View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 09 2017, 17:55 PM 

Player

I have some questions, that might be obvious to some, but I'm asking anyway.

In an effort to more efficiently communicate and work with our DM team, I'd like to know how exactly to propose events, missions, ideas, etc.

What do I mean? Well, let's say I had a band of minstrels, and I wanted this band of minstrels to travel to a town or area, have a performance, pick the people's pockets, etc, and I wanted it to be bigger than just the three random PC's that might show up, something for the commoners to enjoy.

Do I simply write to the DM of that particular area and propose my idea? Ask them to help?

Also, if I was to receive no response... how long before I should ask again? What's the lead time on getting something like this to happen?

Why am I asking?

I see little things constantly where a person had a DM work with them either as a single person event or just a few. I've been asking DM's to help with this, and two have not responded, and the third was busy at the time. I've sent PM's, I've sent Skype messages.

I don't mean to come across as impatient, nor rude in any way. And.. I realize you're all volunteers, but, I am essentially leading a bit of a faction and if things just skid to a stop, people lose interest. Sadly, that's already happening. My questions weren't that difficult, or so I thought, and I can handle, "Well that won't work because XX", but I just wanted to know how long is reasonable to wait for the simple approval of an idea of an event, let alone getting the event to occur.

Again, not trying to be rude, I would really like to know the protocol for such things, as apparently I am doing something wrong and I would like to be able to move events along for my faction.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 09 2017, 18:23 PM 

Player

You can pick either really, ask a specific DM or ask the whole team to see who has time.

That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 09 2017, 18:26 PM 

Player

Thanks Ama, how long is appropriate to wait for things to occur? Responses, etc? I don't want to be rude to anyone, so, a guideline would be helpful. I know times will vary, but... 2 days, 5 days? Weeks? What is appropriate to wait before bugging them again? That's for larger things though. Small things, whatever DM is there, yeah, even though I was told to see another DM for that even.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 09 2017, 18:35 PM 

Player

There isn't really a guideline here. For any response at all I would probably give it a gentle nudge after 2-3 days to see if they maybe forgot or if the message was drowned by other messages. If you already got a first response and something like "hey passing this on to see who has time and can plan it in" maybe 4-5 days to nudge again.

That Guy

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 09 2017, 18:36 PM 

Player

Fair enough! Thank you Amarice.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 10 2017, 19:17 PM 

Player

Ask every other day and encourage your people to do the same. Sit on rotation if you need you - you today, person B on wednesday, person C on Friday. Obviously this is a bit different if you're given a specifically scheduled day, but if you're just shouting out into the ether, and you're not getting any replies at all from any DM, there's no reason to not ask for updates, because I guarantee you there is at least 1 DM that can get you an update of some sort, even if it's just "I spoke to them in Skype, and they said they'd get back to you." Copy the PM to every active DM even if it's not the DM who is working on your situation. This keeps your work in the DM's minds and also ensures that every DM stays on top of what's going on. Nothing slips through the cracks because even if one DM misses it, the other 6 will get the message.

That Guy

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 10 2017, 20:23 PM 

Player

Tormak, thank you for all of that, but...

Doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous to have to go to that much effort just to get a DM's attention? Is it really that bad? Well, yeah, it is... from my experience lately.

I suppose I'll just find ways to not need a DM's intervention, as I just don't have time to bother people all the time that don't want to be bothered.

But again, than you for the input.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 11 2017, 1:18 AM 

Player

Quote:
Doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous to have to go to that much effort just to get a DM's attention?

Yes.

Quote:
Is it really that bad?

Not always, but it can be.

Ama's advice is good, I just went a bit more indepth. I would always choose to message the entire DM team, because then you know they're all going to see it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]