did you arrive at that result? Was it intentional? Do you find yourself changing the dynamic of that character to make them more suited to those expectations?

I could ask questions in this vein all day long, but I think you get the gist. Answer one, two, a few, a lot, a couple-few, a few-couple, or none at all. Color me interested!

davis114

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 17:54 PM 

Player

Any well played character is likeable to me. Bad, good, human, dwarf, elf, halfling, drow...really, anything. If I find that the player has a firm grasp of lore, and plays their character well, I like it.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 18:44 PM 

Player

Same as Davis. I enjoy everything if you're good at it. Amian players seem to me more likely to interact with a PC they OOCLY like even though they should ICly hate them... they find a way. But Amian players also seem way more likely to move to hostility first rather than act like carebears. So there's two sides. Which I find really refreshing. I love that you guys are trigger-happy, it keeps things exciting. You don't know how good you have it on this server.

I try my hardest to be true to my PC and not interact with people she wouldn't interact with. Makes me sad and makes me wish I had all the time in the world to make alts and interact with my fav people.

I can't think of anything almost anyone would enjoy (I thought of humor but then I remembered elves) except for PCs who take more time to give attention to others and make others feel special. Attention is the biggest currency. Good or bad, pleasant or painful.

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Tarnus

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 19:13 PM 

Player

Blue Moon wrote:
I can't think of anything almost anyone would enjoy (I thought of humor but then I remembered elves)

As the player of a certain elf with a tendency to play pranks and make terrible, terrible jokes, I do have to protest :P

Generally speaking, I like a certain amount of depth, the feeling that there is more then just some generally surfaced behaviors to the character. And as the previous posters, I like well played characters in general. This doesn't necessarily need to be expressed in long intricate emotes, but there are often times situations where it would help quite a lot. Specifically for the immersion part. Everyone has their little quirks and it is good to see them occasionally surface!

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Overneath

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 19:38 PM 

Player

I'd also like to protest, but mildly, on account of elves. I still remember when the fair folk were purveyors of art, song, dance, and the finer things in life. I don't think it comes across here very often, moreso as a backdrop for their more warlike or oracular aspects.

These responses are very interesting, though! I didn't quite expect that sentiment. If I may, I'd like to phrase a inference as a question. If a character was played as incredibly abrasive, would you then tend to like that character if the abrasion was intentional? Is the idea that the player having a firm grasp on the trait is more important than the trait itself? Further, could I trouble someone to give a more specific, personal definition of 'playing a character well'?

Personally, though this may not be quite the same thing, I take to stability. The idea that a character has particular traits and then abides by them. If I know what to expect from someone, it's easier to interact, both on an IC and OOC level. One of my biggest self-direction pet peeves is when one of my characters acts out of character due to my own influence, as I feel it contradicts the story they're telling.

NinjaClarinet

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 22:17 PM 

Player

Any character that is inclusive and gets people involved is likable to me. You can be belligerent, hostile, rude or confrontational, but if you keep the RP flowing, I'm cool. I try to hold to this with Vale. He's a grouchy hardass and a giant dick, but I -try- to give people something to work with. Even when he is in positions of authority he'll never enforce a banishment list or add any names to it, because bad guys are more fun when they can be bad guys.

Characters that are constantly running off, breaking up groups, laying down banishments, fighting super-hard behind faction forums to keep those banishments in place and people away from RP, or generally being petty gossips that only serve to reinforce cliques, are my big turn-offs. They don't really seem to advance any story but their own, very well.

Characters that exist solely to be annoying or disruptive aren't terribly endearing, either. I love story-driven conflict, but there's a difference. Unfortunately, I find that most monster-PCs are more disruptive than than storyful.

Overneath

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 22:40 PM 

Player

There's more than one way to discourage someone's involvement, though. A ban may be final, but I don't personally go out of my way to put myself in places where interactions have been toxic when that wasn't the original intent, either. Neither do my characters - why would you, for example, ICly go back to a safe haven where an official has tried to murder you, ban or no? There's something to be said for the natural inclination to AVOID hostile PCs, in my mind. And whether or not that's the intent, hostility as a personality trait can be noninclusive all its own.

This is all just me, though, and part of the reason I asked the question - in real life, we usually try to avoid such things. Do we IC? If not, why?

Elyon

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 16 2016, 23:18 PM 

Player

This might just be me, but I really like characters that are 'contentious' but not so much towards everything. Krin, Dirk and Sully comes to mind. My character might disagree with their views and methods, but it's always interesting with whatever (blasphemous) theory they comes up with. Others want to argue against them, or even want to kill them because of their distinct views away from mainstream. It feels spontaneous and I've noticed people want to react/interact to that, generating hours of RP. That character might be a 'hate or love' kind of person. For me, that makes them stand out and is value-worthy to interact with. Therefore, likeable!

Overneath wrote:
This is all just me, though, and part of the reason I asked the question - in real life, we usually try to avoid such things. Do we IC? If not, why?

Whilst I played someone who was once a fraction leader, banning is all IC. Of course, Rosary was pressured to keep everyone safe and all the members who demanded someone should be banned. She's true to her democracy and that's what she promised as the Mayor. And since it's Bendir... she had to deal with a lot of that despite how much I, as the player, wanted to turn a blind eye. Infact I've noticed that the good guys like to hang around Bendir to witchhunt the bad guys that lurk around, this generated a lot of RP. (Although sometimes it got a little toxic on all sides which was pretty bad).

So to answer your question, I'd say if your character is really committed to an idea, you don't have to use OOC as an excuse to not avoid it. No one can blame you for doing something in character.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]