View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13 2018, 0:25 AM 

Player

FYI

https://steamcommunity.com/games/704450 ... 1707798027

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15 2018, 17:07 PM 

Player

I certainly plan on buying it.

Fel'Brin - I am one with the shadows

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15 2018, 17:23 PM 

Player

Considering my schedule, I am probably only going to bujy it about a week and a half after the realease... Which should give me info about how it worked out...

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 17 2018, 5:48 AM 

Player

So guys, it's about time to bring a few things into reality when we discuss the transition to EE. I think most of us would agree we'd like to see the switch, but the truth of it to my knowledge is that we're lacking the actual resources to do it at our current state.

As far as I know, we're lacking in developers, scripters, or people with just the general knowledge on how to make the switch. I'm not pointing this out to try to discourage anyone, please don't think that at all.

If anything, at this moment I'm trying to encourage any player who knows anything about this stuff and contact the DM team to see what needs to be done. The only way this will happen is if we work together as a community and we're vocal about it. If money is an issue, that isn't a problem for most of us I'd guess. I would personally try to donate whatevers needed and I'm sure a lot more of you would also.

So I guess this is a callout, and a wakeup call. Please if you have any capability in making this happen make it known. I'm sorry if I'm talking without any real knowledge, but this is just my perspective of what I see.

I have faith in our community, so let's make it work.

Budly

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 17 2018, 22:40 PM 

Player

TheCortroy wrote:
So guys, it's about time to bring a few things into reality when we discuss the transition to EE. I think most of us would agree we'd like to see the switch, but the truth of it to my knowledge is that we're lacking the actual resources to do it at our current state.

As far as I know, we're lacking in developers, scripters, or people with just the general knowledge on how to make the switch. I'm not pointing this out to try to discourage anyone, please don't think that at all.

If anything, at this moment I'm trying to encourage any player who knows anything about this stuff and contact the DM team to see what needs to be done. The only way this will happen is if we work together as a community and we're vocal about it. If money is an issue, that isn't a problem for most of us I'd guess. I would personally try to donate whatevers needed and I'm sure a lot more of you would also.

So I guess this is a callout, and a wakeup call. Please if you have any capability in making this happen make it known. I'm sorry if I'm talking without any real knowledge, but this is just my perspective of what I see.

I have faith in our community, so let's make it work.

I am pretty bad at it, but I been doing som "Hobby" building back in the days, I would step up and do my best to try and work on some Amia : EE server. Least just try to show interest and maybe learn something while at it and maybe some more jump on thats better at it!

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Zafriah

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:42 AM 

Player

TheCortroy wrote:
If money is an issue, that isn't a problem for most of us I'd guess. I would personally try to donate whatevers needed and I'm sure a lot more of you would also.
Please if you have any capability in making this happen make it known.

Yes
Happy to donate money, but I don't have the talents to do much more than that.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 21 2018, 17:06 PM 

Player

Release next Tuesday.

Lutra

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 21 2018, 18:56 PM 

Player

Thanks for the support everyone. We are discussing it as a team but we will only be able to say anything once it is released and the competent ones evaluate the possible compatibility issues.

angst360

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 21 2018, 23:28 PM 

Player

T0mc4t89 wrote:
Release next Tuesday.

It might be a little buggy...
https://support.baldursgate.com/issues? ... Cid%3Adesc

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 22 2018, 1:00 AM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
Thanks for the support everyone. We are discussing it as a team but we will only be able to say anything once it is released and the competent ones evaluate the possible compatibility issues.

I think everyone is understandable about that, the only expectation is (likely, just pulling this from my ass) communication about if/how things are going when that point comes.

I know y'all can do it, though! 8)

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 27 2018, 19:34 PM 

Player

Fenguard

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28 2018, 1:54 AM 

Player

IT IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

The scare of 'they dont include the 1.69 update and kill all classic PW's' is BUNK. Launched today and it has 1.69!
There's 400 players on what little EE servers there are on DAY ONE.
It's the 3rd top seller in the USA, and 5th globally on steam!

