View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Krin

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 20 2016, 23:16 PM 

Player

I've been having a weird crash problem with NWN recently. What happens is the screen will go completely black and the only way to get out of it is restarting the computer from the case. There aren't any warning signs that I've seen and the game runs fine up until it happens. When the computer comes back up and I try to get into the server, it says that the server I was on is offline.

So.. if I crashed on Amia A, it'll say that Amia A is offline but still allow me to see and get into Amia B without any problems. Even using the Direct Connect function doesn't work and, as far as I know, the only way I can get back into the other server is by waiting for a server reset. I'm using Windows 10 with an AMD R9 390. Has anyone else had this problem?

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 20 2016, 23:29 PM 

Player

If a system interrupt (ctrl + alt + delete) won't get you back to windows and out of a black screen you got some problems that are very likely not NWN related.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Krin

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 20 2016, 23:53 PM 

Player

I was thinking that too, but I don't have that problem with anything other than NWN. It has only ever happened while playing NWN.

davis114

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 21 2016, 0:37 AM 

Player

Sounds like a hardware issue. If your display drivers are up to date, I'd say your cpu is overheating. Do you have any way of monitoring the internal temperature? Or a way of raising the cpu fan to a higher limit? Or has it been a while since it's been cleaned?

If you can't monitor the temperature, tools like Real Temp or HWInfo can help. I think Windows 10 has a built in admin feature for that though.

MoshingChris wrote:
Dude makes like a drunk even when he's sober.

Krin

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 21 2016, 2:34 AM 

Player

I'll try the tracking the temp and see if anything weird happens. Thanks for the tip!

Krin

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 22 2016, 0:36 AM 

Player

Just had another random crash. I was monitoring the CPU temps this time and it was steady around 45c. I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL to see if that would work and it did..sort of. The screen went from black to a very bugged out looking Windows 10 crash screen. The computer restarted shortly afterwards and came up without a problem. I was on Amia A when I crashed, but now I can only see Amia B and attempting to Direct Connect to A or get there through B gives me a message that the server can't be found. The drivers are all up to date too.

Soooo... this is weird. I play much higher end games than NWN on this computer and I've never had any issues with overheating or crashing. Being unable to reconnect to the server I crashed on is especially weird..Any ideas?

Commie

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 22 2016, 0:57 AM 

Player

It could be because it's a very old app, but honestly if you're making windows 10 take a shit you very likely have some serious issues.

Test your ram and hard drive. Also find the windows 10 event viewer (im not too familiar with windows 10 so google for it) and see if it's printing errors about shit breaking. It's pretty good about doing that if you actually make it to an error 'screen' before it goes dark.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

davis114

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:07 PM 

Player

Yeah, the second problem I would go to would be a memory problem. The Event Viewer should help, at least in regards to what module or dll is crashing. If there's nothing there, testing or reseating what RAM you have is a good call. We can go from there. If it doesn't happen on other games, I doubt its a driver issue. I haven't run Windows 10 for anything but apps that are built for it, so I'm not sure exactly where the issue would be. If it's not a memory issue, I'd say its a compatibility issue. Which is where we're probably going to have to get complicated.

MoshingChris wrote:

davis114

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 24 2016, 21:45 PM 

Player

How we doing on this?

MoshingChris wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]