View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
InquisitorBiologos

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 08 2017, 13:01 PM 

Player

Hi,

I'm new to NWN1 and Amia (been here about 2 weeks) and was just with a group of veterans in the Fire Giants and we got to the end room with the King and Queen Giants and on killing them a suit of epic armour "Arcane Defence Plate" was dropped along with a Belt, there was much excitement IC and OOC and the RP flowed and people started preparing to roll dice.

Then the loot bag despawned and none of the veterans had looted the items, the epic loot had vanished as well!

Unfortunately no one had taken a screen shot presumably as there was no reason at that point to do so, I was going to petition the DMs to resolve this as there was a few characters who wanted a chance for that plate (myself included) but I was told in no uncertain terms that without a screen shot nothing would be done.

This leads me to wonder if this apparently 2 minute life of opened loot bags is strictly speaking necessary and if its deemed it is could the life of the bag be perhaps extended to 10 minutes which would allow RP around it whilst allowing it to reset before the next respawn of the mobs?

I now realise that someone could have looted it and held it for the RP to take place but 4 veterans didn't consider this or feel ICly comfortable taking the item before its disposal was agreed, so I wondered if the system could support this just be lengthening the time before the bag despawns once opened.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Jes

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 08 2017, 13:58 PM 

DM

With the new dynamics will the timer really be necessary anymore? It was added to reduce lag from abandoned loot bags lying around forever, if I remember right. Now they'll all be killed with the areas when they're removed from the module, with the exception of the few areas with ley nodes.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

InquisitorBiologos

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 08 2017, 18:06 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:
With the new dynamics will the timer really be necessary anymore? It was added to reduce lag from abandoned loot bags lying around forever, if I remember right. Now they'll all be killed with the areas when they're removed from the module, with the exception of the few areas with ley nodes.

Just to clarify I only postulated 10 minute timer because I assumed there was some advantage in terms of "lag" in removing loot bags, but I'd be happier if the bags just didn't despawn at all, after all unopened bags do not despawn so yes lets just have them not depawn at all until fully looted.

Because they do despawn I lost a chance at a pretty cool bit of loot, more so because it was epic I'm told with no means of recourse. :(

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 08 2017, 18:57 PM 

DM

Eh. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Next time someone pick up the loot, and then you guys roll for it after.

InquisitorBiologos

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 08 2017, 19:19 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
Eh. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Why, what is lost by it given that unopened bags do not despawn?

Maverick00053 wrote:
Next time someone pick up the loot, and then you guys roll for it after.

The suggestion is not valid or invalid because of this example, but the idea came to me because of it.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 09 2017, 13:37 PM 

DM

The despawn mechanic still has a pretty big impact on large DM events, and in general I am opposed to just reversing mechanics that aid server stability. Even if we took two steps forward with dynamics I dont think taking one step back is a good idea.

InquisitorBiologos

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 09 2017, 15:35 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
The despawn mechanic still has a pretty big impact on large DM events, and in general I am opposed to just reversing mechanics that aid server stability. Even if we took two steps forward with dynamics I dont think taking one step back is a good idea.

Unopened bags don't depawn, so how is this any difference if the timer is extended or removed entirely?

Revak

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 09 2017, 15:54 PM 

Player

InquisitorBiologos wrote:
Unopened bags don't depawn, so how is this any difference if the timer is extended or removed entirely?

Because the majority of people will open the loot bags, although not everyone grabs the loot (e.g. DM events, high levels cutting their way through a low level area).

Maybe it might be worth extending the timer once opened to five minutes? That way it gives individuals/groups ample time to pick up the loot. I know i've had moments where my internet has crashed as soon as i've opened a bag.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 09 2017, 16:01 PM 

DM

Yeah. Extending it a bit shouldnt hurt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]