IN OTHER WORDS

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28 2018, 6:56 AM 

Player

Sounds sweet and a great opportunity for Nwn's and Fan's of old and new! Definitely on my Bday wish to upgrade!

Herr Delta Houdini

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28 2018, 9:39 AM 

Player

Update: Server listings started working for me and when trying to connect to a server it asks you to enter a name,
which seems to be how we will be able to access characters if Amia does switch over (Obviously, Amia has it's CD-Key auth checks in place,
which stop just anyone jumping on to our accounts, so with the nature of being able to use any name,
I imagine there's still the security we require for our characters/accounts).

I bought it and I've taken a very quick look at it. There are some positives that might sweeten it a little bit,
that I've found, although it's not all that extensive so far:

Minimising, or tabbing out work super-smoothly.
    Windowed mode works a treat.
    Windowed mode is easily resizeable!
    (As expected, but just to confirm) modules, Haks, overrides and so on are able to be copied and pasted over.
    The game (seems) to run more smoothly than before.

Testing this was limited (I spawned in a lot of NPCs and caused them to fight,
while throwing in various spells that are liable to cause lag: Wail of Banshee, Meteor, Cloudkill etc.).
There was an initial hit of lag/framerate when the mass of NPCs spawned in, but otherwise ran smoothly.
I didn't test performance for different Tilesets, which will be worth looking in to,
the forest tileset we use on Amia is infamous for causing framerate jitters, for example.

Some not so good stuff:
    File/Folder locations are a bit different (Though not that big a deal).
    It appears any actual graphical improvements rely on either steam workshops or what we use already from the likes of the NWvault etc.
    UI Scaling isn't a nice as it sounded, but I think it will be more useful for anyone on super-high resolutions or above 1080.
    No visible server lists (for me).
    Trying to enter the server selection screen often hangs as though the game will crash.
    I'm not sure how usernames are going to work, as some of us already know,
    usernames aren't a part of the authentication process and Beamdog doesn't prompt for username/password...
    because of this I'm not currently sure how we tell the game "I'm Herr Delta Houdini" to see the server list of characters,
    if Amia was to crossover (Maybe this can be set in an .ini, I'm sure it could for NWN)

They added in some insignificant effects, like a pre-defined SweetFX.
I'll add them as links due to the 900px restriction.

Here are some shots of the folder locations and the differences I mentioned, the first two are inside of the steamapps folder, third is inside of Documents:

As you can see, the likes of the naming is different for the games root folder and subs,
along with some other differences (I think the .ini's were normally in the NWN folder,
rather than found in Documents).

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28 2018, 13:44 PM 

Player

Geeze the smooth minimizing is a huge improvement for me.

Also, I've noticed that while I use 2 screens, it locks my cursor from dragging of the one screen and causing my camera to spin around. Both pluses in my book.

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28 2018, 18:20 PM 

Player

The sooner we make this switch (hopefully) means the sooner we have the potential of seeing 64/64 on the playerlist again. Let's make it happen. Sooner then later.

Nidemus

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29 2018, 6:18 AM 

Player

I for one am very happy they did EE, small price tag but of all the features stated we get something that has hindered Amia for some years....In game Visability.

While i'm well aware of the several other sites that show some presence for Amia but ever since game spy went down it's been a pale shadow of it's former glory and i for one would like to see this grand old RP server filled anew with an abundant new wave of players eager to try their hand at it.

Fenguard

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29 2018, 6:48 AM 

Player

As far as I can see the only negative reviews on the game on Steam are 'Its not prettier' and a sprinkling of 'no new single player content'. Neglecting the fact that
A.) Graphic changes are coming, check the 'Previews' in the workshop: A & B
B.) The major focus of EE was the multiplayer aspect. Bamdog is working to un-hardcode features to make them more customizable for the community to work with and do as they please with it. Yeah you can call them lazy for that, but fuck that argument I for one WANT them to suit up community creators with things we couldn't do before, like they are. It'll make those servers with teams taht work hard to make them amazing truly amazing, more than what was possible with the old NWN game.
C.) Bioware wasn't planning on re-releasing this game, nor BG1 & 2, nor Icewind Dale. So who gives a shit if Beamdog is profiting from their work if it means saving these incredible games from oblivion? I certainly don't mind it one bit.

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29 2018, 9:44 AM 

Player

As someone who hasn't bought EE yet, mostly because I'm away next week anyway, and I don't feel like the hassle of installing it and all, when my main reason of playing it is not on EE, I still wanted to talk about your point A:
I do think it's pretty bs for companies to do this whole "early access" stuff. I dislike the fact that some games are perpetually early access, and are shut down after the beta hype died down. If they had the full release, they'd have made lot of money as well, but they just keep it early access. It just seems dumb to me.
At the same time, I feel like the opposite is just as dumb: releasing a full game, only to say "the main stuff is coming soon, we just weren't finished with the full game yet"... Especially after there -was- an early access version...

That said, this is me criticising the company, just because I think that move is... dumb and annoying. This isn't a judgement about the game (which I'm 100% buying anyway), or even the other stuff the company has done with the game. I just think that a negative review kind of is deserved if a full release of the game doesn't have what they promised.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29 2018, 10:58 AM 

Player

Money is not the biggest issue here.

The biggest issue here is if the nwnx is compatible with our plug ins and custom content or not. Which I am currently poking people to help figure out.

- If it is compatible then it would be great and I would see no issue in swapping.

- If it is not then I am afraid we probably cannot switch no matter how much money we get donated and if we have devs or not because it would literally be so many codes that need changing that it would take weeks even with the "man"power. And swapping in weeks/months.... will be too late.

Now before people toss stones and yell at us, we had no info of this coming beforehand until it was made public, which was not all that long ago. And even then all our devs had ensured us they cannot tell us if it will work or not until it is actually released. We will look into it now then that it is and see what we can or can't do.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 30 2018, 9:16 AM 

DM

Fundamental problem here is that Amia uses Windows NWNX while Nwn EE uses Linux NWNX. I honestly cant say if we can switch over or not. Hopefully we can get answers sooner rather than later.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 30 2018, 14:00 PM 

Player

One of the key issues here is that the release was (IMHO) way too early.

The EE is far from done yet. Which means it is hard to predict what will all still change. And all could still change, in theory.

Mrlala

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 18:53 PM 

Player

I've seen Arelith and Salvation on EE with decent numbers, unfortunately for me both don't really speak to me enough in order to buy NWN EE. For me Amia and NWN are one, they are bonded for me. I can't think of playing NWN without playing it on Amia :)

When or if amia goes to EE, I'll just follow. Keep up the motivation and good work amian DM team.

Best regards,
lala

walnutboy

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 20:49 PM 

Player

Well i bought it, i bought it when it was early release and from that point on struggled to have it connect to a server which held any added content and wasn't just running the basic game... which sucked and for a while had turned me off actually using it. Thankfully, after much working through with someone i used to game with it finally yielded fruit and i was online... though given that there are, at present, only a few servers who have made the change the scope for play is limited.

I think what has turned me off the game a little hasn't been the fact its now cheaper on Steam than it was when i bought it from Beamdog, but the community! I read a post recently where someone asked a question about what you actually got for your money if you repurchased the game and they were greeted with open hostility and branded a Naysayer!! Seriously, the guy asked a question given that most stuff posted as to what the game would have was just that... would have, not did have at time of release. It's a valid point really, if you buy something you usually do so based on what it comes with and not what they hope to be able to add to it or sell to you at a later date!

Yes if you're into NWN you buy it, i did, but being called out for asking a question, branded a Naysayer and then hounded as a Beamdog hater for being unable to personally justify repurchasing a game you currently play with working addons just for what they hope to achieve in the future... really bit me. I get it, the multiplayer works but in my personal experience it only works for servers which don't use any additional content... which kinda sucks. They fixed something and brought it up to date while regressing it back to what it was when originally released. Someone tried to make a point that it doesn't work right with NWNX only to be shouted down that the current Beamdog team employ those who coded for NWNX and it will be compatible with the code... i don't code but even i know that just because something is coded the same doesn't mean it will work cross platform, straight away unless someone actually takes the time to check it bit by bit.

NWN now suffers with the same issues it did before EE, lack of interest. The addons and plugins will only work, regardless of base compatibility, if those people who originally produced them return and see the value in updating them... which from what i can see, many don't share Beamdogs vision for a Steam, all in one, based future.

This isn't to say i'm a no, i'll switch when i feel such is right for me... at present i have both installed and both work pretty much the same, crashes included, so i will wait it out BUT right now it is the community tearing at itself which puts me off even playing in general. :(

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 20:54 PM 

Player

The Windows/Linux divide with nwnx is probably the biggest nail in the coffin for Amia moving to EE, I'd agree.

LeathanKayne

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 21:06 PM 

Player

I think if they were really, seriously, concerned about the community, and not the profit of high-rezing a few graphics, they would have worked hard to ensure it was backwards compatible with normal NWN servers. Honestly, I can't see what this has added to the overall community of NWN except further division.

I'll note I don't have EE and whatnot, so this is just an opinion based on feeling at the moment rather than intense research - as honestly, I can't be bothered with something that will likely do Amia more harm than good.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01 2018, 22:17 PM 

Player

To be fair, it is backwards compatible - but almost every server over the years has essentially developed proprietary architecture unshared with any other server running on custom built backends that each utilize nwnx (and other tools) in their own ways. That's not even counting haks.

There's some stuff you just can't plan for or work for.

LeathanKayne

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 0:52 AM 

Player

True enough, I suppose!

Lutra

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 18:53 PM 

Player

Bought it and tried it today. The gamma slider bugs me big time. Not being able to see the game I play has an impact on my gaming experience apparently!

Aside from that..while I respect the work Beamdog and others invested in it I just remain unimpressed. Seeing that it was inspired by the Baldur's Gate and IWD series of EEs, I do not see anything huge that would enhance the gaming experience much on the player side. No new classes, no new features or anything taken over from NWN2 that would otherwise spice the gameplay experience up. So aside from the plastic surgery they made on an old game it is not much of an EE experience imho.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 21:31 PM 

Player

Jesus when will they just make NWN3 :x

Zafriah

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02 2018, 21:42 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
Bought it and tried it today. The gamma slider bugs me big time. Not being able to see the game I play has an impact on my gaming experience apparently!

Yes! I hate the darkness too.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 03 2018, 0:32 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Jesus when will they just make NWN3 :x

You really don't want that unless EA releases its choke hold on Bioware. 10% game, 45% DLC, 45% Micro transactions. :lol:

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 03 2018, 2:19 AM 

Player

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 03 2018, 2:33 AM 

Tester

Bioware can't make money off of a system where people can host their own servers, have free online play, and use modding tools to tailor the game to their own tastes. In other words, never going to happen(again). That's what makes NWN so special, in my book.

vhunelar

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 04 2018, 11:48 AM 

Player

__

Last edited by vhunelar on Thu, Apr 05 2018, 12:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Hrothmus

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 05 2018, 1:20 AM 

Player

vhunelar wrote:
Ok, disclaimer, I was never for the enhanced edition so I'm totally bitchily biased. It always looked like one or two features added where a whole new game should have been made. Literally less than 1% enough for me.

That said, to give it a spin and try on the servers that have switched just bought it - and as it seems unpopular these days to come out against this product so i'm going to make a conscious decision to be unpopular.

Everything I have seen in this 'upgrade' is lackluster. Where is all the freely available community content already loaded into my existing client? Where is the easy screen to load it a-new if not there already? Why did it fragging crash 3 times in my first 10 minutes of use??

This thing has added effectively zero functions. If we were an evil wizard who had ordered some fool group of adventurers to get us a rare a valuable item we wanted and they brought back this piece of junk and demanded MONEY for it.....well lets just say it wouldn't end well for them.

The enhanced edition is NOT enhanced. That's all. A server list [we used to have one] does not a purchasable product make.

Amia does or does not use it I don't care. I have it now if they do.

Best to all, yes including those who love the new product, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the utility of this over-hyped piece of shite.

I can certainly understand the arguments you have put forth and I agree that generally, functionally, you don't get what you pay for it, absolutely.

That said, I've noticed a couple things that make it more desirable than than playing it on GoG or CD or wherever you can get it nowadays.

1) Tabbing in and out is MUCH smoother and easier. Doing so with my current version is quite painful and it is refreshing to play EE where I can quickly minimize the screen to do something and hop back on. (this is double important when the server is practically empty and I am mostly just idling in game to try to draw people in)

2) Operations with Multi Screens. Currently, I have a dual screen setup. if I move my curor to far towards the edge of the screen, the mouse pushes over to my second monitor and the screen starts rotating like crazy. EE seems to have fixed this by locking the cursor onto the screen. While this is not a huge deal, its just another little touch that makes the day to day playing a bit more comfortable.

3) STEAM! The VAST majority of my games are on steam. From my experience and IMO, Steam makes game management super easy and convenient.

4) New players going forward. As an incoming new player to the game, I am almost certain that they are going to buy the EE on steam and not try to fiddle with buying the older versions. This means that if servers want to maximize the chance of picking up new players, they need to move to the new structures that the new players will be entering.

5) Funding / Backing / Publicity - I can't speak for everyone and I am sure that there are many people that are not this fortunate, but, I have enough funds to buy the EE without thinking too much of it. Even if I never really intended to play it, I would probably still buy it just to help push the sale numbers up. I'm sure you have heard the term "Vote with your wallet". As NwN is game that I love, and a genre that I love, I want EE to be very successful so that there is a higher potential for more or future work to be done on it. Again, I am fully aware that not everyone is in such a position to buy a game just to back a game genre.

All that said, just little things so far that make it easier for me. I want it to be successful and I want it to draw the attention of other games for the good of the game and genre. As I stated earlier, I agree that you are not getting enough content, updates, or enhancement to warrant the price tag.

I'm not responding to your post in order to try to convince you of my way of thinking, just sharing some of the insight as a person who likes the EE.

Ðraco

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2018, 4:24 AM 

Player

Hrothmus wrote:
4) New players going forward. As an incoming new player to the game, I am almost certain that they are going to buy the EE on steam and not try to fiddle with buying the older versions. This means that if servers want to maximize the chance of picking up new players, they need to move to the new structures that the new players will be entering.

This is the single most important reason to upgrade to EE, I'm seeing a bunch of old servers burst back into life. I've been checking out Arelith there a little and it's full of random players new to the server wandering aimlessly. I'm seeing activity on a team pvp server for the first time since its glory days. EE didn't just make things a little prettier or smoother, you have to remember this game is 15 years old designed for 15 year old software and made to run on dial up. A lot of things have changed in technology in that time and EE takes advantage of that.

angst360

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2018, 6:03 AM 

Player

Yeah, but Arelith sucks... so that's not much of a selling point, imo.

On the flip side, the numbers on nwlist haven't dropped tremendously for 'old' nwn. If you take a look during peak hours you see that other servers are benefiting from Arelith's conversion to EE.

EE may be the future of nwn, or it might not. There are a lot of bugs to be worked out by a company that doesn't exactly have a reputation for working out all the bugs. Sure, it works on Arelith because Arelith was vanilla nwn to begin with.

Kudo's to the Amia devs for taking the wait and see approach.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2018, 6:11 AM 

Player

I'll put it bluntly, EE has a player base and it's got a lot of new people. If amia wants a chance of literally surviving as a server at all it will switch.

If the staf fcares even slightly about the survival of the server it will make the switch to EE.

If they don't intend to do it, they should make an open letter stating such and release the module scripts associated to the community so that people who still care can run the server on EE with a thriving community while amia continues to languish in its sort of dying, last legs.

The players who still care about amia shouldn't be forced to decide between a thriving, revitalized NWN community or a dying server that the staff are to indifferent to move.

EFU has moved to EE and went from 12 players on a good day to 40 at prime time and 20+ at midnight.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

angst360

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2018, 6:27 AM 

Player

bobofwestoregonusa wrote:
I'll put it bluntly, EE has a player base and it's got a lot of new people. If amia wants a chance of literally surviving as a server at all it will switch.

If the staf fcares even slightly about the survival of the server it will make the switch to EE.

If they don't intend to do it, they should make an open letter stating such and release the module scripts associated to the community so that people who still care can run the server on EE with a thriving community while amia continues to languish in its sort of dying, last legs.

The players who still care about amia shouldn't be forced to decide between a thriving, revitalized NWN community or a dying server that the staff are to indifferent to move.

EFU has moved to EE and went from 12 players on a good day to 40 at prime time and 20+ at midnight.

You might want to go back and read the rest of this page, particularly the part about nwnx for windows and nwnx for linux. ...just saying.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2018, 7:15 AM 

Player

Not moving to EE has nothing to do with what the staff actually wants and is simply the reality of the situation we are in at the moment.

Unless someone knows one or more competent devs/coders that are willing to sink in hundreds of hours into rewriting all of our custom plugins and scripts that have to be completely re-written for linux for free, then a move to EE doesn't seem possible at this time. Who knows, something might change; EE's nwnx version might get windows support as well or something else might happen that makes the move possible.

Believe me, everyone on the DM & Dev team would love nothing more than for Amia to be able to move to EE, but at this time it is simply not possible. And even if we were to move and cut everything that wouldn't work, that includes every dynamic area, almost every DM tool, logging tool, database entries, custom player ability, bans, cd key/account information etc etc etc etc. What would be left is less than 10% of Amia and everything else would have to be rebuilt from scratch, which again would take hundreds of dev hours from people that know how. We simply don't have the devs for it, and even if we were to recruit 5 right now, the time it would take to train them on how every custom thing works on Amia so that the whole thing doesn't break when they tinker with it, means that we are talking about a move timespan of months upon months if not a year. By then it's too late for Amia to grab any of the initial player swarm introduced with EE.

The staff isn't indifferent to a move, we are just as passionate about the server & it's future as every one of you. We have simply been realistic through this entire process, and sadly our reservations about the possibility of a move were proven right.

Ðraco

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07 2018, 18:05 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
The biggest issue here is if the nwnx is compatible with our plug ins and custom content or not. Which I am currently poking people to help figure out.

- If it is compatible then it would be great and I would see no issue in swapping.

- If it is not then I am afraid we probably cannot switch no matter how....

Have you guys not simply tried it on Enhanced Edition? Would it take a lot of work to just buy a copy on steam and load up Amia and see if it works and if you have a lot of work ahead of you? Maybe it wont work and you'll be out 20 dollars but then you'll know.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 09 2018, 0:44 AM 

Player

I could tell you right now that the "game would load" (POSSIBLY), but what you would expect of Amia simply would not work. Spawns would not work, loot would not drop, shops would be broken, weather scripts wouldn't work, none of the dev crit or custom feat or spellhooks would function, dynamic areas wouldn't work, the list goes on.

at best you'd be able to log in? You might not even get into Cordor.

These are all DB and NWNx dependant functions that rely on a windows version of NWNx that was essentially entirely written from scratch by Terra, Faded, Glim, Sheeler and Disco(?) over their time working on the server. nwnx does not natively support windows. Amia's entire infrastructure was custom built from scratch to support a version of nwnx that was basically custom made for it, one that is not supported by EE.

It's taking Arelith's full time dev team of a dozen+ contributers weeks to sort all this shit out.

Amia has ...

Well, I genuinely don't know who the active Dev team is at the moment. That's not an insult.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:46 AM 

Player

Just a thought, why not just reboot Amia on EE and start from scratch? Wipe the slate clean and start the story over from the beginning. A new story Arc, new Toons. We will be behind the preverble eight ball but it can be rebuilt. Will take time and dedicated folks but in a year or two it can be built up and they will come. *Coughs* Field of Dreams.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 09 2018, 2:56 AM 

Player

Even if the Dev Team had to start with one city like Cordor and branch out area's over time. I would be cool with this. Just spit balling and thinking of idea's. I always regretted not being here for the beginning. Would be awesome to experience it.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 09 2018, 3:02 AM 

Player

Can EE support CEP? Specifically Head Sets, clothing options and such?

Ðraco

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 09 2018, 3:38 AM 

Player

Impknightofireland wrote:
Can EE support CEP? Specifically Head Sets, clothing options and such?

Yep, CEP is the top of the list in the Steam Workshop, new mods are being added every day. I noticed Sinfar added one today but they're still 1.69. They have a gateway server on EE, as long as you downloaded the hak on steam EE players join there and get ported to the 1.69 server.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 09 2018, 5:11 AM 

Player

I... have this weird craving to have a rebooted Amia, now that it's mentioned. I've thought of it before, in terms of if the server moved to Shards or whatever came along. It would be interesting, for sure. Amia's lore is so damn awesome, but with so many people gone it would be an interesting way to get new players heavily involved without having to worry about 'stepping on toes', so to speak.

I'm more in favor of keeping Amia as it is, of course, though moving to EE. It will be hard work, but it can be done. After all, a lot of things needed to be reworked but there was never enough time/knowledge (hence why we always wanted people to come help!). That, and moving to Linux would be smart anyways, so if we had to move to EE we might as well do it Linux style. There's the possibility that people from other servers would help, like maybe people on Sinfar's team since they run Linux already.

Just thoughts. I haven't had the time or I would have rejoined the Dev Team already, but I would find it pretty damn interesting/fun to make the jump to linux.

Lascer

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:26 AM 

Player

Actually I think a reboot would be the best idea. I believe I said something similar before. If a direct port isn't possible, which it seems it is not (as we guessed, the massive amount of scripts don't work directly), there is almost no reason to even try to just continue from where we are into EE-Amia.

So start it over. Push the setting forward in time. Incorporate significant characters from Amian history into the canon lore of the next chapter.

The old Amia doesn't even have to be taken down. I don't know about server hosting, but I'd guess /something/ could be figured out. Leave Legacy-Amia going, set a point canon lore diverges, and start the next chapter. Let it grow just like Amia did before.

Because otherwise it's essentially over.

We don't have the devs to work on our custom stuff? That's because it's dying. Everyone knows it, and has known it.

Know how we get more devs? Switch to EE. Just like before, the staff will change and grow, as long as there is interest in the server. We certainly aren't going to get more by NOT switching. Not unless EE goes belly up, or if someone had a secret dev team they've been keeping in their back pocket.

Is the server some scripts, or something else? Is it a community with values that set it apart from other servers? Is that what created the scripts, or did the scripts create the community?

It won't be the same. That's the point. It will be something new, but with an established number of known goals (recovering old content, established balance fixes, etc). A lot of the new servers are people that have no idea what they even want to see, Amia is ten years ahead of that curve... we just have to figure out how to make it happen.

Any sort of switch was going to lose players, and eventually something would have come along. This switch, to a EE of the same game, is the -best possible outcome-, it will cost the least, and allow for the most to transition. We know what works in this game, even if they way it was accomplished isn't viable now.

It will be frustrating, and some things will suck for awhile, but we made it through the same things once (broken feats, unbalanced classes and mechanics, whatever else), why not again? Lack of devs has always been a problem, because there's always more to do than available resources. This wouldn't be any different, just at a different point of the timeline.

StifterEL

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:08 PM 

Player

You said yourself there's a lack of devs, who would make the new server? Just making a simple version of Amia from scratch would be alot of work.
Amia has developed over years and years, just making a bare minimum playable version would be alot of hours of work.
How many players would we loose for the switch? If we lost too many who would then pay for the server upkeep?

Right now we're pulling like 6-10 players at the high points during the day. If we lost players on the change, what would our numbers even be?
Why would players of EE log to the new amia over the already established servers with high player counts?
We'd have none of the scripts that makes Amia unique from the other servers.
Not to mention the numbers for EE is not that great just look at the steam charts, all time peak is 1866 people and that's both single and multiplayer.
What will the numbers even be in like a months time?

Edit: We'll likely have the same struggle for players that we did before EE was released. Only now we'll have a simpler version of Amia and even less players.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next